Film Lion king - live action adaptation

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Mulan is next. They recently dropped the trailer too. Hopefully they don't make it super feminist just for the sake of it
You know deep down it’s going to be super feminist. The first one already has feminist themes and that’s 90s standards. This is Disney, after all.

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
I saw it and it was good. Pretty much the same script and scenes with a few mods here and there. There were definitely some references to modern things but i thought was included tastefully. There was another funny addition but I won’t spoil. My only criticism is the lack of facial expressions which makes it less sad. But you really have to try to hate it otherwise.

Sanche7

You know deep down it’s going to be super feminist. The first one already has feminist themes and that’s 90s standards. This is Disney, after all.
Yeah, I know, I am just hoping that's not the case. I'm OK with female empowerment and all that but when it sin your face feminism, just for the sake of ticking the feminism box, I hate it. It was like that female superhero scene in endgame. Already there is some controversy surrounding the film.

The things is, these live action remakes are a win win for Disney. They already own the IP, they know very well that the script and the movies are fantastic and that almost everyone who saw the old animated movies (which includes almost everyone) will watch it just for the nostalgia factor, plus it's fun for the family and kids.
I recently watched Aladdin despite reading multiple reviews which said it was just another remake and nothing extra ordinary. After watching it, I felt the same, it was an OK movie, nothing great, but I was happy because it brought back so many memories.

The only thing they have to do is not mess it up completely. Add a few bells and whistles and boom 1 billion dollars in the pocket. In 20 years I expect to see another remake of the same movies using some new technology and I fully expect myself to go and watch these movies all over again

With regards to Mulan, it's a bigger win for Disney. Feminism - check, Minority representation - check, Asian Audience - check. And that's on top of the billions its going to make worldwide. But at least an Asian lady got to play Mulan, I was worried they were going to cast Scar Jo for the role

Last edited:

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
There is no comparison between original and this remake. Original will always win. I did enjoy this remake though - but it was always going to come out second.

evil_geko

This was a lifeless mess, pretty much an insult to the original, even worse than I expected, bloody hell Disney, just STOP.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I enjoyed it tbh. The humour stands up really well and there were plenty of laugh out loud moments.

That said, it clearly wasn't remotely necessary. There's no improvement on the original at all because the CGI lions just can't be as expressive as they were through animation, even if the CGI is impressive and there are some beautiful shots you still lose the charm you get from an animated film. It's blatantly just a big ol' cash grab but still one I would recommend seeing if you're nostalgic and have some spare time. It's not terrible by any means.

I'm also in a tiny minority of people who really enjoyed the new take on the 'be prepared' song. It was short but darker and more serious, scar in general I found more intimidating than he was in the animated films, but obviously a lot of people feel otherwise.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Good film, won't top the original but was a decent watch, I enjoyed it

wr8_utd

:'(
I really enjoyed it despite all the apprehensions about how going away from the animated version to this would kill the magic etc.

Sylar

Way too many grumpy people about this.

I for one am looking forward to more live action adaptations of all our favourites :)

oLeSoLsKjAeR20

Hated it to be honest. Only things I enjoyed were due to nostalgia of the original. The completely butchered the be prepared song, dropped the ball on things like "can you feel the love tonight" all being shot actually in the day for some reason and emotion was the big thing. Also many of the voice actors sound like they are barely trying.

Only good thing was timon and pumba. Everything else is significantly better in the original.
This post sums up pretty much exactly how I felt. Apart from Timon. Thought he was nowhere near as funny as the Timon from the original. Thought Seth Rogan was great as Pumbaa. But yeah the lack of emotion and the weird tones in voices just did not sit well at all. Timon, Zazu, Scar were all really disappointing. Maybe I was just comparing it too much to the original but it's a subconscious thing and kind of out of your control. I will say it was visually excellent but other than that - a let down

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
This was a lifeless mess, pretty much an insult to the original, even worse than I expected, bloody hell Disney, just STOP.
But the problem is you went and watched it, so they have you're money and will keep doing remakes.

United Hobbit

While I enjoyed it more than I thought I would having never been remotely inclined to watch the other live action remakes, did anyone else think the songs weren't as good?

Maybe its because I'm female and soppy but I preferred Elton John's Can You Feel the Love Tonight compared to this one, also I didn't notice at the time of watching until I read comments after but the time of day when it was on?!

Maybe as well because I've seen the Stage Show which gives you goosebumps i just didnt connect with the songs as much though in the Jungle was getting in my head a lot.

I also fully expected to cry, I did at the stage version and also the original (though I was 4 so have an excuse) but I came closer to crying at Circle of Life at the beginning than at what happens to Mufasa. Yet that is the bit that set me off in both the original and Stage show. Also doesn't the Stage version have a longer version of He Lives in You? That was another I was waiting to cry at but I didn't and cant recall it in the remake?

I don't think it has inspired me to watch the other remakes though I'll probably give Lady and the Tramp a try when it comes out however it was mostly well made, the animation was mostly good apart from at times the animals' movement was a little off. Timon and Pumba amused me most, the hyenas grated a little and felt a little forced. Weird thing to say about animated animals but with T & P you got a sense of Chemistry whereas you didnt with the hyenas.

Reviews on IMDB are very split it seems to either have 10's or 1's

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I hated it. Didn't like the visuals at all and it messed up some of the best scenes from the original. Completely useless and subpar remake.

evil_geko

But the problem is you went and watched it, so they have you're money and will keep doing remakes.
They can have my $2 how much I payed to watch it. It's basically how much it's worth.

Useless emotionless train wreck of a remake, like watching Animal Planet with Lion King sound in the back. This is also like Psycho remake was, why do Remake if you are going to do everything the same shot by shot, there is literally no reason to see this as it brings nothing new but everything worse.

SparkedIntoLife

Also doesn't the Stage version have a longer version of He Lives in You? That was another I was waiting to cry at but I didn't and cant recall it in the remake?
I love He Lives In You. I believe it was only in the stage show and the second animated film Simba's Pride. It would've been a nice touch to include it in the remake though.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The voice of Simba was lifeless, especially during songs.

I didn’t overly enjoy it for a few reasons, mainly because it was the same across the board and I expected at least some changes, maybe upgraded humour.

As some have alluded to above, the voice acting for a few of them was lifeless, like they weren’t even trying.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
So why bother making it?
The remake of Beauty and the Beast made $1.264 billion. While I don't like the idea of remaking classics, if you're Disney it would be borderline negligent not to try and repeat that trick. It's a massive payday for all concerned, which is reason enough to make a film I suppose.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It's blatantly just a big ol' cash grab but still one I would recommend seeing if you're nostalgic and have some spare time. It's not terrible by any means.
Exactly how I felt about it - you're always gonna hate it if you try to compare it to the original, but it felt nostalgic throughout.

Also loved Donald Glover and Beyonce singing together, both such amazing voices.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
The remake of Beauty and the Beast made $1.264 billion. While I don't like the idea of remaking classics, if you're Disney it would be borderline negligent not to try and repeat that trick. It's a massive payday for all concerned, which is reason enough to make a film I suppose.
Aladdin has grossed $989 million so far too, so it will likely pass the billion mark as well.

It’s a licence to print money.

Sylar

Not only that, but its a movie for the newer generation.

Also, everything is pretty much a cashgrab. Everything is made with the purpose of making money, isnt it? (apart from Kubo... :nervous:)

For every person who goes in and compares it to the animated version, theres gonna be people who havent seen the animated one and will see this for the first time

0le

The cinema is ridiculously expensive these days, even if you get a monthly pass. I always think very carefully about what film I am going to watch. Therefore I am always surprised to see films like this make so much money, when they are just remakes of timeless classics which can cost a few quid to buy and watch at home.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
As some have alluded to above, the voice acting for a few of them was lifeless, like they weren’t even trying.
This is what shocked me most. So much of the voice acting seemed flat, the theatrical dimension of Jeremy Irons and James Earl Jones was completely lost. And I know JEJ was doing Mufasa again, but it seemed very different this time around. I did enjoy John Oliver's Zazu though.
The whole thing just felt a bit empty.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
The cinema is ridiculously expensive these days, even if you get a monthly pass. I always think very carefully about what film I am going to watch. Therefore I am always surprised to see films like this make so much money, when they are just remakes of timeless classics which can cost a few quid to buy and watch at home.
I just watched it with reclining leather couches for like 7 dollars. Tuesday's are specials here.

The movie was alright. Nothing magical. Brought back memories which was good but I thought the colors were a little off.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
It's a shot for shot remake pretty much. No originality, nowhere near the same level of attachment or emotion. Absolutely pointless film.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The magic from these disney movies is in the animation. They should really stop destroying the souls of these things. Just put the original in theaters again. It's ten times as good.

Eddy_JukeZ

It's completely soulless.

The original is my favorite animation movie ever.

Mufasa's death scene is butchered in the remake. Be prepared is butchered. Mufasa cloud scene is butchered.

Voices and singing all felt flat. Don't get me started on Beyonce.

Amazing visuals, but no emotion nor heart.

Havak

Pokemon master
The original Lion King has never really been a favourite film of mine, not that I disliked it. I thought this was rather good though, it was worth the cinema trip for sure. I'd imagine if you hold the original film dear to your heart, then this will just feel incredibly secondary. If you're more indifferent or haven't even seen the original then you'll probably enjoy this more. Other than the facial expressions occasionally, I thought the animation was quite amazing, right up there with the best ever. It was hard to ruin the music from this film and IMO they didn't.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
It's one of the best-looking films I've ever seen. The stampede scene in particular is an achievement in itself.

That said, I do agree it's mostly a re-telling of the (in my opinion) superior cartoon version of 1994. Some of the more emotional scenes of 1994 feel a little rushed and cold in 2019 (the scene where Mufasa is "angry" at Simba for disobeying him, for example). But I liked the few new scenes (Sarabi refusing Scar, Nala escaping) and the extended dialogue of Timon and Pumbaa.
And I personally prefer the more evil and at the same time more pathetic and loathsome version of 2019 Scar. The 1994 original, as charismatic-murderous as it was, was still cartoonish. The 2019 version is a cautionary tale of envy and existential despair (hate towards an older and more successful brother) and gluttony gone completely nihilistic, making the 2019 more Shakesperian (and darker) than the 1994 one.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
And I personally prefer the more evil and at the same time more pathetic and loathsome version of 2019 Scar. The 1994 original, as charismatic as it was, was a random villian character that just wanted to seize and mantain power through hyenas. The 2019 version is a cautionary tale of envy and existential despair (hate towards an older and more successful brother) and gluttony gone completely nihilistic.

Agreed. Cartoon scar was a fun villain, this one felt darker and more realistic. Not to everybody's taste which I understand but I really liked him.

I also honestly enjoyed 'be prepared' too because it felt darker. They basically turned it from a musical number to a speech though, so I understand why some are irritated by it.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Agreed. Cartoon scar was a fun villain, this one felt darker and more realistic. Not to everybody's taste which I understand but I really liked him.

I also honestly enjoyed 'be prepared' too because it felt darker. They basically turned it from a musical number to a speech though, so I understand why some are irritated by it.
People are judging the nature of the film (a live action re-telling, not even a remake), not the quality of the film itself. Some people just hate the fact that this was done. Right from the start they hate its mere existence. It's a GOOD film IMO, especially for the "live action animals" genre.

Yes, "Be Prepared" felt darker and more realistic. Did people really expect a "live action" version of the Nazi parade? Ha! No way. And I personally prefer the "two voices-male and female" version of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight". Feels more natural than Elton John's voice suddenly jumping into the film. The final fight of Simba and Scar pumped me up.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
People are judging the nature of the film (a live action re-telling, not even a remake), not the quality of the film itself. Some people just hate the fact that this was done. Right from the start they hate its mere existence. It's a GOOD film IMO, especially for the "live action animals" genre.

Yes, "Be Prepared" felt darker and more realistic. Did people really expect a "live action" version of the Nazi parade? Ha! No way. And I personally prefer the "two voices-male and female" version of "Can You Feel the Love Tonight". Feels more natural than Elton John's voice suddenly jumping into the film. The final fight of Simba and Scar pumped me up.
Agreed. I do still prefer the animation and think it's best suited to that format (the lions in this just can't display emotion .. it's an issue) but I still came out of the film happy to have paid the money and having enjoyed myself. The comedy in particular I think was absolutely dead on, and obviously it's visually just incredible. There's a lot going for the film in general, it's not a masterpiece and has flaws but it's better than 99% of the shit that hits the cinema. People get a tad too sensitive when it comes to their childhood classics .. the original is still there, it's not ruined by this.

Agreed. It felt like there was definitely a more adult approach to Scar as a character. And whilst Jeremy Irons did a fantastic job, I do genuinely think that his replacement was fantastic, listening to the 'be prepared' speech he really does capture this bitter, entitled and jealous character really well. It's obviously totally different to scar dancing all over the place and tossing back his mane, but shit this new scar was intimidating and genuinely vile.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Agreed. I do still prefer the animation and think it's best suited to that format (the lions in this just can't display emotion .. it's an issue) but I still came out of the film happy to have paid the money and having enjoyed myself. The comedy in particular I think was absolutely dead on, and obviously it's visually just incredible. There's a lot going for the film in general, it's not a masterpiece and has flaws but it's better than 99% of the shit that hits the cinema. People get a tad too sensitive when it comes to their childhood classics .. the original is still there, it's not ruined by this.

Agreed. It felt like there was definitely a more adult approach to Scar as a character. And whilst Jeremy Irons did a fantastic job, I do genuinely think that his replacement was fantastic, listening to the 'be prepared' speech he really does capture this bitter, entitled and jealous character really well. It's obviously totally different to scar dancing all over the place and tossing back his mane, but shit this new scar was intimidating and genuinely vile.
Yes. Definitely mad by the time Simba returns. Just emptiness and rage fueled by gluttony and envy even with Mufasa dead and gone. Closer to Macbeth than King Claudius (of Hamlet) even. Hamlet fighting Macbeth.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Yes. Definitely mad by the time Simba returns. Just emptiness and rage fueled by gluttony and envy even with Mufasa dead and gone. Closer to MacBbeth than King Claudius (of Hamlet) even. Hamlet figthing Macbeth.
Yeah and I do think the film does a good job of showing how scar ended up this way.

Mufasa is everything he's not (regal, physically imposing) and all of Scar's assets aren't valued in that society. He's living in a cave completely overshadowed by his older brother and he's powerless to do anything about it. His brother gets the crown, the girl .. everything.

Then along comes Mufasa's kid, and he's expected to be first in line to celebrate it. And the kid is a bit of a spoiled brat, flaunting the fact he's going to be king. It's no wonder scar ends up bitter and twisted!

Looking a bit too much in to a lion here :lol:, but I do genuinely think he's a really great villain in both movies, but in particular the live action style one he hits that balance of not being evil for the sake of it but a character you can understand, whilst also having genuine fear factor.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Yeah and I do think the film does a good job of showing how scar ended up this way.

Mufasa is everything he's not (regal, physically imposing) and all of Scar's assets aren't valued in that society. He's living in a cave completely overshadowed by his older brother and he's powerless to do anything about it. His brother gets the crown, the girl .. everything.

Then along comes Mufasa's kid, and he's expected to be first in line to celebrate it. And the kid is a bit of a spoiled brat, flaunting the fact he's going to be king. It's no wonder scar ends up bitter and twisted!

Looking a bit too much in to a lion here :lol:, but I do genuinely think he's a really great villain in both movies, but in particular the live action style one he hits that balance of not being evil for the sake of it but a character you can understand, whilst also having genuine fear factor.
Ah, but they are basically human characters in a lion suit ;)
Yes, Scar is my favourite character of the TLK films. A good villian is the one you wanna see failing at the very end while being able to understand his/her actions/motives/anxieties.

Sylar

Good post , mainly cos I agree with it. But the part about childhood classics especially, it hasn't erased that or stopped people from accessing it