Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkXaero

I'd rather not have a player (Messi or Ronaldo) who are in the twilight of their careers and become the main focus of the club for the media. I hope the club keeps the Sancho route open who is by all accounts the future.
Messi is still the best player in the world though, and our direct rivals (City) might be favorites to get him if he leaves. If we get Messi, we could be favorites to win the title, that's his potential impact. Considering that Sancho is proving to be very expensive either, I think we should consider the Messi route seriously. The Sancho route can remain open.

BarcaSpurs

Only a few can afford his massive wages.
Even if its a million a week that's only 52 mil for a season, 104 for 2, 156 for 3. A lot of top clubs could afford 60m+ in a transfer fee +10 mil a year in wages so don't see why they wouldn't be able to find the money for one of the most prestigious transfers in football history.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
If you can get the GOAT for free (no transfer fee i mean) then you should do whatever to sign him. Juve payed 33y old Ronaldo 100mil plus wages ffs.
Yes, Messi's wage is huge but he would be signing who would lift this club's reputation on maximum level again. Not to mention comercial impact. I am not talking about shirts of course. But our shares would go to the sky and we could get much better sponsor deals than we have. And he is still fantastic player.

Signing Messi is no brainer for any big football club. I never was his fanboy but watching the undisputed goat in your club....

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's interesting those reports from Spain came out a few hours ago about United being in for Messi then it all comes out about him officially asking to leave.

A man can dream.

Thiagoal

Can’t see him wanting to move to a physical league at his age! Also can’t see him joining a club that is not the finished article. As such, he has got PSG written all over him

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
The long awaited question could be answered : Can Messi do it on a wet,windy night away to Stoke ?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s probably a bit daft to even think about this scenario but I genuinely think from a squad building and progress point of view it’s the last thing United should even consider right now.

I realise it’s Lionel Messi we are talking about but a 33 years old who has played in a single team, league and effectively system his entire career, the risk he would present relative to the money he would cost is still too big for me.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Is he good mates with Rojo? He might have some use after all.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Even if its a million a week that's only 52 mil for a season, 104 for 2, 156 for 3. A lot of top clubs could afford 60m+ in a transfer fee +10 mil a year in wages so don't see why they wouldn't be able to find the money for one of the most prestigious transfers in football history.
Wouldn't it totally upset the wage structure of one player is getting 3 times more then anyone else?

I know he's the best player ever, but still, he can get away with it at Barca cos he is a club legend and basically is Barcelona... Other clubs don't have that luxury.

Irrational.

Can you imagine if he ends up at Inter - the thought of him threading intricate, inch-perfect balls into Lukaku and McTimberlands miscontrolling them into the opposition then blaming Messi with his arms out would be rather amusing.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I'd say he's looking for a raise, but he's already on monumentally stupid money which is bankrupting his club. So it can't be that.

Am thinking it's just a power play. Maybe he can be the first player/ CEO

Josep Dowling

I don't see him going to France. It's England or Itally imo. Us, Cheaty or Inter.
There is absolutely no chance he’s coming to us. It will be Man City or nothing. I don’t think he will leave, he’s just trying to demand change in the hierarchy at Barcelona.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
I see a bunch of people mentioning Tom Brady and comparing the situations. As an American who closely follows the NFL, this situation is way different. Brady is nearly 45 years old and way past his best. His list of suitors was tiny. Messi is still arguably the best in the world and will have a long queue of suitors. Brady essentially fell into the Glazers' lap. They didn't beat out 10 other teams by a massive show of ambition like they'd need to do here with Messi.

Robertd0803

Ok while Messi may be one of the top 2 players in the world, could an argument be made that Barca would be better off rebuilding without him?

Ok it will probably hurt in the short term but removing his insane amount of power and influence off the pitch while trying to develop a more coherent team on it might not be the worst idea in the world?

Or he leaves/retires and they fall apart instead which is hopefully what happens.

Infra-red

City signing Messi in the year that they ended Financial Fair Play, would certainly be one hell of a two fingers to UEFA.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Surely he'll have an idea of where he wants to go already?

I've always seen him at Inter but can't see how they afford his wages?

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
If he wants to come get him. He would instantly be our best player for the next 2/3 years. That is worth it. Also having the goat play for your team. Come on, a man can dream.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Finally!!, and after a 2-8. My bet would be Inter, but my heart only thinks about a Figo :lol:

cyberman

I see a bunch of people mentioning Tom Brady and comparing the situations. As an American who closely follows the NFL, this situation is way different. Brady is nearly 45 years old and way past his best. His list of suitors was tiny. Messi is still arguably the best in the world and will have a long queue of suitors. Brady essentially fell into the Glazers' lap. They didn't beat out 10 other teams by a massive show of ambition like they'd need to do here with Messi.
Long queue? Itll be tiny with the money involved

kitress

Sancho is nice and all. But 30 years from now, nobody cares if he plays for United or not. But Messi playing for Manchester United, that echoes in eternity.

Do it, Woody.

Cloud7

Hm, so now we see the real reason why the Sancho transfer has stalled, because we were keeping our eyes on the Messi situation. Woody playing 4D chess before our eyes :lol:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Exactly this. And he is magnet for sponsors. And he is still top player. People making too much fuss about his wage while clubs give 200k for "normal" players and pay 60, 70, 80 mil transfer fees for them.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Sign messi this year and not sign anyone for the next 2 years

Sign 3 middle/high tier players within this window and build a great squad

What would we do

Status
Not open for further replies.