g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mick1991

This was on the front page of Reddit earlier, that's an impressive feat for a football video.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Not really... just because he doesn't dive every time he's touched, it doesn't cancel out his dives when he does do them.
Surely it's admirable to see a player stay up despite being fouled repeatedly as often as he does though?

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
Surely it's admirable to see a player stay up despite being fouled repeatedly as often as he does though?
I suppose you can credit him for that, but the title of the video is Leo Messi never dives, which is false, because he has dived before, making the whole thing a bit pointless.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think you took the title a bit too literally, Wayne.

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the
Anyone who has seen Messi play would be hard pressed to say he's a big diver. A lot of the tackles on that video would be bookings if he went to ground, even penalties. If anything that's too honest, if it was my team and that happend i'd say, feck that just go down, it's a stone wall penalty.

AlwaysRedwood

Anyone who has seen Messi play would be hard pressed to say he's a big diver. A lot of the tackles on that video would be bookings if he went to ground, even penalties. If anything that's too honest, if it was my team and that happend i'd say, feck that just go down, it's a stone wall penalty.
I'd say he's the least offender on that team.

Though, he's not beyond putting the ball in the net with his hand.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Although honesty IS a part of it, it's not really all about honesty. It's also about self-confidence and self-belief.

When Messi keeps going despite being tackled, it's because he has enough confidence in himself that he can keep going and beat everybody ahead of him. He would like his chances having the ball on the run better than having a freekick, or even a penalty, most of the time! He's the best player in the world, and he is playing like one.

While on the other hand, some other player seem to be more confident in his acting abilities, than his ability to run with the ball! "Oh! A freekick! I'll take it!"

But don't worry, he is still better than Messi in taking penalties...

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
indeed, so's scholes
Scholes is also a nutter. What's your point?

It's a non praise really. I'm not going to praise a player for not going down most of the times. That's just sad. What he get's for doing that is not being criticizes when he does dive because most of the times he doesn't.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The Messi-ism is actually pathetic. Why is Scholes handball actually relevant here?
Yes Scholes tackles badly and yes Scholes handballed that against Zenit, does that somehow make Messi's handball right?

Marcos likes to have a dig a Cal for his Ronaldo fanboism, but he himself is not less pathetic than him for Messi.

KM

Can you make a 30-second clip featuring the you know who he is doing the same?
Again amusing to see "you know who" being in the discussion. How's he relevant here?

People who blame others for derailing the thread are themselves to blame for derailing.

If Cal would've raised Messi in the Ronaldo thread, it would've been ridiculed and rightly so but somehow indulging in Messi fanboism is less pathetic than Ronaldo fanboism.

Oh and before anybody says "OMG Look another Ronaldo fanboi", look and search my post history and see how I rate the two.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
It's not relevant at all. But at least Marcos is queer and Argentinian so he has more "right" to be talking about Messi as such. I'll probably be similar in a few years when Iceland manage to finish 3rd in a qualification group.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
The Messi-ism is actually pathetic. Why is Scholes handball actually relevant here?
Yes Scholes tackles badly and yes Scholes handballed that against Zenit, does that somehow make Messi's handball right?

Marcos likes to have a dig a Cal for his Ronaldo fanboism, but he himself is not less pathetic than him for Messi.
you can blow me from delhi to buenos aires, non stop :drool:

my point is that there are double standards

thats all

KM

you can blow me from delhi to buenos aires, non stop :drool:

my point is that there are double standards

thats all
My point is there's no double standards at all. Scholes and Messi both did that out of character but it was still wrong anyway. No need to justify it by bringing irrelevant comparisons.

And the first line of your post is exceedingly creepy.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?
My point is there's no double standards at all. Scholes and Messi both did that out of character but it was still wrong anyway. No need to justify it by bringing irrelevant comparisons.

come on!!! ;)

and about double standards, when giggsy scored against lille we all cheered and rightly so, but when messi scored yesterday, a very few caftards, said it was a sneaky goal

kietotheworld

come on!!! ;)

and about double standards, when giggsy scored against lille we all cheered and rightly so, but when messi scored yesterday, a very few caftards, said it was a sneaky goal
Well it is, and it was when Giggs did as well, and when Beckham did it against Blackburn.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I wonder why the Messi-haters want to avoid comparisons... :rolleyes:

At least comparing him to other players makes much more sense and put things in perspective better than comparing him to the virtual perfect player/prophet.

RedLars

Wait, what was wrong with yesterday's goal? Everyone who's ever played football knows that with a free kick around the box you immediately put a few guys just a couple of yards away from the ball so that the opponents will tell the ref to move it, thus being forced to wait for the whistle.

Everyone who's ever been on a team that's conceded a goal like that, anyways :( Regardless, nothing wrong with the goal at all!

FranklyVulgar

I've got a pretty little mouth underneath all the

It's more the people who use certain examples as a stick to beat a player with or belittle. It's been done to death about the Messi handball goal. Less so with Scholes. More so with Henry...

It's blatantly double standards, it's who is done wrong by the goal. Since a lot of posters are Irish it makes sense for Henry to be castigated. Since a lot of posters are United fans it makes sense for Scholes to not be treated as such.

But in Messis case i don't see a lot of getafe fans. And taking into consideration all the above evidence i think you can quite clearly see that double standards are at play. It's the nature of football, the unbiased impartial individual is a rarity in this sport.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
His goal recalled me. Anyone noticed how many times Nani stood on the ball when our opponents had similar situation from free kick, like that one Messi scored? And how many boo's he got from opposition crowd for doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.