Film Lion king - live action adaptation

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Despite being generally unenthused by the prospect of the remake, I was still surprised at how little I liked this. Especially given I ended up thinking the Jungle Book remake was pretty alright. This was dull, completely lacking in imagination and dripping with dead eyed cynicism. A completely charmless film.

Agree with the problems some had with the ability of the lion's to emote properly too. If this was a brand new film and the creators were presented with the choice of opting for animation or opting for this, I have no doubt which they would have deemed the more effective way of telling the story.

paulscholes18

Thought it was good apart from the singing, ruined can you feel the love tonight. Hurt my ears listening to that

Robertd0803

Thought it was absolute tripe. Shameless cash-in that served no purpose other than 'look what we can do'.

Had a few decent bits (the reason why Scar is still around, Nala having some extra time and Shenzai sp?) but things like odd tones to the dialogue, somehow missing the zoom in shot of Simba in the gorge (yet using the same camera shot later for Pumbaa) and ruining Be Prepared meant it wasnt very enjoyable at all.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
People are judging the nature of the film (a live action re-telling, not even a remake), not the quality of the film itself. Some people just hate the fact that this was done. Right from the start they hate its mere existence. It's a GOOD film IMO, especially for the "live action animals" genre.

Yes, "Be Prepared" felt darker and more realistic. Did people really expect a "live action" version of the Nazi parade? Ha! No way. And I personally prefer the "two voices-male and female" version of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight". Feels more natural than Elton John's voice suddenly jumping into the film. The final fight of Simba and Scar pumped me up.
But they are all CGI.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Saw this yesterday. Fell asleep about 5 times, much to my OH's chagrin (who dragged me along to it as compromise for us then watching spiderman straight after).

It was decent enough, but to me wholly pointless as a weaker remaking of the original. I thought they'd tamper a little, but leaving it verbatim was... not interesting.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Yeah usually to hate it, and therefore to form an opinion on a film, it's good to see it. You may be onto something here.
Am I? What about the movies that flop hard, not even making a profit? Internet backlash usually does it for you; this movie has both warm and harsh reviews, yet it's already one of the Top10 most successful movies of all time not adjusted for inflation. Curious achievement for a movie often depicted as a "joyless, dull, pointless retelling".

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Thought it was absolute tripe. Shameless cash-in that served no purpose other than 'look what we can do'.

Had a few decent bits (the reason why Scar is still around, Nala having some extra time and Shenzai sp?) but things like odd tones to the dialogue, somehow missing the zoom in shot of Simba in the gorge (yet using the same camera shot later for Pumbaa) and ruining Be Prepared meant it wasnt very enjoyable at all.
Why is that? I kinda refuse to go see this.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I think I am going to watch this soon. I have a class of 3 women that invited me. I suppose I can tolerate it because we're going for a curry after.

Robertd0803

Why is that? I kinda refuse to go see this.
Basically prior to the film Scar challenged Mufasa for leadership of the pride and lost, but instead of killing/banishing him, Mufasa allowed him to stay because he was family.

Wonderful decision by Mufasa in hindsight :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Mufasa was a dick anyway, I understand Scar’s actions way better now I’m older.

RedDevilRoshi

Basically prior to the film Scar challenged Mufasa for leadership of the pride and lost, but instead of killing/banishing him, Mufasa allowed him to stay because he was family.

Wonderful decision by Mufasa in hindsight :lol:

Sure I read something like Scar was constantly overlooked by his father who favoured Mufasa over him all the time.

Poor Scar even had a crush on Zarabi before Mufasa stole her.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The movie has grossed 1.5 billion worldwide. So far.

For such a divisive film, it seems that everybody has seen it, including those who hated it.
Kids love animals. Kids love singing. Singing animals = all the money in the universe.

I'd also add that kids also shit themselves and fall over everything. So kids are dumb.