Lingard, Starter, Sub, or cash in?..

slir32

Squad player no point selling and buying another squad player to replace him. We have older players to clear out first and first team players still to buy.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He reminds me of Lallana a bit. Gets in all the right position and fluffs it most of the time. If he could learn how to put the ball into the net consistently he'd be a great player. Although I think you could say that about every player :p

Last edited:

BocaJuniors

If he isnt good enough for the Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich bench, then if isnt good enough for us.

Sylar

If he isnt good enough for the Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich bench, then if isnt good enough for us.
Sure people said the same about the likes of Fletcher, Brown, Oshea, etc. Even Park tbh.

pacifictheme

He'll be a great squad player.

The shit he gets from some on here is stupid, he's a good player.
I think inconsistency is his biggest problem. Sometimes hes very good, sometimes hes absolute shit. Unfortunately hes probably towards the lower end more often than the top end.

I'd keep him as a squad player, he needs to improve a fair bit to be a starter for a top team, which is what we're aiming to be.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
There are a few differences to note, though. Firstly, all of those teams are far better than we are. Secondly, he scored the winning goal in the FA Cup final for us (he also had a decent season). Every team needs squad players, and Lingard might very well suit Mourinho's style of play (defending from the front, which he does quite well).

Larseno

Decent fee? Knowing us he'll go for £20 tops. The answer is obvious - he is a great option to have on the bench.
"Knowing us he'll go for 20£ tops"? I dont think he is worth more than that. If WE want to sell I think he will go even lower. I actually think 15mill would be a fair price for him. 15 mill with addon's, maybe.

Larseno

I dont know if there is much to cash inn. If we want to sell I cant imagine him going for more than 15-20 millions. MAX. But I think he will go for around 10-15 mil depending on which add on's we get on him. I would like to see him as backup. He would be a nice player to put in when we need to defend a lead. He works hard, he is fast and can be a threat inside the box. A good combo when you need to defend. Just wish hes passing and dribling was better. Then he could have been a very good player. But sadly he must surly be the worst winger when it comes to getting past the opponent one on one. He also lacks a little strengt and has a unimpressive passing game.

Its almost like I would want to try him on top as a striker:p Could be dangerous with that pace and finishing one on one with keeper.

khoazany

I saw some on here decided that players like Memphis,Darmian,... will improve under Mourinho but Lingard won't.You're bound to a disappointment.

Womp

idiot
Good squddie and back-up. Good to have players like him who are one of us around the club too.

suheilsworld

Keep him. He is a good squad player. He is only 23 and I can see him improving. He might be a Jose kind of player who likes to run around and be in the faces of the opposition. His work rate will surely impress Jose to give him opportunities this coming season and then it will all depend on how he performs.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Squad player (I'd rather keep Lingard than Depay IMO, as Lingard's attitude seems miles better, even though if I think Depay might have a higher ceiling) - and if we sell our youngsters we should start putting in buy back options like Madrid and Barca usually do.

Anduin

Sell (we'll probably get around £3-5m), not good enough. It's great that he is a local lad, but his contribution has not been enough IMO – despite his FA Cup final goal which won't let cloud my judgement on him. Very average player who should not be in our squad.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Think you'd be crazy to sell now.
Squad players who have some talent, are coachable and love the club are worth more than getting £10m from Sunderland or Hull.

Litch

It's funny cause the more people continue to not rate him, the more he continues to prove people wrong. Let's say he had Depay on the back of his shirt, scoring that worldly in the final, people would have said great signing???

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Cashing in:lol:

The only player we should be cashing in on is Depay while there's still a chance of recouping some of the money we paid for him.

Lingard and Januzaj will be excellent squad players and maybe more as they progress and work hard enough.

I saw some on here decided that players like Memphis,Darmian,... will improve under Mourinho but Lingard won't.You're bound to a disappointment.
Lingard is not a caf favourite though. Only the caf favourites are likely to improve under Mourinho. The rest are shite.

RedDevil@84

Its a squad game lads. He defo needs to stick around.

Can't be getting rid of young local talent just because they don't reach the very top. Wish we never sold Welbeck and Cleverley for the same reasons.
Danny boy was sold because he wanted regular starts, but he was not good enough to get them.
Cleverley was allowed to go because he was s**t. Hell, even Everton fans think he needs to go.

RedDevil@84

Firstly we dont need money.
Next, Lingard won't fetch us astronomical sums of money.

After last season. he truly deserves another shot as a squad player. Keep him as squad player.

GBBQ

If he's happy being a sub then I would keep him but I would imagine at some point he will get a good offer from a premiership club for regular football and will go for that. He's not as bad as some people make him out to be on here and has a decent eye for goal but I think he's a notch below what we want in a nailed down starter.

LLMU

Keep him. Useful to the team and also for that goal in the FA Cup final. Surely deserve playing time in the side albeit not as a regular starter.

Runner

He's 23 when will he be ready? We can't wait forever in the hope he will come good. He isn't good enough at 23 for a team that placed 5th he isn't going to suddenly become good enough for the level we want to be at.
Gareth Bale was awful at 23 years old and couldn't win a game with spurs.

JackRed

Terrible example, some serious rewriting of history there. I even checked for white text but there was none. :nervous:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Gareth Frank Bale... Born 16th July 1989
so he was 23 in the 2012-2013 Season... He scored 21 in 33 League Games for Spurs (26 in 44 for the whole season) and he won his 2nd PFA player of the year award (he also won in 2009-2010... and it was his 3rd season being voted in the PFA team of the season) and he joined Madrid in the next transfer window

yeah - awful:houllier:

Runner

Gareth Frank Bale... Born 16th July 1989
so he was 23 in the 2012-2013 Season... He scored 21 in 33 League Games for Spurs (26 in 44 for the whole season) and he won his 2nd PFA player of the year award (he also won in 2009-2010... and it was his 3rd season being voted in the PFA team of the season) and he joined Madrid in the next transfer window

yeah - awful:houllier:
Pardon, I made mistake with his age. It was the year or two previously (2008/11) that he was largely under-performing while playing as a left-back. Didn't he go something like 20 games without a win for spurs? Anyway, my example wasn't right and I won't derail the thread.

stu_1992

Wouldn't sell him at all, decdnt squad player. I'd give him another season for sure. Had some decent moments last year.

OohAahMartial

I thought that for his first full season in the first team he did very well, scored quite a few goals, some of very high technical quality. I don't think he's anywhere close to fulfilling his true potential yet nor even found his ideal position in an ideal formation. He's certainly not a classical winger. I look forward to see what Mourinho does with him and think he will have a long career with us, even if it is as a squad player.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
In this market we'd easily get 15m for him

JoaquinJoaquin

Not good enough for a club United's side. Don't like to see academy players leave but sometimes you have to be realistic and at 23 going on 24 the fact is he probably wont ever be good enough.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Pardon, I made mistake with his age. It was the year or two previously (2008/11) that he was largely under-performing while playing as a left-back. Didn't he go something like 20 games without a win for spurs? Anyway, my example wasn't right and I won't derail the thread.
he was in the PFA team of the year the season before (22)
He won PFA player of the year the season before that (21)
but yeah at 20 he had a knee surgery and it took him a while to find form that season (he still played 30 games though)
The season before at 19 he had a bit of a mare - and lost his place at left back
so yeah that season he wasnt on the winning side in 12 games - then he had knee surgery and it was another 8 games or so till he was on the winning side and established himself in the first team at 20
But certainly from being 21 years old he was a star... that when he basically destroyed Maicon and as I say he won PFA player of the year
I dont think its fair to cite him in relation to Lingard
that said I hope Jesse gets another chance under jose

flappyjay

do some people know how hard it is to get decent squad players. Mourinho struggled with this at Chelsea, if you buy a player who is used to starting matches and is a regular for their national team they wont accept a squad role just like Quadrado, De Bruyne, Schuller and Salah. If you sell the likes of Lingard and buy someone who is a level above then you talking about guys like Barkley, Lallana who would cost 25 million+ and then complain about playing time. Love them or hate them guys like Valencia, Young and Lingard are important for the squad. Lingard works on his finishing he could get 10-15 in all competitions.

Perrick Dubois

Cash in?.. What? He's Mancunian... We ideally should not be selling Mancunian players who are good enough for a squad role (beyond that I have no qualms), they are man-management slam dunks.