Lindegaard

humdinger

Who? The 27 year old OB reject from Aalesund that the Danish greatest keeper ever says wasn't good enough and comes of as a cock in interviews or De Gea?
So you're writing him off purely because Schmeichel did? Schmeichel comes across as a cock himself sometimes, legend or not. He didn't exactly do Lindegaard or the club any favours with those comments.

Why not give Lindegaard a chance before you slate him? He's not done anything wrong so far.

TheGame

Who? The 27 year old OB reject from Aalesund that the Danish greatest keeper ever says wasn't good enough and comes of as a cock in interviews or De Gea?
I meant Lindegaard. We wouldn't have signed him unless he has some quality (cue previous bad signing jokes), I personally have not seen enough of him to judge. Will be interesting to see how he does next season in games De Gea is rested in. Oh and I wouldn't take everything Schmeichel says as certain. He did sign for Man City after all.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
So you're writing him off purely because Schmeichel did? Schmeichel comes across as a cock himself sometimes, legend or not. He didn't exactly do Lindegaard or the club any favours with those comments.

Why not give Lindegaard a chance before you slate him? He's not done anything wrong so far.
I'm not writing him off. I see his purpose as our number 2 keeper. I just think it's bizarre for people to think that he's going to compete for the number 1 spot. Only chance of that is if De Gea gets injured or will be horrible and he gets it by default.

Have you people seen him make a save?

Can't see how I've slated him. He comes off just like Bendtner in interview and Bendtner gets a loooot of stick here. And he fecked off to a poor Norwegian team because he didn't want to compete with Roy Carroll for a spot in a much stronger league. Somehow at age 27 he's going to be the answer to our problem? I think not. And I'm fairly good in my goalkeeping knowledge in Norway because I do follow the league a bit. It has a high number of Icelandic players there.

I'm just saying people to chill a bit. He got a lot of praise for a non game against New England.

Simply look at the facts.

He was at OB. Didn't make it there and Roy Carroll forced him out of the 1st team. Couldn't handle it and buggered off to Norway.
Been here 6 months but still we try our hardest to splurge on a keeper. And we did. For about 17m.

He's 27 and what has he done so far in his career?

I like Denmark. At world level it's the national team I support because I grew up there and am moving there in less than a month. If he somehow surprises me and shoves every bit of scepticism I have about him down my throat than everybody is a winner. Great. But I simply truly believe he's nothing more and never will be anything more than our number 2 keeper. I wish him well, I know he will play some games and will be hoping for the best but I just really dispute the notion that he will challenge De Gea.

humdinger

I'm not writing him off. I see his purpose as our number 2 keeper. I just think it's bizarre for people to think that he's going to compete for the number 1 spot. Only chance of that is if De Gea gets injured or will be horrible and he gets it by default.

Have you people seen him make a save?

Can't see how I've slated him. He comes off just like Bendtner in interview and Bendtner gets a loooot of stick here. And he fecked off to a poor Norwegian team because he didn't want to compete with Roy Carroll for a spot in a much stronger league. Somehow at age 27 he's going to be the answer to our problem? I think not. And I'm fairly good in my goalkeeping knowledge in Norway because I do follow the league a bit. It has a high number of Icelandic players there.

I'm just saying people to chill a bit. He got a lot of praise for a non game against New England.

He was at OB. Didn't make it there and Roy Carroll forced him out of the 1st team. Couldn't handle it and buggered off to Norway.
Been here 6 months but still we try our hardest to splurge on a keeper. And we did. For about 17m.

He's 27 and what has he done so far in his career?

I like Denmark. At world level it's the national team I support because I grew up there and am moving there in less than a month. If he somehow surprises me and shoves every bit of scepticism I have about him down my throat than everybody is a winner. Great. But I simply truly believe he's nothing more and never will be anything more than our number 2 keeper. I wish him well, I know he will play some games and will be hoping for the best but I just really dispute the notion that he will challenge De Gea.
To me calling him the Bendtner of the goalkeeping world is slating him, but if you were commenting on his attitude rather than his ability then you probably have seen/read more interviews that I have so fair enough.

I think we all expect De Gea will be no 1 and will be a wee star for us (even if it takes him a bit of time to adjust) and Lindegaard will be no 2. But Lindegaard has done fine in the few appearances he's made for us and I like that he has come out and said he will fight for the no 1 jersey. I'd expect nothing less, to be honest, so good for him.

twitchchris

I was at the match against New England Revolution and Lindegaard did not fill me with confidence. He made some excellent saves, but looked nervous often. He seemed to be looking for reassurance from Vidic throughout the first half. Also his ball distribution left a lot to be desired.

Granted van der Sar spoiled me, and a comparison would be cruel, but Lindegaard was a bit of a let down.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde

OB sacked their keeper during 2009 and Lindegaard was expected to take over. Before he had a chance to prove his worth OB signed Roy Caroll and Lindegaard realised he wouldn't get a proper chance, given Caroll's stature and wage. He wanted out and signed for Aalesund.

Are you going to slate him for showing ambition because he wasn't happy with being second choice in OB? Caroll was a big signing for OB so Lindegaard was never going to get a proper chance, so why should he stay and "handle it"?

27 isn't old by any means for a goalkeeper, so I can't see why you're writing Lindegaard off. He never had a chance to prove his worth at OB, but when he transferred to Aalesund he played well enough to draw the attention of our club, so saying he hasn't done anything yet is nonsense really.

I'm not saying he'll be our first choice next year. I'm pretty certain that'll be De Gea, but I think it's stupid to write him off because he's 27 and hasn't played on a higher level yet. Schmeichel was 28 when United signed him and he'd only played for Brøndby then. Of course Brøndby played in Europe unlike Aalesund, but you get the point.

Snow

OB sacked their keeper during 2009 and Lindegaard was expected to take over. Before he had a chance to prove his worth OB signed Roy Caroll and Lindegaard realised he wouldn't get a proper chance, given Caroll's stature and wage. He wanted out and signed for Aalesund.

Are you going to slate him for showing ambition because he wasn't happy with being second choice in OB? Caroll was a big signing for OB so Lindegaard was never going to get a proper chance, so why should he stay and "handle it"?

27 isn't old by any means for a goalkeeper, so I can't see why you're writing Lindegaard off. He never had a chance to prove his worth at OB, but when he transferred to Aalesund he played well enough to draw the attention of our club, so saying he hasn't done anything yet is nonsense really.

I'm not saying he'll be our first choice next year. I'm pretty certain that'll be De Gea, but I think it's stupid to write him off because he's 27 and hasn't played on a higher level yet. Schmeichel was 28 when United signed him and he'd only played for Brøndby then. Of course Brøndby played in Europe unlike Aalesund, but you get the point.
I can't say you said anything that I haven't already said. You just used a different tone.

He never had a chance to prove his worth at OB? He trained there didn't he? There aren't as many games in Northern Europe so the squad rotation is in a much lesser frequency. Training is where you prove yourself in a team like OB to show you deserve the chance.
Now we've got the exact same scenario. He's here, hasn't got a chance and we buy a new goalkeeper.

People are slating Kuszczak and giving Lindegaard praises despite him having done nothing at all. Why is it ok to say someone seems to be great but no seems to be shit? Isn't that the exact same deal? I never even said he was shit and I've only slated his attitude which I frankly don't like. That's where the Bendtner reference comes from (also they're both Danish).

FACT is he's done absolutely nothing to deserve all this praise here whilst I get slated for putting some perspective into people's minds.

SAF has also only really bought 2 goalkeepers his entire time here that didn't end poorly. Not like his track record is a good pro-Lindegaard argument.

He was simply bought to warm the bench. Nothing less and only hopefully something more. Having a reliable number 2 is very important. Many think that they somehow don't exist and assume that PIG is going to be the next number 1 or Foster or Lindegaard simply because they have a contract with Manchester United.

He can feel free to prove my predictions wrong. If he does that means we have a 17m flop on our hands.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
He never had a chance to prove his worth at OB? He trained there didn't he? There aren't as many games in Northern Europe so the squad rotation is in a much lesser frequency. Training is where you prove yourself in a team like OB to show you deserve the chance.
Now we've got the exact same scenario. He's here, hasn't got a chance and we buy a new goalkeeper.

People are slating Kuszczak and giving Lindegaard praises despite him having done nothing at all. Why is it ok to say someone seems to be great but no seems to be shit? Isn't that the exact same deal? I never even said he was shit and I've only slated his attitude which I frankly don't like. That's where the Bendtner reference comes from (also they're both Danish).

FACT is he's done absolutely nothing to deserve all this praise here whilst I get slated for putting some perspective into people's minds.

SAF has also only really bought 2 goalkeepers his entire time here that didn't end poorly. Not like his track record is a good pro-Lindegaard argument.

He was simply bought to warm the bench. Nothing less and only hopefully something more. Having a reliable number 2 is very important. Many think that they somehow don't exist and assume that PIG is going to be the next number 1 or Foster or Lindegaard simply because they have a contract with Manchester United.

He can feel free to prove my predictions wrong. If he does that means we have a 17m flop on our hands.
None of us have any idea how well he did in training, so it's pointless to discuss that. Fact is that OB had a keeper (Arek Onyszko) they were very happy with until he got charged with assault. When he was convicted he was sacked and, as I said, people expected Lindegaard to takeover from there. OB managed to get Carroll instead, and although he wasn't a big name in England anymore he was still a big signing for a Danish club like OB, so it was obvious that Lindegaard was never going to get the chance. Lindegaard proved at Aalesund that he was a good keeper, so I think it's reasonable to suggest he would've done well at OB if given the chance, but he wasn't going to when they signed Carroll. I honestly don't see where he should've taken his chance at OB. Arek Onyszko did very well for them so there was no reason to change that, and OB was never going to not sign Carroll at the time given the chance.

Why do you keep saying he's done nothing to get praise? He did very well at Aalesund and his games for United have been good so far. People are simply praising him for what he's done, while you're suggesting he should be slated for what he hasn't done. I'm sorry, but that's fecked up logic.

I think most (myself included) very much expect De Gea to be our first choice next season and it'll take some massive mistakes to change that. Lindegaard won't get many chances, and Fergie might even play De Gea in the CC so he gets used to as many of our players as possible. I just think it's very odd to write off Lindegaard because of his age and because he hasn't played on a higher level yet. He's done well at the only club where he got the chance and he's done pretty well for United so far in the matches he's played. Many goalkeepers don't fulfil their potential until their late twenties, so I don't get why you're expected Lindegaard to.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I've been impressed. Not just with the flashy saves but he's been good in the air.

It's not going to be straight forward who our num 1 will be IMO.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Surely De Gea's transfer fee will ultimately decide who starts the season

For arguments sake though had De Gea not been signed I wouldn't be all that worried about Lindegaard being our number one next season

stubie

I've been impressed. Not just with the flashy saves but he's been good in the air.

It's not going to be straight forward who our num 1 will be IMO.
I agree, Lindegaard's presence reminds me of Edwin. I can take comfort from the fact that we have 3 quality Goalkeepers (De Gea, Lindegaard & Amos) who hopefully will compete with each other for United's number 1 jersey for many years.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Surely De Gea's transfer fee will ultimately decide who starts the season

For arguments sake though had De Gea not been signed I wouldn't be all that worried about Lindegaard being our number one next season
Aye De Gea will start the season as #1 no doubt. I don't think he's guaranteed to keep the spot though.

Twisted_Woody

Scout
I think he has been great.

That being said, when he is under real pressure then we'll see what he is made of. Could easily be another Ben Foster.

mlclauhk

Lindegaard has been solid in pre-season against the likes of MLS teams, but what he lacks is real experience against the bigger sides back in Europe.

De Gea on the other hand has been playing against teams like Barca and Real and still managed to come out with his reputation entact. That alone should justify his starting place this season.

Still competition for places can only be a good thing...

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
I still think its way too early to pass a judgement on him.. But of what I have seen I have been extremely impressed with so far..

Unam333

I feel that Lindegaard really fancies his chances: his direct competitor is a Spanish 20 years old. He must be delighted we didn't sign somebody like Cesar or Buffon, who would for sure start in goal every game. His preseason was steady and impressive: If Lindegaard keeps performing like that he will get his chances.

The thing is, if De Gea regularly starts, I can really see Lindegaard complaining of him not getting enough playing time.

mustaine

He looks good so far and has made some good saves. Not really that impressed by his distribution but that might get better. De Gea is our man in my opinion but Fergie is just as likely to give Lindegaard the chance. Ultimately, De Gea is our man, we all know it and Lindegaard will end up being the back up.

For the first time in ages we seem 2 have 2 very good keepers for number 1 and 2. People should be happy rather than looking for ways to moan about it.
Yep. We shouldn't be so quick to make a definitive decision. Lindegaard has taken his chances well and I wouldn't be surprised to see him start the season in goal. He's ahead in his preseason preparation anyway.

Snow

None of us have any idea how well he did in training, so it's pointless to discuss that. Fact is that OB had a keeper (Arek Onyszko) they were very happy with until he got charged with assault. When he was convicted he was sacked and, as I said, people expected Lindegaard to takeover from there. OB managed to get Carroll instead, and although he wasn't a big name in England anymore he was still a big signing for a Danish club like OB, so it was obvious that Lindegaard was never going to get the chance. Lindegaard proved at Aalesund that he was a good keeper, so I think it's reasonable to suggest he would've done well at OB if given the chance, but he wasn't going to when they signed Carroll. I honestly don't see where he should've taken his chance at OB. Arek Onyszko did very well for them so there was no reason to change that, and OB was never going to not sign Carroll at the time given the chance.

Why do you keep saying he's done nothing to get praise? He did very well at Aalesund and his games for United have been good so far. People are simply praising him for what he's done, while you're suggesting he should be slated for what he hasn't done. I'm sorry, but that's fecked up logic.

I think most (myself included) very much expect De Gea to be our first choice next season and it'll take some massive mistakes to change that. Lindegaard won't get many chances, and Fergie might even play De Gea in the CC so he gets used to as many of our players as possible. I just think it's very odd to write off Lindegaard because of his age and because he hasn't played on a higher level yet. He's done well at the only club where he got the chance and he's done pretty well for United so far in the matches he's played. Many goalkeepers don't fulfil their potential until their late twenties, so I don't get why you're expected Lindegaard to.
I never suggested he should be slated. I said it's not fair to slate Kuzczsak and heap praises on Lindegaard when so far Kuzczsak look better to start with and hasn't look worse. That's what doesn't make sense.

I'm also not writing him off.
He was simply bought to warm the bench. Nothing less and only hopefully something more. Having a reliable number 2 is very important.
People get the notion that you're rubbishing a player and slating him when you're not praising him. I haven't said anything about Lindegaard that wasn't based on him. Everything suggests that he was brought in to replace Foster and nothing has showed any further.

I also don't get the Carroll excuse. If Lindegaard was good enough OB would have saved massive amount of money by not getting Carroll. If they were wrong or not in the matter is a different thing but you don't go looking for a goalkeeper to fill the number 1 slot if you have him already. Not even at a big club.

My major issues here aren't with Lindegaard. My major issues is with the slating of Kuzczsak who has been very good for us as a number 2. He's done better than Foster, Howard, Carroll, Bosnich and arguably Barthez when called upon. What more can you ask for from a player who isn't playing regularly. As far as reports go the players all like him.

Let me close the same way as the last time you quoted me.

He can feel free to prove my predictions wrong. If he does that means we have a 17m flop on our hands

Danish Voice

I also don't get the Carroll excuse. If Lindegaard was good enough OB would have saved massive amount of money by not getting Carroll. If they were wrong or not in the matter is a different thing but you don't go looking for a goalkeeper to fill the number 1 slot if you have him already. Not even at a big club.
It wasn't Lindegaard's fault through. He was terribly unlucky got injured just before a game against Sampdoria. As OB hadn't got any decent back-up, and just loves to sign over the hill players from big leagues, they rushed out and signed Carroll for free.

Now they've got the former Bayern keeper Steffan Wessels in goal, former Hull winger Bernard Mendy at left back and Djemba twins on the bench.

Snow

Mendy is a fine player. Definitely good enough for OB.

My biggest doubts with Lindegaard is that he's averaged 7 games a season since he became a professional. Injuries, abilities or something else that's not good. De Gea is 20 and more experienced.

Norway is a funny league. They rate Stefán Logi, Lilleström goalkeeper, or at least so he claims. Who knows, he's mental. I think he's shit. Wasn't even the best in the Icelandic league yet plays there. Only reason he gets game in goals for Iceland is because we don't have a single keeper without it's major flaw.

Laphroaig

If Lindegaard becomes our second choice, I'm pretty sure we've got our best back up keeper since RVDG.

Norway is a funny league. They rate Stefán Logi
No, they don't.
The reasons why he left OB have been addressed in this thread and in earlier threads you've been in, so there's no need to keep repeating this version of the events.

And the Danish league much stronger than the Norwegian? Nonsense. FC København is clearly the best Nordic team, but the league as a whole isn't any better than the Norwegian. On what do you base this?

And Schmeichel speaks nonsense most of the time, so I've no idea why you'd want to use him as an authority. He's more or less admitted he based his claims on the same conjecture (leaving OB) as you.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
As good as he's been on the tour De Gea looked like a young VDS tonight and showed why we spent 20m on him. Very classy performance. Lindegaard will be a very good number 2 though

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
As good as he's been on the tour De Gea looked like a young VDS tonight and showed why we spent 20m on him. Very classy performance. Lindegaard will be a very good number 2 though
I haven't seen much difference in class between De Gea and Lindegaard on this tour. Both have done very well. If one of them didn't have a big price tag and big league experience I think Fergie would have a selection dilemma on his hands the upcoming matches. De Gea is obviously no 1 atm but I think Lindegaard will really challenge him. The big difference between them for me is that De Gea is a bit more composed and comfy with the ball and Lindegaard more vocal and secure in the air. I understand why PIG wants to leave, they are both a class above him and both can still get better.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I haven't seen much difference in class between De Gea and Lindegaard on this tour. Both have done very well. If one of them didn't have a big price tag and big league experience I think Fergie would have a selection dilemma on his hands the upcoming matches. De Gea is obviously no 1 atm but I think Lindegaard will really challenge him. The big difference between them for me is that De Gea is a bit more composed and comfy with the ball and Lindegaard more vocal and secure in the air. I understand why PIG wants to leave, they are both a class above him and both can still get better.
Fair assessememt. It only matters when they are under real pressure, as we saw in the past. And for some reason i have the feeling de gea will always stay cool and composed. But having two great keepers pushing each other can only be good for us

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
I repeat its way too early to pass judgement on either of our keepers as of now.. I have seen every minute of the pre-season and IMO Lindegaard has impressed more because the opportunity to do so was there.. Where as DDG hasn't been tested as much.. I am sure the manager and staff know who is the better keeper as they have been watching them in training on a daily basis.. But its hard as a fan to come to a conclusion on it so early in the season..

Man-United

I just see him as a 2nd choice for a few years until he moves on, just like we had before with Kuszczak, Carroll, Van der Gouw and so on. That said, he looks promising.

He will play in Carling Cup, early FA/CL games and De Gea in the rest.

Jonno

I just see him as a 2nd choice for a few years until he moves on, just like we had before with Kuszczak, Carroll, Van der Gouw and so on. That said, he looks promising.

He will play in Carling Cup, early FA/CL games and De Gea in the rest.
That is the natural suggestion down to the fact that we spent so much money on DDG. However every time I have seen Lindegaard play I have been impressed with him. He doesn't seem to have the same sort of nervous aura that Kuszczak does. I want to see him get a chance too, because he has lots of ability.

Snow

If Lindegaard becomes our second choice, I'm pretty sure we've got our best back up keeper since RVDG.

No, they don't.
The reasons why he left OB have been addressed in this thread and in earlier threads you've been in, so there's no need to keep repeating this version of the events.

And the Danish league much stronger than the Norwegian? Nonsense. FC København is clearly the best Nordic team, but the league as a whole isn't any better than the Norwegian. On what do you base this?

And Schmeichel speaks nonsense most of the time, so I've no idea why you'd want to use him as an authority. He's more or less admitted he based his claims on the same conjecture (leaving OB) as you.
Well, you're not the part of the league. He's playing there because he was bought. I'm sure you who watch football don't because you have eyes like me.

On what do I base the fact that the Danish league is stronger?
UEFA coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Denmark nr. 12, Sweden nnr 24 and Norway nr. 25. Simple really. And unless Norway and Sweden do something this season in Europe they are going to drop lower.
Your league can't get that high just because of one team. You also have OB in the Europa League and a few years ago AaB were not losing to Manchester United.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
:lol: Ferguson said he'll fine me if I play well against Scotland tomorrow night.

Eirik Raude

During the US tour, he gave an interview to United.no, the Norwegian supporters club, where he answered short questions about the squad and the players role in the team (outside the pitch). Here is the answers:

Clown: Anderson

Most vain: That's got to be Ji-sung Park.

Most temper: Wayne Rooney!

Smiley: Javier Hernandez, without a doubt.

Best finisher: Javier Hernandez!

First on the training field: Used to be Scholes, but now it's me!

Best friend: Used to be Owen Hargreaves, but he's gone. Now it's Mame Biram Diouf.

Fastest: Obertan. (Not anymore though).