Lionel Messi

VanKenny

I appreciate you could be the foremost scholar on Messi and watch him every game like a hawk but you know just as little as any of us, or anyone in football about how he'd do in the PL because it's hypothetical and no one knows. I hope we see it as well.
I never said i knew how good he would do. Im not Dr. Strange, i cant see the future nor i can jump to alternate realities. He could destroy his knee tomorrow for all i know.

However, you said nobody has an "idea" of how he'd fare, and that is incorrect. Anybody that has seen Messi has an idea of how he would do on the PL under Guardiola, and thats what we were discussing.

MalcolmTucker

I appreciate you could be the foremost scholar on Messi and watch him every game like a hawk but you know just as little as any of us, or anyone in football about how he'd do in the PL because it's hypothetical and no one knows. I hope we see it as well.
Since Messi turned 30, he has 13 goals in 10 games against English opposition - that's a goal every 64 minutes. This isn't against Sheffield United, this is against Pep's City, Klopp's Liverpool and Pochettino's Spurs.

I think he'd cope alright.

tomaldinho1

Since Messi turned 30, he has 13 goals in 10 games against English opposition - that's a goal every 64 minutes. This isn't against Sheffield United, this is against Pep's City, Klopp's Liverpool and Pochettino's Spurs.

I like how, as per is the case on here when people don’t read the chain, my point was he would not replace Fernandes in United’s current system and I would rather City bought him than Haaland or Mbappe and it’s morphed into me being told he’d ‘cope’ in the PL.

Why would it matter how many he scored 4 years ago...I mean come on. Let’s just see if he comes to the PL and we’ll see. I feel my side of the debate is pretty logical (I.e he is a human being and therefore is subject to the effects of ageing) whereas yours/the other posters ignores the fact he’s in the last years of his career. I

MalcolmTucker

I like how, as per is the case on here when people don’t read the chain, my point was he would not replace Fernandes in United’s current system and I would rather City bought him than Haaland or Mbappe and it’s morphed into me being told he’d ‘cope’ in the PL.

Why would it matter how many he scored 4 years ago...I mean come on. Let’s just see if he comes to the PL and we’ll see. I feel my side of the debate is pretty logical (I.e he is a human being and therefore is subject to the effects of ageing) whereas yours/the other posters ignores the fact he’s in the last years of his career. I
I'm not ignoring that he's in the last years of his career, hence only showing his record from the age of 30.

Even if we do it from the age of 32, he still has a goal every 79 minutes against Klopp's Liverpool, Poch's Spurs and us. Does this guarantee he'd dominate the PL if he came here? No. But you could say the same about Haaland and Mbappe and any other player. Considering Messi's record against the top teams in the PL in recent years, we have far stronger arguments for Messi however.

This season he has double the amount of MOTM awards compared to Haaland, Lewandowski, Bruno, Mbappe, Felix and every other player you wish to mention. I think you underrate his current performance level compared to his peers considerably. While technically you're correct in saying 'we don't how Messi would do in the PL', it's a pretty unimaginative argument and could be applied to any form of speculation and this forum would be a pretty dull place without speculation if you ask me!

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Thing is, you make the impression that you don't really follow him closely and that your assessment of him might be caused by a lack of knowledge so people feel the need to correct you. If your point was "I'd pick a young talent over a 34 old because the long term benefits outweigh the short term" it would be different I believe. But it is kind of obvious you don't rate his recent performances as highly as the people you're debating with right now und who might have seen more of him than you have.

So let me put it like that: If he carries his level at 33 years to City, he'd be the best player of the EPL by far. However, since he's 33 that's not a guarantee, for all we know age might catch up with him and he might suddenly regress. But as of now I see no real signs of it. At least not to an extent that would be needed to not be the best in the EPL. Yet, it will inevitably happen in the not so distant future so it still might more sense for City to sign a player like Haaland over him due to his long term perspective, regardless of Messi's undeniable quality right now. Anyway, it could also make sense for the to sign the cherry on the cake for a few years to refine this current era with one of the best players in history, significantly improving their chances on the UCL.

Son

Also add in the fact Barcelona haven’t been anything like their best in that time either so the claims he can only do it in a great team are put to the sword.

He literally nearly put Liverpool out of the Champions League all by himself the year Pool won it.

It’s laughable people doubt his ability. He’s the last player on the entire planet anybody should ever doubt tbh.

Raredaredevil

Does anyone think if we sign him we would win the title? Imagine how much he can uplift the team.

MalcolmTucker

This may be a dumb question but could he and Bruno work together tactically?
We've seen Bruno and Mata strike up a good partnership when Mata played as a roaming inverted winger from the right like Messi does. Mata is basically a diet Messi, so I think it's doable.

I think we'd definitely need to play Cavani and instruct Rashford to make more off the ball runs to make our attack fully functional.

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
At this point of time Messi is a flat track bully. I know some of his fanboys won't admit it but it's true. All of his CL goals came from penalty spot and he hasn't scored a single goal against better teams (bar penalty goals). He is also wastefull has more shots per game than any other player in Euro top 5 leagues.
Not to mention his defensive contibution is pathetic and is along with comicaly bad defence one of the reasons why Barca can't win against better teams. I honestly thing he is having some pshylogical problems. As soons as things don't go his way he just quits, there is absolutely no fight in him. He puts his head down and just stares in the distance. One of the worst captains in world football.
He is still a verry good player of course, but will be 34 in two months, he is visibly declining and he is not prepared to change his game. I would much rather have players like Haaland or Burno in my team and it's not even close.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
At this point of time Messi is a flat track bully. I know some of his fanboys won't admit it but it's true. All of his CL goals came from penalty spot and he hasn't scored a single goal against better teams (bar penalty goals). He is also wastefull has more shots per game than any other player in Euro top 5 leagues.
Not to mention his defensive contibution is pathetic and is along with comicaly bad defence one of the reasons why Barca can't win against better teams. I honestly thing he is having some pshylogical problems. As soons as things don't go his way he just quits, there is absolutely no fight in him. He puts his head down and just stares in the distance. One of the worst captains in world football.
He is still a verry good player of course, but will be 34 in two months, he is visibly declining and he is not prepared to change his game. I would much rather have players like Haaland or Burno in my team and it's not even close.
Everyone is saying it. SAD!

Ladron de redcafe

Supports Real Madrid and calls everyone who doesn't agree with his ridiculous post Messi fanboys.

I'm not Messi fanboy and I can't understand how anyone who watches him play this season can label him a 'flat track bully'. The fact that you've chosen to simply look at goals, with no context regarding how Messi is being utilized this season or the players he's playing sheds light on the fact that you either haven't watched him play recently, or that you simply don't understand the sport.

dinostar77

Its just trolling calling him a flat track bully. Would really love to see him in the PL, unfortunately that would be at City (only nation state backed clubs can afford his financial package).

MalcolmTucker

Flat track bully

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
Supports Real Madrid and calls everyone who doesn't agree with his ridiculous post Messi fanboys.

I'm not Messi fanboy and I can't understand how anyone who watches him play this season can label him a 'flat track bully'. The fact that you've chosen to simply look at goals, with no context regarding how Messi is being utilized this season or the players he's playing sheds light on the fact that you either haven't watched him play recently, or that you simply don't understand the sport.
I have seen every single Barca match this season and I stand with my statement. He was invisible against Real Madrid (can't remember the last time he had a good El Clasico), Atletico, Sevilla (twice), Juve (0-3 defeat)...

He scores a lot against teams like Cadiz, Alaves and the likes. Messi is being utilized they way he wants to be utilized. If you actually think Messi is sacrifising himself for the good of the team then I'm afraid it's you who doesn't understand the sport. Me being Real Madrid hardly disqualifies me from having an unbiased opinion on Messi. I can easily admit he used to give me nightmares and is one of the best players to ever play this sport, but he is simply not that good anymore.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think he is getting back to his usual form, his 2nd goal was against Elche was sublime, probably the one of the best solo goal I have watched this season.

tomaldinho1

Thing is, you make the impression that you don't really follow him closely and that your assessment of him might be caused by a lack of knowledge so people feel the need to correct you. If your point was "I'd pick a young talent over a 34 old because the long term benefits outweigh the short term" it would be different I believe. But it is kind of obvious you don't rate his recent performances as highly as the people you're debating with right now und who might have seen more of him than you have.

So let me put it like that: If he carries his level at 33 years to City, he'd be the best player of the EPL by far. However, since he's 33 that's not a guarantee, for all we know age might catch up with him and he might suddenly regress. But as of now I see no real signs of it. At least not to an extent that would be needed to not be the best in the EPL. Yet, it will inevitably happen in the not so distant future so it still might more sense for City to sign a player like Haaland over him due to his long term perspective, regardless of Messi's undeniable quality right now. Anyway, it could also make sense for the to sign the cherry on the cake for a few years to refine this current era with one of the best players in history, significantly improving their chances on the UCL.
Thing is, you make the impression that you don't really follow him closely and that your assessment of him might be caused by a lack of knowledge so people feel the need to correct you
Potentially the most condescending response I have ever seen on the caf, and that is saying something. Do I have a lack of knowledge or do I simply disagree with your opinion? It doesn't help genuine debate and just makes me assume you're a teenager.

My point is that I do not consider him amongst the best in the world anymore, same with CR7, because age has definitely caught up with them in my opinion. They are still great players, Messi would get into most teams even in his twilight but, ironically, my opinion is based on thinking through how he might fit into City's system (and is therefore surely not only more logical but is a bit more in depth?) whereas your opinion seems to essentially be as basic as he scores a lot of goals in La Liga and has been good in the CL and therefore he will be amazing in the PL. I watch a lot of him, I watch a lot of LL in general and that's my opinion. I have no problem with the fact you think differently.

I'm not ignoring that he's in the last years of his career, hence only showing his record from the age of 30.

Even if we do it from the age of 32, he still has a goal every 79 minutes against Klopp's Liverpool, Poch's Spurs and us. Does this guarantee he'd dominate the PL if he came here? No. But you could say the same about Haaland and Mbappe and any other player. Considering Messi's record against the top teams in the PL in recent years, we have far stronger arguments for Messi however.

This season he has double the amount of MOTM awards compared to Haaland, Lewandowski, Bruno, Mbappe, Felix and every other player you wish to mention. I think you underrate his current performance level compared to his peers considerably. While technically you're correct in saying 'we don't how Messi would do in the PL', it's a pretty unimaginative argument and could be applied to any form of speculation and this forum would be a pretty dull place without speculation if you ask me!
It's more that argument becomes pointless when people are ignoring logic. The only argument everyone seems to have with Messi is he's carrying Barca (they are actually massively accommodating him) and he did x or y in the past against PL teams and therefore, he will do the same again.

How about we actually look at it without any bias and completely rationally. You have a striker whose game has never been based around fitness or physicality, is wonderful with the ball at his feet and will play as a 9 given I think we all agree he's not going to fit as a wide player in Pep's system. Jesus is not an elite striker but his off the ball skillset is exactly what Pep wants and a big part of why City are so hard to break down this season - they are defensively narrower, their front three form a rigid line and it's much more structured - all of their players have to work hard off the ball. So the perfect blend for Pep is going to be finding a better out and out striker, with good workrate and who he won't have to change his system for because it's working a treat.

Haaland fits that system, Kane could fit that system. Mbappe is a bit more doubtful but he's so young maybe they'd tweak for him. Messi does not in my opinion.

I completely understand your point, I just disagree but that's fine because this is a forum and people have different ideas. You think he's still the best in the world, I think he's now probably top 5 or so, it's not that different an opinion. I'd happily further debate but not if the only retort to this is 'but Messi scored x goals when he was 32' or has 'y MOTM' because I don't particularly see how that is relevant.

Ladron de redcafe

I have seen every single Barca match this season and I stand with my statement. He was invisible against Real Madrid (can't remember the last time he had a good El Clasico), Atletico, Sevilla (twice), Juve (0-3 defeat)...

He scores a lot against teams like Cadiz, Alaves and the likes. Messi is being utilized they way he wants to be utilized. If you actually think Messi is sacrifising himself for the good of the team then I'm afraid it's you who doesn't understand the sport. Me being Real Madrid hardly disqualifies me from having an unbiased opinion on Messi. I can easily admit he used to give me nightmares and is one of the best players to ever play this sport, but he is simply not that good anymore.
Sure thing.

Regarding the rest of that drivel, if you think Messi prefers being surrounded and swarmed by a plethora of opposition midfielders every he is asked to build the Barcelona attacks from the half way line, there's no point even having a discussion. You can carrying on calling everyone who thinks you don't understand football a Messi fanboy if it makes you feel better.

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
Sure thing.

Regarding the rest of that drivel, if you think Messi prefers being surrounded and swarmed by a plethora of opposition midfielders every he is asked to build the Barcelona attacks from the half way line, there's no point even having a discussion. You can carrying on calling everyone who thinks you don't understand football a Messi fanboy if it makes you feel better.
And you can keep on pretending that Messi is still among the best in the world and doesn't do a disspearing act everytime things get tough if it makes you feel better.

MalcolmTucker

It's more that argument becomes pointless when people are ignoring logic. The only argument everyone seems to have with Messi is he's carrying Barca (they are actually massively accommodating him) and he did x or y in the past against PL teams and therefore, he will do the same again.

How about we actually look at it without any bias and completely rationally. You have a striker whose game has never been based around fitness or physicality, is wonderful with the ball at his feet and will play as a 9 given I think we all agree he's not going to fit as a wide player in Pep's system. Jesus is not an elite striker but his off the ball skillset is exactly what Pep wants and a big part of why City are so hard to break down this season - they are defensively narrower, their front three form a rigid line and it's much more structured - all of their players have to work hard off the ball. So the perfect blend for Pep is going to be finding a better out and out striker, with good workrate and who he won't have to change his system for because it's working a treat.

Haaland fits that system, Kane could fit that system. Mbappe is a bit more doubtful but he's so young maybe they'd tweak for him. Messi does not in my opinion.

I completely understand your point, I just disagree but that's fine because this is a forum and people have different ideas. You think he's still the best in the world, I think he's now probably top 5 or so, it's not that different an opinion. I'd happily further debate but not if the only retort to this is 'but Messi scored x goals when he was 32' or has 'y MOTM' because I don't particularly see how that is relevant.
Man City's forwards work smart, not hard. Their forwards don't press like madmen, but apply considered positional pressure as a team. I think Messi fits in as a forward in Pep's system very well, we've seen him score 73 goals in a season under Pep and he wasn't racking up 13km games back then either - I'll guess we will have to wait and see whether Pep agrees or not in the summer window.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Potentially the most condescending response I have ever seen on the caf, and that is saying something. Do I have a lack of knowledge or do I simply disagree with your opinion? It doesn't help genuine debate and just makes me assume you're a teenager.

My point is that I do not consider him amongst the best in the world anymore, same with CR7, because age has definitely caught up with them in my opinion. They are still great players, Messi would get into most teams even in his twilight but, ironically, my opinion is based on thinking through how he might fit into City's system (and is therefore surely not only more logical but is a bit more in depth?) whereas your opinion seems to essentially be as basic as he scores a lot of goals in La Liga and has been good in the CL and therefore he will be amazing in the PL. I watch a lot of him, I watch a lot of LL in general and that's my opinion. I have no problem with the fact you think differently.

Alright then, let's go into detail.

First, I disagree completely that your opinion is more logical and more in depth since the only point you make is that Messi is 34 next summer. I'd like you to be a little bit more specific: In which areas did he regress in your opinion and how does this affect his game?

Because I watch a lot of Messi and I also watch lots of international football, especially from players that arise my interest. And if I don't get to watch them live, I try to keep up with their performances by watching videos of them - not those highlight reels but the compilations which show every touch they had in the game. Based on this I still struggle to see a player who's as good of a dribbler as Messi currently is. Neymar comes pretty close but he lacks the upper body strength and anticipation Messi has, so he rarely has those typical Messi situations in which he beats multiple players although there's seemingly no space at all. I also think that no player possesses the passing ability Messi has, not even de Bruyne. Even more so since Messi's dribbling ability allows him to create much more space for himself and also forces opponent players to keep a certain distance when defending him. In recent times, he combined those traits with excellent finishing and this is in fact the only discipline in which I saw a decline. He's not as composed and precise as he used to be in the last seasons. This also reflects in the in depth KPIs by the way. He's currently outperforming his xG only slightly (0.71) while he was at 4.15, 10.00, 5.05 and 10.11in the last four seasons. And although this is very bad by his standards, it's still significantly better than the xGs of many players he's compared with like Mbappe (0.52) or Neymar (underperforming by 2.98). A quick research shows that the remaining stats also back up my impressions as Messi also wins most dribbles per game in La Liga with 4.2 (#1 in top 5 leagues) , is second for deadly passes per game with 2.1 and has created the most big chances with 13. Also got the most man of the match awards and the highest average WhoScored rating.

Those things aside, I believe your age argument is also pretty superficial. If you actually followed the twilight years of former worldclass players closely in recent seasons, you can see that the supposed decline in pace, acceleration, agility etc. can't really be witnessed. Take Robben and Ribery for example who at 35 years of age still were the best wingers for Bayern Munich, ahead of Douglas Costa and Coman. The reasons for their decline were not that they couldn't dribble and pass as they used to do but that injuries made them very unreliable squad members. However, as long as a player can stay injury free and maintains a good physical shape we can see that they can play brillantly up until their mid to late 30s, see Ibrahimovic, Cristiano, Modric, Ramos, etc.

Now the remaining question is: How would Messi fit into City's system?

Generally speaking, Messi already played in a Guardiola system and it arguably elevated him to heights unseen before. Moreover, I think I proved my point that in terms of abilities Messi hasn't really regressed as of now so if you believe that he doesn't fit into their playing style, I tend to see the burden of prove on your side of the argument. This is also supported that if City really signs Messi, the acting officials are obviously convinced that they can fit him in, so you're essentially not only arguing me but Guardiola himself.

Anyway, I believe this video by Tifo, even if it's a bit older, is a great assessment of the situation and it fully reflects my opinion on the matter:

IMO, Messi would excell with all this movement around him and he could play in a whole bunch of positions for them. I think he'd work great with players with great off the ball movement and deep runs such as Sterling and Gündogan. He could play as an inverted forward on the right with Sterling on the left in a Pedro like role. He could also play as a false 9 like he used to with Gündogan adapting the role Fabregas played for Barcelona as a "false 10". Or he could move into one of the central positions and take responsibilities off de Bruyne, since in possession de Bruyne is already very reminiscent of Messi's traditional way of playing. Obviously those things would require tactical adjustments but this is true for every new player in the starting eleven. They might be more drastic since it's Messi and it might mean that de Bruyne has less freedom and Bernardo Silva could see less game time but since Messi is a far superior player to both of them, I'm very positive that it would strengthen them immensely.

His work rate also never posed a problem under Pep. In fact, it was Pep who adviced him to run less to save his energy for the important moments. Messi averaging 8 km per game might be highlighted now but even under Guardiola he never ran more than that.

Last edited:

Pocho

I think he is getting back to his usual form, his 2nd goal was against Elche was sublime, probably the one of the best solo goal I have watched this season.
How fun could be watching him playing along Ronaldo at Juve? Two years.

dinostar77

Messi approaching the twilight of his career isnt in doubt. However he is still playing to a high standard. If he goes to City or PSG they will build a system to get the best out of him.

As for who are the contenders for the best players this season. Thats always been debatable and the voting for balon d'or not reflecting reality i.e. snjeider not getting the trophy the season inter did the treble and holland got to the WC final.

Lets see where Messi ends up in the voting for balon d'or later on this season.

I will say though of he comes to PL he will be the outstanding player in the league. I really want him in the PL. It gives us a different competitive league to judge him in.

tomaldinho1

Man City's forwards work smart, not hard. Their forwards don't press like madmen, but apply considered positional pressure as a team. I think Messi fits in as a forward in Pep's system very well, we've seen him score 73 goals in a season under Pep and he wasn't racking up 13km games back then either - I'll guess we will have to wait and see whether Pep agrees or not in the summer window.
Agreed, their press is now much more compact and that also means they usually win the ball back deeper than before and really suits an athletic forward line. Again, I'm not saying Messi is on a zimmer frame I personally just think he wouldn't be No1 pick for that system. A lot of time has passed since that season where he scored 73 goals and for me Haaland or Kane would make them stronger overall.

Alright then, let's go into detail.
Just to condense your post, you are saying:
  • You watch a lot of Messi & here are some stats.
  • Robben/Ribery example plus Ibra, CR7 (not putting others as completely different positions and better to focus on attacking players)
  • Here's a video of how he could work for City + that's how you think he would fit in. (I'm going to ignore the Messi>KDB comment for the sake of efficiency in this reply)
A lot of people on the caf watch a lot of football - it's great you do as well - but what you have presented here doesn't in any way disprove my point, that I believe City would be better signing a striker like Haaland or Kane. You have gone to great lengths and I appreciate the time you have put in here but his dribbling stats, xG, key passes etc. are exactly what you'd expect given that team is built around him. The question about Messi at this age is not about his offensive output, it is a question about how detrimental his accommodation is to the wider team?

Whenever someone tries to argue for Messi still being the GOAT, they always only focus on the offensive stats and ignore/aren't aware of how much Barcelona currently sacrifice to allow him to maintain his output. If he's smashing in 70+ goals a season all is dandy but his recent stats from this season paint a different picture.
  1. Messi has not scored a single CL goal from open play. A single goal. In a system that is built around him and where he has complete attacking free reign. Haaland has 6 from open play for reference.
  2. Across all competitions without Messi, Barcelona have only conceded a single goal from open play (Eibar - which was an awful individual error). Let's assess these stats in more details:
La LigaWith MessiWithout Messi
Goals Scored (av per game)50 (2)3 (1.5)
Goals Conceded (av per game)21 (0.84)1 (0.5)
Average Points1.842

The above hints at how much better defensively Barcelona are without him but the obvious retort here is the sample size is way too small, which is true, so let's look at the combined cups as well so it's more fair:

CL/CdR/SCWith MessiWithout Messi
Goals Scored (av per game)22 (2.44)10 (2.5)
Goals Conceded (av per game)15 (1.66)1 (0.25)
Average Points15 (1.66)10 (2.5)

Combined this gives us a decent amount of games across different comps and different levels of opposition. What you can see, very clearly, is Barcelona are much better defensively without Messi although this probably isn't a surprise to most football fans who watch them, even irregularly. What is surprising is they are actually better offensively for goals scored as well...combining all comps it is 2.16 goals p/g without versus 2.11 goals p/g with Messi.

On Robben/Ribery and older player examples - I'm not one of the caf posters who thinks anyone past 30 is essentially retired but there are very few examples of 34 year old coming to the PL and being successful. I understand Messi is better than any who have made that transition previously but he's hardly known for his fitness. Ibra is a fitness nutter and his game is completely different to Messi's so I don't see why you'd compare them (he also wasn't that successful if you think Martial scored more than him last season), CR7 is the same and made the wise move of going to Serie A. Ribery and Robben were great players but there's no way a top PL would be in for them when they were mid thirties, Ribery is now always injured and hardly setting the Serie A alight with Fiorentina and that's a slower league that tends to suit older players. Look at Cavani, he is 34 and also a fitness freak but he's struggling to score loads of goals - City are obviously better at creating chances than United but the PL is a hard league physically and whilst I am sure Messi would do well, I doubt he'd be as good as other signings could be. That's my whole point.

I like Tifo football, it's a good channel with some good information but, again, I don't see how any of that is relevant to my point which is I think City would be better signing a select few other players.

As an aside please let me know if any of the above data is incorrect, I have a big spreadsheet I use for betting and double checked this with WhoScored/Transfermarkt so am hopeful to have avoided human error.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Agreed, their press is now much more compact and that also means they usually win the ball back deeper than before and really suits an athletic forward line. Again, I'm not saying Messi is on a zimmer frame I personally just think he wouldn't be No1 pick for that system. A lot of time has passed since that season where he scored 73 goals and for me Haaland or Kane would make them stronger overall.

Just to condense your post, you are saying:
  • You watch a lot of Messi & here are some stats.
  • Robben/Ribery example plus Ibra, CR7 (not putting others as completely different positions and better to focus on attacking players)
  • Here's a video of how he could work for City + that's how you think he would fit in. (I'm going to ignore the Messi>KDB comment for the sake of efficiency in this reply)
A lot of people on the caf watch a lot of football - it's great you do as well - but what you have presented here doesn't in any way disprove my point, that I believe City would be better signing a striker like Haaland or Kane. You have gone to great lengths and I appreciate the time you have put in here but his dribbling stats, xG, key passes etc. are exactly what you'd expect given that team is built around him. The question about Messi at this age is not about his offensive output, it is a question about how detrimental his accommodation is to the wider team?

Whenever someone tries to argue for Messi still being the GOAT, they always only focus on the offensive stats and ignore/aren't aware of how much Barcelona currently sacrifice to allow him to maintain his output. If he's smashing in 70+ goals a season all is dandy but his recent stats from this season paint a different picture.
  1. Messi has not scored a single CL goal from open play. A single goal. In a system that is built around him and where he has complete attacking free reign. Haaland has 6 from open play for reference.
  2. Across all competitions without Messi, Barcelona have only conceded a single goal from open play (Eibar - which was an awful individual error). Let's assess these stats in more details:
La LigaWith MessiWithout Messi
Goals Scored (av per game)50 (2)3 (1.5)
Goals Conceded (av per game)21 (0.84)1 (0.5)
Average Points1.842

The above hints at how much better defensively Barcelona are without him but the obvious retort here is the sample size is way too small, which is true, so let's look at the combined cups as well so it's more fair:

CL/CdR/SCWith MessiWithout Messi
Goals Scored (av per game)22 (2.44)10 (2.5)
Goals Conceded (av per game)15 (1.66)1 (0.25)
Average Points15 (1.66)10 (2.5)

Combined this gives us a decent amount of games across different comps and different levels of opposition. What you can see, very clearly, is Barcelona are much better defensively without Messi although this probably isn't a surprise to most football fans who watch them, even irregularly. What is surprising is they are actually better offensively for goals scored as well...combining all comps it is 2.16 goals p/g without versus 2.11 goals p/g with Messi.

On Robben/Ribery and older player examples - I'm not one of the caf posters who thinks anyone past 30 is essentially retired but there are very few examples of 34 year old coming to the PL and being successful. I understand Messi is better than any who have made that transition previously but he's hardly known for his fitness. Ibra is a fitness nutter and his game is completely different to Messi's so I don't see why you'd compare them (he also wasn't that successful if you think Martial scored more than him last season), CR7 is the same and made the wise move of going to Serie A. Ribery and Robben were great players but there's no way a top PL would be in for them when they were mid thirties, Ribery is now always injured and hardly setting the Serie A alight with Fiorentina and that's a slower league that tends to suit older players. Look at Cavani, he is 34 and also a fitness freak but he's struggling to score loads of goals - City are obviously better at creating chances than United but the PL is a hard league physically and whilst I am sure Messi would do well, I doubt he'd be as good as other signings could be. That's my whole point.

I like Tifo football, it's a good channel with some good information but, again, I don't see how any of that is relevant to my point which is I think City would be better signing a select few other players.

As an aside please let me know if any of the above data is incorrect, I have a big spreadsheet I use for betting and double checked this with WhoScored/Transfermarkt so am hopeful to have avoided human error.
Come on man, you've pointed out that the sample size of two games without Messi is too small yourself, then you go on and pretend 6 is enough? Also, you assume that those samples are randomized but they're not. Messi is obviously more likely to miss the easy games since they can do without him in those match ups. Precisely, he missed 7 games this season: Kiew, Ferencvaros, Eibar, Elche, Cornelia and Sociedad. I don't think I have to elaborate that any further.

From a more general perspective, Messi's defensive contribution hasn't changed since his break through at all. So if that's such a drastic problem as you describe it, it has always been the case. Barca dealt with it and City will, too. Moreover, you're ignoring the fact that having Messi on the pitch completely change the way an opponent sets up. We've seen countless times how a game changed 180° after Messi was subbed in. And also, I believe those work rate stats are pretty superficial. I once read that although Messi is one of the players with the least kms on the clock on average, he's also one of those who make the most fast runs and sprints. He also has quite many recoveries and possession wins. He's very good at applying pressure when he chooses to do so.

I also think you break it down to me posting stats too much. I explicitly said that those quantitative stats support my qualitative assessment of his performances. He still is the best dribbler in the world for me and as I said, I follow many players very closely you could deem his closest competitors in this discipline.

And I'm not arguing your point that Haaland etc. might be better signings given the long term perspective. I'm arguing against you don't seeing him as the best in the world anymore and saying he has declined when my personal observations tell me the exact opposite.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
This is just crazy to me. There's no doubt whatsoever who the better player was/is but Bruno's role at United would be awful for Messi at 33, nearly 34 years old. Bruno covers so much ground, puts in a lot of pressing, never holds onto the ball, rarely in a position to dribble at defenders and whilst it's a free role he's like a box2box, AM, CM,No10 all rolled into one messy (no pun intended) high energy ball of erratic magnificence. It'd be like resigning CR7 and paying him in the vacant RW spot at his age, they would just not suit the system.
I mean he's one of the greatest to have played the game. I wasn't considering swapping them and taking into account their ages etc But who I'd want in my team right now - Messi and it's not even close. Yes, he wouldn't run as much as Bruno nor as much as a 24 year old Messi who used to harry and chase under Pep. However, he is a complete one-off in my time watching football and a complete genius. As much as Bruno get s us off our bums once a match, Messi does it numerous times per game. He's that special, even if, naturally, he's slowed down a tad.

Obviously when it comes to the long term I'd pick the likes of Bruno, or among the other arguments, Sancho, Mbappe Haaland, as you can't justify picking a 33 year old over them. We aren't going to win the league in the next 2 years no matter who we sign so the long term is more crucial in our case especially.

tomaldinho1

Come on man, you've pointed out that the sample size of two games without Messi is too small yourself, then you go on and pretend 6 is enough? Also, you assume that those samples are randomized but they're not. Messi is obviously more likely to miss the easy games since they can do without him in those match ups. Precisely, he missed 7 games this season: Kiew, Ferencvaros, Eibar, Elche, Cornelia and Sociedad. I don't think I have to elaborate that any further.

From a more general perspective, Messi's defensive contribution hasn't changed since his break through at all. So if that's such a drastic problem as you describe it, it has always been the case. Barca dealt with it and City will, too. Moreover, you're ignoring the fact that having Messi on the pitch completely change the way an opponent sets up. We've seen countless times how a game changed 180° after Messi was subbed in. And also, I believe those work rate stats are pretty superficial. I once read that although Messi is one of the players with the least kms on the clock on average, he's also one of those who make the most fast runs and sprints. He also has quite many recoveries and possession wins. He's very good at applying pressure when he chooses to do so.

I also think you break it down to me posting stats too much. I explicitly said that those quantitative stats support my qualitative assessment of his performances. He still is the best dribbler in the world for me and as I said, I follow many players very closely you could deem his closest competitors in this discipline.

And I'm not arguing your point that Haaland etc. might be better signings given the long term perspective. I'm arguing against you don't seeing him as the best in the world anymore and saying he has declined when my personal observations tell me the exact opposite.
Sample size is the same size, I can't change that. the quality debate works both ways as he generally fills his boots versus the chaff and when we look at the mirror games (i.e the CL games where you have 2 games H & Away) the stats make for direct comparison. They conceded in both games versus Kiev & Ferencvaros and scored 2 + 5 with him whereas in those exact same games without him they conceded 0 and scored 4 + 3.

Can you provide evidence for the bolded bit, would be interesting to see for this season compared to previous.

My point has been the same for this entire conversation, that City would be weaker with him overall than if they signed a select few other players - in my mind Haaland, Kane and probably Mbappe as well. Maybe Neymar but not as convinced there. The fact Haaland would be better longer term is so obvious it shouldn't need to be said, my point is he's actually, in my opinion, likely a better option right now as well.

If this was 18/19 or prior I'd be inclined to agree with you but it's not.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Sample size is the same size, I can't change that. the quality debate works both ways as he generally fills his boots versus the chaff and when we look at the mirror games (i.e the CL games where you have 2 games H & Away) the stats make for direct comparison. They conceded in both games versus Kiev & Ferencvaros and scored 2 + 5 with him whereas in those exact same games without him they conceded 0 and scored 4 + 3.

Can you provide evidence for the bolded bit, would be interesting to see for this season compared to previous.

My point has been the same for this entire conversation, that City would be weaker with him overall than if they signed a select few other players - in my mind Haaland, Kane and probably Mbappe as well. Maybe Neymar but not as convinced there. The fact Haaland would be better longer term is so obvious it shouldn't need to be said, my point is he's actually, in my opinion, likely a better option right now as well.

If this was 18/19 or prior I'd be inclined to agree with you but it's not.
Regarding the stats: Unfortunately not. I already searched the web multiple times but I can only find secondary sources for covered kilometres (articles, tickers, broadcasts, etc.) and usually only for teams, not individuals. Stats regarding fast runs are even rarer. I suppose those things aren't included in the free or basic plans of the APIs most stats websites use.

Regarding productivity against top teams: I think this is generally an issue related to the quality of the team one plays in. I for instance believe that Messi's and Cristiano's goal records are hugely inflated by them playing in far and away the most dominant teams in their leagues. If your team is able to dominate the opposition, it's easier for you to pad your stats. However, when youre being outplayed it becomes very hard to score or assist. That's not only regarding Messi but also other top players. Mbappe has had some painfully average games for example when the opponent outplayed PSG. See the final for example, where Neymar and Mbappe almost exclusively received the ball in harmless areas and weren't granted space or time on the ball. This is a pattern you see a lot with Messi, too. He drops so deep nowadays that the amounts of easy goals he scores become lesser and lesser every season. In recent years, the stunners he scored seemingly outweighed the tap ins and easy goals. That's the main difference to the Guardiola days and it's also the reason why his xG rating was so much ahead of everyone else in this time period. He's an incredible finisher from around 15-20 metres and since he doesn't get many chances from very probable positions these days, it hugely affects his xG.

Regarding Haaland and co.: I think it's a completely different topic to debate. The one point I was arguing is that Messi is still individually the best player out there and I doubt any player you mentioned will even achieve the level Messi currently possesses. That being said, of course the long term perspective is better with Haaland and co. since they possibly offer 10+ years of elite performances while Messi even if everything goes ideally offers maybe 3-4. However, after his contract was leaked, I dived a bit into the whole marketability and accouting stuff surrounding the deal as well as the studies who claimed he was responsible for 30% of Barca's returns. Apparently Barca was so keen on keeping him for another year since he's their cash cow and clauses in the contracts of their sponsors determine that the payments go down up to 50% if he doesn't play or even leaves the club. If you assume that City can negotiate similar clauses, the signing of Messi might make a Haaland transfer possible without breaching FFP rules, for isntance. Most likely, the deal will significantly increase City's leeway regarding financial fair play.

tomaldinho1

Regarding the stats: Unfortunately not. I already searched the web multiple times but I can only find secondary sources for covered kilometres (articles, tickers, broadcasts, etc.) and usually only for teams, not individuals. Stats regarding fast runs are even rarer. I suppose those things aren't included in the free or basic plans of the APIs most stats websites use.

Regarding productivity against top teams: I think this is generally an issue related to the quality of the team one plays in. I for instance believe that Messi's and Cristiano's goal records are hugely inflated by them playing in far and away the most dominant teams in their leagues. If your team is able to dominate the opposition, it's easier for you to pad your stats. However, when youre being outplayed it becomes very hard to score or assist. That's not only regarding Messi but also other top players. Mbappe has had some painfully average games for example when the opponent outplayed PSG. See the final for example, where Neymar and Mbappe almost exclusively received the ball in harmless areas and weren't granted space or time on the ball. This is a pattern you see a lot with Messi, too. He drops so deep nowadays that the amounts of easy goals he scores become lesser and lesser every season. In recent years, the stunners he scored seemingly outweighed the tap ins and easy goals. That's the main difference to the Guardiola days and it's also the reason why his xG rating was so much ahead of everyone else in this time period. He's an incredible finisher from around 15-20 metres and since he doesn't get many chances from very probable positions these days, it hugely affects his xG.

Regarding Haaland and co.: I think it's a completely different topic to debate. The one point I was arguing is that Messi is still individually the best player out there and I doubt any player you mentioned will even achieve the level Messi currently possesses. That being said, of course the long term perspective is better with Haaland and co. since they possibly offer 10+ years of elite performances while Messi even if everything goes ideally offers maybe 3-4. However, after his contract was leaked, I dived a bit into the whole marketability and accouting stuff surrounding the deal as well as the studies who claimed he was responsible for 30% of Barca's returns. Apparently Barca was so keen on keeping him for another year since he's their cash cow and clauses in the contracts of their sponsors determine that the payments go down up to 50% if he doesn't play or even leaves the club. If you assume that City can negotiate similar clauses, the signing of Messi might make a Haaland transfer possible without breaching FFP rules, for isntance. Most likely, the deal will significantly increase City's leeway regarding financial fair play.
Yh most are now behind a paywall - there used be good info on high intensity sprint and possess recoveries in certain areas for free but all is monetised now and, as much as I love football stats, I have a normal job and not enough time to make paying for that worth it! Would be really interesting to see though.

I agree on all that you write below - particularly with regards to inflated stats form being in powerhouse teams in LL. I actually struggle to think of a better finisher than Messi (maybe Lewa, probably his best mate Aguero) but I guess I just don't think he's at the top of the pile anymore as an all round player. City would be a better overall team if they signed Haaland, Kane or maybe Mbappe in my opinion than Messi. In all these instances they'd score a shit load of goals but overall I think Messi makes them the weakest.

City can pay him whatever they want in fairness, FFP are hiding under a rock now.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yh most are now behind a paywall - there used be good info on high intensity sprint and possess recoveries in certain areas for free but all is monetised now and, as much as I love football stats, I have a normal job and not enough time to make paying for that worth it! Would be really interesting to see though.

I agree on all that you write below - particularly with regards to inflated stats form being in powerhouse teams in LL. I actually struggle to think of a better finisher than Messi (maybe Lewa, probably his best mate Aguero) but I guess I just don't think he's at the top of the pile anymore as an all round player. City would be a better overall team if they signed Haaland, Kane or maybe Mbappe in my opinion than Messi. In all these instances they'd score a shit load of goals but overall I think Messi makes them the weakest.

City can pay him whatever they want in fairness, FFP are hiding under a rock now.
But in what areas do you think he has regressed? You here that a lot but usually not from people who actually watch him play. Sure, he's maybe not his 2012 90 goals a year self anymore but I struggle to see how he's any worse than say 5 years ago.

PaulScholes99

But in what areas do you think he has regressed? You here that a lot but usually not from people who actually watch him play. Sure, he's maybe not his 2012 90 goals a year self anymore but I struggle to see how he's any worse than say 5 years ago.
Nearly every good team shuts him down completely nowadays. I know you will probably say it is only because Barcelona as a team is so bad and they can all focus on Messi but that is not true.
Messi used to be the best in nearly every (offensive) metric. Not i think his finishing regressed a lot. His dribbling is still incredibly good but used to be even better. His passing was better the last few years in my opinion, lots of missplaced passes this season. Just look up in which games Messi scored this year and in which he didn't. Futhermore he is quite lazy. Compare him with attackers from Man City, Liverpool, Bayern. They all work hard for the team. Messi doesn't.
Still a fantastic footballer but definitely not as good as 5 years ago.

tomaldinho1

For me watching him he's just that little bit slower, little bit less dynamic and, although his apparent unhappiness might be a factor here, a lot less bothered. It's harder for him to change games against the better teams.

Ask yourself this. If his name wasn't Messi and he'd randomly just been found at an older age and you saw him with no prior knowledge this season, would you think he is the best footballer in the world? I'd personally think, who is this phenomenal player and how good must he have been in his pomp.

As said, I'm not saying he's past it, it's just that I would put a few choice players above him if we are hypothetically discussing who is the best signing for Pep's City. I'd think the same for United (probably even more so given how we play) and any other PL team.

NasirTimothy

Supports
Enyimba F.C.
Nearly every good team shuts him down completely nowadays. I know you will probably say it is only because Barcelona as a team is so bad and they can all focus on Messi but that is not true.
Messi used to be the best in nearly every (offensive) metric. Not i think his finishing regressed a lot. His dribbling is still incredibly good but used to be even better. His passing was better the last few years in my opinion, lots of missplaced passes this season. Just look up in which games Messi scored this year and in which he didn't. Futhermore he is quite lazy. Compare him with attackers from Man City, Liverpool, Bayern. They all work hard for the team. Messi doesn't.
Still a fantastic footballer but definitely not as good as 5 years ago.
That is true though

Womp

idiot
He should have forced his way out of Barcelona a few years back now imo. The way that team is run makes us look like the best run club on the planet. Spent large sums on absolute dross, big names that they don't know how to implement into the team/where to play. Players that don't compliment each other at all. They ain't going anywhere anytime quick too, with the financial struggles

Messi or not, ain't nobody winning anything in those conditions

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
For me watching him he's just that little bit slower, little bit less dynamic and, although his apparent unhappiness might be a factor here, a lot less bothered. It's harder for him to change games against the better teams.

Ask yourself this. If his name wasn't Messi and he'd randomly just been found at an older age and you saw him with no prior knowledge this season, would you think he is the best footballer in the world? I'd personally think, who is this phenomenal player and how good must he have been in his pomp.

As said, I'm not saying he's past it, it's just that I would put a few choice players above him if we are hypothetically discussing who is the best signing for Pep's City. I'd think the same for United (probably even more so given how we play) and any other PL team.
Yes, absolutely. Bar Neymar, Messi is streets ahead of everyone else. And Neymar while also incredible on his day is still relatively clearly inferior to him in every attacking discipline. And from the current bunch of super talents, I can only see Sancho and Felix becoming as good as Neymar.

KwokSF

Messi is still clinical at his age, as far as I know he still can play the false 9 well under pep system, I dun see how he cannot be an asset to that city team. As well oiled the city team right now is, we know they can miss a silly amount of good chances. Jesus, sterling and mahrez are all culpable. It's hard to not see messi giving them an edge.

tomaldinho1

Yes, absolutely. Bar Neymar, Messi is streets ahead of everyone else. And Neymar while also incredible on his day is still relatively clearly inferior to him in every attacking discipline. And from the current bunch of super talents, I can only see Sancho and Felix becoming as good as Neymar.
Fair enough and I disagree for the reasons I have given. i do hope we see him in the PL though.