Liga Portuguesa 20/21

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Good win man. Really want Sporting to win this season. Congrats
The amount of last minute goals scored by Sporting this season is insane. Not even including the goals scored in the last 7 minutes of the game.

We are winning games that in years gone by we would have lost or dropped points in.

8 points ahead of second place and 11 in front of third and fourth.

I’m ecstatic and my heart is racing !

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I'm not going to make it to 50, Jesus Christ...

Paulinho was awful, can't have performances like this in games this important after 16 million. Matheus Reis was pretty good though

SportingCP96

Supports
I'm not going to make it to 50, Jesus Christ...

Paulinho was awful, can't have performances like this in games this important after 16 million. Matheus Reis was pretty good though
I think this will be a theme all second half of the season. Teams are going to start staying back all game.

However we are winning games that we would have lost every other season as long as I have been alive.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I think this will be a theme all second half of the season. Teams are going to start staying back all game.
I think Gil have the right players to counter our playing style, the first game against them was also very tough.

Neto can't start anymore, he's simply not good enough at any part of the game. Below average technically, physically, posicionally... Inácio has to start. Especially in these games where we have the ball for pretty much the entire game. If Paulinho performs we'll be fine in these games, I really hope today was a one-off because he can't have more than a couple of these performances a year after the money we spent on him.

Also, Matheus Nunes and Bragança are very talented but I want João Mário starting every single time.

SportingCP96

Supports
I think Gil have the right players to counter our playing style, the first game against them was also very tough.

Neto can't start anymore, he's simply not good enough at any part of the game. Below average technically, physically, posicionally... Inácio has to start. Especially in these games where we have the ball for pretty much the entire game. If Paulinho performs we'll be fine in these games, I really hope today was a one-off because he can't have more than a couple of these performances a year after the money we spent on him.

Also, Matheus Nunes and Bragança are very talented but I want João Mário starting every single time.
I agree with everything except the Joao Mario part. He came on and did well this game but he has been on a bad run of form for a long time now. Matheus Nunes has played very well the last few gamesome Bragança does well every time he comes on and is our most talented midfielder but I understand why he is not playing as much.

Nunes and Palhinha is a much better and more balanced midfield then with JM IMO.

Charlie Foley

More dropped points for Benfica and Porto (more importantly). Sporting have a death grip on this title race

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
More dropped points for Benfica and Porto (more importantly). Sporting have a death grip on this title race
Not yet. Tomorrow we have a very tough game as Paços are class this year but yes, things are looking good for us.

Also, after years of complaining about Benfica being helped by the refs I have to say that this season they've clearly been harmed a lot more often than they've been helped. Unlike Porto who cheat more than any team I've ever seen.

Charlie Foley

Not yet. Tomorrow we have a very tough game as Paços are class this year but yes, things are looking good for us.

Also, after years of complaining about Benfica being helped by the refs I have to say that this season they've clearly been harmed a lot more often than they've been helped. Unlike Porto who cheat more than any team I've ever seen.
I would agree with the second paragraph. feck Porto. As for the first part, you are right, it's not over until it's over and you never know, I just don't see Porto and especially Benfica having anything like the consistency needed. Though I understand your hesitancy :lol:

SportingCP96

Supports
If we win tomorrow I think we might actually do it. My mind has not fully allowed itself to believe it because being a Sporting fan makes you numb to happiness :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
How are Sporting clube so good all of a sudden? You changed president and 99% of your squad as you were all demanding about 18 months back?! :lol:

Seems you've got a decent up and coming manager in now given he was at Braga last year.

Must be some good up and coming talent given vast majority of squad is home grown again. Had completely forgot about Joao Mario's existence!

NYAS

This is what happens when you leave the greatest non-European club in the world and go back trying to dominate a league you’ve already squeezed the life out of.

(I’d still take you back in a second, JJ :D)

SportingCP96

Supports
How are Sporting clube so good all of a sudden? You changed president and 99% of your squad as you were all demanding about 18 months back?! :lol:

Seems you've got a decent up and coming manager in now given he was at Braga last year.

Must be some good up and coming talent given vast majority of squad is home grown again. Had completely forgot about Joao Mario's existence!
Very promising young coach, Very promising young youth academy talents, then we also went and made transfers of young and or good players within the league who mixed in flawlessly with the squad and we made smart transfers by adding experience with feddal and Adan.

I still think Varandas is a complete clown/cancer BUT in the end of the day the most important thing is SPORTING.

I will say he made all the right moves in the transfer market and acquiring Amorim but his negotiation skills are awful as he massively overpaid for every single transfer.

If we win the title though I won't complain.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
This is what happens when you leave the greatest non-European club in the world and go back trying to dominate a league you’ve already squeezed the life out of.

(I’d still take you back in a second, JJ :D)
You are from Brasil?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Ryan Gauld has 6 goals 4 assists. Is he playing well enough to move to a bigger team?

SportingCP96

Supports
Ryan Gauld has 6 goals 4 assists. Is he playing well enough to move to a bigger team?
I wish Sporting would give him a real chance but if I was Gauld I don’t know if I would risk my career again by going there and not playing. It took him a while for him to bounce back after sporting.

I don’t know why it did not work out for him here, he is clearly very talented and he adapted well to the country and culture (he speaks fluent Portuguese). I would love him at Sporting again tbh.

A move to Braga I reckon would be good for him.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
What the hell has become of Boavista?

I see they're sitting in the relegation zone. A once perennial top three side and regular European performer.
I think you're memory is being tricked by their results between 1998 and 2002. Before that period they finished in the top 3 once or twice in 70 years and played a little over 20 europeans rounds, only once going further than the last 16.

I mean they are an historical club for sure, but I feel people get stuck in that amazing period and paint their historical results in better light than reality.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

We’re not as good in terms of squad quality as the league table might suggest but there have been a lot of improvements, we had our best summer ever imo, every signing has looked good and a bunch of kids from the academy have turned out great. We’ve had a lot of late winners and no European football has helped a lot, also Benfica are having a disastrous season after huge investment and Porto have been pretty average so we’re benefitting from that too.

We signed Paulinho as our most expensive signing ever two weeks ago from Braga so we’re hoping he can make a difference in this second half of the season. If he performs at the same level he did at Braga then we should get even better. Palhinha as CDM and two wingbacks in Porro and Nuno Mendes that will jump to big European clubs soon enough have been the key to our great season so far.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
What the hell has become of Boavista?

I see they're sitting in the relegation zone. A once perennial top three side and regular European performer.
They’re better than their league position suggests, Jesualdo should be able to keep them up. Been very unlucky with referee decision just like Ryan Gauld’s Farense. Would be very unfair if either of those teams go down.

I really hope it’s two of Famalicão, Gil Vicente, Maritimo and Tondela that go down. Less so Maritimo than the other three since going to Madeira is always an interesting game. Académica and Estoril coming up would also be great.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
No, but I got hooked on Flamengo a couple of years ago and they have been my 2nd team since then (after United).
I suspect you aren't old enough to having started following them since Zico. But yes that Flamengo under Jesus was very good by South American recent standards, but his return to Portugal has been a semi disaster.

On another note if from the total of 45 points we take 26 I think it will be enough to win the League, let's wait and see.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Flamengo fighting for the brazilian league title again until the end and Abel winning the Libertadores with an inferior squad has made JJ's accomplishments there look less impressive for me.

If he goes back I don't think he'd do anywhere near as well. He looks like he has no fight anymore, his demeanour on the bench yesterday was awful.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Flamengo fighting for the brazilian league title again until the end and Abel winning the Libertadores with an inferior squad has made JJ's accomplishments there look less impressive for me.

If he goes back I don't think he'd do anywhere near as well. He looks like he has no fight anymore, his demeanour on the bench yesterday was awful.
His Flamengo played great football by recent Brazilian standards, in the last 10 years JJ Flamengo and Corinthians under Tite were the 2 only teams from South America who could play at a good level vs European teams. But his return has been a disaster, I don't know if his mental condition is good, trying to make a sub with 94 minutes played and later saying that he didn't noticed that, he certainly isn't what he was 5/10 years ago.

NYAS

The league this season though has been an absolute dogfight at all parts of the table and we still won’t win it. With JJ we walked the league after he put us on an insane run for the second half of the season. Also, his achievements in Libertadores is mainly why he is revered in Rio, not as much as the domestic league. Being knocked out by Racing in the last 16 is pretty hard evidence that we are miles worse without him now.

Also on Abel, I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on that. The guy got completely destroyed in the 2nd leg semi and barely made it through, and won the final with a last minute header.

I get what you’re trying to say, but if you look at the manner in which these things have happened compared to when JJ was there, it really is quite a big difference. I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions from it.

Finally, I agree on your final point. It would be a nice romantic story but I think he is done. My dream is Jardim.

SportingCP96

Supports
I feel as though most Portuguese coaches would do well in Brazil. Brazilians coaches really are not that good.

I do agree though that JJ Flamengo would absolutely destroy Abel palmeiras.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
The league this season though has been an absolute dogfight at all parts of the table and we still won’t win it.
Why such low confidence? A win in the next game and a draw at Sao Paulo is enough, I think they can pull it off

Being knocked out by Racing in the last 16 is pretty hard evidence that we are miles worse without him now.
They lost on penalties in the last 16. With JJ they also went to penalties in the round of 16 against Emelec, just happened to win one and lose the other. He also won the final at the end like Abel.

I agree that he did a good job and that they're worse off now but I honestly think his work there got overrated by both Flamengo fans and the portuguese media who treated him like a God for it.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Also on Abel, I wouldn’t put too much emphasis on that. The guy got completely destroyed in the 2nd leg semi and barely made it through, and won the final with a last minute header.
With a small/big difference. He didn't had not even close the same type of financial investment like Flamengo had.

Not even the same amount of time JJ had to coach at Flamengo, he had 3 weeks to work the team in a small pre season, Abel always had a sequence of games between 72/96 hours, and the only signing they had was Breno Lopes a guy from Serie B and Kuscevic and Empereur, none of them is a starter.

I agree JJ football concepts are better but Abel never worked in a club where he had a budget to sign whoever he wants.

I feel as though most Portuguese coaches would do well in Brazil. Brazilians coaches really are not that good.
It's not like that because in Brazil if you lose 2 matches in a row the media already starts to demand the coach to be sacked, the competition between the clubs is very thight, there's not big differences as you see in Europe. But yes that Flamengo team was way better than Palmeiras.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I agree that he did a good job and that they're worse off now but I honestly think his work there got overrated by both Flamengo fans and the portuguese media who treated him like a God for it.
Absolutely. By the way I think it would be a big mistake for Flamengo to bring him back, the only other club in Brazil where I can see him having the type of investment he likes is Atletico Mineiro, honestly he is a disgrace working with players coming from the youth teams. He was very good until 5 years ago, but not as good as he thinks he is.

NYAS

I do agree though that JJ Flamengo would absolutely destroy Abel palmeiras.
I would agree, with a couple of exceptions. Sa Pinto for example came to Vasco and took them to the relegation zone and they are still there. They might actually get relegated in 2 weeks. That’s shocking for a club their size.

There are a couple of good up and coming Brazilian coaches with potential, for example the young guy at Red Bull Bragantino. But in general I agree, there are a lot of dinosaur Brazilian coaches who manage exactly like Big Sam or Steve Bruce.

Why such low confidence? A win in the next game and a draw at Sao Paulo is enough, I think they can pull it off

They lost on penalties in the last 16. With JJ they also went to penalties in the round of 16 against Emelec, just happened to win one and lose the other. He also won the final at the end like Abel.

I just think it’s too much of a GD swing required. Like you, I believe that’s what will happen, which (assuming Inter beat Corinthians in their final game) would put us both on 72 points. The first tiebreaker in Brazil is number of wins and we would both have 21 wins. And then it comes to GD; currently it’s a difference of 7. To turn that around in 2 games we would have to beat them by 4 or 5, and then hope they only win by 1 v Corinthians. We have to win both games really and SP away is always a terrible game.

With a small/big difference. He didn't had not even close the same type of financial investment like Flamengo had.

Not even the same amount of time JJ had to coach at Flamengo, he had 3 weeks to work the team in a small pre season, Abel always had a sequence of games between 72/96 hours, and the only signing they had was Breno Lopes a guy from Serie B and Kuscevic and Empereur, none of them is a starter.

I agree JJ football concepts are better but Abel never worked in a club where he had a budget to sign whoever he wants.

It's not like that because in Brazil if you lose 2 matches in a row the media already starts to demand the coach to be sacked, the competition between the clubs is very thight, there's not big differences as you see in Europe. But yes that Flamengo team was way better than Palmeiras.
You make a fair point. However the football concepts as you mentioned is a major factor somewhere like Brazil. There are a lot of coaches who play like Abel plays but very few, if any, who can implement a style like JJ did with the high line and attacking football (this may change next season with Ramirez and Crespo). So I think it’s more than just preparation and investment. Whatever he has turned into now, JJ deserves credit for that.

Absolutely. By the way I think it would be a big mistake for Flamengo to bring him back, the only other club in Brazil where I can see him having the type of investment he likes is Atletico Mineiro, honestly he is a disgrace working with players coming from the youth teams. He was very good until 5 years ago, but not as good as he thinks he is.
Mineiro have reported record profits strangely and have been making some really crazy deals for a Brazilian club; Matias Zaracho (who should be in Europe already), Vargas, Hulk, and they are even going for Nacho Fernandez of River. You can imagine what kind of money it takes to handpick one of Gallardo’s main starters at River for the past 5 years. They are backing Sampaoli like there is no tomorrow, and if he doesn’t bring the title next season he’s gone.

pascell

Also, I'm sorry to the United fans (and Bruno) but City is now my favourite english team. Pedro Porro, what a player... one of the best deals I remember us making. Especially if it's true about there being no buy back clause.

Apologies for the random reply but that goal is Nani-esque, as was the turn to fool the defender.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
They are backing Sampaoli like there is no tomorrow, and if he doesn’t bring the title next season he’s gone.
I am not so sure Sampaoli will stay, there are rumours he is going to Marseille, reason why I mentioned JJ.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I am not going to watch the game vs Porto. I discovered today that I am not used to win so many matches on a row, and I forgot what it meant to feel nervous watching a game of football. Not prepared to be smashed there with Conceição furiously showing his rage against us.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I am not going to watch the game vs Porto. I discovered today that I am not used to win so many matches on a row, and I forgot what it meant to feel nervous watching a game of football. Not prepared to be smashed there with Conceição furiously showing his rage against us.
We're due a result there, it's been 5 years since we've managed to not lose a game away to Porto. I'm going to take this week to mentally prepare myself to deal with all kinds of dirty tricks that will be coming our way in that game :lol:

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
We're due a result there, it's been 5 years since we've managed to not lose a game away to Porto. I'm going to take this week to mentally prepare myself to deal with all kinds of dirty tricks that will be coming our way in that game :lol:
I am not prepared. I am bracing myself to ignore that match. This century we only won there 2 times for the League, and at best 2 or 3 draws. I don't want to give Ceição the pleasure of sarcastically saying "Yes they are favourites but we are better". Not used to feel anxiety again watching a football match, I am only preparing for the worst because I am fed up of being mocked when we fail.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I am not prepared. I am bracing myself to ignore that match. This century we only won there 2 times for the League, and at best 2 or 3 draws. I don't want to give Ceição the pleasure of sarcastically saying "Yes they are favourites but we are better". Not used to feel anxiety again watching a football match, I am only preparing for the worst because I am fed up of being mocked when we fail.
Not paying much attention to what Conceição says should be a requirement to watch football in this country :lol:

It's only 3 points, we could win that one and then lose the next 3 games or the exact opposite. I'm only preparing for the worst referee performance of the season after an incredible amount of pressure put on the ref, hopefully we can get win regardless.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
They’re better than their league position suggests, Jesualdo should be able to keep them up. Been very unlucky with referee decision just like Ryan Gauld’s Farense. Would be very unfair if either of those teams go down.

I really hope it’s two of Famalicão, Gil Vicente, Maritimo and Tondela that go down. Less so Maritimo than the other three since going to Madeira is always an interesting game. Académica and Estoril coming up would also be great.
Selfishly I hope Estoril make it! My daughter goes to school literally 2 minutes away from their ground (or at least she did prior to the recent lockdown). Strongly considering buying a season ticket assuming attending matches is a possibility next season.