Lingard, Starter, Sub, or cash in?..

Gopher Brown

We'd get probably £8m at the very most for him, we don't need the money, he might get some good playing time next season on the RW as an alternative to Miki or whoever. Useful to keep around, but not ever going to be good enough for us.

finneh

Send him on loan to a lower level Premier league team. If he does well we could get £15m for him.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He's 23 when will he be ready? We can't wait forever in the hope he will come good. He isn't good enough at 23 for a team that placed 5th he isn't going to suddenly become good enough for the level we want to be at.
Not so sure about that.. we right of players too quickly on this forum.

That said, I don't see any signs of improvement or quality in him. I say sell. I would rather see Januzaj and Perreira on the bench.

nevillestache

I thought it had always been understood that Lingard would be a late developer and at 23/24 he's about to mature physically, which will help improve his overall game.

Not saying he should be a starter but he's a good squad option.

Mr.Plow

Keep him as a squad player while we rebuild but I don't see him having a long term future here.

He's very average. It says a lot about LVG's management of the squad that Lingard was a regular after spending £250m.

James_42

I wouldn't mind him staying if he was given a squad role, what I didn't like was the fact he was a starter and even after having many poor performances, LVG was continuing to pick him while not given other youngsters a chance.

I can't see him still being at the club in a couple of years time, he is capable of producing quality now and then but he isn't consistent enough.
His finishing is shocking and I can't see it improving anytime soon.

Ideally I would let him go but like most of the time I can see us receiving feck all for him.

ti vu

Keep as sub unless someone throw 30mil pound at us.

Devil may care

Jose isn't going to start off his reign by selling the local academy player that scored the winning goal in the FA Cup final. He'll be a squad player and I think a pretty decent one.

prath92

i dont see any reason to sell.

He loves the club, probably not on high wages, academy product, seems to be scoring a decent amount of goals, wont make a fuss at being a sub.

Sir A1ex

I know it's particularly uncool to have concerns like this on here but...

He's a local lad who has come through the entire system and scored the winning goal for us in the FA Cup final. For me he deserves to be kept around for long enough to have his chance to try and force his way into the team (or even if he's never quite first XI, plenty of fondly remembered players were happy to be mostly backup for several years... O'Shea, Ole etc).

If he's not getting games in a couple of years, let him move on. It's not like anybody gives us actual money when we sell our youth products anyway.

diarm

No point in "cashing in". He's a handy squad player and we'd only end up selling him to Sunderland for 1.8 million anyway.

Robbie Boy

Yeah we would get feck all for him so might as well keep him. He's bang average but will be ok as a squad player for another season, anyway.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'd say sell but I doubt anyone else in the premier league would take him.

JB7

Some incredibly harsh comments about a relatively young academy product who scored the winner in the FA Cup final just over a month ago...

Classical Mechanic

I know it's particularly uncool to have concerns like this on here but...

He's a local lad who has come through the entire system and scored the winning goal for us in the FA Cup final. For me he deserves to be kept around for long enough to have his chance to try and force his way into the team (or even if he's never quite first XI, plenty of fondly remembered players were happy to be mostly backup for several years... O'Shea, Ole etc).

If he's not getting games in a couple of years, let him move on. It's not like anybody gives us actual money when we sell our youth products anyway.
I agree. That FA Cup win was quite special for me. Not only because I wanted Rooney to finally win the trophy but because an academy graduate won it for us in dramatic fashion. Whatever happens in Lingard's career he will always have that moment and it is more than the vast majority of players will ever experience.

I think you would get 8m for him easy from a PL club as well. He has his limitations but works hard and has goals in him.

C'est Moi Cantona

I think a lot of people are underestimating what he would be worth, in an age where prem teams are richer than ever, and with the 'English player tax', then I could easily see him going for a Danny Welbeck sort of fee.

That said I think we should keep him for now, there are many other players that we need to show the door this summer, maybe next year.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
and he still makes you wonder if he can improve further.
Does he? Back to the "raw" term - I don't think that he is raw and I don't see the qualities that he showed (even in glimpses) he can massively improve

I have nothing against a hardworking academy graduate as a squad option though. But if we'll get a decent offer, I wouldn't be against it (and he probably has enough quality to secure a starting place for a lower-half club, although Crystal Palace targeting Batshuayi makes me question that)

ghagua

Use him as a sub as long as he is happy. Wish we had kept Michael Keane, but the fecker LvG sold him off.

dichinero

Fergie won titles with teams that had loads of squad players. Keep him, its a team sport!

C'est Moi Cantona

Does he? Back to the "raw" term - I don't think that he is raw and I don't see the qualities that he showed (even in glimpses) he can massively improve

I have nothing against a hardworking academy graduate as a squad option though. But if we'll get a decent offer, I wouldn't be against it (and he probably has enough quality to secure a starting place for a lower-half club, although Crystal Palace targeting Batshuayi makes me question that)
He is a late developer so there could well be more to come, he just leaves me with an element of doubt about how good he can be yet.

Not saying he'll ever be more than a sqaud player though, and if a crazy offer comes in then we'd be daft to not think about it.

m1y2

when mikhitarian comes, he will play less but he can be his back up, he could be used the same way and can score some goals out of nowehere, he was quite unlucky to score last season and with better support and different playstyle he can improve not only his statistics but also as a player overall. hope he gets a good preseason which he always has tbh and gets another season, he's got extra motivation and in my view can be used as a nice squad player..

don't forget this was his first senior season and still is young, fingers crossed for him

Sir A1ex

I think you would get 8m for him easy from a PL club as well. He has his limitations but works hard and has goals in him.
Yeah tops. We'd probably screw it up and get half. It's pretty meaningless money, I'd much rather take the chance on him kicking on, for now. Even if he's OK but doesn't quite make the grade we'd still get similar money in a couple of years (see Cleverley, Welbeck etc)

MounchesterUtd

Typical Jose squad player if you think about it.

Gives his all every second on the pitch, doesn't mind coming off the bench, can play multiple positions, quick, seems to have a genuine affection for the club and not afraid to get physical as you saw in the derby vs City, capable of moments of brilliance.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah tops. We'd probably screw it up and get half. It's pretty meaningless money, I'd much rather take the chance on him kicking on, for now. Even if he's OK but doesn't quite make the grade we'd still get similar money in a couple of years (see Cleverley, Welbeck etc)
I thought the same when someone said sell him for 10m. What is the point. I think Jose will give him a chance though because he does work hard.

Minimalist

Goal in the FA Cup final buys him a place in the squad, obviously.

He's not first XI material at all. I don't think he ever will be but I've been surprised before.