Lionel Messi | PSG Watch

mu4c_20le

Ok. Now please explain (using logic) why Messi didn't deserve it?
Liverpool only conceded 22 goals in the PL and lost the title to City by a point. VVD had one of the best seasons for a CB, there wasn't much more he could have done, maybe besides scoring a few headers in the final. History has shown us that the award usually favours the one who wins a CL or World Cup, so I don't see anything crazy about a VVD win that year. He was a big reason for Liverpool's success.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Ah…the same few insecure Cr7 cultists derailing the thread again. Busy at work these days yeah, need to defend your god and savior in the transfer thread too

genardk

Supports
Juventus
Ronaldo has 1 top scorer award in 7 seasons in English football and 1 top scorer award in 3 seasons in Italy (pipped by Lukaku and iMobile in 2 of those seasons).

He has a combined 5 top scorer awards in all his years of football despite offering nothing more than goals.
And goal scoring is supposed to be his main strength. That's why I cannot understand how these two can be compared.

Messi is a GOAT level playmaker, passer and creator. Ronaldo has no business in those areas. Messi is also a superior GOAT level dribbler.
One would expect Ronaldo to be the the way superior goal scorer so that he can cover his significant weaknesses in other areas yet it is doubtful whether he is even better than Messi in goalscoring :lol: Messi has more top league goal scorer awards, Golden Shoes, and a better per minute goal rate..

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Liverpool only conceded 22 goals in the PL and lost the title to City by a point. VVD had one of the best seasons for a CB, there wasn't much more he could have done, maybe besides scoring a few headers in the final. History has shown us that the award usually favours the one who wins a CL or World Cup, so I don't see anything crazy about a VVD win that year. He was a big reason for Liverpool's success.
Ok. Please explain (using logic) why Messi didn't deserve it?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
It means more than either Seria A title Ronaldo won.
Juventus had won 7 (?) League titles in a row and 4 doubles in a row prior to Ronaldo coming in and immediately weakening the team. Meanwhile, PSG weren't champions prior to the 7 time balón dor winner coming in.
You are right. It was a miracle he made PSG win. Top class achievement .

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
So it's a no to accepting wrongs ?
I'll accept that I'm wrong about the use of the word 'everyone' as soon as you accept that you're wrong about Ronaldo never having teams built around him. But if you see sense and admit that, it would make me right. You see the dilemma?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I'll accept that I'm wrong about the use of the word 'everyone' as soon as you accept that you're wrong about Ronaldo never having teams built around him. But if you see sense and admit that, it would make me right. You see the dilemma?
Not never. He has but not to the extent of Messi. That United team was no built around him. Madrid 14-17 played to his strengths.

The thing is I don't care for this debate so much because it honestly doesn't matter to me. You build around your best players what's new. It's wrong to say though that just because Rooney accomodated for Ronaldo the team was built around him.

I don't particularly think Poch built around Messi right but the Barca team was. It was absolutely optimal and there's nothing wrong with that. Just shows pep was a good coach and had an incredibly Midfield maybe best of that generation.

Also doesn't matter to the debate for me but it does matter to me that Messi went to Ligue 1. I can't respect that league and trophies won there at a plastic club is meaningless. You know very well lingard would probably win there.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Not never. He has but not to the extent of Messi. That United team was no built around him. Madrid 14-17 played to his strengths.

The thing is I don't care for this debate so much because it honestly doesn't matter to me. You build around your best players what's new. It's wrong to say though that just because Rooney accomodated for Ronaldo the team was built around him.

I don't particularly think Poch built around Messi right but the Barca team was. It was absolutely optimal and there's nothing wrong with that. Just shows pep was a good coach and had an incredibly Midfield maybe best of that generation.

Also doesn't matter to the debate for me but it does matter to me that Messi went to Ligue 1. I can't respect that league and trophies won there at a plastic club is meaningless. You know very well lingard would probably win there.
Disagree, but well articulated.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
In order to win the Golden Ball as a defender, you really need a perfect storm to occur. Defenders who probably were better players than Van Dijk (for example Baresi, Maldini) have never won it either and they didn't have to contend with Ronaldo/Messi duopoly.

Anyways it came down to a couple of votes, painting that as some sort of a robbery makes no sense whatsoever.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
There was talk of VVD being the PL's greatest ever defender that season, and Messi only beat him by 7 points in the voting. So definitely not ridiculous.
It's only because that was a normal season for prime Messi. Had any other attacking player had that same season no one would go around saying VVD was robbed

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
You've asked three questions, only fair I get at least one.
Haha, OK. Well, the Ballon D'Or has only been won by 2 defenders ever, Beckenbauer and Fabio C. The World Cup usually helps. Outside of that, defenders don't usually win it. Fair? Maybe not but that's how it is. The other issue is that VVD had Salah and Mane who finished 4th and 5th, so VVD did well to finish second to be honest, above his attacking teammates.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
In order to win the Golden Ball as a defender, you really need a perfect storm to occur. Defenders who probably were better players than Van Dijk (for example Baresi, Maldini) have never won it either and they didn't have to contend with Ronaldo/Messi duopoly.

Anyways it came down to a couple of votes, painting that as some sort of a robbery makes no sense whatsoever.
This explains what I was saying much better. There have been better defenders than VVD who have not won it

mu4c_20le

Haha, OK. Well, the Ballon D'Or has only been won by 2 defenders ever, Beckenbauer and Fabio C. The World Cup usually helps. Outside of that, defenders don't usually win it. Fair? Maybe not but that's how it is. The other issue is that VVD had Salah and Mane who finished 4th and 5th, so VVD did well to finish second to be honest, above his attacking teammates.
Not very fair on defenders, no. But it's a fair take. Both were very important to their teams, and as good as Salah/Mane are, they would have won feck all without him. And then there was the talk about him having a flawless year, never been beat, etc.

Pickle85

Then you'd be wrong as well. If by 'failure' you mean last season, he still got 14 assists to Ron's 3 and won one trophy to Ronaldo's zero. Not his best season, but he just added another trophy that takes him further ahead of his great rival in the total tally.

If you judge things purely on goals, there's always next season, when he will likely score an amount of goals more to your liking, seeing as he hit the post about 10 times this season.
Awwww...when you're talking about post hits as a legitimate stat you know you're reaching. Cute that you rate Messi's last season as a success. Not sure how many would agree, but hey. Still, one season outside of Barça and...not the same Messi. Who'd have thought it?!

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Awwww...when you're talking about post hits as a legitimate stat you know you're reaching. Cute that you rate Messi's last season as a success. Not sure how many would agree, but hey. Still, one season outside of Barça and...not the same Messi. Who'd have thought it?!
Besides Mbappe, it's hard to name a single player who played to his level in that PSG team this past season, and Messi had something to do with it (Mbappe's form).

Last edited:

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Ballon Dor is an award for best individual player. VVD without that miracle comeback wouldn't have won the UCL, where he was a part of a defense who conceded 3 goals, of which Messi scored two. So to say oh VVD was robbed is such a silly thing. You can say "you think" VVD deserved it, because you think "players winning UCL should win Ballon Dor". To use words like oh Messi didn't deserved it, just tries to make it Messi was average in those seasons, yet won because of politics. When that isn't true at all.

GinobiliTheGOAT

When Mane (VVD’s own teammate) says Messi deserved it in 2019 that days it all. Messi had a far bigger carry job in 2019 than VVD did. Liverpool’s attack showed up in 2019, Barca’s defense didn’t.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Still does very well for the NT, and was still second in assists in the French league and psg didn’t even win the title the year before. Having said that, not a good season by Messi standards but far from a bad one.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
I was about to ask why all the CR7 fans are in here polluting the thread without consequence. There's a specific thread for that.
They are in a existential crisis mode after recent events, trying to distract attention from Ronaldo's circus :lol:

Ladron de redcafe

And goal scoring is supposed to be his main strength. That's why I cannot understand how these two can be compared.

Messi is a GOAT level playmaker, passer and creator. Ronaldo has no business in those areas. Messi is also a superior GOAT level dribbler.
One would expect Ronaldo to be the the way superior goal scorer so that he can cover his significant weaknesses in other areas yet it is doubtful whether he is even better than Messi in goalscoring :lol: Messi has more top league goal scorer awards, Golden Shoes, and a better per minute goal rate..

They aren't even close.

MessiRonaldo
Goal scoring Peak (Calender Year)9169
Goalscoring peak (season)7361
Goalscoring average82.2%74.6%
Golden boots64
Top scorer awards85

And as you stated, Messi does this while playing deeper, not taking even close to as many shots per game as Ronaldo does, and while setting up more goals than Ronaldo does.

genardk

Supports
Juventus
I think the most interesting question is, can Ronaldo win these awards or big trophies without a top manager? We know LM can as he hasn't had an elite manager since Pep. Even Enrique, who is obviously very competent, has not won a trophy without Messi in his team.
Great point, such an overlooked issue.

How amazing it would be if Messi could play under a manager like Klopp after Guardiola. Barca could easily attract the best of the best, never understood why they always go for mediocre managers other than a few exceptions, definitely would help Messi add a couple more big trophies like CL..

Pickle85

How amazing it would be if Messi could play under a manager like Klopp after Guardiola. Barca could easily attract the best of the best, never understood why they always go for mediocre managers other than a few exceptions, definitely would help Messi add a couple more big trophies like CL..
Messi hasn't proven he can do it outside of Barça, so I wouldn't hold your breath...

Ladron de redcafe

He's won balón dors and golden boots under Enrique and Valverde. Ronaldo hasn't sniffed either without an all time great as a manager.

Ladron de redcafe

Messi hasn't proven he can do it outside of Barça, so I wouldn't hold your breath...
He just led Argentina to Copa america while winning player of the tournament. Ronaldo has never sniffed an international player of the tournament award.

Domestically, your point is fatuous because Messi made Barcelona as dominant as they are, even with the conveyer belt of different managers.