Lionel Messi Has No Intention Of Renewing Paris Saint Germain Contract - Reports

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
I don't understand why Barca would stall their rebuild for aging Messi, Lewandowski is not getting younger either.

They don't really need Messi to get domestic results either, all this does is making their attack more predictable, sounds like an emotional decision by Barca(if it happens).
The emotional factor is one of the main reasons. Xavi, it seems, also wants him to play behind Lewandowski and engage with the attack.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Is he going to play for free or you are gonna self half the team which might be needed anyways?
I don't have any insights into barca's books, so I can't answer. That's why I wrote "Let's see".
Also you might find this shocking, but he doesn't need to play for free because no player does. He just needs to lower his demands to a healthy figure if he really wants to return. There are also some possibilities to ease the ffp. Find sponsors personally for Messi or give him a longer contract with a low base salary, which turns into an ambassador contract after 2 years so he continues to get payed after his career when barca is financially speaking in better health.
That's now the job of Laporta and Alemany to figure out how much Messi is willing to reduce his demands to return and what barca can offer. We fans have to wait and see.

Xavi, it seems, also wants him to play behind Lewandowski and engage with the attack.
The idea of Messi feeding Lewy is not a bad one. :drool:
It could be something like this:

-----------Lewy
Gavi - Messi - Dembele
-----Pedri - Frenkie

or just the usual 433:

Dembele - Lewy - Messi
---------- Pedri - Gavi
-------------- Frenkie

Last edited:

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
I don't have any insights into barca's books, so I can't answer. That's why I wrote "Let's see".
Also you might find this shocking, but he doesn't need to play for free because no player does. He just needs to lower his demands to a healthy figure if he really wants to return. There are also some possibilities to ease the ffp. Find sponsors personally for Messi or give him a longer contract with a low base salary, which turns into an ambassador contract after 2 years so he continues to get payed after his career when barca is financially speaking in better health.
That's now the job of Laporta and Alemany to figure out how much Messi is willing to reduce his demands to return and what barca can offer. We fans have to wait and see.

The idea of Messi feeding Lewy is not a bad one. :drool:
It could be something like this:

-----------Lewy
Gavi - Messi - Dembele
-----Pedri - Frenkie
I think he will play most of the time with a fourth midfielder playing on the left wing, as Gavi does right now.

In the games against weaker opponents I think Xavi will play with 2 wingers.

A few days ago there was talk that Barcelona would pay him €10M + a percentage in new sponsors.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I don't think he would have a good time in Barca unless they really change how they play at this point. It could be an emotional decision though. Would be cool if he did go to Al Hilal or something.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I don't think he will flop per say but he won't give then the big prize that would really make the return a success - UCL

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
I don't think he will flop per say but he won't give then the big prize that would really make the return a success - UCL
Barca would not expect from a 35/36 year old Messi the UCL trophy. As some already wrote, the first reason is an emotional one. As barca's vice president said a few days ago: "A good story needs a good ending." After the successful WC, all he needs to do is to retire where he started and he will have the absolute perfect fairytale career from start to finish.
And the second reason is still his huge public attention as we saw during the WC. What barca desperatly needs right now is some good publicity. Since covid, it feels like 80-90% of all barca related articles are negative ones and that can't be healthy long term. Messi still has millions of fans around the globe and a return would definetly generate a huge worldwide hype for emotional reasons.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Barca would not expect from a 35/36 year old Messi the UCL trophy. As some already wrote, the first reason is an emotional one. As barca's vice president said a few days ago: "A good story needs a good ending." After the successful WC, all he needs to do is to retire where he started and he will have the absolute perfect fairytale career from start to finish.
And the second reason is still his huge public attention as we saw during the WC. What barca desperatly needs right now is some good publicity. Since covid, it feels like 80-90% of all barca related articles are negative ones and that can't be healthy long term. Messi still has millions of fans around the globe and a return would definetly generate a huge worldwide hype for emotional reasons.
I'm not a Barca fan so I'm not the best judge of this but if he retires at Barca then I can see it being a nice romantic ending. But if he returns and stays for two seasons winning just the league once or twice and leaves to America or South Africa, I'd find that quite underwhelming. Although Barca fans probably won't feel that way and their feelings are more important than mine in this case

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
It is rumored Barca will offload Raphina and Anssumane Fati to fund the transfer

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
€400m/y......absolutely disgusting in my opinion.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Move on ffs. This would be an idiotic move, the latest in the current series

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Why? It is not your tax money. It will be insane not to take the offer in my opinion.
It's all our money. But that is another story for another thread.
It would be indeed insane not to take that offer, if it is true. But then again, Messi doesn't need more money. He has already enough to buy anything he needs for the rest of his life. Only people close to him would benefit from that contract really. He needs to decide whats more important for him.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
We should take him

---------------Messi
Rashford-----Weghorst-----Antony

Dream team

al.gabiru

Football players like money, as everyone else.

CR7 only left Real Madrid because of the high taxes in Spain. Juventus, United and Al-Nassr covered the salary. If Australian football paid 100 m a year, cr7 would go there, right after Real Madrid.

Messi is the same thing. He only left Barcelona because he wanted more money and PSG offered. He only goes back to Barcelona if they offer him something else (a managerial role in the future, for example), if not, he goes to Arabia or USA. I don't see another European club investing heavily in Messi. Chelsea maybe? Unlikely by age and drop in performance

That said, Messi's spell at PSG was a failure. He only won Ligue 1, which PSG was already winning without him. On the other hand, maybe he was able to rest more in Ligue 1 and that's why he arrived in better physical shape at the World Cup. Finally winning the title that was missing for his career. So it was a better move for him than for PSG.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Would be big mistake for him going back to Barca for several obvious reasons.

Think he will either move to MLS or make most oil money he could in Saudi.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Journalist working for Tycsports writes Messi has rejected Al Hilal's offer and wants to continue playing in europe. They always had close relations to Messi's entourage and are pretty reliable in my experience.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I would love to see him go back to Barca and screw up their finances even more, at the same time starting every game and play at his PSG level. :drool:

Niemans

Supports
Barcelona, Celta de Vigo
Journalist working for Tycsports writes Messi has rejected Al Hilal's offer and wants to continue playing in europe. They always had close relations to Messi's entourage and are pretty reliable in my experience.
Everything seems to indicate that if Barcelona is able to have FFP he will sign.

If Messi signs I have some doubts that Gundogan signs.

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
I would love to see him go back to Barca and screw up their finances even more, at the same time starting every game and play at his PSG level. :drool:
According to catalan media: If he returns to barca, he would earn on the same level as Lewandowski. €20m gross or around €10m net + personal sponsoring. The days barca handed out unsustainable paychecks are over since Laporta took over from Bartomeu. The best proof is the guy we're talking about playing in Paris instead of Barcelona right now.

Everything seems to indicate that if Barcelona is able to have FFP he will sign.

If Messi signs I have some doubts that Gundogan signs.
Yeah, it's either Messi or Gundogan. We don't have the money, nor the free space to sign both.
If Messi returns to the rumoured condition (€20m/y gross) barca needs to free up around €80m Masa Salarial for his registration, if the 1:4 rule will apply to barca again in the summer. Also the club needs to register Gavi first.

Last edited:

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Messi should just go into semi retirement in the MLS or whatever now. Just like Ronnie, your wages can become bigger than your ability and what you offer the team. Him going back to Barca is just for nostalgia and the narrative. Everyone feels he should retire at Barca, but if I was Xavi, I would say no thank you and focus on the future. Of course Messi is actually bigger than the club so who knows.

Cal?

CR7 fan
According to catalan media: If he returns to barca, he would earn on the same level as Lewandowski. €20m gross or around €10m net + personal sponsoring. The days barca handed out unsustainable paychecks are over since Laporta took over from Bartomeu. The best proof is the guy we're talking about playing in Paris instead of Barcelona right now.
Tebas is the reason he is playing in Paris

Ragnar123

Supports
Barcelona
Tebas is the reason he is playing in Paris
Laporta is the reason, because he didn't sign Tebas' CVC deal. Tebas even said back in the days, that Messi could have stayed if Barca had signed his deal. But the CVC deal was way worse than Laporta's levers, so he made the decision for the club and against Messi in the end.

lolok

Would be big mistake for him going back to Barca for several obvious reasons.

Think he will either move to MLS or make most oil money he could in Saudi.
Feels like Saudi ahead of MLS tbh bc of the upfront wages he could make in Saudi. Even if MLS makes a Beckham deal where Messi can buy a franchise at a discount---- he may not have much interest in that. A shame really, because MLS is looking to expand into Las Vegas and Vegas is definitely on the short list of cities where you would want to own a team.

Vegas already has a brand new stadium for their NFL team that could be used for MLS. While Ronaldo is toiling over in Saudi, Messi could be in MLS playing and owning a franchise that would be worth at least $600 million right away.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Feels like Saudi ahead of MLS tbh bc of the upfront wages he could make in Saudi. Even if MLS makes a Beckham deal where Messi can buy a franchise at a discount---- he may not have much interest in that. A shame really, because MLS is looking to expand into Las Vegas and Vegas is definitely on the short list of cities where you would want to own a team.

Vegas already has a brand new stadium for their NFL team that could be used for MLS. While Ronaldo is toiling over in Saudi, Messi could be in MLS playing and owning a franchise that would be worth at least $600 million right away.
Unless Messi and Ronnie play in the same team, i think they should stay clear of playing in the same league in semi retirement. Of course you can never have enough money if you're either. Its just that having constant comparisons at their ages is exhausting. It was a thing when they both played in Spain. Now it needs to die.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Laporta is the reason, because he didn't sign Tebas' CVC deal. Tebas even said back in the days, that Messi could have stayed if Barca had signed his deal. But the CVC deal was way worse than Laporta's levers, so he made the decision for the club and against Messi in the end.
We will see how all those levers work out, trying to force Frenkie out again in the summer? or is Gavi leaving on a free?

Anyway, back on Messi, personally I think he'll take the Saudi money.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Unless Messi and Ronnie play in the same team, i think they should stay clear of playing in the same league in semi retirement. Of course you can never have enough money if you're either. Its just that having constant comparisons at their ages is exhausting. It was a thing when they both played in Spain. Now it needs to die.
I don't think they care much about each other, and for the Saudi clubs, it's probably the best marketing possible. At least until Qatar buy Mbappe for United and that's the new rivalry that will collapse the internet. :D

Pocho

So you"re still around, I thougt you"d quit after the WC

ROFLUTION

I think he should go to Barca. It's his last chance to enjoy football and at a club near his heart. He might regret not going imo when retired.

And could always go for a paycheck afterwards at Al Hilal or whatever insignificant oil-club.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
I’d say 90% of your posts are in either a Messi or Ronaldo thread. The other 10% are when you’re being Islamophobic.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I think he should go to Barca. It's his last chance to enjoy football and at a club near his heart. He might regret not going imo when retired.

And could always go for a paycheck afterwards at Al Hilal or whatever insignificant oil-club.
He’s already shot City down twice

mshnsh

Football players like money, as everyone else.

CR7 only left Real Madrid because of the high taxes in Spain. Juventus, United and Al-Nassr covered the salary. If Australian football paid 100 m a year, cr7 would go there, right after Real Madrid.

Messi is the same thing. He only left Barcelona because he wanted more money and PSG offered. He only goes back to Barcelona if they offer him something else (a managerial role in the future, for example), if not, he goes to Arabia or USA. I don't see another European club investing heavily in Messi. Chelsea maybe? Unlikely by age and drop in performance

That said, Messi's spell at PSG was a failure. He only won Ligue 1, which PSG was already winning without him. On the other hand, maybe he was able to rest more in Ligue 1 and that's why he arrived in better physical shape at the World Cup. Finally winning the title that was missing for his career. So it was a better move for him than for PSG.
Firstly, Messi did not leave Barca for money. He was forced to leave because Barca could not keep him due to the financial rules in La Liga.

Secondly, he was actually playing very very well before the world cup and was arguably their best player and still is although currently that has also to do with others around him being in poor form. PSG have alot of problems that a 35 year old Messi was never going to solve.

mshnsh

Nice to see you .i hope you enjoyed Qatar 2022 and are enjoying the camel league aka the greatest league in the world.