Lionel Messi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Exactly, he was just posturing..if he wanted to leave that badly, he could have left (~100M). Barcelona needs money, all LaLiga teams need money. Now they will watch Messi leave for free? Barcelona pres was praying for Messi to take this court (to then put the full blame on Messi while getting ~100M from City).
Jesus, you're right! Better call Messi, he might have missed that. And when you're at it, also call Bartomeu because he doesn't seem to know that either.

Rolaholic

Exactly, he was just posturing..if he wanted to leave that badly, he could have left (~100M). Barcelona needs money, all LaLiga teams need money. Now they will watch Messi leave for free? Barcelona pres was praying for Messi to take this court (to then put the full blame on Messi while getting ~100M from City).
The whole crux of the issue here is that they reportedyl went back on their word of allowing him an amicable exit this summer and will only let him leave for 700m. Not 100m + players, not 150m nothing.

If they were willing to accept 100m this wouldn't even be an issue anymore and he'd likely be heading off to City already

Redcy

Messi doesn’t want to leave. Never did. City were a tool he could use to pressure them.

He legally has to use the burofax to terminate the contract. The board refused to acknowledge that his contract was no longer valid. He NEVER wanted to leave for free, he wanted Barca to negotiate with City for a transfer fee less than the 700M. City don't want a lawsuit, and Barca refuse to sell for less than 700M.
Of course he wanted to leave for free.

If city have to pay a fee, which perhaps might be in the region of £100m the deal doesn’t make sense, especially if they can sign him next season.

RedDevilUnited369

sorry I should clarify.

Im astounded that this is happening in public. And the direct shots at the President is a sackable offense at any other club in the world...is it not?

cyberman

He didnt consider hinself to he under contract, tried to bully the club into leaving for free then claimed he wanted Barca to get a fee?
Then claims he had Barcas interest at heart?
Well played thr board. Fecking Rooney got more shit for a fraction of this and he saw the writing on the wall before this. Maybe Wayne should have waited until 2013 then he would be a hero?

Devil81

sorry I should clarify.

Im astounded that this is happening in public. And the direct shots at the President is a sackable offense at any other club in the world...is it not?
Insane to say this but Messi is now bigger than Barca, he's walking all over them.

Who else could treat their employers as badly and still know the whole team will be built around him.

Koeman is a dead man walking already, Messi will want him gone and the club and eventual new president will follow his wishes. I expect Xavi before the season ends.

Devil81

Also you've got to give credit to Real Madrid, they avoided this circus by letting Ronaldo go before he started to decline. Imagine Ronaldo in decline calling the shots.

trims

Supports
Arsenal
Messi made the mistake of spending money on expensive lawyers when he could've just hired you to run the negotiations.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
So predictable. There will be a new president / board and Messi will stay probably even beyond next season

Jericho

Well thank feck for that I suppose, he was only on his way to city anyway. Now we just have to hope he declines dramatically before he goes there next year!

clarkydaz

Am i being naive here. i always thought the player was an employee of the club, not the other way around. for Messi to tell his employers they need to go????

truly the player is bigger than the club in this instance
Whats the worst that can happen here mate? They tear up his contract and kick him out of the club :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
sorry I should clarify.

Their president is a clown the fans want gone, and Messi is their greatest and one of the greatest ever and one of the greatest ever. If anything the fans will appreciate him calling out Bartemeu. As for sacking Messi, isn't that what he wants due to how poorly Bartemeu is doing his job?

crossy1686

career ending
Did people seriously expect this to end any other way? Barcelona were never going to let Messi leave on a free and he didn’t really want to anyway.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
This. Bartomeu knows he won't be reelected so he doesn't give a shit if all goes south. The only reasonable decision was to let Messi leave for a decent fee (~100m) and get rid of his enormous wages. The only reason he's still in his position is because the other board members would have to bear the liabilities of the club in his stead. After this interview and the accusations of fraud, there's no way Bartomeu survives this. This means the other board members are in charge and they'll get cold feet because they fear for their very own assets. Now a 100m offer from City comes flying in for a player who wants to leave and regardless of that has the sympathies of the fans on his side after this interview.

This story isn't dead yet.
It's a high stakes game where Messi holds all the cards, basically a tilted game where all he needs to do is make statements after observing where the dust settles. All will be sympathetic to him in lieu of the devilish board who he has now outed, categorically.

The new board will fall over themselves to appease him, too.

Win, win, win.

I should think by April next year, the landscape at the club will look wholly different to how it does now.

BorisManUtd

Good, if he actually joined City they'd surely be winners of PL for next 3 seasons, plus probably UCL winners at least once.

Think Messi will stay at Barca until he's 36/37 and then go to MLS/back to Argentina.

Bartomeu won't be Barca president this time next year so think this was unique chance for Messi to leave.

UpWithRivers

I was going to have a go at Messi but thats a great interview. Compare that to Sanchez who just bitched and moaned this comes across as a player that loves the club and is playing politics to force them to change.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
No balls at all to test his ability elsewhere.

I was super excited to finally see him in EPL but I should of known he was never going to leave the comfort zone o Barca.

Nothing changed so staying makes no sense. His excuse of not taking them to court makes no sense either.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Barcelona opting for an ugly PR war with their GOAT might be the strangest decision in football I can remember
Yeah, beyond daft. Could have "reluctantly" sold him for 200m or something crazy to City, and started a proper rebuild.

Dahmmy

Whats the worst that can happen here mate? They tear up his contract and kick him out of the club :lol:
i think the worse for Messi has already happened. He got some proper legal advice instead of his brother who is his "adviser" and his dad the Agent, who took one look at his contract and said Messi, you aint got a leg to stand on mate, you missed the legal date. end of.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Jaw-dropping promo cut by Messi and he seems to have the momentum going to Survivor Series. I think he'll go over like he always does.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Just scared to ruin his reputation in the PL is what this is.
Koeman must secretly be a bit relieved though Messi seems like he could easily sour the mood in the dressing room.

Status
Not open for further replies.