Lingard to join West Ham on loan

Matt851

Far from it. I have always believed he had the quality (to be a good player, not necessarily a great one), because even if it was just for a limited period, he showed it both for United and for England at the World Cup. That was surely no fluke, so even when he went off form, like Martial has now, you still know the player is in there. The three factors that were consistent during his best run of form were:

1. Playing his best position
2. Getting consistent gametime
3. Being a valued member of the team

I for one lost a bit of respect for Ole when he dropped him, simply because it seemed to me, Ole was playing to the gallery. Fine, he hadn't scored in a year or so at the time, but he was a critical part of the Ole's initial success, and everyone could see how much his injury (against Liverpool?) had an impact in changing the way the team played. He had also been a critical part of Mourinho's team before the signing of Sanchez which disrupted both himself and Martial. For that reason, it was obvious to me and should have been to Ole, that the player was going through a rough patch for whatever reason, and I do believe he (Ole) was thinking along these lines because he did persist with him until the media started going on about how Lingard had not scored in a year.

Isn't it remarkable that Ole dropped him the very next game, and then produced that infamous "one more time and you're off on-camera moment"? I think he dropped Lingard simply as a reaction to the press picking up on his failings, in order to boost his own standing. Otherwise, why did he stick with him for so long? And can anyone explain why Martial has not been given the same treatment? Ole, in this sense, treated Lingard unfairly, and I think Lingard has a chip on his shoulder about it.

Post lockdown, Lingard hasn't had a single bad game in the few chances he has gotten, beginning from his winning goal at Leicester last season. He showed he was looking sharp and back to his old levels, which meant he could at least bring something to the team. I am happy for him at West Ham and clearly staying there is best for him. He will go back to being a respected player and England interantional.
You must be on the wind up, citing the winning goal against leicester as an achievement - maybe you should actually watch the goal. It was also his first premier league goal or assist in around 18 months

He is not good enough. Even if martial no longer looks good enough that doesn't make lingard a better player

The Original

You must be on the wind up, citing the winning goal against leicester as an achievement - maybe you should actually watch the goal. It was also his first premier league goal or assist in around 18 months

He is not good enough. Even if martial no longer looks good enough that doesn't make lingard a better player
Where did I do that? :confused:

I can't understand how you read all of what I posted and came up with this a rejoinder. You are inventing arguments to respond to now.

I said, simply, after having acknowledged his long spell of poor form, he has looked sharp since he came on against Leicester. Never said Lingard is good because Martial no longer looks good either. I said he is good as proven by the form he showed earlier, and going off form like Martial has, does not make him (or Martial) a bad player.

youngrell

Far from it. I have always believed he had the quality (to be a good player, not necessarily a great one), because even if it was just for a limited period, he showed it both for United and for England at the World Cup. That was surely no fluke, so even when he went off form, like Martial has now, you still know the player is in there. The three factors that were consistent during his best run of form were:

1. Playing his best position
2. Getting consistent gametime
3. Being a valued member of the team

I for one lost a bit of respect for Ole when he dropped him, simply because it seemed to me, Ole was playing to the gallery. Fine, he hadn't scored in a year or so at the time, but he was a critical part of the Ole's initial success, and everyone could see how much his injury (against Liverpool?) had an impact in changing the way the team played. He had also been a critical part of Mourinho's team before the signing of Sanchez which disrupted both himself and Martial. For that reason, it was obvious to me and should have been to Ole, that the player was going through a rough patch for whatever reason, and I do believe he (Ole) was thinking along these lines because he did persist with him until the media started going on about how Lingard had not scored in a year.

Isn't it remarkable that Ole dropped him the very next game, and then produced that infamous "one more time and you're off on-camera moment"? I think he dropped Lingard simply as a reaction to the press picking up on his failings, in order to boost his own standing. Otherwise, why did he stick with him for so long? And can anyone explain why Martial has not been given the same treatment? Ole, in this sense, treated Lingard unfairly, and I think Lingard has a chip on his shoulder about it.

Post lockdown, Lingard hasn't had a single bad game in the few chances he has gotten, beginning from his winning goal at Leicester last season. He showed he was looking sharp and back to his old levels, which meant he could at least bring something to the team. I am happy for him at West Ham and clearly staying there is best for him. He will go back to being a respected player and England interantional.
Let's be honest, Lingard's month or two of scoring goals and playing well was the purplest of purple patches and definitely the exception and not the rule during his career so far. Before and after that his production has been abysmal for a forward player.

There is absolutely no chance Ole was pandering to anyone when dropping him. He give him copious amounts of opportunities to prove himself and all he did was get worse. Jesse is a good ball carrier and certainly played his part at the beginning of Ole's reign with his ability to press and counter, but as our team and tactics have evolved to being more dominant with the ball, he just doesn't fit in.

You mention him playing in his best position, but is he likely to even get a look in here now with Bruno? No. And nor should he. Not even as the first back up.

The Original

Let's be honest, Lingard's month or two of scoring goals and playing well was the purplest of purple patches and definitely the exception and not the rule during his career so far. Before and after that his production has been abysmal for a forward player.

There is absolutely no chance Ole was pandering to anyone when dropping him. He give him copious amounts of opportunities to prove himself and all he did was get worse. Jesse is a good ball carrier and certainly played his part at the beginning of Ole's reign with his ability to press and counter, but as our team and tactics have evolved to being more dominant with the ball, he just doesn't fit in.

You mention him playing in his best position, but is he likely to even get a look in here now with Bruno? No. And nor should he. Not even as the first back up.
Which just happened to coincidentally be the first time in his career he was allowed to play 10 for an extended run. Purple patch or player finally being set free in his preferred position? Lest you forget he also carried that form through to the world cup. I'm not saying he is good enough to start at Utd - I'm saying he could have brought a lot to the team if he hadn't been completely frozen out.

We still play a lot of counter attacking football and bringing Jesse on to see off games seems a much more promising prospect than bringing on James for example.

youngrell

Which just happened to coincidentally be the first time in his career he was allowed to play 10 for an extended run. Purple patch or player finally being set free in his preferred position? Lest you forget he also carried that form through to the world cup. I'm not saying he is good enough to start at Utd - I'm saying he could have brought a lot to the team if he hadn't been completely frozen out.

We still play a lot of counter attacking football and bringing Jesse on to see off games seems a much more promising prospect than bringing on James for example.
He's been frozen out because he was absolutely woeful for close to 2 years. He had a crazy amount of chances, fans were pulling their hair out that he was still involved so much after such bad form. Ole give him every chance to stay in his plans but he failed to deliver. He even had 40 appearances just last season.

The guy is 28 years old, being paid way too much for what he brings to the squad and needs to move on for his and our sake.

wolvored

Where is he blaming anyone else? He was just stating the fact that he wasn't getting any chances after the lockdown – he goes on to say how he went back to the basics and kept himself fit for when he got the chance to play.
The point I'm trying to make is hes saying he wasnt given any chances. He was given loads before and was crap. Ole saw him in training and didnt see anything to change his mind about giving him more chances. Now hes gone to another club and because hes scored 2 in 3 games starts bleating how hard done he has been. Why didnt he keep his trap shut and if he was a success at West Ham he may have been able to say something at the end of the season. In fact he may have then been given another chance by Ole, if he is still here.

wolvored

What @The Original said above.

In my view Lingard would be a reasonable option now to freshen things up. How many more chances is Ole going to give the shit weekly shit show that is Rashford and Martial.
I agree with Rashford and Martial and as I said to another poster if Lingard had have kept his mouth shut and at the end of the season, been a success at West Ham, he would have had every right to spout about giving another chance. Ole saw him in training and must have thought he was the worse of the 3, which dooesnt say much.

GlasgowCeltic

Kieron Richardson must wish he was born a decade later, could’ve “homegrown lad”d his way to another 5+ years at the club rather than being moved on as soon as it was evident he wasn’t good enough

Acole9

Outstanding
Kieron Richardson must wish he was born a decade later, could’ve “homegrown lad”d his way to another 5+ years at the club rather than being moved on as soon as it was evident he wasn’t good enough
SAF sold him partly because he was getting grief off the match going fans. Imagine if social media existed back then.

The Original

He's been frozen out because he was absolutely woeful for close to 2 years. He had a crazy amount of chances, fans were pulling their hair out that he was still involved so much after such bad form. Ole give him every chance to stay in his plans but he failed to deliver. He even had 40 appearances just last season.

The guy is 28 years old, being paid way too much for what he brings to the squad and needs to move on for his and our sake.
He was frozen out after the first year and given few chances the next so not quite the case that he's been woeful for 2 years. I don't mind a player being moved on but I do have questions on which player gets moved on and how. Arguably he's to be replaced by DVB who plays in much the same way with little evidence of increased quality. For the past few years he's also been one of the lower earners so wages shouldn't factor in.

Falcow

Well, for a start he's playing in a different team with different expectations and with opponents who approach the game differently to when playing against United. HE has far more room than he did/would while playing for us, which suits him and the way he plays.

Martial is having a horrible season, but even then his bottom level has not been as bad as Jesse's. Jesse's output for us was close to zero 90% of the time. It's incredibly shortsighted.
And what has Martials output been for this season? Dont think you can get any closer to zero output than what we have got from Martial so far this season.

Martial from last season different story obviously but he seems to have thrown the toys out of pram again with the arrival of Cavani.

youngrell

And what has Martials output been for this season? Dont think you can get any closer to zero output than what we have got from Martial so far this season.

Martial from last season different story obviously but he seems to have thrown the toys out of pram again with the arrival of Cavani.
Martial's output has been 12 goals/assists in 29 games during probably his worst bit of form in his career.

Lingard's best ever season reaped 19 in 48 games, every other season he hasn't even halved that return. Crazy that I even have to speak about this.

SAFMUTD

Hopefully he can sustain his form so we can get a decent fee for him in the summer.

stevoc

He has vs Watford and Fernandes scored the winning goal in that game we won 2-0.

stevoc

Martial's output has been 12 goals/assists in 29 games during probably his worst bit of form in his career.

Lingard's best ever season reaped 19 in 48 games, every other season he hasn't even halved that return. Crazy that I even have to speak about this.
Those numbers really do give us some perspective on Lingards productivity or lack there of. He'll do well for a park the bus/kick and run side like West Ham, good luck to him.

Lee565

I ain't a big of lingard but I always wondered why lingard wasn't ever given a go on the left wing, surely that would have suited him so much more than the right wing as he is heavily right footed and is really more of second striker type of player and has more of a curled finesse technique to his shots which would have best utilized coming inside from the left wing rather than the right wing.

stevoc

I ain't a big of lingard but I always wondered why lingard wasn't ever given a go on the left wing, surely that would have suited him so much more than the right wing as he is heavily right footed and is really more of second striker type of player and has more of a curled finesse technique to his shots which would have best utilized coming inside from the left wing rather than the right wing.
Martial, Rashford and Sanchez all played there.

Nickelodeon

It is unbelievable that people on here are seriously having a go at the manager for not managing Lingard well. I genuinely believe that I haven’t seen a worse player who’s had as many appearances as Lingard. Just because he goes to West Ham and scores 2 goals, suddenly we didn’t give him enough chances?! Not scoring or assisting for a full year as an attacker is pathetic for an attacking player of any PL club let alone Man United. If people think he wasn’t given enough chances, they need to get their heads checked.

Falcow

In fairness I asked about his output this season. My whole point has been about how they are currently playing and no one can tell me that Martials output is better than Lingards at the moment, it's not. Martials output is dreadful at the moment, not sure why you seem to disagree with that. Talking about past glories is pointless when your form has been awful for more than half a season.

Martial has scored 6 goals this season and 3 assists. 2 of those goals against 9 man Southampton. What ever way you look at it, that's a steaming pile of kack in terms of output for a supposedly world class player. I guarantee you Dan James, Juan Mata or Lingard would have a better output than that if they played as much as Martial has this season.

I didnt realise Lingard managed 19 goals for us in one season actually.

Clearly Martial is the more talented and capable player, no one is arguing otherwise on here as far as I can tell. However form is temporary as they say except in Martials case, his form has been shit since September and how he is still starting for us I have no idea.

If Lingard was still in the squad, I would rather he play ahead of Martial given the form both are currently in.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
He's absolutely not good enough for us anymore. Even if he gets back to his best he no longer has a serious place in the squad.

And that's great news as it shows were getting better.

Under his brevado he is probably a nice guy. I hope he wins titles except against us

stevoc

In fairness I asked about his output this season. My whole point has been about how they are currently playing and no one can tell me that Martials output is better than Lingards at the moment, it's not. Martials output is dreadful at the moment, not sure why you seem to disagree with that. Talking about past glories is pointless when your form has been awful for more than half a season.

Martial has scored 6 goals this season and 3 assists. 2 of those goals against 9 man Southampton. What ever way you look at it, that's a steaming pile of kack in terms of output for a supposedly world class player. I guarantee you Dan James, Juan Mata or Lingard would have a better output than that if they played as much as Martial has this season.

I didnt realise Lingard managed 19 goals for us in one season actually.

Clearly Martial is the more talented and capable player, no one is arguing otherwise on here as far as I can tell. However form is temporary as they say except in Martials case, his form has been shit since September and how he is still starting for us I have no idea.

If Lingard was still in the squad, I would rather he play ahead of Martial given the form both are currently in.
That's because it never happened, back in 17/18 in which i think we can all agree was Lingard's best ever season he had 13 goals and 7 assists from 48 games. Martial this season in which i think most of us can also agree has been probably his worst season has 7 goals and 8 assists from 29 games. Even in this horrible form would you bet against Martial having 13 or more goals by the end of the season?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
I've come to accept over the past few years that United is not a club that maximizes the talents of the players it brings. Players succeed despite, not because of our tactical systems.

As to how that applies to Lingard, that is up for discussion

He'sRaldo

I've come to accept over the past few years that United is not a club that maximizes the talents of the players it brings. Players succeed despite, not because of our tactical systems.

Definitely, and it will be dismissed should Lingard do well, the same way Lukaku and Smalling's cases were dismissed. I feel Martial will be the next to get the Utd treatment.

As another guy said, it really puts into perspective Bruno's productivity.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.

I'd say that's debatable when it comes to players that come through our academy. It might be true for players that we buy but we tend to shelter those that we bring through. Lingard is one of those. Now that he's out in the real world he actually has to prove he can bring the goods not hide behind statements about percentages and how far he's come.

Anyway, I'm heavily biased now that I read his comments about not getting a chance under Ole. He can feck right off.

hobbers

. Just because he goes to West Ham and scores 2 goals
2 goals that any half decent keeper should have saved*, and won a penalty.

His playstyle should suit West Ham under Moyes down to a T. I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes the season with 5-6 goals, and maybe an assist or two. Basically a better return than at any period during his United career. Playing well for West Ham is not equivalent to playing well for us. And god forbid it ever should be.

stevoc

Do you mean just under Solakjaer? Or Ole, Jose and LVG?

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Do you mean just under Solakjaer? Or Ole, Jose and LVG?
Going back to the last few years of SAF

I'd say that's debatable when it comes to players that come through our academy. It might be true for players that we buy but we tend to shelter those that we bring through. Lingard is one of those. Now that he's out in the real world he actually has to prove he can bring the goods not hide behind statements about percentages and how far he's come.

Anyway, I'm heavily biased now that I read his comments about not getting a chance under Ole. He can feck right off.
Very reasonable caveat honestly

Agree with your sentiments regarding Lingard if he was calling Ole out

Tibs

2 goals that any half decent keeper should have saved*, and won a penalty.

His playstyle should suit West Ham under Moyes down to a T. I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes the season with 5-6 goals, and maybe an assist or two. Basically a better return than at any period during his United career. Playing well for West Ham is not equivalent to playing well for us. And god forbid it ever should be.
To be honest, I fully expect Jesse to have a better return of goals/assists than Rashford over the same period.

stevoc

Going back to the last few years of SAF
But surely 4 managers can't be failing the players in the same way?

4 different managers with different coaching methods, different training regimes and different man management styles. One of those managers is currently managing Lingard.

So i don't think it's something the managers or club is doing wrong. It could possibly just be the much higher pressure to perform at a higher profile club where players are under the microscope.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
He's had plenty of opportunities under Ole and failed to impress. Anyway, with the options of Pogba and Bruno at Ole's disposal, it was just impossible for him to get into the team. He's now a big fish in a small pond so he's bound to stand out amongst some decent to average players.

stevoc

To be honest, I fully expect Jesse to have a better return of goals/assists than Rashford over the same period.
Really?

Rashford has 16 goals and 11 assists already only halfway through this season when he hasn't been at his best and shifted around a lot of positions. Lingards best ever season was 13 and 7 over an entire season.

Falcow

That's because it never happened, back in 17/18 in which i think we can all agree was Lingard's best ever season he had 13 goals and 7 assists from 48 games. Martial this season in which i think most of us can also agree has been probably his worst season has 7 goals and 8 assists from 29 games. Even in this horrible form would you bet against Martial having 13 or more goals by the end of the season?
Hmm half way through the season and half way there in terms of goals. I'd have to say that I would expect him to surpass that so no I probably wouldnt bet against it but also wouldnt bet a whole lot on it happening either. Martial has 4 goals from 19 PL appearances this season playing for the highest scoring team in the league, at least we were until very recently. Going back to my original point, I would definitely wager that Lingard or Dan James would have more by now if they had 19 appearances same as Martial.

Real Name

Garth Crooks says Ole might regret his decision, that says it all.

He scores 2 goals and suddenly he's a second coming of Maradona.

The Original

That's a misreading of what he said. He said he hasnt been given chances post lockdown--and that was in the context of explaining that he needed to move to play.

stevoc

Hmm half way through the season and half way there in terms of goals. I'd have to say that I would expect him to surpass that so no I probably wouldnt bet against it but also wouldnt bet a whole lot on it happening either. Martial has 4 goals from 19 PL appearances this season playing for the highest scoring team in the league, at least we were until very recently. Going back to my original point, I would definitely wager that Lingard or Dan James would have more by now if they had 19 appearances same as Martial.
Who have you been watching the last 6 years?

Lingard has 18 PL goals in his career over 6 PL seasons. Thats in 133 PL games for United, so he averaged 1 goal every 7.3 games. So if Lingard had made 19 PL appearances for United this season he would most likely have scored 2 maybe 3 goals by now. And that average is skewed heavily by one purple patch in late 2017 where he scored 8 goals over a 2-3 month period.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
That's a misreading of what he said. He said he hasnt been given chances post lockdown--and that was in the context of explaining that he needed to move to play.
He's misrepresenting that himself. Lockdown wasn't some magical reset. He didn't get chances post lockdown because he didn't perform prior to it. That's not Ole's fault.

Falcow

Who have you been watching the last 6 years?

Lingard has 18 PL goals in his career over 6 PL seasons. Thats in 133 PL games for United, so he averaged 1 goal every 7.3 games. So if Lingard had made 19 PL appearances for United this season he would most likely have scored 2 maybe 3 goals by now. And that average is skewed heavily by one purple patch in late 2017 where he scored 8 goals over a 2-3 month period.
For the last fecking time I'm not arguing that he is a better player than Martial. I'm talking about current form. Lingard is in better form than Martial at present. You seem to think differently so good for you. He has already got two goals and it has taken him 2 or 3 games not 19.

Lingard is at the present time playing better football than Martial, is thay even a debate at the moment? Will that continue over the next 3 years? Probably not. But would I drop Martial based on his recent performances and play Lingard instead to see if he can do any better? 100% yes. I cant make my point any clearer than that.