Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
why do we need another CB? surely someone is leaving?
Bailly and Jones can't be counted upon for more than about 5 games a season.
Maguire had a stinker, Varane missed about 30% of the season and Lindelof we've always known isn't quite up to it as a starter.

NoPace

Fergie let him go because he knew he would never get passed Vidic and Ferdinand, and his contract was running out. Simple.
Similar to Pogba, he made the mistake of not moving him to another position like DM or RB, though Pique surely would have pushed for a move back to Barcelona to play CB. But he moved quite well back then and liked to go forward, would have been an interesting fit at RB for us, though we probably figured Rafael was a 10 year starter.

Tavern in the town

Bailly and Jones can't be counted upon for more than about 5 games a season.
Maguire had a stinker, Varane missed about 30% of the season and Lindelof we've always known isn't quite up to it as a starter.
Big fan of the way people always gloss over the fact that Varane has been shite in a United shirt every time they do these summaries.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Big fan of the way people always gloss over the fact that Varane has been shite in a United shirt every time they do these summaries.
Maybe that's because he wasn't shit, he played well when he was fit except last few games and his issue was injuries.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Lindelof is terrible and I weep every time his 40-strong fanbase tries to pretend he's had an amazing game in his thread after every match, there's a few posters I'd wager have 1000s of posts praising him in that fecking thread.

Rojofiam

Is he fast? Because if he is, then he might be as good a partner for Maguire as Varane, probably even better considering he's left footed which will be great for our build-up play.

DSG

The CBs get blamed for our leaky defense last season, but most of our issues in conceding were not their fault:
1. Poor organization by Rangnick and Ole (huge gaps when pressing high between midfield and defense)
2. The worst defending PL fullbacks in Telles and Dalot
3. Lack of a true DM / poor positioning by McFred
4. Finally, the CBs didn’t have great seasons, but they were pretty fecking busy, and you’re going to concede when you are so poor in transitional defending and the press.

The height debate with Lisandro was literally 60 pages back. He’s very good in the air, statistically speaking, and several Ajax fans have said he’s better than Timber in the air. I grant you that the Eredivise is not the PL, but we’re just going to have to see how he performs. Lindelof is 6ft and is pretty poor in the air IMHO, I believe 33rd percentile in aerials won, and duel % in the mid 50s if memory serves.

Tavern in the town

Lindelof is terrible and I weep every time his 40-strong fanbase tries to pretend he's had an amazing game in his thread after every match, there's a few posters I'd wager have 1000s of posts praising him in that fecking thread.
Yeah I’m no fan either. Not sure what that has to do with Varane though.

Wing Attack Plan R

Bloody hell. I loved Rojo, mad little bugger, but Maguire is comfortably better.
I'm blinkered on Maguire, I hate the way he plays. He's just not my type of defender, and that's not saying Rojo was great, but I'd rather play with peak Rojo than peak Maguire. I keep seeing Maguire get the ball, look down at his own feet start turning into trouble, playing himself into danger, losing the ball, then yelling at someone. Rojo would scythe someone down and laugh.

Wing Attack Plan R

I don’t know why so many people are confused about this signing?
ETH has gone in, see the bunch of bed ridden, shit bags that we have as CBs and decided I’m getting a new one, that can not only defend on the front foot but is actually excellent on the ball too.
the question is not which CB he replaces but who plays alongside him
That's how I see it. Assuming no captain's armband, who'd you have next to Martinez?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
That's how I see it. Assuming no captain's armband, who'd you have next to Martinez?
I'd be surprised if it's not Varane when fit. Varane is the most athletic, has the massive reputation and won everything, great in the air, good on the ball with both feet... I'd be surprised if Ten Hag picks Maguire over him if he's actually fit. Though if all are fit, I could see Martinez just being in midfield for a bit until things shake out.

mikeyt

The CBs get blamed for our leaky defense last season, but most of our issues in conceding were not their fault:
1. Poor organization by Rangnick and Ole (huge gaps when pressing high between midfield and defense)
2. The worst defending PL fullbacks in Telles and Dalot
3. Lack of a true DM / poor positioning by McFred
4. Finally, the CBs didn’t have great seasons, but they were pretty fecking busy, and you’re going to concede when you are so poor in transitional defending and the press.

The height debate with Lisandro was literally 60 pages back. He’s very good in the air, statistically speaking, and several Ajax fans have said he’s better than Timber in the air. I grant you that the Eredivise is not the PL, but we’re just going to have to see how he performs. Lindelof is 6ft and is pretty poor in the air IMHO, I believe 33rd percentile in aerials won, and duel % in the mid 50s if memory serves.
You're also forgetting arguably the biggest one and that is a goalkeeper that grew roots on his goal line, couldn't catch a cold or communicate.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’d play him with Varane against the big teams, against lower teams I’d try him as DM, mainly because lower teams are most likely going to play long ball which Maguire and Varane will be comfortable dealing with and martinez would help out in midfield with his dribbling attributes and his good passing, could help us against a low block.

united for life

Honestly if we could get decent money for one of Lindelof, Maguire or Varane, then why not one of them? Whichever is going to be 4th choice. Keep Bailly and/or Axel as 5th and 6th choice. Sell VDB also and we'll have a nice bit of money towards Antony.
Varane deserves a chance - hopefully he can remain fit. He’s a good defender. A priority would be selling Jones at this point. He earns to much and is never used. Won’t sell the captain wither, right? So he’ll stay. I’d rather have Jones and Lindelof go to be honest. Maybe Tuanzebe also at this stage (let him go to a smaller team and play, obviously he has not future as a regular at the club unless he suddenly steps up and impresses ETH - a miracle).

sell VDB? No way. We are already short on midfielders (even if we end up signing FDJ). Plus, id like to see him work with ETH this year. He’ll probably be a back up #10 after reading what Ten Hag said about him today.

croadyman

I’d play him with Varane against the big teams, against lower teams I’d try him as DM, mainly because lower teams are most likely going to play long ball which Maguire and Varane will be comfortable dealing with and martinez would help out in midfield with his dribbling attributes and his good passing, could help us against a low block.
Yeah could definitely see that happening

Status
Not open for further replies.