Lionel Messi - Performances

Supports
Barcelona

I would love to just see them try and go all out attack and just see what happens. Argentina get way too political, overthink it, become negative and never really hit the heights they should.

If their strength is attack, commit to that and eventually the combinations and slick football will come. Way too much chop and change at the moment.

Spot on, words and formation!

viscaelbarca

Supports
Barcelona
I dont get this logic, so does that mean he was failing Argentina before?
No.

It was quite clear for a very long time to most but for those who still went with the rhetoric that he is part of the problem and that he wasn't carrying the team alone, for them this match should alter their opinion.

In a time when a win was do or die, only messi stepped up and scored the 3 goals. And all of the 3 goals were 100% by messi alone. Wasn't even a great assist in any one of them by any one. All apart from one were solo beauties and that one that wasn't was a defenders error.

The team is completely reliant on messi and he has been carrying this mess for ages now, and if others don't step up then they aren't going far in the WC.

MJJ

No.

It was quite clear for a very long time to most but for those who still went with the rhetoric that he is part of the problem and that he wasn't carrying the team alone, for them this match should alter their opinion.

In a time when a win was do or die, only messi stepped up and scored the 3 goals. And all of the 3 goals were 100% by messi alone. Wasn't even a great assist in any one of them by any one. All apart from one were solo beauties and that one that wasn't was a defenders error.

The team is completely reliant on messi and he has been carrying this mess for ages now, and if others don't step up then they aren't going far in the WC.
I think it's both, Argentina is messi and ten players rather than being a team. It should be a team that is built to messis strength but doesn't revolve around messi as it does now.

Ubermensch

Feck their strikers because they always bottle it. Get 2012 false nine Messi ahead of dybala and watch the magic happen.

viscaelbarca

Supports
Barcelona
I think it's both, Argentina is messi and ten players rather than being a team. It should be a team that is built to messis strength but doesn't revolve around messi as it does now.
The team revolves around messi BECAUSE there is no one else apart from him to to make an impact. Why do you think he drops deep? In barca and in argentina both? Because there are no players who can constantly create chances for him in the forward position.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
trying to think of another player you could say that about.. hmm.. scored 1 goal in the whole of qualifying, then.. hat-trick in the playoffs? Any ideas Cal? ?
This is not true. He saved us with an hattrick in Northern Ireland first when we were in serious danger of finishing third behind Israel. Then he saved us again with an hattrick in Sweden.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Was referring to your arguments on Messi goalscoring stats being comparable to Maradona one as he is basically dropping back in playmaking role, despite the fact that he starts his position primarily as a forward.
The point was not whether Maradona would score more goals if he played further forward that's debatable. It's whether he'd hit these goal scoring heights that is.

MJJ

The team revolves around messi BECAUSE there is no one else apart from him to to make an impact. Why do you think he drops deep? In barca and in argentina both? Because there are no players who can constantly create chances for him in the forward position.
Dybala or pastore can both play that role?

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
As good as he's been recently I don't think he's unstopabble in the current Barcelona and Argentina set ups like I once felt. Girona, Madrid, us and Getafe showed the way to slow him down. Put someone on him, man mark him, lower your lines and don't allow him space to run at your defense. When he has that space between the lines he's deadly (Eibar, Espanyol, Ecuador), by putting a man on him and reducing the space between the lines it makes it a lot easier to deal with him. You'd normally not be able to do this but both Barcelona and Argentina are lacking other big offensive threats right now so putting a man in midfield just responsable to stop him is worth it.

Yesterday was just as much about him stepping up as about Ecuador allowing him the space to do what he likes and their terrible defending. It will be fun to see what Simeone tries to do to slow Messi down on Saturday.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This is not true. He saved us with an hattrick in Northern Ireland first when we were in serious danger of finishing third behind Israel. Then he saved us again with an hattrick in Sweden.
But the point he was making is that these teams should never be in danger of not qualifying which was the case in these instances.

Well said, utter dross for most of the qualifying and only makes it right at the end is hardly the stuff of legends

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Was referring to your arguments on Messi goalscoring stats being comparable to Maradona one as he is basically dropping back in playmaking role, despite the fact that he starts his position primarily as a forward.
He generally received the ball in midfield, quite deep at times. If he didn't get the ball in buildup right away, he usually didn't push up, but let the game pass him by, looking to receive it with Argentina's offensive players well in front of him. No matter how his position is nominally depicted in graphics, in my eyes he clearly played as a free-role attacking midfielder.

Now, since the argument is about his entire NT career: I can't judge how many games he played roughly in that fashion, and how often he was deployed as a forward, letting other players dictate the midfield game. But to me present-day Messi is a full-blown AM (almost an anachronistic one) with the additional skillset of an attacker.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Sorry but it seems like you never saw Maradona play.
I'm not sorry to say you are taking out your arse.

Maradona was not a typical Zidane/Iniesta like midfield playmaker, he was more of a second striker.
That's pure nonsense. Maradona was the purest version of an old school 10. He was oriented to creating more than scoring goals, and was a proper midfielder even though he had a decent goal record and carried a proper goal threat. He never ever employed nor played like a Del Piero type.
And comparing an Iniesta type of player to him is an extreme version of being offside on this particular topic.

...... If you think Maradona was a pass-first kind of a player, you are massively wrong.
Its not my fault, but yours alone that you wrongly imagine that being oriented to creating equals to being a pass first kind of player. Which simply betrays a fundamental lack of understanding of the role Maradona played on a football pitch.

Last edited:

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
But the point he was making is that these teams should never be in danger of not qualifying which was the case in these instances.
Why not? Nobody expects us to qualify easily here. Getting to this many tournaments in a row is a great achievement for us and it's something that I don't think we'd be able to repeat anytime soon had it not been for the expansion of the tournaments.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Well Maradona's playmaking qualities should be used as an argument of his superiority (if it was better) and Messi's goalscoring prowess should be used in the same manner if he is capable of the level of goalscoring Maradona wasn't capable.
Which would both be drastically flawed arguments. Goal scoring alone can never make any attacking player superior to another, same as play making alone. The whole players repertoire of skills must be called into account.

I've never definitively compared Messi to a player I saw little of rather than week in week put. But my point is that Messi isn't your standard forward. He can play make is a statement we can apply to Zlatan. Likes to drop deep and do his thing. Messi is genuinely as good a player maker as anyone in the game. On top of being one of the all time great goalscorer. The other point was that we can't merely discard goalscorer or playmaking and pin in to position or role. If you think Maradona didn't show the same goalscoring ability because of position, well, maybe he wasn't capable of scoring 90 plus goals in a year regardless of position. You have to be capable of doing it. Many playmakers can be played further forward but won't achieve that. Same with playmaking. If Messi is playing as a forward, do you believe that he'd playmake as well as Maradona if played deeper? It's not a mere difference of roles at times. What they're better at will be used to prove they're better, naturally.
Fair enough.
Regardless, IMO one can not realistically deny the actuality of a difference in roles played when comparing such players. As I said earlier, just because a forward can drop deep and play make like Messi, and in the past Puskas and Di Stefano could to a world class level, doesn't make them midfielders. And the opposite goes for players like Maradona, Charlton or Lampard who were attacking midfielders who carried a constant goal threat. I seriously doubt anyone expects an old school 10 to ever score as much as a forward, to big it up as reason to claim the forward> the playmaker. It doesnt matter who we put into the argument instead of a Messi and a Maradona.

And as of now all we can do is speculate how much the likes of Cruyff, Platini and Maradona would have scored and at what rate in this era in which stars are super protected by referees and the rules of the game. But that should never ever detract from the fact Messi and CR7 alongside Pele and Gerd Müeller are GOATs of goal scoring.

Epicurean

Supports
Ajax
What's the maximum height allowed in the Messi wank club?
Must suck for you that someone as short as Messi is, is the GOAT. His dribbling, ability to create chances, playmaking and finishing are all superior to the "complete athlete" Ronaldo. And mind you, I like Ronaldo, but Messi is simply astonishing.

serghei

Supports
FC Barcelona
As good as he's been recently I don't think he's unstopabble in the current Barcelona and Argentina set ups like I once felt. Girona, Madrid, us and Getafe showed the way to slow him down. Put someone on him, man mark him, lower your lines and don't allow him space to run at your defense. When he has that space between the lines he's deadly (Eibar, Espanyol, Ecuador), by putting a man on him and reducing the space between the lines it makes it a lot easier to deal with him. You'd normally not be able to do this but both Barcelona and Argentina are lacking other big offensive threats right now so putting a man in midfield just responsable to stop him is worth it.

Yesterday was just as much about him stepping up as about Ecuador allowing him the space to do what he likes and their terrible defending. It will be fun to see what Simeone tries to do to slow Messi down on Saturday.
I remember Messi ripping apart Madrid a few months ago right on Bernabeu. Made Carvajal and Casemiro look like Sunday League players.

They don't have any recipe to stop him. He was just in preseason form in the Supercup and Barca didn't show up.

Getafe? :lol: I suppose if Ronaldo has a shit game vs Levante, they figured out how to block him?

There's only one way to stop Messi. Don't give him space, go tough on him and pray at least one of the following two things happen: he's not in a very good day and you get a lenient ref. If you're out of luck and none of those happen, he'll probably score a couple, nutmeg half your team in the process and get you at least a sending off for repetitive fouling.

Last edited:

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Must suck for you that someone as short as Messi is, is the GOAT. His dribbling, ability to create chances, playmaking and finishing are all superior to the "complete athlete" Ronaldo. And mind you, I like Ronaldo, but Messi is simply astonishing.
He's the goat for you and a few others uneducated fellas that never played football seriously. Even by youtube alone, can you watch Maradona's or Pele's footage and say with a straight face that Messi is the more talented player? He is deadly on the final 3rd but he's not as gifted as some past greats. I still prefer to watch Messi than CR7 as the latter still irritates me sometimes but i honestly, as much as i love football, never went out of my way to watch messi on tv.

Last time there was a player that made me really enjoy football as neutral was Zidane and Ronaldo 9. After them it has been a bit dire with a few exceptions like Ronaldinho, Pilro, etc. Obviously if you are comparing players, Messi is better than most of them, except R9 and Zidane imo among the modern players, but still, this lot had a more beautiful way of playing football, grace, skill, whatever. Something that Messi lacks and will never have. That's what makes him a poor man's Maradona, no matter how many goals he scores.

Deleted member 101472

He's the goat for you and a few others uneducated fellas that never played football seriously. Even by youtube alone, can you watch Maradona's or Pele's footage and say with a straight face that Messi is the more talented player? He is deadly on the final 3rd but he's not as gifted as some past greats. I still prefer to watch Messi than CR7 as the latter still irritates me sometimes but i honestly, as much as i love football, never went out of my way to watch messi on tv.

Last time there was a player that made me really enjoy football as neutral was Zidane and Ronaldo 9. After them it has been a bit dire with a few exceptions like Ronaldinho, Pilro, etc. Obviously if you are comparing players, Messi is better than most of them, except R9 and Zidane imo among the modern players, but still, this lot had a more beautiful way of playing football, grace, skill, whatever. Something that Messi lacks and will never have. That's what makes him a poor man's Maradona, no matter how many goals he scores.
Utterly baffling post

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I remember Messi ripping apart Madrid a few months ago right on Bernabeu. Made Carvajal and Casemiro look like Sunday League players.

They don't have any recipe to stop him. He was just in preseason form in the Supercup and Barca didn't show up.

Getafe? :lol: I suppose if Ronaldo has a shit game vs Levante, they figured out how to block him?

There's only one way to stop Messi. Don't give him space, go tough on him and pray at least one of the following two things happen: he's not in a very good day and you get a lenient ref. If you're out of luck and none of those happen, he'll probably score a couple, nutmeg half your team in the process and get you at least a sending off for repetitive fouling.
Not how to stop him, how to slow him down. Madrid didn't man mark him at the Bernabeu like they did in the Super Cup with Kovacic in the Camp Nou. Of course he'll still decide games anyway because he's Messi but the way Ecuador played, they made it as easy as possible for him. Don't allow him to run at your defense and you've stopped Messi at his most dangerous phase. Have someone on him like Battaglia, Kovacic or Maffeo did, don't allow him space between the lines and foul him if he gets by.

adkb

Messi is the best player there is. No doubt about that. He fits barca like a glove. And that is what its all about. Football is a team game and he fits in the team perfectly. I consider myself lucky to be alive when he is playing. There is no doubt there will be a lot of players like him in the future but he is special for being the one of a kind.

432JuanMata

Just dropped in too say delighted to be alive at the same time as this guy, I'm not one for arguing so it's only my option but for me he is the G.O.A.T

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Utterly baffling post
Which part? i admit the post was a bit spicy but it was just to add some banter (i knew that the poor man's Maradona would trigger some :angel:). The thing is, if someone doesn't join the goat bandwagon they get replies like yours. No discussion, no explanations, no reasoning why you think Messi is in fact the GOAT. I honestly tried to become a fanboy because we always need a goat right? What is it? better flair than Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo9 or Ronaldinho? More complete player than both Ronaldos? more vision and game control than Platini/Zidane? More heart? FFS, he was drugged to grow and got nurtured in the best academy in the world. As i said, i even prefer him to CR7 so what's the big deal? Is it so mind-blowing that he is one of the best forwards of modern history but not the greatest?

SirMattBugsby

Which part? i admit the post was a bit spicy but it was just to add some banter (i knew that the poor man's Maradona would trigger some :angel:). The thing is, if someone doesn't join the goat bandwagon they get replies like yours. No discussion, no explanations, no reasoning why you think Messi is in fact the GOAT. I honestly tried to become a fanboy because we always need a goat right? What is it? better flair than Pele, Maradona, Ronaldo9 or Ronaldinho? More complete player than both Ronaldos? more vision and game control than Platini/Zidane? More heart? FFS, he was drugged to grow and got nurtured in the best academy in the world. As i said, i even prefer him to CR7 so what's the big deal? Is it so mind-blowing that he is one of the best forwards of modern history but not the greatest?
Irony is.. saying Messi was drugged and then choosing Maradona over him.

Big Zidane fan here btw, and I think Messi is starting to enter his midfielder years. Watching Zizou was a joy to watch but I think Messi will match him in dictating games as he slows down. If he does that, we can safely say who's better.

RedDevil@84

Just dropped in too say delighted to be alive at the same time as this guy, I'm not one for arguing so it's only my option but for me he is the G.O.A.T
You should be thread banned for just dropping in, calling Messi a goat and then leaving :lol::lol::lol:

lsd

The Oracle
Never understand why people are so obsessed with saying someone is the greatest of all time .It sounds very insecure to me the need to say someone playing now is better than someone who played on the past either recent past or before you were born etc.

It's like it's not enough to just enjoy someone now but you have to convince yourself your enjoyment is better than anyone elses before you .

Just chill and be happy with what you have or at least wait to the guy wins a world cup for his country

Or look at it this way if your 19 to 30 and saying Messi is the greatest player in history your just being stupid as how would you know? Unless you were around to witness what others did not watching a five minute you tube video of them shaking their heads and running on the spot you are in no position to judge that.

Moonred

Never understand why people are so obsessed with saying someone is the greatest of all time .It sounds very insecure to me the need to say someone playing now is better than someone who played on the past either recent past or before you were born etc.

It's like it's not enough to just enjoy someone now but you have to convince yourself your enjoyment is better than anyone elses before you .

Just chill and be happy with what you have or at least wait to the guy wins a world cup for his country

Or look at it this way if your 19 to 30 and saying Messi is the greatest player in history your just being stupid as how would you know? Unless you were around to witness what others did not watching a five minute you tube video of them shaking their heads and running on the spot you are in no position to judge that.
Can’t comment on players I haven’t seen and if anyone was better than Messi, good for him and I regret not being able to see someone that great live.

But as far as the last 20/25 years of watching football is concerned, few might have, at their absolute best matched Messi for a single match or some matches but none comes close to producing relentless brilliance over a period of time with mind boggling stats to support and in a way that has made me repeatedly shrug in disbelief.

ryadmahrez

Messi is literally arguably the goat at the most crucial parts of the game. Meaning dribbling, passing, technique, creativity and finishing. It is really easy to see why so many educated fans and legends of the game consider him the best in history.

ryan cook

What a trainwreck of a post.

Moonred

Says Messi lacks skill and calls others uneducated. :lol:

lsd

The Oracle
Messi is literally arguably the goat at the most crucial parts of the game. Meaning dribbling, passing, technique, creativity and finishing. It is really easy to see why so many educated fans and legends of the game consider him the best in history.

Literally arguably ?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Some interesting points, but again context must be taken into consideration. In those times there was a relative abundance of classic 10s able to drive team forward and be prolific themselves. Not so much today, as defences have evolved, becoming increasingly more athletic and intense. That made classic 10s, with their individualistic style based on creativity and skill, almost obsolete. You won't see anyone nowadays consistently taking the ball in their own half and bossing the game from goal to goal. It is literally impossible to do that anymore, defences are closing down and pressing too quickly. But even in that context, Messi is still able to play in classic playmaker style on the highest level, and outscore them all. He would arguably be even more unstoppable in a previous era, his skill level is that high, and he's more physically resilient than most classic 10s were.
There has, and never will be a superior or more defensively imperious league above 80's and early 90's serie A. The high press of today is good... for this era. In the time of 2pts for a win, it would be suicidal, and the quality of midfielder and their dribbling ability would have a field day beating the high press and strolling on to goal with only a discombobulated backline to take on.

In that era, a man marker, devoted solely to taking out the opposition's most dangerous player and ushering him into packed, unwavering defensive units was the thing. It was phased out over time because of how much it compromised the defensive team, and more importantly, with the arrival of 3pts for a win.

In short, to ever get a league with the defensive quality and superiority of Maradona's Serie A, you would need to go back to 2pts for a win, which would make defensive fortresses a thing once more. No player who has arrived, post-2pts-for-a-win, has any comprehension of what it is like to play in such utterly stifling conditions, but even then, Ronaldo played in a Serie A that is miles ahead of anything since in terms of defensive class.

The notion of Messi being 'more unstoppable' in the era of Maradona is, frankly, absurd. To even produce at 80% current level in those times would be incredible. Platini, Zico and Maradona were incredulous for putting up the numbers they did, Messi's goal-rate, even if it was just 5 goals more than them, would be phenomenal. You can absolutely forget about the numbers we witness these days being translated to that time, however.

The point was not whether Maradona would score more goals if he played further forward that's debatable. It's whether he'd hit these goal scoring heights that is.
The interesting thing about Maradona is he was a prolific player well before Messi was in terms of age. At 15(!) through to 21, he had 116 goals in 166 games. It's only because he was so utterly dominant playing further back that it became his thing. It's a catch 22: do you want to grab goals and not control the game, or completely control the game and hope to nick a goal in the process? That was the conundrum for managers handling Maradona, and it's over time that his finishing declined because he was no longer deployed in the position which would see his frequency of shots remain high and finely attuned.

The trajectory Maradona was actually on is superior to Messi's in terms of equivalency per age. He started banging them in earlier and showed no signs of decline if he'd been left to do the job he was initially put in teams to do. I will say, however, that the moment Maradona set foot in that Serie A, his numbers would have dropped, as would anyone's, because of both the quality and cynicism of the league. Even for Barcelona he had his ankle destroyed and it would no doubt have been worse if he was putting up insane numbers in Serie A - the simple way to put a stop to that (prolific scoring) was to take out the player, which is something Zico and Van Basten succumbed to.

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Delighted Messi will be there at the WC. It's all good to say that new nations should join WC, but if the best talent is not playing in the mega event that happens once in four years, it takes the shine off the World Cup.