Liga Portuguesa 2022/2023

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Just noticed Braga and Porto okay each other next match day so Benfica have a possible huge change to widen the gap in both or one of them.

They are having an Absolute cakewalk of a season.

Charlie Foley

Just noticed Braga and Porto okay each other next match day so Benfica have a possible huge change to widen the gap in both or one of them.

They are having an Absolute cakewalk of a season.
Brother all the teams have to play each other :lol:

SportingCP96

Supports
Brother all the teams have to play each other :lol:
Obviously but thanks to their schedule and the other two dropping points left right and center and playing each other before they do they have widened the gap considerably to Sporting and Porto are another slip up away from being ways behind.

If that happens the only hope is that Braga keeps up with them.

You don’t seriously think Sporting has a chance at 11 points behind do you? Genuine question.

SportingCP96

Supports
Braga have been showing the will fight and grit of champions with some late winners and scares like vs Rio Ave.

After a tie vs Sporting their HUGE test to announce their title challenge will be VS Porto

If they can leave the Dragão with a positive result they are challengers.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Braga have been showing the will fight and grit of champions with some late winners and scares like vs Rio Ave.

After a tie vs Sporting their HUGE test to announce their title challenge will be VS Porto

If they can leave the Dragão with a positive result they are challengers.
I hope they draw or Braga wins :angel:

SportingCP96

Supports
I hope they draw or Braga wins :angel:
A Porto loss takes them out of the title race and leaves Braga as the only challenger.

However not the worse thing having Braga as the main rival like in 09-10 because their experience will let them down.

Benfica after next match day will be even further ahead.

SportingCP96

Supports
Surprise team of the season for me has been newly promoted casa pia. They have some good players on that team, Godwin probably being their best, and they seem to be a thought nut to crack.

I like the project at the club and it seems to be working.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Surprise team of the season for me has been newly promoted casa pia. They have some good players on that team, Godwin probably being their best, and they seem to be a thought nut to crack.

I like the project at the club and it seems to be working.
I am surprised that they are coping so well too, but not surprised with the team organization: they were by far the most organized team last season at Liga 2. Too bad they couldn't keep Jota Silva, because they would be doing a bit better with him and Saviour terrorizing the opposition defenses with their speed and dribbling.

I am trying to make a 10th matchday balance of the season, let's hope I have the time. Unfortunatelly this season didn't had the time to make the usual "rough guide" of the season start.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I'm a bit late, but just to say Vitória Guimarães ultras are fecking cnuts. By far the worst ultras in Portugal in terms of violence, racism, intimidation and destruction wherever they go.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
I'm a bit late, but just to say Vitória Guimarães ultras are fecking cnuts. By far the worst ultras in Portugal in terms of violence, racism, intimidation and destruction wherever they go.
Their ultras are quite feared, yes. Even Porto's Ultras, who are dangerous criminals fear facing them (but then again, which Ultra football movement is not involved in human, drugs and guns traffic? Probably every ultra group in the world.). Not a big group, but extremely organized and they actually pratice some group mma, that's why regular cops won't be enough to handle them (one of their leaders is a BJJ instructor :nono: ).
But their home environment is amazing. Even if they start blocking the ultras in the stadium, the support to the team would continue to be great.

Charlie Foley

Obviously but thanks to their schedule and the other two dropping points left right and center and playing each other before they do they have widened the gap considerably to Sporting and Porto are another slip up away from being ways behind.

If that happens the only hope is that Braga keeps up with them.

You don’t seriously think Sporting has a chance at 11 points behind do you? Genuine question.
Porto and Braga only 3 behind Benfica now. And Benfica have more hard games left as all the others have played each other

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

This was a penalty and a red card. There’s VAR and that was their decision. Portuguese football needs to die in a hole

The games are won or lost before they start

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica

This was a penalty and a red card. There’s VAR and that was their decision. Portuguese football needs to die in a hole

Both Pk's on this match were non-existent-

Charlie Foley

Jesus Christ that’s a terrible call

SportingCP96

Supports
Amar thing happened in the VSC vs Benfica geme. I am still trying to figure out how VSC did not get a penalty.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I recently watch a bit of Portuguese football and I have to admit I like it very much, beautiful football.

IFC 1905

Future top, top player. I have wet dreams with him and Casemiro in midfield.

@fbwonderkids
Enzo Fernández (21) made 7 key passes, assisted a goal, and completed ALL of his 75 passes…

In the first half v. Rio Ave.

SportingCP96

Supports

Future top, top player. I have wet dreams with him and Casemiro in midfield.

@fbwonderkids
Enzo Fernández (21) made 7 key passes, assisted a goal, and completed ALL of his 75 passes…

In the first half v. Rio Ave.
Good player for sure but I think the player that will earn them the most money is 18 year old CB Antonio Silva. Very very talented it must be said.

He had Neymar and Mbappe in his pocket.

SportingCP96

Supports
PSG owner bought 21% of Braga.

Interesting to see if this will be a “real” investment or if it’s a way to just put reserve players playing high level football in Portugal for their development.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
PSG owner bought 21% of Braga.

Interesting to see if this will be a “real” investment or if it’s a way to just put reserve players playing high level football in Portugal for their development.
It will probably be used for players investments, so they can later be sold at a special price to another PSG owned club.

SportingCP96

Supports
It will probably be used for players investments, so they can later be sold at a special price to another PSG owned club.
That’s what I am thinking as well but I think it’s beneficial for both Braga and the PSG owners for this to be a sporting objective.

It would be good for Portugal if Braga became stronger and became a real threat the big 3.

SportingCP96

Supports
21% is a pretty decent chunk. I have a feeling they will aid Braga in getting some talents even if it’s not a direct money investment.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
21% is a pretty decent chunk. I have a feeling they will aid Braga in getting some talents even if it’s not a direct money investment.
They will spend the majority of the money on eating cabrito, posta, pudim abade de priscos and vinho verde.

SportingCP96

Supports
I don’t have any sources to confirm this but I am very confident that the plan from the PSG owner is to eventually buy a much larger percent of Braga. I highly doubt he Is going to stop at 21%.

He has taken a nothing club into prominence before (PSG) so I would not be surprised if he tried to create another competitive clube (in Portugal at least).

It is very hard if not almost impossible to buy any of the big 3 at the moment as the fans would be very much against it.

So the next best thing is to buy the 4th best club in the country who is desperate to dethrone the big 3.

If Braga is successful with this it might cause the big 3 down the line to rethink their no outside investment policy.

SportingCP96

Supports

After watching this video I figured I would ask a fun little interactive question.

From 2015-2022

What would be your starting lineup of players who have played or are playing in the Portuguese league?

Lots of fun names and hopefully interesting lineups. Militao, Casemiro, Raphinha are jusr some sleepers that played their trade in Portugal.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Surprised no major clubs trying to secure Diogo Costa, if you bare in mind he was a key player in the last games of last season and basically kept Porto alive against Leverkussen in a game where Porto won 0-3 but if you watch the highlights they got themselves a win against the flow of the game.

SportingCP96

Supports
What is happening to Sporting? They seem to become gluttons for suffering.
It’s funny when people question me when I say the season was over back in September.

This is yearssssss of seeing this that I already know when it’s coming.

This simply confirmed what I already knew and that is that the season is over.

- League is over
- taça is over
- CL elimination imminent
- league cup will be eliminated as well

In the summer Pote, Porro, Ugarte, Edwards and Amorim will leave if CL is not secured. If we do get CL then only porro and Pote.

SportingCP96

Supports
What is happening to Sporting? They seem to become gluttons for suffering.
As to what happened it’s simple. Varandas and Amorim are at fault but I am more frustrated with Amorim though I still believe in him.

- We have 1 striker on the team for a 60 game season give or take. That striker scores 5 goals a season. That is unacceptable and just plain retarded by Amorim to insist on not wanting a striker.

- We lost Palhinha, Nunes, and Sarabia. (The spine of the midfield and our best player/difference maker.

- Zero squad depth. Who do we have in midfield besides Ugarte and Morita?

- We spent 10M on a defender who can’t play more then 45 minutes in a game without scoring.

- We insist on the same starting eleven every game and have stopped the promotion of youth players as was in the first season which started the reign of Amorim. Why are Mateus Fernandes, Essugo, Gonçalo Esteves, and Rodrigo Ribeiro not featured more and Given a chance to prove their worth?

- We have no goals and no goal scoring options. A major issue is that when Sporting score first, the game opens up to how we want to play and the fluid front line works. The issue is that if it’s not working or we are behind their is NOBODY not one fecking striker to come on and provide us with goals and push the opposing back line back.

- Amorim has been STUBBORN. Refusing to accept his faults and admit when he was wrong even publicly saying, “we can lose 10 games in a row and it still won’t change my opinion on how we play or not having a striker etc.” I’m sorry but that is ignorant and blind.

If things don’t change he will fall down the rabbit hole quick and those same fans who adore him (me included) will turn on him and rightfully so.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
As to what happened it’s simple. Varandas and Amorim are at fault but I am more frustrated with Amorim though I still believe in him.

- We have 1 striker on the team for a 60 game season give or take. That striker scores 5 goals a season. That is unacceptable and just plain retarded by Amorim to insist on not wanting a striker.

- We lost Palhinha, Nunes, and Sarabia. (The spine of the midfield and our best player/difference maker.

- Zero squad depth. Who do we have in midfield besides Ugarte and Morita?

- We spent 10M on a defender who can’t play more then 45 minutes in a game without scoring.

- We insist on the same starting eleven every game and have stopped the promotion of youth players as was in the first season which started the reign of Amorim. Why are Mateus Fernandes, Essugo, Gonçalo Esteves, and Rodrigo Ribeiro not featured more and Given a chance to prove their worth?

- We have no goals and no goal scoring options. A major issue is that when Sporting score first, the game opens up to how we want to play and the fluid front line works. The issue is that if it’s not working or we are behind their is NOBODY not one fecking striker to come on and provide us with goals and push the opposing back line back.

- Amorim has been STUBBORN. Refusing to accept his faults and admit when he was wrong even publicly saying, “we can lose 10 games in a row and it still won’t change my opinion on how we play or not having a striker etc.” I’m sorry but that is ignorant and blind.

If things don’t change he will fall down the rabbit hole quick and those same fans who adore him (me included) will turn on him and rightfully so.
The problem is... you either embrace it's a bad season and keep faith in the long term project, or do the good-old fashion sacking trying to solve the problem, but potentially aggravating the whole season.
Second thing: transfer and squad decisions should never be up to the current manager. There are few managers in the world with that power: usually managers are mediocre scouts as history and statistics prove it. The Football Department should be ahead of transfer activity, and the manager can say yay or nay. Suggested players by the manager would only be accepted if they were in the football departments shortlist.

SportingCP96

Supports
The problem is... you either embrace it's a bad season and keep faith in the long term project, or do the good-old fashion sacking trying to solve the problem, but potentially aggravating the whole season.
Second thing: transfer and squad decisions should never be up to the current manager. There are few managers in the world with that power: usually managers are mediocre scouts as history and statistics prove it. The Football Department should be ahead of transfer activity, and the manager can say yay or nay. Suggested players by the manager would only be accepted if they were in the football departments shortlist.
That’s the cAmp im in (long term project).

I don’t think we’re as bad as we have been and we have shown that at time this season. I also believe that Amorim is a good coach and the right man for the job. I don’t see him getting sacked.

I do however see him leaving the club as I feel his and Varandas relationship is tainted ever since the Nunes deal.

As for the transfers it’s very evident Amorim has a huge say. Esgaio and Paulinho were his guys and you can see it now as they are un dropable. Same as Trincao.

Slimani was never someone Amorim wanted and he got forced out the club despite being the exact type of striker we needed.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Watching Porto vs Benfica and the quality has been absolutely dire. Porto had a man sent off in the 27th minute, which doesn't help, but even before that their pass completion was at something like 58%. Benfica have looked a little bit more like a football team but aren't looking especially dangerous either.

Is the league in general in a bit of a rebuilding phase as a result of the promising players being hoovered up quicker and quicker by PL clubs etc? That Porto side especially looks like the weakest team I've seen from them (on paper) in a long time, and they're the champions.

Very possible of course that I've just picked a shit match to watch. :wenger: