Lionel Messi’s Obscene Contract

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
A lot of people in this thread are definitely ignorant to Barcelona, La Liga, Messi and their finances. That Messi deal is cheap when you consider the fact that he brings in 31% of Barcelona revenue. A lot of sponsors also have Messi clauses in their contracts with Barcelona meaning if Messi leaves they don't have to pay as much. There will also be issues with attendances and viewers and the fact that if Messi leaves La Liga the TV rights they would receive would be significantly less. It's sad but the truth is Barcelona/La Liga need Messi much more than he needs them.

This is a good article on how much Messi brings Barcelona which also explains why Barca despite the mess they are in are so hell bent on keeping him, even if half the squad needs to be sacrificed in order to do so.

https://everythingbarca.com/2021/02/05/lionel-messi-generates-barcelona/
https://tribuna.com/en/news/fcbarce...ncome-to-barca-since-2017-it-exceeds-leos-le/

Add to the fact that Messi has probably been offered a blank paycheque by PSG and City. He's probably doing Barca more of a favour than vice versa.
This.
Barcelona definitely needs Messi for both commerical and sport reason for the next 2 seasons, but Messi doesn't necessarily need to stay in Barca to fight for trophies on all front. He is doing Barca a favor by staying and spread out the payment.

I don't understand why people are so insisted Messi to get a pay cut. Does he not justify his salary with his performance and output? If there are players need to get pay cut the first two would be Rashford and Martial. One is on 200k a week another one is 250k. That is daylight robbery.

Morty_

Supports
Real Madrid
people will just tell you the revenue he brings in is rubbish, that he’s holding the club hostage, and that Barca will be bankrupt by Christmas

meanwhile Laporta is doing a hell of a job since taking over especially once griezmann’s wages are off the books.
Its not that, its that we dont neccessarily buy that he is bringing in that amount of revenue on his own, its tied to the club.

Look at it this way, whenever the biggest star leaves a big club, does the club just go under? No, of course not, they are huge brand in themselves, Barcelona will be making tons of money without Messi, is my guess.

VanKenny

A lot of people in this thread are definitely ignorant to Barcelona, La Liga, Messi and their finances. That Messi deal is cheap when you consider the fact that he brings in 31% of Barcelona revenue. A lot of sponsors also have Messi clauses in their contracts with Barcelona meaning if Messi leaves they don't have to pay as much. There will also be issues with attendances and viewers and the fact that if Messi leaves La Liga the TV rights they would receive would be significantly less. It's sad but the truth is Barcelona/La Liga need Messi much more than he needs them.

This is a good article on how much Messi brings Barcelona which also explains why Barca despite the mess they are in are so hell bent on keeping him, even if half the squad needs to be sacrificed in order to do so.

https://tribuna.com/en/news/fcbarce...ncome-to-barca-since-2017-it-exceeds-leos-le/

Add to the fact that Messi has probably been offered a blank paycheque by PSG and City. He's probably doing Barca more of a favour than vice versa.
Have been posted ITT plenty of times before. Some people just cant put 2 and 2 together.

Why would Barcelona refuse to let Messi go last year to City/PSG even when he publicly stated that he wanted out? Could have gotten a nice sum of money for him on top of getting rid of his supposedly unaffordable wages, so would have been killing two birds with one stone but no... by some mysterious reason, they decided to keep Evil Messi. They were even willing to take him to court.

I think people that cant aknowledge this are just trolling TBH, which is fine, to each their own. Just hope he signs soon, cant have him joining any other team, any hopes of Barca winning anything falls on his feet.

UncleBob

:lol:

Jacob22

A lot of people at this point are just blind hating anything that is Barcelona/Messi and trying to negatively spin any little thing to fit their case without knowing half of the story.
The bottom line is that Messi loves Barcelona and worth every penny that he's getting paid.

What's funny about that? I would even say that this number is low

Amarsdd

I'm not sure how Barcelona will deal with a 31% loss in revenue when Messi eventually retires..

the_cliff

This.
Barcelona definitely needs Messi for both commerical and sport reason for the next 2 seasons, but Messi doesn't necessarily need to stay in Barca to fight for trophies on all front. He is doing Barca a favor by staying and spread out the payment.

I don't understand why people are so insisted Messi to get a pay cut. Does he not justify his salary with his performance and output? If there are players need to get pay cut the first two would be Rashford and Martial. One is on 200k a week another one is 250k. That is daylight robbery.
People in here would have you believe Messi is holding Laporta at gunpoint saying pay me and get rid of half the squad. If his absence at Barcelona and La Liga won't be felt financially why don't they just let him go then ? Messi can go get paid more at an oil club, Barca and La Liga will still be paid. It's a win-win isn't it?
Why did Barca and La Liga (yes, La Liga got involved) force him to stay when he wanted out last summer. I mean Messi is the one holding the club for ransom right ?

I mean there have been reports in Spain of other La Liga clubs offering to pay part of Messi's Contract.

I guess Laporta, the Barca board and La Liga representatives know less than posters on the caf.

UncleBob

People in here would have you believe Messi is holding Laporta at gunpoint saying pay me and get rid of half the squad. If his absence at Barcelona and La Liga won't be felt financially why don't they just let him go then ? Messi can go get paid more at an oil club, Barca and La Liga will still be paid. It's a win-win isn't it?
Why did Barca and La Liga (yes, La Liga got involved) force him to stay when he wanted out last summer. I mean Messi is the one holding the club for ransom right ?

I mean there have been reports in Spain of other La Liga clubs offering to pay part of Messi's Contract.

I guess Laporta, the Barca board and La Liga representatives know less than posters on the caf.
:lol:

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I'm not sure how Barcelona will deal with a 31% loss in revenue when Messi eventually retires..
Summer 2026 - "Messi signs new 9 year contract, with a 50% pay cut, despite not playing a minute of football in almost 3 years."

UncleBob

You have to have a certain amount of hate for Barcelona to convince yourself that their revenue would dive by 30% if Messi fecked off.

UncleBob

A lot of people at this point are just blind hating anything that is Barcelona/Messi and trying to negatively spin any little thing to fit their case without knowing half of the story.
The bottom line is that Messi loves Barcelona and worth every penny that he's getting paid.

What's funny about that? I would even say that this number is low
How low would you say the number is?
Essentially, Barcelonas revenue would be surpassed by Tottenham and Arsenal

Nights

You have to have a certain amount of hate for Barcelona to convince yourself that their revenue would dive by 30% if Messi fecked off.
Not according to all the Barca fans on here who are all convinced that his salary is worthwhile because “he brings in more than he costs”.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
It's happening. Eat your heart out, Tebas. Messi loves his club.

I can only laugh at those haters who claim this will finally bankrupt Barcelona (400 million in the next 5 years): Messi will generate the double or triple in revenue (tv rights, media, UCL QFs/semis guaranteed, exposure, merchandising, etc), and perhaps another (last?) UCL title.

PSG should now focus on stealing the best players from AC Milan and securing their corrupt friendship with Ceferin.
Your post was a brilliant laugh thank you. Barca have just committed a gargantuan amount of money to an aging, depreciating asset. He won’t see out his contract and he’ll take the full value of it, so he won’t even get a pay cut in real terms. The are even going to pay him more next year than this coming year because they can’t afford to pay it all this year. They are kicking the can down the road in typical Barcelona style and shaping up for another crisis. The biggest pay days of this contract will be as he is 36/37 years of age. Madness.

Barca need to restructure their business, plain

The 31% is an indirect number, it’s very hard to attribute direct numbers and they can be manipulated as required to fit the narrative. Which is what Barca do over and over. Barca need to restructure their finances and deals to reflect a post Messi world because he’s going to retire sooner rather than later anyway. It doesn’t make sense to commit another 500m to this aging asset. What a shambles of a club.

Winrar

Barca are gonna have to let him go eventually regardless of how much revenue he brings, so I can't imagine how they're gonna handle this issue once he's gone and/or falls off several more levels.

I'm not exactly going to say I'm worried, but Barca and Messi have been pretty much two peas in a pod for most of the time I followed football so seeing how a "Messi-less" Barca is something that piques my curiosity a little.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Half the wages but twice the length of the initial contract offer is a huge win for him. Much better than twice the money and half the length.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Half the wages but twice the length of the initial contract offer is a huge win for him. Much better than twice the money and half the length.
Is it? They’ll likely be paying him for two to three years 1.2m a week to not even play. Seems like an atrocious deal and indicative of the mental thinking at Barca which has them effectively bankrupt.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Is it? They’ll likely be paying him for two to three years 1.2m a week to not even play. Seems like an atrocious deal and indicative of the mental thinking at Barca which has them effectively bankrupt.
Yes, for him. He's got the better end of that bargain by quite a distance.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
If he goes to MLS I have a hard time believing they’ll still be paying his wages.

Anduin

Do I miss something here or why would he not be of any worth to Barca in his 3rd, 4th and 5th contract year? Messi was the best player in La Liga last season and had it not been for a hilariously bad defence, they would have mounted one of the best comebacks in a while, mainly thanks to him. Even if he declines significantly, he will still be Barca’s best player. I would imagine he will overpaid when he eventually declines, but he will still contribute a lot over the course of a season. I can only see winners here, as long as fans are allowed back in the stadiums and Barca can regain most of their revenue. It’s a gamble, but it will pay off for the club IMHO.

Tallis

Would be fun to face Barca in the CL so we can give them some payback for the 2 finals. Would love to see Sancho and Rash ripping them apart. It will be sweeter with Messi in the team

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would be fun to face Barca in the CL so we can give them some payback for the 2 finals. Would love to see Sancho and Rash ripping them apart. It will be sweeter with Messi in the team
Would only truly be payback if we actually win the competition. Beating them like we beat PSG is no real payback.

RedDevil@84

So when Messi leaves the club, Barca revenue is down by 31% or more. Barca are done.

The most exiting thing about this thread will be in 3 years time, when Messi’s been gone for a season and Barça somehow haven’t had 31% slashed from their revenue :lol:

Bookmarked for Summer 2024. Although the gullible sods will be 3 years older by then so have probably worked out a little more about how the World works and how silly they were to believe such clear PR drivel.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
A lot of people in this thread are definitely ignorant to Barcelona, La Liga, Messi and their finances. That Messi deal is cheap when you consider the fact that he brings in 31% of Barcelona revenue
Messi does not bring in 31% of Barcelona's revenues. We've gone over this a million times already. It's a completely absurd and preposterous number that doesn't pass any basic logic and is supported by very little evidence.

NotThatSoph

This shit is more bent than when Italy just went bonkers with spending in the Euro boom of the early 00’s.

72m only covers what they have ‘left’ to pay his initial fee… how the initial 48m not a loss in their books? All a bit odd.
Swap deals like Arthur/Pjanic might be a scam, but general ammortization isn't.

When you buy a player for 120m you haven't lost 120m, you have bought an asset worth 120m. It's like if you buy a house worth 500k, it's not a loss. However, assets lose value over time.

If Griezmann was bought at 120m and given a contract for five years, then his initial book value will be the 120m he cost, and he'll lose 24m worth of value each year. Naturally at the end of the contract his value will be 0. He has been at Barcelona for two seasons, so his book value is now 72m, i.e. they have lost 48m of the 120m they originally paid and own an asset worth 72m. If they sell Griezmann this window they lose 72m and gain whatever sum they get. If that sum is above 72m then their books improve, if it's below they lose further on the 48m that already have been recorded as a loss (24m after the first year, 24m more after the second).

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
A few days ago I actually watched the video of the analyst who makes the claims about Messi bringing in 30% of total revenue and so forth. It's a guy called Marc Ciria. The original claim and the video is here.

Here's what he does in the video. He counts the amount of goals Messi scores per season. Then he subtracts those goals from Barcelona's total goal tally. He then says that, having subtracted those goals, Barcelona would end up x spots behind on the table and z levels behind on CL advancement. He then takes the difference between what they currently make and what they would make if they ended up in 10th or whatever, and says Messi is responsible for this revenue.

It doesn't take a genius to see that this doesn't hold up in any way. It dramatically overstates the effect of attacking players, it overstates the effect of goals by assuming that you can just subtract them while holding everything else constant, and it compares the player against an absurd baseline of zero. It's the most rudimentary bird-brained analysis you could think of.

The analysis in question was advertised and released a few days after Messi's insane contract was leaked to the Spanish press. It's not a real analysis, it's just marketing and propaganda for the club. Somebody was asked to write up some nonsense so they could plaster it on Sport and make Messi look less bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: harms

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Turns out he hasn't really taken a pay cut.
He hasnt?

A few days ago I actually watched the video of the analyst who makes the claims about Messi bringing in 30% of total revenue and so forth. It's a guy called Marc Ciria. The original claim and the video is here.

Here's what he does in the video. He counts the amount of goals Messi scores per season. Then he subtracts those goals from Barcelona's total goal tally. He then says that, having subtracted those goals, Barcelona would end up x spots behind on the table and z levels behind on CL advancement. He then takes the difference between what they currently make and what they would make if they ended up in 10th or whatever, and says Messi is responsible for this revenue.

It doesn't take a genius to see that this doesn't hold up in any way. It dramatically overstates the effect of attacking players, it overstates the effect of goals by assuming that you can just subtract them while holding everything else constant, and it compares the player against an absurd baseline of zero. It's the most rudimentary bird-brained analysis you could think of.

The analysis in question was advertised and released a few days after Messi's insane contract was leaked to the Spanish press. It's not a real analysis, it's just marketing and propaganda for the club.
Of course it's a spin. They want to keep so are trying to portray it positively as clubs usually do with their affairs.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Its a shame we dont get to see him at another club despite his age. Atrocious planning by Barca though. Unless they have a golden generation in the academy they are screwed.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC

The analysis in question was advertised and released a few days after Messi's insane contract was leaked to the Spanish press. It's not a real analysis, it's just marketing and propaganda for the club. Somebody was asked to write up some nonsense so they could plaster it on Sport and make Messi look less bad.
That's hilarious to be fair :lol:

It's some kind of study Trump would have proudly presented.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Its a shame we dont get to see him at another club despite his age. Atrocious planning by Barca though. Unless they have a golden generation in the academy they are screwed.
He will leave in two years. The way the contract is designed. He can break it in two years but will still be paid for the five, regardless.

Revan

Assumptionman
This will never die.
It is the new 'Madrid got more money from Beckham/Ronaldo/insert_X_player_name by selling shirts than his transfer fee'.

In other words, total and utter bullshit.

For people who insist that Messi brings 31% of Barca's revenue, they need to check how much negatively Madrid got affected when an even bigger superstar (more followers, marketing deals etc) left Madrid. The answer is, 'not that much' and definitely not 31%.