Lingard signs new £100k 4 year contract (Sky) | Official: Option to extend for a further year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alabaster Codify7

He'll basically be the new Ashley Young, blow for blow.

In 1-2 seasons time, he'll be a complete fringe player earning 100k a week to sit on the bench; he'll be linked with moves during every transfer window but the level of clubs interested (in other words, those on his actual level) won't be able to afford his wages.

He'll be content to make stupid videos of him doing handshakes with Pogba while earning 100k a week as a substitute. Then once in every 10 substitute appearances, he'll score a screamer that wins us points and we'll all say::

"Shit, I don't actually mind him being here as a squad player..."

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
The commentator said 1 goal so far in the League is that true? Yesterday was a typical Lingard game for me, mostly anonymous, not creating anything, some runs.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
And the next time Martial (if he improves), Micki, Mata etc. are getting new contracts, they'll go past him in terms of salaries.

Didn't say opinions of United fans should be ignored. I wouldn't use the ratings as a base for an argument though. All you need to do is wonder around matchday threads (I never do that anymore) to see how emotionally invested posters are during and right after a match. So I choose to ignore the Caf ratings when discussing a player's performances. You choose otherwise, that's fine.
I don't go into matchday threads either - too hysterical - I'll watch the match and usually watch all or some of it again and then make a judgement on all the players and rate according to my valuation of their performance. I don't care who scores as long as United win.
I find stats misleading as players can have one or two moments in a match and then be totally invisible for the remainder of the time, which is my biggest gripe with Lingard. See your latest stats you posted which shows Lingard ahead of Zlatan in that stat, if Lingard swapped positions with Zlatan we wouldn't even be 5th or 6th , we'd be 15th/16th.

Take yesterday, Lingard didn't have a bad match but he had two shots, had one decent pass but you look at his overall play, a couple of times he asked for the ball and got it, when he got it he had no idea what to do with it as he doesn't have the technical ability to play a longer or difficult pass. People claim his running is a big plus but there were two instances at least when he made completely the wrong runs , once with Zlatan and once with Pogba.

His speed is over-rated as well , in recent matches you have players sprinting away from him, most remarkably against Boro when Mata of all people outsprinted him.

Regarding salaries , yes there are/have been other players that are overpaid, but those were considered as first team starters like Basti , Rooney now , Young is another example but when he was signed and with his current contract he was a first team starter, Lingard still isn't or shouldn't be considered as a first team starter. He will end up like Young being a bit part player on a high wage and other clubs wouldn't be able to afford to sign him but has never been or likely to be considered a first team starter.

When other players in his position get the ball, you're expecting something to happen and excitement builds, when Lingard gets the ball the expectation is that he'll lose the ball, pass the ball back or have a poor shot, occasionally he will do something but usually it's because the opposition pay little attention to him because he is the least likely to cause them problems.

lsd

The Oracle
Like the Fellaini thread ppl need to get a grip and stop having a meltdown over this.Theres a lot more we can complain about .

He is a decent player and I'm pleased to see him stay and see what he can do for us over the next four years

Philadelphian

In 1-2 seasons time, he'll be a complete fringe player earning 100k a week to sit on the bench; he'll be linked with moves during every transfer window but the level of clubs interested (in other words, those on his actual level) won't be able to afford his wages.

He'll be content to make stupid videos of him doing handshakes with Pogba while earning 100k a week as a substitute. Then once in every 10 substitute appearances, he'll score a screamer that wins us points and we'll all say::

Nailed it.

NinjaFletch

If anything that represents an improvement on what Young's given for 90% of his career here.

SouthPredators4

I'm happy with his new deal to be honest, united through and through and will be a squad player for a long time to come in sure.
United through and through means feck all if there are no interest for his service due to his mediocrity. I mean, its not like the lad had half of Europe clamouring after his services. If so, do we really wanna set such a benchmark for a squad player given how difficult it is to negotiate with the other players now and the lack of suitors should we market him. Either the reported wages are BS or our club is run by idiots.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks

No way is he the new Ashley Young.

Ashley was bought as a winger, that had one trick up is sleeve. Cut inside, smash it into the top corner (same as Robben, but not as good). He could also take freekicks. He came with the English tax, and was already past his best when we got him. We've turned him into a wing back.

Lingard is a young player who came through our ranks. He's scored in two cup finals. He's a decent player with a goal in him. He's similar to club-grown players like O'Shea, Fletcher, Phil Neville, Nicky Butt... in that he might not be quite as good as the players around him, but he's club grown, and hopefully won't cause any nuisance.

Is he worth £100k? 5 years ago, no. Today... errr.. Probably not.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
No way is he the new Ashley Young.

Ashley was bought as a winger, that had one trick up is sleeve. Cut inside, smash it into the top corner (same as Robben, but not as good). He could also take freekicks. He came with the English tax, and was already past his best when we got him. We've turned him into a wing back.

Lingard is a young player who came through our ranks. He's scored in two cup finals. He's a decent player with a goal in him. He's similar to club-grown players like O'Shea, Fletcher, Phil Neville, Nicky Butt... in that he might not be quite as good as the players around him, but he's club grown, and hopefully won't cause any nuisance.

Is he worth £100k? 5 years ago, no. Today... errr.. Probably not.
He is nowhere near the level of all those players mentioned.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I just don't understand why a minority of United fans wouldn't want a locally born, academy graduate, with lethal pace, who scores great goals, who is only 24 to be playing for us.

He has been inconsistent but he has only ever been a fringe player, and more recently a squad player. But he's young. My experience as a football fan tells me that he is going to improve greatly in the next 5 years from the level he is at now.

People are arguing that he's already the best he will be. Not everyone develops as quickly as Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen. Players peak at all kinds of different ages depending on their careers, their bodies and their game time.

He's a good player now with good attitude and he's only going to get better.
Think you just look at Lallana to see someone who is now peaking at an age that in the past was a peak age, but it is getting younger and younger. Plenty of players at 28 are going over the hill. So Jesse could likely get better with more playing and confidence. Pogba, I think we will need to see what happens next season. He had no pre-season or next to none, so his preparations should be a lot better next time round.

SirScholes

I just don't understand why a minority of United fans wouldn't want a locally born, academy graduate, with lethal pace, who scores great goals, who is only 24 to be playing for us.

He has been inconsistent but he has only ever been a fringe player, and more recently a squad player. But he's young. My experience as a football fan tells me that he is going to improve greatly in the next 5 years from the level he is at now.

People are arguing that he's already the best he will be. Not everyone develops as quickly as Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen. Players peak at all kinds of different ages depending on their careers, their bodies and their game time.

He's a good player now with good attitude and he's only going to get better.
Because he isn't very good

SirScholes

Minutes per either shot on target/against the woodwork or chance created (whoscored, before Sunderland match):

22.16 Mata
23.52 Mkhitaryan
25.35 Lingard
26.00 Zlatan
26.63 Rooney
26.69 Pogba
32.73 Martial
41.72 Rashford

I know it's "just some stats" again, but perhaps at least one person can see the reasom for that. People are not just desperately posting some stats to "make an average clown look decent". Maybe, just maybe all these stats back up the theory that he's not that abysmal of a football player.
I'm not even sure what these stats are supposed to mean?
I could say why hasn't scored more then?
Stats can be used for any arguement

drdoityourself

This Daniel Harris article is another that is just an advertisement for Jesse Lingard, downplaying the faults in his game and exagerating the pros. Here are some statements he made that are at least debatable.

Even when not playing well, he is brave and direct, prepared to run with the ball

The exact opposite, when he's not playing well, he doesn't run with the ball, or is he direct in his passing, he'll pass it backwards all day.

Sure enough, Lingard celebrated his achievement with an excellent show against Sunderland

The term excellent has another meaning in my book. He started well, then faded. 6 or 7 out of 10, as most newspapers rated him.

Of course, £100,000 a week is a lot, but hardly out of proportion given Lingard’s presence at one of the richest clubs in football at a time when the game is awash with unparalleled riches. When Phil Neville left United 12 years ago, he was earning more than half that

Phil Neville had 6 league medals, 3 FA Cups and a CL win during his time here, also playing over 50 times for England. He had a big contract after actual success.
Surely a player in his second season as a regular, in a team that's been in Europa League form since he's come into the fold, can't be justified having a big contract because Phil Neville earned one after several years in the team.

AndyJ1985

Minutes per either shot on target/against the woodwork or chance created (whoscored, before Sunderland match):

22.16 Mata
23.52 Mkhitaryan
25.35 Lingard
26.00 Zlatan
26.63 Rooney
26.69 Pogba
32.73 Martial
41.72 Rashford

I know it's "just some stats" again, but perhaps at least one person can see the reasom for that. People are not just desperately posting some stats to "make an average clown look decent". Maybe, just maybe all these stats back up the theory that he's not that abysmal of a football player.
Ok so statistically he's better than Zlatan. However Zlatan is our top scorer by a mile and he also has way more assists than Lingard. If ever there was proof of how irrelevant stats can be...

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Ok so statistically he's better than Zlatan. However Zlatan is our top scorer by a mile and he also has way more assists than Lingard. If ever there was proof of how irrelevant stats can be...
No he's not better because Zlatan has scored (and assisted) plenty more than Lingard. To me that shows that Lingard doesn't "just run around a lot".

lsd

The Oracle
Because he isn't very good
Yes you are right he has been given this contract and playing time just to annoy you.

C'mon get real ppl the guy is a good footballer and we have worse problems than Jesse Lingard .

Yes he isn't a superstar but we can't have eleven superstars not do you need eleven to be successful Iv heard the same statements his haters have said here about players like Gary Neville ,O Shea Darren Fletcher and countless others as well .

Godfather

Yes you are right he has been given this contract and playing time just to annoy you.

C'mon get real ppl the guy is a good footballer and we have worse problems than Jesse Lingard .

Yes he isn't a superstar but we can't have eleven superstars not do you need eleven to be successful Iv heard the same statements his haters have said here about players like Gary Neville ,O Shea Darren Fletcher and countless others as well .
He shouldn't start games for us

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
To me this contract is outrageous. Fans should definitely do something like gather outside the stadium on a day to protest or something like turn their backs to the ground in the 14th minute (his shirt number) to show their disgust with having total fringe players earning that kind of money - per month!!!!!! He's not even a regular player and earns the kind of money an absolute top player earns. I honestly think something like 40 grand is more than enough. FFS, people are just eating this shit without thinking about it. Next time you get your £190 bill for that full live coverage of football you should know people like Lingard is partly reason for that bill being that high. Same goes for fecking live tickets. It's insane.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)

Why can't we have 11 superstars???? Superstars are not given to you - they are born into a team. Had Lingard been a great player he would eventually become a superstar. Now we're stuck with a total clown for a good few years. Talk about tread water!!!!!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He shouldn't start games for us
He isn't starting many. He has played 1591 mins in total this season and that's equivalent of 17 games. That's just 33% of the total mins we have played this season. Very much definition of squad player.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
To me this contract is outrageous. Fans should definitely do something like gather outside the stadium on a day to protest or something like turn their backs to the ground in the 14th minute (his shirt number) to show their disgust with having total fringe players earning that kind of money - per month!!!!!! He's not even a regular player and earns the kind of money an absolute top player earns. I honestly think something like 40 grand is more than enough. FFS, people are just eating this shit without thinking about it. Next time you get your £190 bill for that full live coverage of football you should know people like Lingard is partly reason for that bill being that high. Same goes for fecking live tickets. It's insane.
Imagine the size of the aneurism you'll have when you find out he's on that amount every week.

AndyJ1985

No he's not better because Zlatan has scored (and assisted) plenty more than Lingard. To me that shows that Lingard doesn't "just run around a lot".
He does try, I'll give you that. Problem is he isn't very good at anything other than running around a lot.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
He does try, I'll give you that. Problem is he isn't very good at anything other than running around a lot.
Has a decent shot on him, creates chances at the same ratio to Mata and Micki. Not going to find a common ground with you, so better leave it at that. :)

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
You're legitimately insane.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
A squad player who hardly states???????, which part don't you understand. Apart from him only Bailly started all those 5 games

The reason he doesn't play so many minutes is because he's always taken off for being totally ineffective for most of the games he starts
No the problem is your sample size. Before that 5 games, he played only 38 mins in the last 6 league games (twice as an unused sub and once not even in the squad).

prath92

A squad player who hardly states???????, which part don't you understand. Apart from him only Bailly started all those 5 games

The reason he doesn't play so many minutes is because he's always taken off for being totally ineffective for most of the games he starts
Last 5 games he started mainly because we had injuries and guys like martial have been poor when they play too. That's why you have squad players.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
No the problem is your sample size. Before that 5 games, he played only 38 mins in the last 6 league games (twice as an unused sub and once not even in the squad).
Last 5 games he started mainly because we had injuries and guys like martial have been poor when they play too. That's why you have squad players.
And Lingard has been at least as poor in the last 4 but somehow manages to keep his place - at least with Martial something might happen, it's almost a certainty that nothing will happen with Lingard, everyone is amazed when he actually does something good, that's probably why it stands out more to some on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.