Lionel Messi’s Obscene Contract

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Exactly, you see I named myself as RedRonaldo, when Ronaldo has just made his debut here. I was Man Utd supporters long before that, during Hughes/Cantona era and class of 92. But Ronaldo was something else, he was a very special talent from his very first day here.
What about when ronaldo dies from football?

Redfrog

Perez bitching about TV rights not being enough, and how kids don't watch football on TV any more, is the biggest pile of horseshit to come from anyone ever. Of course they don't watch football on TV. What parents can afford to pay 8-900 pounds a year for their kids to watch football?

News reports from May this year said that watching the next premier league season is gonna cost about 8 times what Netflix/HBO/etc cost per month here in Norway (around 75 pounds a month). The reason is the TV rights cost THAT much more to buy from the clubs compared to last year. A 40% increase for the second year in a row. Poor Perez (and his like minded buddies) making only 40% more on his already multi billion dollar business, and wonder why regular people don't wanna pay for it..

And we're here bitching about the players beeing greedy - as if any of you wouldn't be grabbing what ever you could in the same market. Would you rather all that extra money that flow into this business every year just drops into the pockets of people like Perez instead? The real issue in football isn't the wages, the wages is just one of many issues that stem from the real issues.
Spot on. They are all crying to make the poor guys bleed, as always. If next year I had to pay more to watch, I just won’t. I’ll do something else and that will be probably better for my mind and my body.
Perez wants kids to watch football while eating chips instead of playing it !

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
And he would be justified in saying "It is a shame that you can not afford my wages, all the best in the future."
And who exactly else is going to pay them? How are we now suddenly talking about these ridiculous amounts as if they're somehow 'market value' instead of insane nonsense?

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
And who exactly else is going to pay them? How are we now suddenly talking about these ridiculous amounts as if they're somehow 'market value' instead of insane nonsense?
PSG, City.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Not going to lie, I'm glad Barca and Real are fecked. They were a huge part of the reason why transfer fees went insane in the first place, and they've acted like they're somehow the Kings of football who can sign anyone they want and not have to worry about things like paying the bills. Feck them both quite frankly.

OverratedOpinion

Either of the state backed clubs for starters.

They are fair, he is the very best in an industry where players who are average get paid 100k per week. Do you believe the best chef in the world gets paid multiple times more than chefs who are middle of the road?

Fair in the context that money in football is batshit crazy obviously. There is a long line of people to blame for that before looking at Messi.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Messi benefits from playing with Barcelona, as much as the latter to the former. It's two way street. He wouldn't get that many Ballon d'Ors if playing for PSG or Juve, for example, as none had a midfield consist of Xavi and Iniesta.

prateik

***Spoilers from the Copa finals***

Not a contract talk, but there wasnt another Messi thread so asking here..

What next for him ? Barca are a mess.. He has won his international trophy.. Is he going to just stop giving a feck or is he competitive enough to keep trying his hardest with little or nothing to play for ?

I dont think he has that much left in him anyway.. wouldnt surprise me if he just coasted for a year and rest for the WC next year.

padr81

Supports
Man City
***Spoilers from the Copa finals***

Not a contract talk, but there wasnt another Messi thread so asking here..

What next for him ? Barca are a mess.. He has won his international trophy.. Is he going to just stop giving a feck or is he competitive enough to keep trying his hardest with little or nothing to play for ?

I dont think he has that much left in him anyway.. wouldnt surprise me if he just coasted for a year and rest for the WC next year.
Off to PSG, Neymar wasn't cuddling him for nothing.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Signs contract but can they actually register and play him?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
Signs contract but can they actually register and play him?
Well with the rumoured Saul/Greizmann deal, I am sure Barca are going to do something like declare a €100m+ profit which they'll then use against this years budget.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Well with the rumoured Saul/Greizmann deal, I am sure Barca are going to do something like declare a €100m+ profit which they'll then use against this years budget.
Griezmann was about €120m and got a 5 year contract. So in the books he'll probably still be worth €72m. So they would have to value Saul at around €72m to break even.

I mean, I know they already went crazy on the Pjanic and Arthur evaluation but surely there has to be some kind of controlling body that won't buy into this. If it wasn't they could just value both players at €1bn, give them a 10 year contract and be good, no? It's hard to imagine that they'll be making a profit on Griezmann.

Pretzels81

Not Salty…
It's happening. Eat your heart out, Tebas. Messi loves his club.

I can only laugh at those haters who claim this will finally bankrupt Barcelona (400 million in the next 5 years): Messi will generate the double or triple in revenue (tv rights, media, UCL QFs/semis guaranteed, exposure, merchandising, etc), and perhaps another (last?) UCL title.

PSG should now focus on stealing the best players from AC Milan and securing their corrupt friendship with Ceferin.

Last edited:

Zen

Well his last contract meant he was on quadruple that, so he was a couple of steps ahead of you.
An Athletic report suggested he’s on no way near that last week. The Saul swap would make little sense too if he was because Barca would still have to pay a massive chunk of his wages if they were truly 800k.

Still the world's highest earner.
Nah, it’ll almost certainly be Ronaldo now… for a year at least.

Zen

Griezmann was about €120m and got a 5 year contract. So in the books he'll probably still be worth €72m. So they would have to value Saul at around €72m to break even.

I mean, I know they already went crazy on the Pjanic and Arthur evaluation but surely there has to be some kind of controlling body that won't buy into this. If it wasn't they could just value both players at €1bn, give them a 10 year contract and be good, no? It's hard to imagine that they'll be making a profit on Griezmann.
This shit is more bent than when Italy just went bonkers with spending in the Euro boom of the early 00’s.

72m only covers what they have ‘left’ to pay his initial fee… how the initial 48m not a loss in their books? All a bit odd.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
It's happening. Eat your heart out, Tebas. Messi loves his club.

I can only laugh at those haters who claim this will finally bankrupt Barcelona (400 million in the next 5 years): Messi will generate the double or triple in revenue (tv rights, media, UCL QFs/semis guaranteed, exposure, merchandising, etc), and perhaps another (last?) UCL title.

PSG should now focus on stealing the best players from AC Milan and securing their corrupt friendship with Ceferin.
I bet you wrote this out one-handed.

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper

I was being a little sarcastic but one of the only ways Barca cap get their wage bill to work is through another dodgy money moving swap deal. I am sure that if this goes through their will be some insane figures banded about.

And, yes, you're right there should be some sort of oversight on it.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Good pay cut, alongside dumping griezmann’s contracts and signing depay and Aguero on a free Laporta has done a good job

HackeyC

This shit is more bent than when Italy just went bonkers with spending in the Euro boom of the early 00’s.

72m only covers what they have ‘left’ to pay his initial fee… how the initial 48m not a loss in their books? All a bit odd.
They have taken 24m per year through their p&l.

the_cliff

A lot of people in this thread are definitely ignorant to Barcelona, La Liga, Messi and their finances. That Messi deal is cheap when you consider the fact that he brings in 31% of Barcelona revenue. A lot of sponsors also have Messi clauses in their contracts with Barcelona meaning if Messi leaves they don't have to pay as much. There will also be issues with attendances and viewers and the fact that if Messi leaves La Liga the TV rights they would receive would be significantly less. It's sad but the truth is Barcelona/La Liga need Messi much more than he needs them.

This is a good article on how much Messi brings Barcelona which also explains why Barca despite the mess they are in are so hell bent on keeping him, even if half the squad needs to be sacrificed in order to do so.

https://everythingbarca.com/2021/02/05/lionel-messi-generates-barcelona/
https://tribuna.com/en/news/fcbarce...ncome-to-barca-since-2017-it-exceeds-leos-le/

Add to the fact that Messi has probably been offered a blank paycheque by PSG and City. He's probably doing Barca more of a favour than vice versa.

Reactions: Sultan

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
A lot of people in this thread are definitely ignorant to Barcelona, La Liga, Messi and their finances. That Messi deal is cheap when you consider the fact that he brings in 31% of Barcelona revenue. A lot of sponsors also have Messi clauses in their contracts with Barcelona meaning if Messi leaves they don't have to pay as much. There will also be issues with attendances and viewers and the fact that if Messi leaves La Liga the TV rights they would receive would be significantly less. It's sad but the truth is Barcelona/La Liga need Messi much more than he needs them.

This is a good article on how much Messi brings Barcelona which also explains why Barca despite the mess they are in are so hell bent on keeping him, even if half the squad needs to be sacrificed in order to do so.

https://everythingbarca.com/2021/02/05/lionel-messi-generates-barcelona/
https://tribuna.com/en/news/fcbarce...ncome-to-barca-since-2017-it-exceeds-leos-le/

Add to the fact that Messi has probably been offered a blank paycheque by PSG and City. He's probably doing Barca more of a favour than vice versa.
people will just tell you the revenue he brings in is rubbish, that he’s holding the club hostage, and that Barca will be bankrupt by Christmas

meanwhile Laporta is doing a hell of a job since taking over especially once griezmann’s wages are off the books.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Pay cut :lol:

Aye, of course Messi is going to still be playing at 39 years old.

He's clearly just gonna do another 2 years or something but get paid for 5 so his wages never actually got cut.