Lionel Messi is OFFICIALLY the Greatest Player of all Time (CONFIRMED OFFICIAL)

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Messi would never win a euro with Portugal that’s the difference. Ronaldo in argentina would have multiple.

levels.
I'm sure Messi would have been pretty capable of beating mighty Wales and watching Eder win the trophy for him, too.

Rajma

Difficult to imagine someone actually being better than him at football, the best I’ve ever seen and this WC was just the icing on the cake.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I possibly respect your opinion since like I said above everyone has the opinion about goat conversation. At the moment, You should probably calm a bit down, mate. Your emotions are leading everything now. Calm a bit down and everything will be better.
Ya only me. You got it mate.

Ladron de redcafe

The mind boggles.

Yeah, i feel for "them", i really do. Been a difficult 6 months - and thats putting it mildly.
And you get a sense the last 3 weeks must be taking a mental toll and effectuating some derrangement.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Ronaldo is, was and always will be better. The fact that Messi had better players around him for whole career doesn't change that fact.
Yeah - Figo, Deco, Quaresma, Pepe, Carvalho, B.Silva, Nani and Moutinho are a right bunch of cloggers.
Nonesense arguement, and I’m not even a fan of Messi particularly!

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Awesome so you danced around the question so I’ll ask it again.

Is winning a trophy for a country with multiple copa América wins and world cups wins easier than winning with Portugal?

If your answer is no (which it might be because you just don’t want to be wrong) then you should probably take up a new sport.
A trophy.
I like that. One is a world cup (including 2 goals in the final and a goal in every round plus assists) and the other is the euros.

I'm not degrading the euros but one 'trophy' is clearly head and shoulders above the other

Eddy_JukeZ

Yes, I can see it: "Yeah that Messi guy was pretty good, but how about that other player, who couldn't register a single goal or assist in the WC knockouts? And who won two (soon to be three, I'd wager) less Ballon d'Ors?" "Oh good point, that Messi guy also never managed to watch Eder win the EC from the sidelines."
:lol:

Destroyed the debate so eloquently too.

Same player who's never won a Golden Ball at the WC nor Euros.

He scores more than Messi in finals they'll say, but he doesn't do that either.

More IG followers though.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
I have had Pele and Maradona ahead of Messi until now.
Pele was up there because for so long he was brilliant and the games number 1 icon. When I was growing up the 2 biggest names in world sport were Ali and Pele. I had Maradona up there because he was an absolute magician with the ball and he lifted teams with his individual brilliance.
Personal opinion but now I think Messi is the GOAT. A long amazing career and he has won everything and been so consistent for such a long time. He is incredibly skillful but also a fantastic team player.
So sadly one of my childhood idols I have to concede is no longer the GOAT.

Entirely subjective of course but my list of top players looks like this. 1)Messi, 2)Pele/Maradona, 3)Best/Cruyff/Beckenbauer/Ronaldinho/Ronaldo/CR7/Iniesta/Gerd Muller...... heck that 3rd tier has got more names....

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Messi would never win a euro with Portugal that’s the difference. Ronaldo in argentina would have multiple.

levels.
Pretty sure Cristiano wouldn't win the Euros with Argentina but I might be wrong, who knows

Rajma

Feeling blessed to have watched him play at the stadium at his peak, effortless is what comes to my mind when you see him in action.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
On a more serious note, I still find it hard to compare between eras. Messi is definitely the best player of this generation but too much has changed to compare him with Maradona, Pelé or, for me, R9, too. And I think it is wrong to change your opinion about him because he won a WC final. That game makes up less than 0.1% of his career.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I don't get it. Several people tagged the guy baiting him to comment, then when he actually comments, most of you just troll him.

I think some of you don't even care that Argies won the cup, its the Messi vs Ronaldo show. You guys really need some help at the mental level.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Assuming Messi will win the next Ballon d'Or it will have been 14 years between his first and latest. For Ronaldo it's 9 years.
And then the Ronaldo, who managed to score at the WC, with 5 years.
So it's not just insane in terms of total wins, but also longevity.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Yeah - Figo, Deco, Quaresma, Pepe, Carvalho, B.Silva, Nani and Moutinho are a right bunch of cloggers.
Nonesense arguement, and I’m not even a fan of Messi particularly!
Ronaldo’s best team ever for Portugal was at 37 years of age.

2018 some talent started appearing. I challenge you to compare squads from 2006-2018 please do.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund

2018 some talent started appearing. I challenge you to compare squads from 2006-2018 please do.
Yet the 2006 team made top four at the WC, while having to carry some passenger in attack, who only scored against Iran..

r1z3mu

"Officially Over"?
This argument was over 5-10 years ago. Winning this World Cup is simply another record (important one) for Messi and his country.
And to all "what if" Ronaldo fans - please stop, you don't want to look like Piers Morgan. Ronaldo was amazing forward but there is more to football than scoring a lot of goals.

gibers

Ronaldo is, was and always will be better. The fact that Messi had better players around him for whole career doesn't change that fact.
Yeah, Ronaldo must have struggled with that Madrid team with Modric and Benzema, two Ballon Dor winners that won the Champions League without him :lol:

Some of you PR7 fans :wenger:

m1tch

Perfect story. Winning the world cup, as captain, in your last one, in the country of who pays your wages, and just the one loss along the way to the country for which you're an ambassador.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss

Imma let you in on a little secret. I won’t be doing that because I don’t care.
Point is, if the argument is Messi vs Ronaldo then compare them directly and don’t deflect it to teammates. Portugal vs Argentina is a different argument .

mshnsh

For me:

1. Messi
2. Pele
3. Maradona
4. CR7
Other top 10: R9, Cruijff, Di Stefano, Beckenbauer, Eusebio.

Ladron de redcafe

Yes, I can see it: "Yeah that Messi guy was pretty good, but how about that other player, who couldn't register a single goal or assist in the WC knockouts? And who won two (soon to be three, I'd wager) less Ballon d'Ors?" "Oh good point, that Messi guy also never managed to watch Eder win the EC from the sidelines."
Hilarious, aren't they?:D