Liga Portuguesa 20/21

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I generally hate that profile of goalkeeper mostly because of Ricardo causing me PTSD :lol:

Even the likes of Casillas or Lloris who are objectively great, I can’t appreciate them the same way most people do. A tall and safe goalkeeper will always be better than a short one with good reflexes for me
I know I am late to that conversation but I honestly feel we should import massively Brasilian Goalkeeping Coaches, to all group ages, 25 years ago the only class international keeper they had was Taffarel, today if you watch any game from Brasileirão I easily spot automatically at least 5 great keepers.

We honestly don't have expertise on that area. If I was from the Portuguese Federation or from the Top Clubs I would take the plane to bring their best professionals on that area to teach us. Not good enough what we do in this area.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Carvalhal :lol:

Every coach that works for Salvador is mandatory they have to hate Sporting. :lol::lol:

It won't last long but I am loving the hatred we are receiving from the 1 million Benfica pundits and fake independent journalists on the media. If only we could spend 100 million Euros to play like Mestre da Tática from Reboleira. :lol::lol::lol:

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Don't know what was worse, Carvalhal's behaviour on the bench or his post match interview.

Another uncalled penalty for us by the way, following the laughable penalty called against us in Belem, last week's uncalled penalty against Benfica and the gifted win for Porto in Guimarães. One major ref decision to go against us in every single game until we stop being in first place is business as usual.

Also, Pedro Porro is the best player in the league this season. What a beast

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Despite higher authorities trying very hard to take Sporting off the top the spirit and fight this young team has is keeping us in the top.

A HUGE win vs Braga today as we remain a top the table by 2 points (unless Benfica magically lose).

The truth is we should be ahead by a lot More then we are.

We have the best right and left backs in the league by far. Mendes and Porro. Porro was a monster tonight.

Nunes was great when he came on as well.
This will be a telling month for Sporting and there title aspirations. If we win all of our games this month including the game against Benfica then I would say we are favorites for the title.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Despite higher authorities trying very hard to take Sporting off the top the spirit and fight this young team has is keeping us in the top.

A HUGE win vs Braga today as we remain a top the table by 2 points (unless Benfica magically lose).

We have the best right and left backs in the league by far. Mendes and Porro. Porro was a monster tonight.

This will be a telling month for Sporting and there title aspirations. If we win all of our games this month including the game against Benfica then I would say we are favorites for the title.
It's Sporting, we won't be favourites for the title even if we are 10 points ahead in March.

We need to buy a good centreback in January and the depth of the squad will be tested at some point too as we have loads of players on 4 yellows and injuries will come so there is a lot that needs to go right to even get CL qualification.

The last couple of games we haven't been great so hopefully we improve fast as the games will be very tough in the next two months. Three away trips to Madeira, Porto and Benfica, Boavista and Gil Vicente away... a lot of room for failure there.

SportingCP96

Supports
It's Sporting, we won't be favourites for the title even if we are 10 points ahead in March.

We need to buy a good centreback in January and the depth of the squad will be tested at some point too as we have loads of players on 4 yellows and injuries will come so there is a lot that needs to go right to even get CL qualification.

The last couple of games we haven't been great so hopefully we improve fast as the games will be very tough in the next two months. Three away trips to Madeira, Porto and Benfica, Boavista and Gil Vicente away... a lot of room for failure there.
I agree, I think this could be a very important month of the league for Sporting.

If in January we can get a right center back and a striker that give us immediate quality we have a chance.

The Key to this is the big games. So far a tie to Porto and we beat Braga, a result vs Benfica (who are our kryptonite) can boost the confidence in these lads into believing the impossible is possible. We have been poor the past 3 games but somehow we have 9 points from the three of them.

Playing with no fans has been a blessing in disguise for us because in the close games at home our team can never handle the pressure of the fans.

The best Sporting team I have seen in my lifetime as a Sporting fan was the one from the 15/16 season...every time we walked on the pitch I knew we were going to win. Granted I don’t feel the same way about this years team in comparison but one think I must say is the fight in this team is very different. They are all United and they have a mentality like we have not seen in Sporting in a very very long time. Ruben Amorim deserves immense credit in that and I am so proud of what this young team has done.

I can only imagine if we had won that Famalicão game with that last minute Coates goal.....

Nonetheless the fact that we went on a 5 game winning streak since that draw just shows the mental strength in these guys. They brushed it off and used it as motivation.

Also want to shout out Coates, I absolutely love the man! Fantastic captain and leader for this team.

SportingCP96

Supports
@SCP fans: What happened to Eduardo Quaresma? Seems out of radar of your coach nowadays.
At the start of the season he got COVID so he missed 2 weeks and then he suffered a small knock which missed him another week so he was way behind in his preparations.

Now he is back to full fitness but the team is performing very well so it is hard for him to take the starting spot. Like the old saying goes “if it ain’t broke don’t fit it”.

Good news though is that Luis Neto has 4 yellow cards, one more and he will miss a game which means Quaresma will have to start and if he impresses maybe he gives the coach a good head ache.

He played on the cup games to good effect though.

He was unlucky at the start of the season.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
@SCP fans: What happened to Eduardo Quaresma? Seems out of radar of your coach nowadays.
Yes he got COVID during the preseason and tbh his performances dropped off, so he has played a couple of matches between the under 23 and B team. Both him and Goncalo Inácio are behind the 3 starters for that position. From their generation the 2 who are playing more are Nuno Mendes and Tiago Tomás, all in all even if Mendes is a good prospect at international level he needs to improve from a defensive point of view before he leaves for a Top League.

The Taurean

looks like a chipmunk
Nothing is so common as the wish to be remarkable.
Cheers for info. Read about covid which must have really put the brakes on his season. Would be interesting what this young squad turns out at end of season.
At the start of the season he got COVID so he missed 2 weeks and then he suffered a small knock which missed him another week so he was way behind in his preparations.

Now he is back to full fitness but the team is performing very well so it is hard for him to take the starting spot. Like the old saying goes “if it ain’t broke don’t fit it”.

Good news though is that Luis Neto has 4 yellow cards, one more and he will miss a game which means Quaresma will have to start and if he impresses maybe he gives the coach a good head ache.

He played on the cup games to good effect though.

He was unlucky at the start of the season.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal

Our schedule is terrible from now on, it’s not sustainable to keep this sequence of points. Also, beside knowing we have Quaresma or Inácio, if I had to pick a opportunity for a signing I would go for a centre back to upgrade Neto, we play with 3 and we need more quality there, more than a striker even. It would already be good if we can finish this season in second place, this squad isn’t good enough to win the league, and if we don’t sign at least one player to improve the squad it’s impossible to compete. I am all for youth players but between the under 23 and B team I don’t see anyone on the same level as Nuno Mendes or Tiago Tomas tbh.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Our schedule is terrible from now on, it’s not sustainable to keep this sequence of points. Also, beside knowing we have Quaresma or Inácio, if I had to pick a opportunity for a signing I would go for a centre back to upgrade Neto, we play with 3 and we need more quality there, more than a striker even. It would already be good if we can finish this season in second place, this squad isn’t good enough to win the league, and if we don’t sign at least one player to improve the squad it’s impossible to compete. I am all for youth players but between the under 23 and B team I don’t see anyone on the same level as Nuno Mendes or Tiago Tomas tbh.
Bragança should get more minutes, I think he could be important.

I don't even think we need a striker anymore. Sporar doesn't score but he's a good player and TT has proven that he can be a good option.
We really should get a CB to play in Neto's place though, I'd rather we get a very good CB than one average CB plus one average striker.

slored1

I don't even think we need a striker anymore. Sporar doesn't score but he's a good player and TT has proven that he can be a good option.
We really should get a CB to play in Neto's place though, I'd rather we get a very good CB than one average CB and one average striker.
How is Sporar doing overall? Here in Slovenia we had high expectations for him after he signed for Sporting.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Moreirense's manager Cesar Peixoto has resigned a few hours before the game against Porto because the president of the club demanded that he played a weakened squad in this game :lol:

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
How is Sporar doing overall? Here in Slovenia we had high expectations for him after he signed for Sporting.
I like him, we always play better when he's on the pitch imo. But he's way too wasteful in front of goal and he lacks that fire that south american strikers have. Had a great run yesterday for our second goal and was great coming off the bench.

Now we have the kid Tiago Tomas from the academy and they're fighting for a starting spot which means we're not likely to get another striker in January at least.

stankovic

Supports
inter
For Sporting fans, how has Gonzalo Plata been doing?
He's been impressive for Ecuador in Conmebol qualifiers, but i can see that he hasn't got much playing time this season in the league...

slored1

I like him, we always play better when he's on the pitch imo. But he's way too wasteful in front of goal and he lacks that fire that south american strikers have. Had a great run yesterday for our second goal and was great coming off the bench.

Now we have the kid Tiago Tomas from the academy and they're fighting for a starting spot which means we're not likely to get another striker in January at least.
Yeah, that lack of fire is also visible when he plays for our national team. I'm surprised about his finishing woes though, he never had troubles with it in other clubs. Hope that he'll come good in the end, I really like him as a player.

SportingCP96

Supports

I still think we need a striker. I like TT and he will get some goals but we need a clinical center forward.

I do agree we play better with Sporar in the lineup but I think that has more to do with the fact he has attributes that no other player in our team has (tall, strong, physical presence in the box) as opposed to him being good. He’s a an average player and a squad player at best but he can never be the starting striker of a team that is competing for championships (we aren’t so I guess he fits the bill)

SportingCP96

Supports
For Sporting fans, how has Gonzalo Plata been doing?
He's been impressive for Ecuador in Conmebol qualifiers, but i can see that he hasn't got much playing time this season in the league...
Team is doing too well for him to break in at the moment but the 2 cups games he played in I thought he was really good.

I like Plata he has lots of talent but has to develop more.

SportingCP96

Supports
Moreirense's manager Cesar Peixoto has resigned a few hours before the game against Porto because the president of the club demanded that he played a weakened squad in this game :lol:
Wait where was this said?! If this is true there needs to be an investigation done ASAP

SportingCP96

Supports
Bragança and Nunes are both great options but will be hard to start in front of JM because of his status.

We urgently need a Striker and a Center back if we have any aspiration of pulling of a massive unexpected and most likely improbable league title.

As you said though the absolute focus should be securing a CL place for next season. Once March hits we do the math and if the possibility is very much there then we have to go all in because we won’t have a better chance then this.

Playing without fans is a HUGE benefit to Sporting.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yes I had high expectations for him this season but Ruben seems to rate more Matheus Nunes than him. But with this sequence of games sooner or later he will need more minutes.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Bragança and Nunes are both great options but will be hard to start in front of JM because of his status.

We urgently need a Striker and a Center back if we have any aspiration of pulling of a massive unexpected and most likely improbable league title.

As you said though the absolute focus should be securing a CL place for next season. Once March hits we do the math and if the possibility is very much there then we have to go all in because we won’t have a better chance then this.

Playing without fans is a HUGE benefit to Sporting.
Still think we need more a centerback, in Portugal if you defend well it's halfway to take a lot of points. He has Sporar and Tiago Tomas, I am not one of those who thinks Sporar is terrible, he needs more confidence, but of course in the future we need to upgrade that position. Centerbacks receive a lot of yellow and red cards, it's terrible already with Neto, but you saw against Belenenses Inacio was all over the place.

SportingCP96

Supports

MADE IN ALCOCHETE

Great win from the lads tonight and this photo shows the riches of our academy and young men who are breaking through in what has been a promising season for the club and this young team.

A Trophy MADE IN Sporting with many academy players in the team.

First trophy of the season and now its time to focus on the ultimate prize!

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Carvalhal sent off twice in one game and Salvador with yet another bitter post-match press conference :lol: never change Braga.

Horrible refereeing, again. There's no way we keep first place much longer with these bullshit decisions every single week. Would be standard if Pote ends up suspended for the derby now.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Congratulations to Sporting fans. I was just having a look at the side to see who is next up off the talent line. I’m assuming Goncalves is obviously the next big money move, but what do you guys make of Palhinha? Could he be a serious option at DM for a side like us?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Congratulations to Sporting fans. I was just having a look at the side to see who is next up off the talent line. I’m assuming Goncalves is obviously the next big money move, but what do you guys make of Palhinha? Could he be a serious option at DM for a side like us?
Palhinha is a beast, he’d be useful at any club imo. If he keeps it up I can see a call up to the Euros and a transfer to a big club in his future. Could have a similar career path to Danilo who went to PSG last summer as I think they’re pretty similar. Al Musrati from Braga plays a similar role and he’s also a very good player by the way, one of the best players in the league.

I think Nuno Mendes is more likely to be our next big money transfer rather than Pote. Both of them are still a bit raw but Mendes is younger and the lack of quality fullbacks in world football means it’s inevitable that we’ll get a bucket load of money from someone soon while I think big clubs will be cautious to go all in on Pote as of now.

SportingCP96

Supports
Joao Palhinha is an absolute monster. He cleans up everything and is made for the EPL. He is another player who was touted for big things when in the academy and he took a while to finally break through but he has been the MVP of the team IMO. We are not the same team without him.

Pote should stay longer before making a move, Nuno Mendes is still the cash cow of the crop.

Another player who we will certainly buy who will garnish big money is right back Pedro Porro (21 Years Old). He is fecking brilliant.

SportingCP96

Supports
Carvalhal sent off twice in one game and Salvador with yet another bitter post-match press conference :lol: never change Braga.

Horrible refereeing, again. There's no way we keep first place much longer with these bullshit decisions every single week. Would be standard if Pote ends up suspended for the derby now.
They want to be us so bad:lol: the obsession is weird. Coates alone has more trophies than their whole club.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
80 minutes played, 20 fouls for Boavista, 0 yellow cards. Palhinha who got rested because he's on 4 yellow cards enters the pitch and does this as his first 'foul', yellow card and he's out of the derby. Was watching the game on a french stream and their commentator couldn't believe what happened, he probably doesn't follow portuguese football much.

Benfica have actually not been helped by the refs at all this season, luckily for them they play against us next.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Also, I'm sorry to the United fans (and Bruno) but City is now my favourite english team. Pedro Porro, what a player... one of the best deals I remember us making. Especially if it's true about there being no buy back clause.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Interesting that Porto have never won the Taca de Liga.
Portugal top 3 teams see the League Cup as a "bonus", they usually rotate the team until they reach the final four. If they get to final four then they will make more use of their starting 11.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Sporting is playing good football, but let's hope the VAR doesn't bring the title to Porto once again. Anyone but Porto to win the league.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Yes i know that but you still expect Porto would win this trophy a couple of times since the competition has started in 2007.
They've been very unlucky, lost a bunch of times on penalties and through last minute goals in the last 2 years