Lingard signs new £100k 4 year contract (Sky) | Official: Option to extend for a further year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Lingard is 24, Martial is 20 and Rashford 19. Lingard is not a young player yet gets talked about as one. What we see now, imho, will be close to his peak.
Not a chance. In a year or two we'll look back at this thread and there'll be laughter all across the land.

C'est Moi Cantona

Martial scored nearly 20 goals last season. Show me Lingard ever doing that?
No he won't, but if Martial ever lives up to his potential he'll be worth alot more than £100 k per wk for his next contract, the fact is he isn't though just now, and Lingard whilst not having the scope Martial does is offering us something atm, yet gets stick for getting a decent contract.

Best case scenario he keeps improving and offers us something either starting or from the bench, worst case scenario we sell him, it's really not a big deal.

Ixion

On the basis of this year's performance alone, where he has consistently played better than Martial, Rashford, Mkhi and Pogba, he deserves that new contract and salary raise.
I hate statements like this. Fellaini fans do this all the time, make some grand claim he has out-performed someone without anything to back it up.

Goals
Pogba : 7
Martial : 7
Rashford : 7
Mkhitaryan : 7
Lingard : 5

Assists
Martial : 6
Pogba : 5
Mkhitaryan : 5
Rashford : 3
Lingard : 3

Caf MotM
Mkhitaryan : 8
Pogba : 6
Rashford : 5
Martial : 3
Lingard : 1

Caf Average rating
Pogba : 6.1
Mkhitaryan : 6.4
Martial : 6.0
Rashford : 5.9
Lingard : 5.6

Please tell me how lingard has consistently out-performed all 4 of those players. Prior to the League Cup final he had done literally nothing for months.

C'est Moi Cantona

Lingard is 24, Martial is 20 and Rashford 19. Lingard is not a young player yet gets talked about as one. What we see now, imho, will be close to his peak.
Lingard is clearly a late developer, and as such has plenty of room for improvement yet imo, not as much as Martial for sure, but it doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a good deal.

PepsiCola

Not a chance. In a year or two we'll look back at this thread and there'll be laughter all across the land.
He's shown little outside of his Wembley goals, one quality cross for Ibrahimovic and one above decent game against Msboro to indicate so.

Rashford and Martial have both shown a lot more and will be substantially better players than a 24 year old Lingard and a 28/29 year old Lingard.

Imho I think overtime Lingard will adapt to a Park Ji Sung-esque player. His best asset is his energy

PepsiCola

Lingard is clearly a late developer, and as such has plenty of room for improvement yet imo, not as much as Martial for sure, but it doesn't mean he doesn't deserve a good deal.
I'm happy with his new deal to be honest, united through and through and will be a squad player for a long time to come in sure.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's shown little outside of his Wembley goals, one quality cross for Ibrahimovic and one above decent game against Msboro to indicate so.

Rashford and Martial have both shown a lot more and will be substantially better players than a 24 year old Lingard and a 28/29 year old Lingard.

Imho I think overtime Lingard will adapt to a Park Ji Sung-esque player. His best asset is his energy
And yet Lingard is getting featured more than them. Mourinho obviously knows something Lingard's resident detractors don't. Moreover, the fact that the club have made a long term investment in him suggests he will be featured prominently for years to come. I am confident the Lingard of the past 12 months is only about 50% of the finished product. We will see much more in the coming years as he enters his prime career period.

C'est Moi Cantona

Because he doesn't have the quality needed if we want to return to being a European force.
Certainly not enough to warrant 100k a week!

we held all the aces, he's replaceable, playing for his childhood club and happy to be a squad player, why on earth we agreed at 100k is mental
He is a good solid squad player, and right now a first team player offering us more than most, he still has room for improvement, and if we didn't offer him a new deal he would sign then we might have lost him on the cheap.

£100 k is alot, but nowadays not ridiculous, if he become surplus to requirements we sell him, and they'll be a plenty of takers, just don't see the issue.

buckooo1978

I hate statements like this. Fellaini fans do this all the time, make some grand claim he has out-performed someone without anything to back it up.

Goals

Assists

Caf MotM

Caf Average rating

Please tell me how lingard has consistently out-performed all 4 of those players. Prior to the League Cup final he had done literally nothing for months.
boom lol

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Agreed. Some players make a splash as teenagers and promptly go backwards (Januzaj and possibly one or more of our current young strikers) and some gradually rise in their early twenties and only hit stride in their mid 20s.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout

Goals

Assists

Caf MotM

Caf Average rating

Regarding stats: Lingard's also played less than any of those players.

Regarding the use of Caf ratings and MoTM tallies as a genuine argument: :lol:

PepsiCola

I'm happy with his new deal to be honest, united through and through and will be a squad player for a long time to come in sure.

Ixion

He has played two games less than Mkhitaryan. Two whole games, that sure explains the difference in numbers.

Pogba has hit the woodwork about 20 times while Martial and Mkhitaryan rotted half the season on the bench so Jose could prove a point to them as well or the stats would be even further apart.

Laugh all you want but its accurate. Do you think Lingard is going to be in contention for the United Player of the Season award? No he obviously isn't because he's barely done a thing all year.

SirScholes

He is a good solid squad player, and right now a first team player offering us more than most, he still has room for improvement, and if we didn't offer him a new deal he would sign then we might have lost him on the cheap.

£100 k is alot, but nowadays not ridiculous, if he become surplus to requirements we sell him, and they'll be a plenty of takers, just don't see the issue.
that being the best of a bad bunch doesn't warrant. 100k a week and it sets a horrible example for younger players, become average and never have to worry about your career.

We really wouldn't of lost him, we held all the aces, he is easy to replace and playing for his boyhood team, no way would he of left and to who? Everton? Watford with TC23? doubt it

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He has played two games less than Mkhitaryan. Two whole games, that sure explains the difference in numbers.

Pogba has hit the woodwork about 20 times while Martial and Mkhitaryan rotted half the season on the bench so Jose could prove a point to them as well or the stats would be even further apart.

Laugh all you want but its accurate. Do you think Lingard is going to be in contention for the United Player of the Season award? No he obviously isn't because he's barely done a thing all year.
Which isn't really saying much since only Ibra will be considered given his lopsided contributions.

top1whoisman

Scout

Check the minutes played, much more objective than the amount of appearances. Yes, Micki has the 2nd lowest amount of mins. Where as Rashford and Mata especially have a big gap compared to Lingard. But of course you didn't comment on comparison to those other players you mentioned.

I agree that Pogba could have much better stats with a bit of luck. Not sure why you should compare midfielders to wingers.

Accurate? If you want to find as subjective and emotion-tied, not-based-on-any-stats ratings on players, fan forums are the place to go. I'd rather use some interesting statistics. For example the one that tells us that only Mata has created more chances at United than Lingard. And United has created the 3rd most amount of chances in the league, making the average winger one of the top goalscoring opportunity creator in the league. But feck those stats, posters on a fan forum don't rate him.

SirScholes

Not sure how using the opinion of united fans is a laughing matter, one person on here is spouting the fact that just because Mou is playing lingard more than most is reason to believe he is a good player....so which is it because it cant be both ways?
You cant have Lingard is good because Mou is playing him and then say oh his stats aren't good because he hasn't been playing?

With regards chances created and this is why stats can be odd, I checked who scored and they use key passes? and he is trailing Zlatan Herrera Pogba Valencia Mhiki and mata?

Interestingly/worrying he is also behind Januazi

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I want it on record that Lingard is love, Lingard is dab, Lingard is Manchester United. Hmmmmmmmm.

top1whoisman

Scout
Not sure how using the opinion of united fans is a laughing matter, one person on here is spouting the fact that just because Mou is playing lingard more than most is reason to believe he is a good player....so which is it because it cant be both ways?
You cant have Lingard is good because Mou is playing him and then say oh his stats aren't good because he hasn't been playing?

With regards chances created and this is why stats can be odd, I checked who scored and they use key passes? and he is trailing Zlatan Herrera Pogba Valencia Mhiki and mata?

Interestingly/worrying he is also behind Januazi
Opinion of United fans is not a laughing matter at all. But using that as a base for argument, c'mon. The ratings are given based on people's opinion, which means the argument is subjective.

Now compare that to statistics (no, they're not everything), which are facts.

I can guarantee that if a United player would talk shite about United fans in public, and would continue his performances at the exact same level, his ratings would go down. Why? Because he played worse than before? No, because he was not as popular anymore.

Posters' preconceptions influence ratings, it's natural. And reading the comments on the Caf, Lingard is among the least popular players in the squad. Along with Fellaini.

SirScholes

Opinion of United fans is not a laughing matter at all. But using that as a base for argument, c'mon. The ratings are given based on people's opinion, which means the argument is subjective.

Now compare that to statistics (no, they're not everything), which are facts.

I can guarantee that if a United player would talk shite about United fans in public, and would continue his performances at the exact same level, his ratings would go down. Why? Because he played worse than before? No, because he was not as popular anymore.

Posters' preconceptions influence ratings, it's natural. And reading the comments on the Caf, Lingard is among the least popular players in the squad. Along with Fellaini.
But he hasn't done that in fact he states he loves the club often but is still panned in here which shows what we think of his ability.

Like I say his stats aren't really that good either, being better than an under performing martial or a young striker being played in the wrong position isn't really anything to highlight ability, two wrongs don't make a right. Its the only argument I hear, he is doing better than x y z, that doesn't matter! thats more a slight on their performance than it is a pro for lingard!

top1whoisman

Scout
But he hasn't done that in fact he states he loves the club often but is still panned in here which shows what we think of his ability.

Like I say his stats aren't really that good either, being better than an under performing martial or a young striker being played in the wrong position isn't really anything to highlight ability, two wrongs don't make a right. Its the only argument I hear, he is doing better than x y z, that doesn't matter! thats more a slight on their performance than it is a pro for lingard!
The stats I used were from Squawka. 27 chances created in 1001 minutes in PL, every 37 minutes. Mata every 35 mins.

@Ixion posted stat comparison between players, to which I replied. Sorry about my obsession to compare Lingard with others. Mata has definitely not under-performed.

This is not going anywhere though, pointless to go on.

SirScholes

The stats I used were from Squawka. 27 chances created in 1001 minutes in PL, every 37 minutes. Mata every 35 mins.

This is not going anywhere though, pointless to go on.
Like I say, stats can be used to say anything, my stats had him behind some terrible players in other teams that he is actually better than.

Sadly neither is lingard, lets hope he finds some Wembley form because we will need it for the next couple month

top1whoisman

Scout
Like I say, stats can be used to say anything, my stats had him behind some terrible players in other teams that he is actually better than.

Sadly neither is lingard, lets hope he finds some Wembley form because we will need it for the next couple month
Luckily he is going forward, hope he develops further next season. Good night.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

Therefore we should all stop watching the actual matches and only look at Squawka to gauge a player's ability ignoring what you actually see on the pitch.
United's fans opinions should then be ignored, ergo we should ignore yours?
The fact that his performances are considered well below average - remember the performance rating does not count the number of matches but the average of all the performances. Ask the question why his rating is so low, because his poor performances far outnumber an average or better performance.

The argument now is leaning towards his increased wage is because of his potential, he's been hiding it very well and has a limited time to improve considerably. Other argument is that he was a squad player and useful to have in the squad to make an odd appearance or a sub - but he is now earning more than theoretically first team players. What is he now then.

top1whoisman

Scout
Therefore we should all stop watching the actual matches and only look at Squawka to gauge a player's ability ignoring what you actually see on the pitch.
United's fans opinions should then be ignored, ergo we should ignore yours?
The fact that his performances are considered well below average - remember the performance rating does not count the number of matches but the average of all the performances. Ask the question why his rating is so low, because his poor performances far outnumber an average or better performance.

The argument now is leaning towards his increased wage is because of his potential, he's been hiding it very well and has a limited time to improve considerably. Other argument is that he was a squad player and useful to have in the squad to make an odd appearance or a sub - but he is now earning more than theoretically first team players. What is he now then.
And the next time Martial (if he improves), Micki, Mata etc. are getting new contracts, they'll go past him in terms of salaries.

Didn't say opinions of United fans should be ignored. I wouldn't use the ratings as a base for an argument though. All you need to do is wonder around matchday threads (I never do that anymore) to see how emotionally invested posters are during and right after a match. So I choose to ignore the Caf ratings when discussing a player's performances. You choose otherwise, that's fine.

Last edited:

Bojan11

And yet Lingard is getting featured more than them. Mourinho obviously knows something Lingard's resident detractors don't. Moreover, the fact that the club have made a long term investment in him suggests he will be featured prominently for years to come. I am confident the Lingard of the past 12 months is only about 50% of the finished product. We will see much more in the coming years as he enters his prime career period.
Not every manager gets it right you know.

Jonno

I just don't understand why a minority of United fans wouldn't want a locally born, academy graduate, with lethal pace, who scores great goals, who is only 24 to be playing for us.

He has been inconsistent but he has only ever been a fringe player, and more recently a squad player. But he's young. My experience as a football fan tells me that he is going to improve greatly in the next 5 years from the level he is at now.

People are arguing that he's already the best he will be. Not everyone develops as quickly as Wayne Rooney and Michael Owen. Players peak at all kinds of different ages depending on their careers, their bodies and their game time.

He's a good player now with good attitude and he's only going to get better.

Scholsey2004

Im a big fan of jesse lingard and have been since he was 17 or 18. Whoever thought 100k per week was proportionate though was being very genorous. Same as when danny welbeck got a 75k per week contract or ashley youngs 116k contract. Dont they bother to check what other clubs are paying? Hes about the same level as nathan redmond.

stepic

And the next time Martial (if he improves), Micki, Mata etc. are getting new contracts, they'll go past him in terms of salaries.

Didn't say opinions of United fans should be ignored. I wouldn't use the ratings as a base for an argument though. All you need to do is wonder around matchday threads (I never do that anymore) to see how emotionally invested posters are during and right after a match. So I choose to ignore the Caf ratings when discussing a player's performances. You choose otherwise, that's fine.
Not like he was only basing his argument on that, he also provided you with other stats. I think it's a fair enough point to say his average is below the others. We're all fans who watch the games and yes people can be overly emotional but over the course of he seaaon I think the averages end up roughly being pretty indicative.

Lingard is just a bit average all round. You can just tell by watching the games.

top1whoisman

Scout
Minutes per either shot on target/against the woodwork or chance created (whoscored, before Sunderland match):

22.16 Mata
23.52 Mkhitaryan
25.35 Lingard
26.00 Zlatan
26.63 Rooney
26.69 Pogba
32.73 Martial
41.72 Rashford

I know it's "just some stats" again, but perhaps at least one person can see the reasom for that. People are not just desperately posting some stats to "make an average clown look decent". Maybe, just maybe all these stats back up the theory that he's not that abysmal of a football player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.