Let's start with a new keeper and a centre-back

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Of all the positions that currently need strengthening, GK is probably the only one where the problem might improve on its own if we keep who we have. In every other position that improvement definitely won't happen unless we bring in new players.

Which would make starting with the GK position rather odd to my mind.

But really threads arguing about which position we need to strengthen first are pointless when pretty much every position needs to be strengthened. I mean I've literally seen people argue that all of GK, RB, CB, LB, CM, RW and CF are our big problem positions. If it was me I'd target RB, CB, CM and RW first but really you can take your pick.

edgar allan

Ok, that's fine then. We'll let him be distracted while we plummet further into mediocrity as he lets in goal after goal...:rolleyes:
The mediocrity has been coming consistently from the players infront of him for the last 5 years

Johan07

We need to seriously rebuild our midfield this summer.
From the beginning of the season Fellaini has left, Herrera seems to be gone. Pereira might leave just because he is not good enough. Pogba might try to force a move. Matic should be the first one gone just due to his performances this year.
Its not a good situation and we need to spend in midfield this summer more than anything else.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Would love to see what Ederson's statistics are in terms of saves - like how many shots per game and how much percent is he saving.

Allison has only 34% of his shots saved. Lowest in whole EPL.

Basically if you have the ball or win the ball back quickly, you can live with a half decent GK. He doesnt need to be world class or we don't need to be spending 100m on GK.

Long story short - if we can sort out defence who knows how to play from the back and defend , then we can manage with Romero in goal.

RooneyLegend

First you want us to chase any British whos ever played the sport, think Rice is as talented as De Ligt and De Jong and now you reckon our keeper is the biggest issue. Deary me.

van Nistelrooy

Keane didn't exactly say we needed a new keeper. He was listing off the problems that City and Liverpool have had with problem positions in the past and how they have solved them.

He mentioned about City needing fullbacks, then how Liverpool needed a new goalkeeper and defender, resulting in them buying replacements (Alisson and van Dijk). This was hastily followed by "United need to do the same".

He was referring to United needing to identify positions they need strengthening in, then spending money on reinforcements. Keane was never indicating we needed to replace de Gea!

Revaulx

I’d rather we signed three new forwards, at least two of whom are actually capable of playing wide (though not necessarily wingers); one of them being able to play on the right would be a bonus.

I really don’t understand the Caf’s mania about our abysmal play in the final third being all Smalling’s fault.

DDG’s awful form is indeed a major worry, and if it’s really because he wants to move elsewhere (where though?) then I suppose there’s no point in hanging onto him. Romero might not be good enough, but it’s not a foregone conclusion that a better keeper is available. As @sullydnl says, it makes no sense to force DDG out though; don’t we pay coaches to improve our players and help them through sticky patches? His coach is his mate; maybe the club should offer him a pay rise on condition that they choose a new coach to improve him. A return for Franz Hoek?

Von Mistelroum

Despite having 'top' attacking players our actual attack is terrible for a top team. We need to start with a decent midfielder to help Pogba and then get some much better forwards.

Maverick red

Give romero a go if de gea keeps being weird, no need to spend a fortune on a goalkeeper, cb, rb, rw priority. Get all 3 of those right things will look much better.

Last edited by a moderator:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
CB yes, keeper no. There's bigger problems. I can't confidently look at a single central midfielder of ours and think they will be at the club next season or they will start here next season. Herrera is gone, Pereira should go somewhere his level, McTominay is a decent squad player, Fred will have another chance next season to prove himself after a full year of adapting this year, Matic is too past it for the premier league, Pogba most likely wants to leave. It's as big of an issue as any.

Then our right back is either a kid who just turned 20 but has like 20 professional football games under his belt, the majority as sub appearances, or a 33 year old who in his peak was a back up winger for us, yet now is our starting right back for a few years in a row? Not great. Our right wing is... Lingard? Mata? 2 players who aren't good enough to start for us in their natural positions, let alone out of positions where they look half the player anyway. Rashford sometimes goes out there but just doesn't know how to play the position too well.

CM, CB, RW, RB and CM again. If we can make 5 signings, those are without a doubt needed. Gk, striker, any other positions... Future problems to sort out if what we have isn't enough in future windows.

Rory 7

Pickford, Maguire, Rice, Sancho and a no. 9. With the best of the yoof around them. Better than the current mess and at least it’s a spine. If we could find a real captain somewhere too that would help. Time for a major reboot.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Would love to see what Ederson's statistics are in terms of saves - like how many shots per game and how much percent is he saving.

Allison has only 34% of his shots saved. Lowest in whole EPL.

Basically if you have the ball or win the ball back quickly, you can live with a half decent GK. He doesnt need to be world class or we don't need to be spending 100m on GK.

Long story short - if we can sort out defence who knows how to play from the back and defend , then we can manage with Romero in goal.
Where are you getting stats from. Hear is some basic GK stats for the PL this season.

https://scores.nbcsports.com/epl/player_leaders.asp?category=108

mayonnaise

David is fine, it really surprises me that people are calling for him to be dropped he's been our best player for the past couple of years yet we cant give him a pass for a patch of poor form it's baffling. Our main focus should be the defence, It's imperative that Jones, Smalling and Young aren't in the starting back four next season. New contracts and quotes from Ole have me slightly worried that he'll try to persist with them but I guess decisions like that will decide how he does. A solid ball playing consistent back four will give a balance and calm to the team that we haven't had since 2013. Then we should look to midfield one or two ball playing midfield players that would compliment Pogba, Ruben Neves or David Brooks are some possible PL proven options.

I wouldn't make a forward signing we have enough talent in the front 3 areas and improvements behind them would increase their output drastically, I will say I don't think Martial or Rashford are wingers they should be competing for the CF potions, Sell Lukaku to fund signings and promote players like Chong to play the wings. I don't think we are that far off competing for the title but we have to be damn near flawless in the next few transfer windows.

deafepl

If any team presses us hard, it'd make it difficult for us to play our football if our CB and GK can't play out from the back, we have to get to reach the third final where they would normally stop press. We always try to bypass pressing through De Gea or CB hoofing ball over the top of the defence, they always gain possession so easily so they can attack us, it's bonus if many of their players were already in our third final which make it easier for them to attack and forced us to defend rather than pressing

If we want to keep possession under pressure and not hoofing balls, if we can play out from the back comfortably, then we can play our football and our possession of the ball would be high.

Like many midtable and the lower team could see how uncomfortable we could be if we play out from the back under pressure, they know and press us so hard to force us to hoof balls. If we were comfortable playing out from the back under pressure, they wouldn't dare to press us because they know that would mean they'd be leaving massive space left for us to exploit big space if we can play out from the back and bypass their high pressing without hoofing.

I hope De Gea can improve his distribution otherwise I am afraid, he has to go, I don't need any players that are holding us from transforming

SambaBoy

Bit of a knee-jerk regarding De Gea. He's still one of the best in the world and one bad season doesn't change that. He's still had his great games i.e v Spurs and other world class saves. He will come good again I'm sure, we just need to sort his future out and he needs to decide if he wants to be here.

A new CB is needed no doubt, maybe even two if possible. A commanding CB should be a priority and Koulibaly fits that criteria and in addition, he is excellent on the ball. Another young CB would go well with him, De Ligt would be perfect but I can't see us splashing out big on two CB's and I'm sure he will go elsewhere when he leaves Ajax.

Ideally bringing in 2 CB's, leaves us with 3 good CB's (two new additions + Lindelof). A 4th one should be kept for cover so one of Bailly, Jones, Smalling, Rojo. IMO it should be Bailly, he's had spells where he has been excellent but it hasn't been consistent and he suffers with switching off. Having said that, Jones and Smalling have been guilty of that for years and Rojo is always a minute away from giving away a penalty or getting a red card even when having an excellent game. The 5th CB could be Tunazebe or TFM as they will still get minutes due to our yearly injury crisis and amount of games with us most likely being in the Europa League.

In Rainbows

Pickford, Maguire, Rice, Sancho and a no. 9. With the best of the yoof around them. Better than the current mess and at least it’s a spine. If we could find a real captain somewhere too that would help. Time for a major reboot.
IF we wanted an English keeper we might as well go with our own Dean Henderson. More of a personality too.

davidmichael

I’d rather sell Pogba and replace him with a group of Eriksen, Rice, Neves and Rabiot and keep De Gea. If as expected Valencia, Darmian, Bailly, Rojo, Mata and maybe/hopefully Sanchez are all moved on this summer then that’s a lot of money saved in wages so give De Gea £300K-£350K a week as it’d cost £100 million plus wages to replace him.

IhabX7

How people here switched on De Gea is unbelievable. Literally unbelievable.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The attackers have issue, no doubt we need new players to upgrade it. But if we can’t build from the back then how are we going to actually create chances? You can’t expect scoring from open play by whipping the ball randomly from the back or play short sideway passes in between the defense.