Lindegaard

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Good catching skills & cool under pressure. Brightest point in United's start of CL campaign.

Would love to see him more in games like these.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Lindegaard "will get his opportunities" according to Fergie when interview by danish tv. Think he said something about European games, but didn't quite hear it.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
Seems a bit unfair that he'll be dropped on the back of a great performance when saf has gone largely with form this season. I guess after forking out 18.5m we have to justify the other guy a bit.

Makki

QUITTER
freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
Seems a bit unfair that he'll be dropped on the back of a great performance when saf has gone largely with form this season. I guess after forking out 18.5m we have to justify the other guy a bit.
Well, in that case it seems a bit unfair that he 'dropped' De Gea after a flawless performance against Bolton where he didn't only do well in goal, but almost set up a goal as well. It's pretty obvious that De Gea was rested ahead of Sunday's game, but Lindegaard did really well today.

davisjw

We've paid big for keepers in the past only to see them underachieve which gives the smaller guys a chance. If he keeps playing like this in the CL and I assume league cup, and De Gea makes small mistakes, Fergie will give him an opportunity.

He has to have patience at this point. Unfortunately, reputation is the key decider at the moment. De Gea is simply known to have too much of an upside.

MUFCgal

Very impressed with him, he seems very solid. De Gea still needs time, and his distribution is class but he flaps sometimes as we've seen. Lindegaard looks solid, and assured.

I think De Gea will start on Sunday against Chelsea, but we'll see Lindegaard again next week against Leeds in the Carling Cup.

MG

Very good display, but De Gea will still start on Sunday, despite the media desperately wanting him to fail he's still our first choice.

Minkaro

Looked solid. One really good save. He's very pronounced with what he does, everything seems to be a little bit exaggerated.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
PIG is seriously underrated on here. He's been a quality backup keeper for us, has rarely let us down.
He has been a very handy backup but he's never looked capable of being a first-choice keeper for us, that's not the case with Lindegaard, if we didn't have De Gea I'd be quietly confident of having him in goal I think.

KGBhoy

If PIG was happy, we didn't even need Lindegaard. They are very similar - both good shot stoppers and not very good distribution. But for Lindegaard the jury is still out.

Having said this, he's had a solid game.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
He has been a very handy backup but he's never looked capable of being a first-choice keeper for us, that's not the case with Lindegaard, if we didn't have De Gea I'd be quietly confident of having him in goal I think.
I'll reserve judgement until he has a couple of bad games, and see what sort of a character he has to bounce back. Lots of keepers look good until they make a couple of mistakes. Its been all plain sailing so far but he's had it relatively easy up to now.

nemanja15

Any time the ball goes near PIG bouncing or along the ground I have near heart failure. With Lindegaard in his three games so far, that hasn't happened to me at all!

Makki

QUITTER
freguson y u rest the ginger prawn hes most import
If PIG was happy, we didn't even need Lindegaard. They are very similar - both good shot stoppers and not very good distribution. But for Lindegaard the jury is still out.

The difference between Lindegaard and PIG is that while their clearances and long kicks may lack accuracy, Lindegaard doesn't look like he's about to shit his pants every time the ball approaches his feet. This makes the defenders more comfortable with passing it back to the keeper as they know that he'll get it away from the goal with either foot if he's closed down and no pass is available, while PIG just panics and (if he's lucky) hoofs it out for a throw and instantly gives away possession.

BaldwinLegend

More or less this. Annoying to see United fans feeling it necessary to run down Kuszczak tonight while bigging up Lindegaard.

One thing that troubles me about Lindegaard is his insistence on continually talking himself up in the media - surely he should be more respectful of De Gea, who has by far the most experience of the two and more than deserves his shot at becoming our Nr 1?

Bearing in mind it's not all been smooth sailing for De Gea, I'd like to see Lindegaard being more supportive - the last thing De Gea needs is someone so obviously waiting in the wings for him to cock things up.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
My thoughts haven't changed much since these posts really:

I've been impressed. Not just with the flashy saves but he's been good in the air.

It's not going to be straight forward who our num 1 will be IMO.
Aye De Gea will start the season as #1 no doubt. I don't think he's guaranteed to keep the spot though.
I really like him. He has all the mental characteristics I like to see in a 'keeper. He's a bit mental and he makes me feel quite relaxed when he's in goal.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
More or less this. Annoying to see United fans feeling it necessary to run down Kuszczak tonight while bigging up Lindegaard.

One thing that troubles me about Lindegaard is his insistence on continually talking himself up in the media - surely he should be more respectful of De Gea, who has by far the most experience of the two and more than deserves his shot at becoming our Nr 1?

Bearing in mind it's not all been smooth sailing for De Gea, I'd like to see Lindegaard being more supportive - the last thing De Gea needs is someone so obviously waiting in the wings for him to cock things up.
So you think Lindegaard should know his place do you. Bit stunned after reading that. :D

Lindegaard is not here to be supportive of De Gea, he's here to aim for the No1 goalie spot, just the same as De Gea is. We have 2 good goalies here and hopefully they will thrive on competing with each other. Lindegaard is not wanting to be second best to anyone and surely that can only be good for us in the long run.

I was pleased with his performance tonight and I felt reasonably confident with him in goal.

redspoony

He did well. Early days, and his distribution needs work, but promising.

Never rated PIG (although I think he's a good shot stopper), and perhaps with Lindegaard we have a decent back up keeper.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Wish there was some way of combining Lindegaard's confidence with De Gea's distribution.

Danders Lind Gea

BaldwinLegend

So you think Lindegaard should know his place do you. Bit stunned after reading that. :D

Lindegaard is not here to be supportive of De Gea, he's here to aim for the No1 goalie spot, just the same as De Gea is. We have 2 good goalies here and hopefully they will thrive on competing with each other. Lindegaard is not wanting to be second best to anyone and surely that can only be good for us in the long run.

I was pleased with his performance tonight and I felt reasonably confident with him in goal.
It's not that he should 'know his place' - he's perfectly entitled to have ambitions to be our Nr 1. I just think that while De Gea is in this period - having been given the Nr 1 shirt, and having to go through struggles to adapt - it would be classier of Lindegaard to support his teammate rather than talk his own chances up.

He'll get his own chance at some point and if he's good enough he'll take it...

spinoza

Paz's ion
Played very well but the time he takes to pick a pass really makes you appreciate De Gea's distribution. To be fair, he's a damn sight better with the ball at his feet than PIG but the quickness of thought isn't there.
I found that surprising too. Normally older keepers have better distribution. De Gea is a rare talent.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Regarding his distribution, he wasn't helped by the way we shaped up and the players who were playing.

We had Valencia and Park, both of whom like to sit deeper meaning their oposition full backs were pushing up which cut off the use of Lindegaard's wide options and his short options in the centre were limited by Fletcher and Carrick's habit of sitting deep which invites their midfield forward, this meant his only real options were long and wide to Valencia or Park or over the midfield to Rooney which was pointless with the height of their Centrebacks.

In contrast, in the recent games DDG has had Nani and Young giving the opposition fullbacks no option than to sit deeper and not allow space in behind them, while Anderson and Cleverley/(Carrick against Bolton) had the benefit of Rooney having a partner and dropping deeper, which meant the opposition midfield wasn't as advanced which gave Anderson/Cleverley(Carrick) had space to drop deep into and give themselves as direct options to De Gea or as an option for whoever De Gea wanted to pass to. It's a far better option than blasting it up feild which gives a less than 50% chance of keeping the ball, but it also requires a whole different setup to pull off.

BaldwinLegend

It's called competition for places...
Again, I've no problem with that whatsoever. Competition for places is good.

It's not a big deal, I just prefer to see players taking the Michael Owen approach - working hard, keeping schtum and waiting their chance. Owen does it, Giggs does it, so do loads of other outfield players at United. As I remember, Ben Foster did it well too.

Wouldn't it be better for De Gea if he'd said, "David is a great keeper and will do well against Chelsea" after the game, instead of repeating his 'I'm not here to sit on the bench' line? Just seems to add unnecessary pressure on a young player already having to cope with a lot of pressure.

Lance Uppercut

Played very well but the time he takes to pick a pass really makes you appreciate De Gea's distribution. To be fair, he's a damn sight better with the ball at his feet than PIG but the quickness of thought isn't there.
The way we were set up tonight, coupled with the way we played, I think De Gea would've struggled with his distribution, too.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Again, I've no problem with that whatsoever. Competition for places is good.

It's not a big deal, I just prefer to see players taking the Michael Owen approach - working hard, keeping schtum and waiting their chance. Owen does it, Giggs does it, so do loads of other outfield players at United. As I remember, Ben Foster did it well too.

Wouldn't it be better for De Gea if he'd said, "David is a great keeper and will do well against Chelsea" after the game, instead of repeating his 'I'm not here to sit on the bench' line? Just seems to add unnecessary pressure on a young player already having to cope with a lot of pressure.
There has been critiscism of Owen's ambition's. To be honest I think it suits Ferguson because he has a quality last resort that doesn't whinge, but he's hardly keeping the other strikers on their toes.

It won't do DDG any harm having Lindegaard being vocal in his ambitions, De Gea will know Lindegaard would never wish him a poor vien of form as it would effect his own team's form. He's just stating he believes he is good enough himself to be Number 1. Nowt wrong with that.

BaldwinLegend

There has been critiscism of Owen's ambition's. To be honest I think it suits Ferguson because he has a quality last resort that doesn't whinge, but he's hardly keeping the other strikers on their toes.

It won't do DDG any harm having Lindegaard being vocal in his ambitions, De Gea will know Lindegaard would never wish him a poor vien of form as it would effect his own team's form. He's just stating he believes he is good enough himself to be Number 1. Nowt wrong with that.
That criticism is pretty dim then. Go and check Owen's career out - he's always reacted to being dropped by quietly working his way back into the team. The fact that he's struggling to get past some of the world's best players shouldn't be held against him as criticism of his attitude or ambition.

Look at how he responded to having an amazing England career ended by Capello in a fairly unclassy way - he's never complained, barely ever spoken about it despite continual provoking questions from journos and gets on with it.

I'll say it again, it's no big deal, I just prefer it when teammates support each other in difficult circumstances, not talk up their personal ambitions.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
That criticism is pretty dim then. Go and check Owen's career out - he's always reacted to being dropped by quietly working his way back into the team. The fact that he's struggling to get past some of the world's best players shouldn't be held against him as criticism of his attitude or ambition.

Look at how he responded to having an amazing England career ended by Capello in a fairly unclassy way - he's never complained, barely ever spoken about it despite continual provoking questions from journos and gets on with it.

I'll say it again, it's no big deal, I just prefer it when teammates support each other in difficult circumstances, not talk up their personal ambitions.
:houllier:

What difficult circumstances? De Gea has made a couple of silly errors in his first nervy few games for us... which have cost us nothing.... but other than that he's been getting great reviews for his distribution and shot stopping with the usual cnutish press aside the pundits worth listening to have all basically said it's pretty certain he is going to be a world class goalkeeper.

If you really think a couple of comments from the keeper he is competing with would upset him, you really don't have a clue what sort of mentality is needed to be a United player. If those comments effected his game, then he should never have been here in the first place.

Lance Uppercut

You also need to take into account what leads to these comments. "So, Anders, are you happy to sit on the bench?"

What the feck do you expect him to say?

BaldwinLegend

:houllier:

What difficult circumstances? De Gea has made a couple of silly errors in his first nervy few games for us... which have cost us nothing.... but other than that he's been getting great reviews for his distribution and shot stopping with the usual cnutish press aside the pundits worth listening to have all basically said it's pretty certain he is going to be a world class goalkeeper.

If you really think a couple of comments from the keeper he is competing with would upset him, you really don't have a clue what sort of mentality is needed to be a United player. If those comments effected his game, then he should never have been here in the first place.
Was all that necessary? Jesus...

By difficult circumstances I don't mean errors, I actually mean circumstances. There's a phenomenal amount of pressure that goes with being the United Nr. 1, he's young, inexperienced and is playing in a league he needs time to adapt to. He's doing well, but these factors are still there and require time to overcome.

I've absolutely no doubt whatsoever you know far more than me about the pressure of playing for United. I still think though that, if it were me, I'd prefer to have the public support of my teammates.

BaldwinLegend

You also need to take into account what leads to these comments. "So, Anders, are you happy to sit on the bench?"

What the feck do you expect him to say?
What I said above - 'David's a great player who I'm sure will do well on Sunday. It's an honour to be here, I'm going to keep working hard etc etc'. In other words, what every other player who's been media-trained at United would say...

BaldwinLegend

Which do you think Fergie would rather hear?
I doubt he cares to be honest but I think Lindegaard does noticeably talk himself up more than United players do generally.

I think that's part of what makes people say he's got the attitude to play for United - and I'm sure Fergie is a fan of his confidence - but, again, I'd still prefer to see him back his teammate for now.

Lindegaard's young - he's got plenty of time to get into the United first team if he's actually good enough.