Film Lion king - live action adaptation

0le

What does live action actually mean? Is it just CGI in a real life setting rather than pure animation?

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
What does live action actually mean? Is it just CGI in a real life setting rather than pure animation?
Live action means what it sounds like, this isn't live action despite a lot of people labelling it as such.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!

Official Trailer, as expected looks fantastic. Going to be major feels watching this, Mufasa :(

Sylar

Its amazing what technology can do and how fantastic this looks.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yeah they must have digitally edited out the leashes on those cats that they filmed otherwise they would have walked out of shot a lot.

vodrake

Looks fantastic.

My only issue based on the trailer is, with this and Aladdin, that they seem to be going for more grounded performances with their villains rather than the scenery chewing, hammy performances of Scar and Jafar that we've grown up with.

I'm sure it'll be fine, but it just feels...wrong somehow

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Looks fantastic.

My only issue based on the trailer is, with this and Aladdin, that they seem to be going for more grounded performances with their villains rather than the scenery chewing, hammy performances of Scar and Jafar that we've grown up with.

Can't possibly tell that from just a trailer?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Looks fantastic.

I reckon Chiwetel Ejiofor will do a great job as Scar

vodrake

Can't possibly tell that from just a trailer?
Of course, it could very well be in the actual film their performances are as over the top cartoon villainy as you'd expect, it's just that the line deliveries in the trailers feel fairly restrained to me in comparison to the originals.

Could well just be that the actors are different though.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Good time to be a Disney exec.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I reckon Chiwetel Ejiofor will do a great job as Scar
Not convinced by the voice, his voice is just missing the gravitas that we're used to with Scar and his voice just sounds tamer to the point where it takes away from the feeling, but can't really judge it from a couple lines so will wait to see the movie. The trailer looks excellent overall.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not enthused at all. Unless they're going to do something a least a bit different then the remake is a pointless cash grab. Bah humbug says I.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Don't like the look personally. Same with The Jungle Book film and the upcoming Aladdin. The live action/CGI just doesn't fit these films for me.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
It looks like Nation Geographic Documentary with Lion King dialogue dubbed over... but, cool, I guess?

Renegade

Did jungle book adaptation have any changes to the storyline? This looks like a scene by scene copy with 0 changes.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Remember that thing you liked as a kid?

Remember how happy it made you?

Here's that exact same thing again.

Give us your money, have that thing you like again. It'll make you happy.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Did jungle book adaptation have any changes to the storyline? This looks like a scene by scene copy with 0 changes.
There were a few changes, mostly having Shere Khan be more prominent from the start and giving him a backstory that meant there was more of a revenge vibe between him and Mowgli.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I see people on the interwebs complain about this being a needless remake, then I wonder how many of them love The Departed... then my brain explodes.

kps88

This is very much a needless remake devised by a large corporation to prey on our nostalgia but that doesn't mean we can't still enjoy it. It'll be a nice comfort watch.

Raw

I mean graphically it looks incredible. A lot of work has been put into this to make it look so realistic, not just the models but the little bits of animation to really bring them to life.

But...why? Why sacrifice colourful imagery, expressive characters and memorable scenes for a realistic adaptation that will fail to capture any of that? I mean look at the clip of Scar telling Simba to leave and never come back. Simba should be in a state of shock and sadness after just watching his father pass away, but he looks just like any other scene he's in because animals don't show facial expressions. Another good example are the clips of Simba growing up during Hakuna Matata, just devoid of any characterisation.

I'm sure the voice acting will be good (though the new Scar sounds so bland, Jeremy Irons should have been brought back), but again how will it look on realistic animals? I've noticed the trailer didn't really show much of the animals "lip synced" to the voices, maybe it's not ready yet or maybe it just looks weird? And how will the songs look? The original had some immense visuals with their songs, and I doubt this remake will reach those heights. Also, no Be Prepared is a travesty!

I'm sure the movie itself will be fine, but I highly doubt this movie will be as well remembered as the original. Disney are still going to make over a billion on it though, and that's all they care about in the end.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It doesn't need changes. Lion King is perfect.

Which would imply that we don't even this but I'm still not watch and hopefully enjoy myself silly.

Smores

This is very much a needless remake devised by a large corporation to prey on our nostalgia but that doesn't mean we can't still enjoy it. It'll be a nice comfort watch.
Have you not identified a need in your own post there? It's clearly got a market so how can it be needless?

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Looks good but I honestly do not see the point. The Lion King is an absolute classic - why does it need updated?

Raw

Looks good but I honestly do not see the point. The Lion King is an absolute classic - why does it need updated?
It's only because Disney knows they'll make a lot of money on it, they know people will watch it because of nostalgia. Hence why they're pumping out all these live action Disney movies. Beauty and the Beast was a major success, yet it's pretty much forgotten about now. I think Dumbo made a lot of money too. Then there's Lion King, Aladdin, Mulan, etc. With that plus the Avengers movies, Disney are about to make a fecking shit load of money, even more than they do now.

kps88

Have you not identified a need in your own post there? It's clearly got a market so how can it be needless?
Yeah you're right. I suppose it's needless from an artistic or creative point of view but not from a business point of view.

Mockney

My biggest issue with this is that, with the exception of the little tag at the end, it doesn’t look fun... like, at all.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
My biggest issue with this is that, with the exception of the little tag at the end, it doesn’t look fun... like, at all.
It's Lion King. Unless try to be too clever/different, it'll be fun.

Mockney

It's Lion King. Unless try to be too clever/different, it'll be fun.
My point was more that it looks drab, washed out and more like an Animal Planet doc than a fun, vibrant cartoon for kids, with expressive anthropomorphic animals and silly songs. I don’t really see the point in a down to earth, photorealistic remake of the fecking Lion King! personally...

I mean...

It’ll definitely be good, or at least watchable, because Favreau is a very good film maker and the voice cast is excellent, but it doesn’t strike me as very interesting, or remotely in keeping with the actual appeal of the original (which was for kids, remember) as much as a technical excersize aimed at nostalgic adults...

At least Aladdin looks colourful and silly. It’s a Disney film.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Agreed. I couldn’t really make out the personalities of any of the animals.. there was zero cute factor. Think they needed to dial it down on the realism aspect and make it more Toy storyish.