Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Zidane retired at 34 but was probably still the best player on the planet, if he didn't get that red in the final and won the penalty shootout he would've won the Balon D'or that year. Xavi and Iniesta decided to leave Barca and most Barca fans will tell you that they left too early, they chose to leave and give the keys to the team to Messi and the new generation. Modric is still going strong at 37, Busquets is getting a new contract at 34. Benzema just won the Balon D'or. Of course when you reach 38 it is different but Modric is fundamentally a lot better than Ronaldo technically which is why he's 37 and still does the things he does with the ball.
Busquets is nowhere near his best. Modric was better 4 years back. Iniesta and Xavi declined and I don't believe were at an incredible level at 35. Things change. Footballers decline. Some age better than others of course.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
He might walk for 98% of the match, but it is worth it from a neutrals perspective just to see snippets of the best footballer ever once again.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
You don't have to take everything literally, you can't deny there are a bunch of midfield players who are capable of replicating the match Messi had yesterday. At man utd we have Eriksen who has played matches at that level this season at united. Fred even had a great game in midfield a few weeks ago against Spurs (8,4/10 here and this is not an exaggeration).
We have Bernardo Silva and De Bruyne who play like this (and better at times) week in week out. There is Alcantara, Kimmich, Musiala, Foden. I mean really with only watching 1 or 2 football matches a week I can name a lot of players playing at that level at this moment...

I cannot say any longer that Messi is the single greatest player in the world for a couple of years now. I also cannot name someone else. After the extreme heights Messi reached in his prime everyone else feels disappointing and this includes current Messi as well.
I mean, few of the named players are capable of such performances but Fred and Eriksen? Come on. Some of them are capable of the defense splitting passes, some of them are capable of the dribblings but none of all of that in combination. And that's in a game in which Messi's finishing was a bit off. I don't think it was an exceptional game by Messi's standards by the way. But it is unreal what's taken for granted when it comes to him. There would be almost exlcusively praise l if it had been one of the players you mentioned. But that's the way it is.

the_cliff

Busquets is nowhere near his best. Modric was better 4 years back. Iniesta and Xavi declined and I don't believe were at an incredible level at 35. Things change. Footballers decline. Some age better than others of course.
There's no doubt about their decline, my point was as you said some age better than others, the players that don't rely as much on the physical aspect of the game age better than those that don't and that's my point.

Modric was better 4 years ago but he's still better than most midfielders today that are in their physical prime, so is Busquets and why is that ?

Again as I mentioned, there were passes Messi completed yesterday that Ronaldo could only dream of doing in his prime.

Last edited:

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I think the whole penalty thing is a brillant example of how different measuring sticks are applied to Messi. Apparently he has a conversion rate of 77.2% which is slightly above average (~75%). So nothing exceptional but not bad either. Ronaldo by the way has 83.4%, which is indeed exceptionally good.
It is just so strange, that the best / one of the very best scorers in the history of the game is about average at taking pens. It must be a mental thing.

Surely people aren’t this stupid, or this desperate to paint Messi in a good light?

One pic is doctored from the Mexico match, the other from last night.

I mean fecking hell, as if players can just give away their award and a teammate will be like “nice one, let me get a picture of this”.

What the holy feck people, think.

TheGame

Surely people aren’t this stupid, or this desperate to paint Messi in a good light?

I mean fecking hell, as if players can just give away their award and a teammate will be like “nice one, let me get a picture of this”.

I genuinely fell for that, bit stupid of me.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Good research, even reuters was reporting Messi handed off his award :lol:

I mean who cares really. I'm not vetting all the nonsense posted here.

It seems to have gotten under your skin though?
I think people lose their minds over these pair, and you didn’t need to vet that post to realise you can’t just give away a man of the match award and the new player just goes and gets officially photographed with your award.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I dont know how anyone can watch current Messi and see how much he has declined. In infrequent bursts he can look closer to the his younger self but in general his deline is pretty visible. Everyone have different milage. He wants to retire while still somewhat on top. Recency bias is very real. Players with the status odlf someone like Messi doesnt want hang around just because he can still do a job. Busquets has been average for a long time now. Just because he got a new contract it doesnt mean much. Messi is one of the top earners in football, hes expected to perform like one of the best consistently. There is lowered expectations for players not in the running for best ever.
Messi is still great at his age he's just lost acceleration and pace, but his finishing, passing and dribbling is still there.

His speed has been dropping for about 7 years now, after the 2014 world cup was the period I started to see that aspect of his game decline.

Messi could still play a CAM role and boss it for 3-4 years.

SerendipityNow

Supports
Barcelona
35 and still a world class playmaker. And im enjoying every second of it.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think people lose their minds over these pair, and you didn’t need to vet that post to realise you can’t just give away a man of the match award and the new player just goes and gets officially photographed with your award.
Yes I'm sure. Maybe you can post a video of you doing a victory lap having uncovered this mystery?

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
I mean for sure it's a bit over the top to wax lyrical about a "decent" performance (by his peak standards, good by anyone elses) from one of the greatest players in history as he winds down his career.

I'm sure that people feel the same way about seeing Paul McCartney live over the past decade (or any other legend of the stage etc) when its likely he's not got the pipes/same energy he had a couple of decades ago but they appreciate the fact that they have the opportunity to see him perform at a (relatively)high standard before he retires.

Maybe Messi isn't hitting all the notes that he did 10 years ago but he's got a back catalog of hits that ensure that you enjoy the show.

If someone spent their time in the theoretical Paul McCartney thread constantly banging on about how he's not as good as everyone thinks he is live and his last good live performance was in 2007 I would say they were altogether stranger than the people enjoying the show though.

But that's just me.

wangyu

Well if Eriksen or Fred played the game yesterday there is no way we would be calling it "decent", people would be bending over backwards to praise the performance.

Messi is just judged to a higher standard.
I don’t easily give high praise. The max I give a player here is usually an 8. Messi should be judged to a higher standard, he set the bar himself. I would be surprised if he would call this a landmark performance himself. Especially considering Poland played like cowards…

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Messi should be judged to a higher standard, he set the bar himself.
But aren't you just doing what you accused everyone else of?

Decent game nothing more nothing less, a 7 but since the name is messi it has to be upgraded to GOAT game I guess
Judging Messi to a different standard because his name is Messi?

Rojow

Had scored the penalty and Álvarez scored the pass Messi gave to him and it would've been a 10/10 game. It was an 8/10 game i say.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Had scored the penalty and Álvarez scored the pass Messi gave to him and it would've been a 10/10 game. It was an 8/10 game i say.
How can you dock a performance of one player due to the action of another?

wangyu

But aren't you just doing what you accused everyone else of?
Judging Messi to a different standard because his name is Messi?
He is better than what I have seen yesterday, why is this so damn controversial? He did not have a world classgame imo. If you or anyone else disagree then I am fine with it. In my opinion he had a fairly decent game nothing more or less.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
He is better than what I have seen yesterday, why is this so damn controversial?
I don't really find it controversial.

Just a little illogical to say that people are upgrading a good game to a great game because he's Messi while you are downgrading his performance because he's Messi that's all.

It's less about Messi's performance and more about you feeling people are overrating his performance vs Poland due to prior performance while you underrate his performance vs Poland due to prior performance.

wangyu

I don't really find it controversial.

Just a little illogical to say that people are upgrading a good game to a great game because he's Messi while you are downgrading his performance because he's Messi that's all.

It's less about Messi's performance and more about you feeling people are overrating his performance vs Poland due to prior performance while you underrate his performance vs Poland due to prior performance.
Oh I see what you mean now. I don’t think I underrate his performance, it was a reaction to how I felt others have overrated his performance yesterday. If Eriksen had played that game like that I don’t think I would praise it to no end either. At least I think not, I can’t be 100% sure!

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
He is better than what I have seen yesterday, why is this so damn controversial? He did not have a world classgame imo. If you or anyone else disagree then I am fine with it. In my opinion he had a fairly decent game nothing more or less.
Yeah he went on some dribbling runs that we havnt seen for a while and looked a lot more dynamic and lively than usual but his end production was missing.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
The best ever for me, remarkable.

I really want Argentina to win the WC for him, but I don't think they're strong enough as a squad.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
He's still the best player in the world on nights like that. A little sad it's hard for him to maintain this workrate every game the way he used to but lets appreciate him for his last world cup and hope he'll have the same energy against the netherlands. Such a special player.

Scottynaldinho

If Mbappe play like this tomorrow, it will be his best performance ever.

Even this 60% of the player he once was is the best footballer on the planet.

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
So, he had a decent game against really por team and suddenly his fanboys are comparing this performance to Zidane's vs Brazil? Jesus, football will be a better place when his and CR's fanboys stop watching football.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I get a bit emotional watching him when he plays like that. It’s hard to imagine ever seeing someone as good as him again in my lifetime.

Joel Miller

Cue: “but it’s Australia”

“but the keeper was rubbish”

“but the weather suited him more”

“but growth hormones”

etc etc

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I dont think Argentina can win it, but Messi can be proud of himself so far in this wc. He looked a lot more often like his younger self today.

slored1

Ridiculous player, hope Argentina pull it together so we can see the GOAT lift the cup.