Film Lion king - live action adaptation

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Looking forward to this. Good cast too.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Having seen Jungle Book (which was surprisingly good...or, you know, good enough) I kinda know exactly what to expect from this. So I'm far more interested in the potential hot messes of Tim Burton's Dumbo and Guy Richie's Aladdin...

I mean, just imagine Will Smith's inevitably awful rap in Friend Like Me! Directed by the guy who made Lock Stock!! How is that not going to be a big glorious firey ball of hilarious atrocity!!?

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
Having seen Jungle Book (which was surprisingly good...or, you know, good enough) I kinda know exactly what to expect from this. So I'm far more interested in the potential hot messes of Tim Burton's Dumbo and Guy Richie's Aladdin...

I mean, just imagine Will Smith's inevitably awful rap in Friend Like Me! Directed by the guy who made Lock Stock!! How is that not going to be a big glorious firey ball of hilarious atrocity!!?
Aladdin sounds mental but Ritchie’s big budget films are always unspeakably dull.

CGI still isn’t there for a film like this. It’ll make billions.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Set deep in the uncanny valley.

RedTiger

Half mast

I actually cried during the Dumbo trailer. I reckon its gonna be pretty emotional.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Oh I am excited, can't wait to get traumatised by Mufasa's death alllllllllll over again :drool:

Jev

The previous films have been so faithful to the originals that I struggle to see the point with these live-action remakes. I think it would be way more interesting with a newer, more modern take on the originals, as I expect/hope Guy Ritchie's Aladdin will be.

That said, The Lion King is my favourite animated Disney film and the trailer looks beautiful so I'm looking forward to this one.

Looking even more forward to Pinocchio, though, for some reason that idea piques my interest.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I thought live action meant real animals. I wondered how they were going to train that many.
:lol: That'd be cool.
Oh I am excited, can't wait to get traumatised by Mufasa's death alllllllllll over again :drool:
Even seeing the wildebeest in the trailer was horrifying.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Right in the childhood!
My girl & I both enjoyed the junglebook a lot.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Even seeing the wildebeest in the trailer was horrifying.
I got goosebumps as soon as I heard his voice, and when he mentioned the 'sunrise & sunset' of being King I nearly teared up :(

Siorac

The original still holds up so what exactly is the point? Showing off CGI?

Will this whole 'nostalgia boom' ever die down, I wonder.

Sylar

Its obviously for money, thats the reason.

But Jungle Book was great. They dont need to change the story (although I think the JB one was changed for the better in terms of the slight ones they did). The musical keeps the same story too and is fantastic despite knowing what will happen. I think this will be great.

Dumbo seems more focused on the people than the elephants so not sure how that will come off.
Cinderella was a good watch too. I quite liked Beauty and the Beast too.

Can't wait! I loved the remake of the Jungle Book hopefully this is just as good.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Thought Jungle Book was ok but not great. I wasn't a huge fan of the original but loved the songs and the live action didn't have enough of those.

Beauty & The Beast however, was an abomination along with others like Tarzan and Snow White so I'm not holding my breath on any of these new ones being good.

They better not feck up Mulan :mad:

Rooney1987

Its obviously for money, thats the reason.

But Jungle Book was great. They dont need to change the story (although I think the JB one was changed for the better in terms of the slight ones they did). The musical keeps the same story too and is fantastic despite knowing what will happen. I think this will be great.

Dumbo seems more focused on the people than the elephants so not sure how that will come off.
Cinderella was a good watch too. I quite liked Beauty and the Beast too.
The original Dumbo is not a good film imo and as we all know little racist. I think they have to move away from the cartoon. Problem for me is Tim Burton, not exactly been on top form recently. The trailer looks promising though.

I'm interested to see how the animals look when talking and the songs. Really interested to see how they use the music.

2019 is gonna make Disney so much cash. From December to December you have Mary Poppins Returns, Dumbo, Aladdin, Lion King live action, Avenegers 4, Star Wars Ep 9, Captain Marvel, Frozen 2, Toy Story 4 and there adapting the Artemis Fowl book too. Looking at potential 10 billion at the box with these films alone.

Smores

Looks great but it's no detective pikachu is it!

Seriously though anyone who isn't excited by this even a little must be dead inside

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Aladdin sounds mental but Ritchie’s big budget films are always unspeakably dull.

CGI still isn’t there for a film like this. It’ll make billions.
Yeah, but....Will Smith is the Genie! Just think about that! Is he gonna be blue!? Is he not? Is he gonna be wearing Hammer parachute pants!? Is he gonna make updated improvised early 00s pop culture references to camera? Is he gonna rap during all the big songs? (of course he is!)... If Mr Madge can’t make that hot mess at least entertainingly bad, then he’s surely some kind of villainous anti-film genius.

I actually cried during the Dumbo trailer. I reckon its gonna be pretty emotional.
Baby Mine is a classic tearjerker, sure...But the original film has an insane non-plot and a song where basically slaves sing about loving their work and how they’d only spend money on booze anyway... and the only other memorable numbers are sung by an athropomorphic living train and some racist crows..

So I’m guessing the chances of a faithful adaptation are low.

Last edited:
Thought Jungle Book was ok but not great. I wasn't a huge fan of the original but loved the songs and the live action didn't have enough of those.

Beauty & The Beast however, was an abomination along with others like Tarzan and Snow White so I'm not holding my breath on any of these new ones being good.

They better not feck up Mulan :mad:
Omg I love Mulan are they remaking that as well?

NinjaFletch

Call me dead inside, but I just can't understand the desire to watch a film everyone has already seen about 47 times tarted up and made CGI rather than animation.

Is there really no desire to see new things these days?

Smores

Call me dead inside, but I just can't understand the desire to watch a film everyone has already seen about 47 times tarted up and made CGI rather than animation.

You can do both no? It's what 2 hours max hardly a life commitment

As you say people watch movies repeatedly so a new take is better than repeated viewings

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Nostalgia money is easy money.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout

I absolutely love the original Lion King, just hearing a few second of music from it brings ridiculous amounts of memories flooding back, but this does nothing for me at all.

Doesn't help that I don't like CGI I guess.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I think a huge amount of charm will be lost with super realistic CGI.

Imagine all the fun facial animation in that done with CGI. Uncanny valley overload.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
There'll be a live action remake of Toy Story in ten years.

Kag

The lack of Jeremy Irons is mildly irritating. His voice work in the original is probably the best there’s ever been in a Disney animation.