Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

Gomes

Gifted 3 penalties already. I guess it's easier to make another 3 world cups the next three years.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Gifted 3 penalties already. I guess it's easier to make another 3 world cups the next three years.
I think one was soft, but there's been other soft pens in the WC too. Generally its a case of don't give the ref a decision to make.

mathrait

Supports
Arsenal
I really can't understand how anyone can claim Ronaldo has had a better international career than Messi. I've seen people make that claim a few times.

Messi has been talismanic at multiple World Cups and Copa Americas. Ronaldo has never performed anything close to the level Messi has at major international tournaments.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Cruyff is top 5 of all time. R9 is not top 10.
R9 not in top 10? I've heard it all now
He's one of the most talented players to ever kick a ball
Talent wise and his top level are up there with the best ever yes, but to be one of the greatest and in the top 10 you need more than that.

Other players in the top 10 had similar goal scoring prowess but also had playmaking to go alongside it.

He also lacks the longevity of other all time greats, which is why he doesn't make it in the top 10.

At club level, he only ever won 2 league titles and has 0 CL titles with only 14 CL goals to his name, whilst playing for some of the top teams in their league, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Inter Milan.

His top level is as good as anyone but he never really achieved much honour wise at club level, which for me stops him from being in the top 10.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Ironically, I think he isn't even that good this tournament by his standards. People are very result driven in their assessments. Very good still but 2014 was better so far

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I guess you have to be that ruthless to be that good.
Messi in general hasnt dived much at all considered how much he gets kicked and fouled over his career. I think hes just thought feck it this is my last wc, ill play dirty if i have to.

Gehrman

Ironically, I think he isn't even that good this tournament by his standards. People are very result driven in their assessments. Very good still but 2014 was better so far
I agree. Its just context though. He's 35 and still producing in a bang average team.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's a sensational player. Maybe better than the 2-3 all time greats. But there's so much sanctimony around him. And that last Ballon d'Or he won was unmerited. Like a life-time achievement award.

AndySmith1990

He's a sensational player. Maybe better than the 2-3 all time greats. But there's so much sanctimony around him. And that last Ballon d'Or he won was unmerited. Like a life-time achievement award.
"maybe better"

He's run rings around players, assisted more than anyone, and scored almost 800 goals, over two decades at the highest level. Yeah, definitely maybe better

RepardReece

And that last Ballon d'Or he won was unmerited. Like a life-time achievement award.
Meh, if the likes of Rashford had that kind of a season everyone would be screaming out for him to win the Ballon D'or. His standards are too high.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
"maybe better"

He's run rings around players, assisted more than anyone, and scored almost 800 goals, over two decades at the highest level. Yeah, definitely maybe better
I'm squarely in the Maradona camp.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Messi getting fecked at international level by dumb players.
I mean it's not like he's going to win them the WC. This team is gash. The whole hype is entirely built around his name and that run that must have involved decent bit of luck. They'll probably go out tonight but regardless a team this poor is not winning the WC. They'd get beaten easily by England or France if they made the final.

AndySmith1990

He has a goal and an assist during a game in which Argentina are playing utterly shite. So, how is he getting fecked Einstein? It's almost as though football results depend on team cooperation.
Presumably he's supposed to singlehandedly defend every chance and then dribble past the entire team and score? Not sure, but you'd think so given some of the utter nonsense some people spout online

Gehrman

Presumably he's supposed to singlehandedly defend every chance and then dribble past the entire team and score? Not sure, but you'd think so given some of the utter nonsense some people spout online
Of course Maradona did it every single match. He scored with his hands as well!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
don't make me laugh.
Ah, maybe I concede this. I meant '20. It was cancelled. Still, Lewa had another outstanding season, better stats than Messi too but admittedly lesser league.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He has a goal and an assist during a game in which Argentina are playing utterly shite. So, how is he getting fecked Einstein? It's almost as though football results depend on team cooperation.
Some people can't wait to criticise Messi, even when Argentina obviously wouldn't be in the game without him. There's nothing to read into it beyond that.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Who deserved it more? Lewandowski? For being the top goal scorer in 1-team league, Bundesliga?

La Liga (2nd most competitive league according to UEFA rankings)>>>Bundesliga (4th most competitive league where Ligue 1 is no.5)

Copa MVP + La Liga best forward + Copa Del Rey MVP >>> Bundesliga best forward with Bayern in a 1-team farmers league
La Liga top scorer + Copa top scorer + Copa most assists >>> Bundesliga top scorer
International Player of the Tournament: Messi (1) >>> Lewa (0)
MOTM: Messi (27) >>> Lewa (13)
IFFHS World's Best Playmaker: Messi (No.2)

I am not even comparing their playmaking stats like chances created, key passes, no of successful dribbles etc..as there is nothing to compare..

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Argentina are just team spirit and him. Croatia will be a very tight game. He's had an excellent WC so far.

Hoof the ball

I'm pleased for him. No one can say that he lacks character. He's been clutch this entire competition. Even in the Saudi game he put the fecking ball in the net and had another goal and assist ruled out through marginal offside. This Argentina team have balls, but they don't have quality. Messi can't get the ball that much because he's either double-teamed or Argentina can't string a couple of passes successfully. Testimony to just how much he's done with so little time with the ball.

Andersonson

When he is involved nobody comes close to him. Age is definitely catching up, but my god, he is still a god on that pitch