Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Between us and Arsenal. Our best player is nearly retiring, whilst they have a young team that really started to click in the second half of last season. Jesus could be a very good bit of business for them. Fabio Vieira is very highly rated and there also pushing for Martinez and Raphina.
Well we actually have a proven manager of sorts compared to their hairy fraud so there is that.
You may be right but I'm thinking their bound to implode this season.

ehsanul

Bestower of favours
Football wise, they're a more attractive proposition right now if I look at it without bias. It's just if us having ETH would sway him.
There is no way Martinez will join Arsenal if ETH wants him,so if he joins Arsenal that means we are not interested.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
They play better football, scored more goals, conceded less goals and don't have dark clouds and fan unrest hanging over them. They have a very young team with some players that look like they'll go on to be very good. They're looking like they're making good signings that are logical and filling in positions that needed strengthening.

Take away our name and money and it's a more attractive option right now. Hence, why I said football wise it is a better option.
This was just last season, where we sacked oud manger.
No footballer is dumb enough to make their decisions based on one single season if football and ignore the changes that have been underway post that.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
There is no way Martinez will join Arsenal if ETH wants him,so if he joins Arsenal that means we are not interested.
Same energy as "We only finished 6th because things happened"
The problem would not be that Arsenal signs him, it would be that in your current state you would not be interested in getting him.

Keefy18

Very arrogant take on it.

Arsenal are getting their act together after years of mismanagement, meanwhile we are starting again for the... I've honestly lost count at this point.

choccy77

@utdreport: #mufc and Arsenal met with the representatives of Lisandro Martínez in London during the week and were told he would cost £42m. Arsenal have already had a £25m enquiry turned down and United were planning on paying £30m #mulive [@MullockSMirror]

choccy77

@MUFCScoop: Ten Hag feels Lisandro Martinez’s versatility would add real strength to Manchester United’s squad. [@MullockSMirror] #MUFC

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
And the year before that, we were significantly better than them. Last season was one of severe underperformance by us. We will be much improved under a competent coach, where as Arsenal are Arsenal.
That 74 point season is the outlier season for us if anything. The two season before that we finished on 66 points, less than they did last season. Many of us felt we were incredibly lucky a lot during 20/21 and felt that the wheels would come off, which they did last season.

It literally took a nightmarish season from us for them to finally finish avove us for the first time in about five years. We also have a young team and there is no telling what we can achieve if we get all of Ten Hag's targets through the door and if he gets a tune out of massively talented players we have that have already finished above them in at least four out of five seasons.
We have finished above then more often than not for a long time. But they went through a rebuild and look far better now. They also seem to be making/chasing good signings which I didn't think they'd be able to do without CL. If they complete the Jesus deal and it's true that Raphinha wants to go there then they also have a vast room for improvement. They haven't had a decent striker in a long time and they'll be adding some firepower there. Whereas we would have been right near the bottom of the table without a 37 year old Ronaldo and his goals, who was basically a crutch for us last season.

We simply have to get this summer right or I can guarantee that even Spurs and Arsenal will put distance between us.

Well we actually have a proven manager of sorts compared to their hairy fraud so there is that.
You say he's a fraud but he's done a good job at Arsenal, who have been floundering for years, even with decent managers like Emery. There's many past players that speak highly of his abilities too, and I think they know better than you. Gabriel Jesus was happy to go play under him, even if it means leaving the best team and coach in the country. How big a fraud can he be?

ETH could be a factor. Our apparent approach the our transfer window may also mean missing out on him as it doesn't seem we've decided what or who to buy after FdJ, with some stories saying we will need to sell before making our second signing.

This was just last season, where we sacked oud manger.
No footballer is dumb enough to make their decisions based on one single season if football and ignore the changes that have been underway post that.
If Ole stayed it would have been the same outcome. Last season was a long time coming, many just couldn't see it until it was upon us.

And if he's watched or read about us at all over the last decade, he should know that nothing is guaranteed. We hire the likes of Jose Mourinho and still fail. We add Cristiano Ronaldo, Jadon Sancho and Varane to our 2nd place team and finish 6th. Caution is absolutely going to be taken by every player when they consider us, no matter which manager we have or which players we sign.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
And if he's watched or read about us at all over the last decade, he should know that nothing is guaranteed. We hire the likes of Jose Mourinho and still fail. We add Cristiano Ronaldo, Jadon Sancho and Varane to our 2nd place team and finish 6th. Caution is absolutely going to be taken by every player when they consider us, no matter which manager we have or which players we sign.
This so hilariously flawed. Arsenal have been further away from the CL qualifications than we have over the years. We can spend more, pay more, we have the better manager that Martinez knows too. You're acting like he should make his decision based on Ole being manager right now or something :lol:

pocco

loco
This so hilariously flawed. Arsenal have been further away from the CL qualifications than we have over the years. We can spend more, pay more, we have the better manager that Martinez knows too. :lol:

Football wise, they're a more attractive proposition right now if I look at it without bias. It's just if us having ETH would sway him.
Your reading comprehension is hilariously flawed.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
That 74 point season is the outlier season for us if anything. The two season before that we finished on 66 points, less than they did last season. Many of us felt we were incredibly lucky a lot during 20/21 and felt that the wheels would come off, which they did last season.

We have finished above then more often than not for a long time. But they went through a rebuild and look far better now. They also seem to be making/chasing good signings which I didn't think they'd be able to do without CL. If they complete the Jesus deal and it's true that Raphinha wants to go there then they also have a vast room for improvement. They haven't had a decent striker in a long time and they'll be adding some firepower there. Whereas we would have been right near the bottom of the table without a 37 year old Ronaldo and his goals, who was basically a crutch for us last season.

We simply have to get this summer right or I can guarantee that even Spurs and Arsenal will put distance between us.

You say he's a fraud but he's done a good job at Arsenal, who have been floundering for years, even with decent managers like Emery. There's many past players that speak highly of his abilities too, and I think they know better than you. Gabriel Jesus was happy to go play under him, even if it means leaving the best team and coach in the country. How big a fraud can he be?

ETH could be a factor. Our apparent approach the our transfer window may also mean missing out on him as it doesn't seem we've decided what or who to buy after FdJ, with some stories saying we will need to sell before making our second signing.

If Ole stayed it would have been the same outcome. Last season was a long time coming, many just couldn't see it until it was upon us.

Jesus has worked with Arteta at Mancity. Its why some are suggesting that if we want Martinez, we will get him provided we can agree a fee.

Arsenal have finished 8th twice and 5th once. They are as much of a risk as we are. Atleast we have finished 2nd and 3rd recently and even in our worst season in a decade, we finished one position below than Arsenal.

Red the Bear

Something less generic

Many spoke well about ole as well, including some respectable ones , was he the right choice to move us forward? so unless he proves me wrong I'll hold that he's a fraud.
You bring up Jesus but someone like varane left Madrid for God's sake to come and play for us, it doesn't mean much in the long run.

They would have been better off if they stuck with emery.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
That's what I meant by saying I'd entertain that discussion.

Football isn't about what is on paper, but if I was to have that conversation I think they are a better team than us based on last season. That's all we can really base it on, our most recent form / finish.

Also what you say is a fair judgement isn't in fact fair... you are taking an Arsenal that was clearly in a rebuild, they are further along now in that rebuild, whilst we are where Arsenal were 3 years ago.

There's a very real possibility we could finish comfortably outside the top 4 (midtable) again.
Chelsea were 10th in 15/16 but 1st 16/17. Players don’t judge it based on one off season. :lol: :lol:

It makes no sense to judge it based on last season when our manager now is different to last season.

At least judging something based on paper makes more sense because players actually imagining about the prospect of playing with certain players like Ronaldo, Varane, and Bruno, in comparison to Saka, Xhaka, Ben White. If FDJ joins us, other midfielders let’s say may be Eriksen would also see it as attractive move to join united since he might think FDJ is good player and he might think there is great potential to play alongside him.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
One thing i am sure is Arsenal can't outbid Man Utd for a player. There are so many players out there that can do a job in CB.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
It always happens -- young manager gets backed heavily in the summer and then the team goes through a bad patch the next season and the manager gets sacked. Its all about expectations.

Arsenal has spent so much on Arteta -- it's an almost brand new starting 11 and now additional squad players. There is a lot more pressure on Arteta to succeed next season than say an ETH.

Arteta has to go up against Conte. United is just at the very start of its re-building phase.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Your reading comprehension is hilariously flawed.
Better manager, related to football.
Spending more (and ergo getting better players to play along side), related to football.
Playing in CL more often, related to football.

I gave 3 footballing reason. It is your reading comprehension which is seriously flawed.

Aeryis

Not interested. I don't care how necessary ETH thinks Martinez is for him, but 45m pounds for a 1.75m tall CB? No fecking thank you. I know height isn't the be all and end all for CBs but feck me that is just way too short.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
It would be sincerely funny to see Arse outbid us and get Lisandro. That said, Arsenal have a stable team and manager already, while we are in shambles thanks to overly backing a clueless guy for 3 years.

CM

They play better football, scored more goals, conceded less goals and don't have dark clouds and fan unrest hanging over them. They have a very young team with some players that look like they'll go on to be very good. They're looking like they're making good signings that are logical and filling in positions that needed strengthening.

Take away our name and money and it's a more attractive option right now. Hence, why I said football wise it is a better option.
They've just had their best season for about 5 years and still couldn't get top 4 without the distraction of European football.

Arteta has already chucked the best part of £200m at that team and could be closer to £300m by the end of this window. He'll likely be up for the chop if they don't achieve Champions League football next year.

Last season was mathematically our worst Premier League season ever. Fewest number of points and worst ever GD by a mile. Plus the turmoil of an interim manager who clearly had no authority. It would be damning if Arsenal's numbers didn't compare favourably to that.

GoonerInPeace

Supports
Arsenal
Who knows what going through Martinez's mind, or if Arsenal would infact outbid United given United propably need to restructure their wages
It always happens -- young manager gets backed heavily in the summer and then the team goes through a bad patch the next season and the manager gets sacked. Its all about expectations.

Arsenal has spent so much on Arteta -- it's an almost brand new starting 11 and now additional squad players. There is a lot more pressure on Arteta to succeed next season than say an ETH.

Arteta has to go up against Conte. United is just at the very start of its re-building phase.
Rebuilding requires wholesale changes. Who have United got rid off?

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Who knows what going through Martinez's mind, or if Arsenal would infact outbid United given United propably need to restructure their wages

Pogba, Matic, Lingard, Mata, Cavani - more still need to go though

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Lingard, Pogba, Mata, Matic, Cavani, Heaton, Henderson on loan. That’s about a million per week gone?

edit. Also, all wages drop 25% due to no CL I think

Last edited:

Keefy18

Chelsea were 10th in 15/16 but 1st 16/17. Players don’t judge it based on one off season. :lol: :lol:

It makes no sense to judge it based on last season when our manager now is different to last season.

At least judging something based on paper makes more sense because players actually imagining about the prospect of playing with certain players like Ronaldo, Varane, and Bruno, in comparison to Saka, Xhaka, Ben White. If FDJ joins us, other midfielders let’s say may be Eriksen would also see it as attractive move to join united since he might think FDJ is good player and he might think there is great potential to play alongside him.
I'm not basing it on one season.

I think they are showing slow, steady improvement. Their moves in the transfer market are improving. They've a young coach who is learning and improving with a talented young side, if he can instill mental character in them they will do well.

Two good signings and possibly 2 more on the way.

It'd make players consider a move for sure.

Meanwhile what have we got?

Reset number 4 or 5 in ten years, huge debt, stadium falling apart, woeful scouting, abysmal player development, toxic dressing room with clear player unhappiness with supporters continually protesting across social media and at games!

Aside from that list when players look at it from a personal viewpoint, London is a great City to live in compared to Manchester. The weather tends to be slightly better on top of everything social life can bring too. Its easier to get back to the continent from London too. I mean we are struggling to entice Eriksen right now because of this.

We are simply not the pull we once were.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm not basing it on one season.

I think they are showing slow, steady improvement. Their moves in the transfer market are improving. They've a young coach who is learning and improving with a talented young side, if he can instill mental character in them they will do well.

Two good signings and possibly 2 more on the way.

It'd make players consider a move for sure.

Meanwhile what have we got?

Reset number 4 or 5 in ten years, huge debt, stadium falling apart, woeful scouting, abysmal player development, toxic dressing room with clear player unhappiness with supporters continually protesting across social media and at games!

Aside from that list when players look at it from a personal viewpoint, London is a great City to live in compared to Manchester. The weather tends to be slightly better on top of everything social life can bring too. Its easier to get back to the continent from London too. I mean we are struggling to entice Eriksen right now because of this.

We are simply not the pull we once were.
You were basing it on one season and you even said ''that's all we can really base it on''

Football isn't about what is on paper, but if I was to have that conversation I think they are a better team than us based on last season. That's all we can really base it on, our most recent form / finish.
If somehow players view finishing 5th as steady improvement, thus, they will pick Arsenal over United then it makes zero sense because finishing 5th is no different to finishing 6th, Arsenal haven't shown a sign that they are promising club for years so the attraction of Arsenal shouldn't be higher than United. Just like what you said their coach is still in learning process and the young players are still in developing stage not in finishing article to win trophies, so why should Arsenal be league ahead of us at this point when they are still in rebuilding process just like us.

Players wouldn't care about huge debt as long as the club can afford to pay their salary. In addition, calling London is a great City to live in comparison to Manchester is ridiculous because the aim of footballers should be playing and winning not having holiday. If they want better living place, they wouldn't choose London but choose Paris and Spain. You have no clue what's the true in Eriksen's mind, him choosing London doesn't mean it's better place to live, it's just that Eriksen has lived in London for years. It's laughable how you use that as proof that Londo is a great City to live in. :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Aye Arsenal might have a stable team and manager, but they're still nothing special.
Yep. If people are worried about us overhauling the team who came 5th, we really are in for a bleak season.

Keefy18

You were basing it on one season and you even said ''that's all we can really base it on''

If somehow players view finishing 5th as steady improvement, thus, they will pick Arsenal over United then it makes zero sense because finishing 5th is no different to finishing 6th, Arsenal haven't shown a sign that they are promising club for years so the attraction of Arsenal shouldn't be higher than United. Just like what you said their coach is still in learning process and the young players are still in developing stage not in finishing article to win trophies, so why should Arsenal be league ahead of us at this point when they are still in rebuilding process just like us.

Players wouldn't care about huge debt as long as the club can afford to pay their salary. In addition, calling London is a great City to live in comparison to Manchester is ridiculous because the aim of footballers should be playing and winning not having holiday. If they want better living place, they wouldn't choose London but choose Paris and Spain. You have no clue what's the true in Eriksen's mind, him choosing London doesn't mean it's better place to live, it's just that Eriksen has lived in London for years. It's laughable how you use that as proof that Londo is a great City to live in. :lol:
Apologies so I did, anyway overall they are still the more enticing club right now. It's actually hilarious to see folks like you see players line up to join them then say they aren't an attractive prospect, nothing special this and that.. meanwhile were in a shambles, its incredibly arrogant.

I've literally given you the reasons why they are a more enticing club for many players currently and you choose to completely ignore it.

Players don't care about debt you say? Tell that to the Barca squad who are being greatly affected by it debt! We are arguably the next biggest club with a debt to burden us and if we keep going in the same direction we'll be the next Barca. Money is key and ironically it is probably about all we can offer a player right now, bigger wages! What and how are enticing FDJ exactly? A bigger pay day even than the one he is getting at Barca, we've nothing else to entice.

You post your comment as if footballers are not human and do not have wives and children and don't consider this. They obviously talk to their families and consider standard of life away from football. London provides a better standard of living no doubt about it. Many players much prefer London for this very reason!

I've no idea why you bring in Paris (a City) and then Spain ( a country) when we are talking about Arsenal attempting to sign Martinez. The options are Manchester or London, hence I compare the two cities and their pros / cons.

As for Eriksen I didn't say it was a better City because of his decision you bloody helmet! It has been widely reported his family are settled in the London area, reasons given were proximity to the continent, schools, standard of living etc etc...that his personal take on it, likely many others too but not all.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Apologies so I did, anyway overall they are still the more enticing club right now. It's actually hilarious to see folks like you see players line up to join them then say they aren't an attractive prospect, nothing special this and that.. meanwhile were in a shambles, its incredibly arrogant.

I've literally given you the reasons why they are a more enticing club for many players currently and you choose to completely ignore it.

Players don't care about debt you say? Tell that to the Barca squad who are being greatly affected by it debt! We are arguably the next biggest club with a debt to burden us and if we keep going in the same direction we'll be the next Barca. Money is key and ironically it is probably about all we can offer a player right now, bigger wages! What and how are enticing FDJ exactly? A bigger pay day even than the one he is getting at Barca, we've nothing else to entice.

You post your comment as if footballers are not human and do not have wives and children and don't consider this. They obviously talk to their families and consider standard of life away from football. London provides a better standard of living no doubt about it. Many players much prefer London for this very reason!

I've no idea why you bring in Paris (a City) and then Spain ( a country) when we are talking about Arsenal attempting to sign Martinez. The options are Manchester or London, hence I compare the two cities and their pros / cons.

As for Eriksen I didn't say it was a better City because of his decision you bloody helmet! It has been widely reported his family are settled in the London area, reasons given were proximity to the continent, schools, standard of living etc etc...that his personal take on it, likely many others too but not all.
Calling them nothing special this and that is not incredibly arrogant because just like us, they haven't done shit. Something special should be what Liverpool and City achieved or minimum what recently Chelsea had achieved. If I call Liverpool, City, and Chelsea are nothing special and consider them as equal for player's attraction then that is what we call ''incredibly arrogant''. You are making it sounds like Arsenal are Chelsea, Liverpool, and City ffs!!

I didn't completly ignore the reasons you have given me, if you read it again, I actually countered your reasons, while you completly ignore those counter arguments I provided to you.

Why don't you tell that to Christensen, Lewandowski, Kessie, Raphinha, and Aubameyang?? Why are they still interested to join Barcelona despite of their debt?? Why are they still view Barcelona as attractive club? See my point about debt?

The reason why I bring in Paris and Spain is because I'm trying to tell you that there is no differential of living in London and Manchester, you are forgetting the fact that players like Antony, Martinez, and etc wouldn't know about the difference in living in London and Manchester. But they would know the difference in living in Paris and Spain as France and Spain are the most popular countries with tourists. In comparison to your bad example of Eriksen, his family been living in London for years when he was at Spurs, thus, his families would prefer to stay in London as they have already settled in there before.

pocco

loco
Better manager, related to football.
Spending more (and ergo getting better players to play along side), related to football.
Playing in CL more often, related to football.

I gave 3 footballing reason. It is your reading comprehension which is seriously flawed.
No, you started to go off on tangents not related to actual football, even if you try to paint it that way. But what good is having more money if they are simply performing better anyway?

Regardless, I know perfectly well we spend more on wages etc. Hence why I said "football wise". We're not in the CL either, hence I said "right now". We've been making up the numbers in the CL for years even when we do qualify.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No, you started to go off on tangents not related to actual football, even if you try to paint it that way. But what good is having more money if they are simply performing better anyway?

Regardless, I know perfectly well we spend more on wages etc. Hence why I said "football wise". We're not in the CL either, hence I said "right now". We've been making up the numbers in the CL for years even when we do qualify.
Nothing I said was a tangent. Literally most of what I said was football related.

You said "right now" and started using Jose as a reference to back up your arguments :lol:

Right now, we have a completely new set of decision makers. Right now we have Ten Hag as manager. Right now we offer a better squad to settle in. Right now we offer no less competitive tournaments to Arsenal.

Try to pick out non football related points.

LoneStar

Imagine saying Arsenal are comfortably better than us. This is a club that hasn't played CL football in years. Their best season coincided with our worst last year, and yet they finished just one position above us.

It's the same Arsenal as always. Have a good run of form somewhere in the season and people think they are the next big thing. It's like Wenger's Arsenal, expect they dont finish top 4 now.

I would agree if you said Spurs or Chelsea right now, since they have better squads with established managers. But treating Arsenal as comfortable above us is close to trolling.

Dan_F

Imagine saying Arsenal are comfortably better than us. This is a club that hasn't played CL football in years. Their best season coincided with our worst last year, and yet they finished just one position above us.

It's the same Arsenal as always. Have a good run of form somewhere in the season and people think they are the next big thing. It's like Wenger's Arsenal, expect they dont finish top 4 now.

I would agree if you said Spurs or Chelsea right now, since they have better squads with established managers. But treating Arsenal as comfortable above us is close to trolling.
Not to mention they had no European football last year. It does seem like they are trying to add a bit of depth now, but the lack of scrutiny on Arteta is hilarious.

redcucumber

Very arrogant take on it.

Arsenal are getting their act together after years of mismanagement, meanwhile we are starting again for the... I've honestly lost count at this point.
Eh? Arsenal have been an inconsistent mess for far longer than us. Getting their act together is also massively presumptuous.

What reasons did you give for a player preferring to join Arsenal over United? Their slow and steady improvement? Their young manager on the rise, or something? It's such lightweight reasoning it hardly counts as a legitimate, worthwhile argument. It's actually the sort of desperate guff Arsenal fans like to churn out year on year, without fail. To hear it from a United fan is a new one, so props for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.