Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bojan Djordjic

Imagine saying Arsenal are comfortably better than us. This is a club that hasn't played CL football in years. Their best season coincided with our worst last year, and yet they finished just one position above us.

It's the same Arsenal as always. Have a good run of form somewhere in the season and people think they are the next big thing. It's like Wenger's Arsenal, expect they dont finish top 4 now.

I would agree if you said Spurs or Chelsea right now, since they have better squads with established managers. But treating Arsenal as comfortable above us is close to trolling.
It's hardly that controversial a take. Last year was a low-point among lows for us and Arsenal finished above us. However, in the meantime we've gone further backwards losing the likes of Pogba, Cavani, Mata and Lingard for no transfer fees and without any replacements coming in while Arsenal look like they've made a couple of nice signings and have the likes of Saliba coming back who looked great last year for Marseille.

Yeah, EtH did great things with Ajax but it's not by any means a dead cert that he can replicate that at United without the Ajax infrastructure and supports behind him. De Jong looks likely to be signed at this point and I'm sure there'll be a few more signings but surely at this point in time we can take nothing for granted when it comes to United's future recruitment while Arsenal seemed to have made some promising signings that will improve their first team that already has technically gifted players like Odegaard, Saka and Co.

I mean the two teams along with Everton have probably been the worst run clubs in the league for a few years but I would think that Arsenal's trajectory looks more optimistic than ours until we see evidence that EtH can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Timber £40m
Martinez £45m
Antony £60m

In addition to De Jong? That’s over £200m easily. We’re not going to make much on sales. So our net spend would be insane. I don’t see how the club finances all that tbh. I wish we’d pick up some hidden gems.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Arsenal raise bid for Martinez to €40m, including bonuses. Ajax wants a minimum of €50m fixed.

cyberman

Can’t see us going after Martinez if Timber is available. Even then the De Light story seems to be developing

AndySmith1990

Timber £40m
Martinez £45m
Antony £60m

In addition to De Jong? That’s over £200m easily. We’re not going to make much on sales. So our net spend would be insane. I don’t see how the club finances all that tbh. I wish we’d pick up some hidden gems.
I'd just be happy picking up some gems, hidden or not.

davidmichael

Timber £40m
Martinez £45m
Antony £60m

I don’t think Ajax really expect Antony to fetch £60 million although £40 million with realistic add ons is believable then £40 million each for both Timber and Martinez is £120 million total and £175 million eith De Jong.

Looks like we’re getting close to £10 million for Pereira then there’s the £1 million plus a week saved between the wages of Pogba, Cavani, Mata, Lingard and Matic then Henderson is practically gone on loan and we could move AWB, Bailly, Jones, Telles, Williams, Chong and Martial on even if only on loan which is another massive save on wages.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Ajax is not playing at all, everyone must pay up.

Arsenal is scaring me though, the fact they have their eyes on Martinez is a sign of the great business they are doing.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Surely Arsenal can't get Martinez and Raphinha? That'd be an outlay of around £180m for their summer

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Surely Arsenal can't get Martinez and Raphinha? That'd be an outlay of around £180m for their summer
They also spent quite a bit last summer, they are serious about competing

Mainoldo

They also spent quite a bit last summer, they are serious about competing
There about as serious as us with Solskjaer in charge. But I’m happy they are building a better team might make them more competitive.

RedDevilRoshi

I think the Antony news is unsurprising given that the player wants to come. However can’t see us signing us both Timber & Martinez as well. Be amazing if we do though!

As much as VDS loves us, I can’t see him sanctioning the sale of 3 key players in one window, especially when we’ve just taken their manager.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think the Antony news is unsurprising given that the player wants to come. However can’t see us signing us both Timber & Martinez as well. Be amazing if we do though!

As much as VDS loves us, I can’t see him sanctioning the sale of 3 key players in one window, especially when we’ve just taken their manager.
I think Martinez will end up at Arsenal. Timber is almost certainly staying after reports of him basically u-turning when it looked a done deal, and I think Ajax will price us out of the Antony deal this summer

Rolaholic

Mind control over the owners. Looks like a £150m+ windows back to back
Their owner just won a Superbowl by practically outstanding everyone else, think he wants to apply that model to Arsenal now too :lol:

Funny enough he also just won a Stanley Cup yesterday, that ambition/thirst to win is contagious

OpenIntrovert

There about as serious as us with Solskjaer in charge. But I’m happy they are building a better team might make them more competitive.
You are still quite obsessed with Ole eh. The only thing Ole didnt do is win a trophy. Otherwise he did his best to make us competitive.

Anyway regarding Martinez and other Ajax players, we are just discussing, but not going for all of them at one go. Ajax also will not sell all their star players at one go. We are certainly looking at the best option from Ajax and the other positions might be filled in by players from other clubs.

Mainoldo

You are still quite obsessed with Ole eh. The only thing Ole didnt do is win a trophy. Otherwise he did his best to make us competitive.

Anyway regarding Martinez and other Ajax players, we are just discussing, but not going for all of them at one go. Ajax also will not sell all their star players at one go. We are certainly looking at the best option from Ajax and the other positions might be filled in by players from other clubs.
I bloody hope that’s true.

On that manager. He was crap and stealing a living. We will see if it’s the same for Arteta.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Could we be seeing tiny Timber on the right, tinier Martinez as DM with Varane and Maguire as CBs? Else Tinier Martinez might be a reserve with Bailly leaving the club

Aeryis

Could we be seeing tiny Timber on the right, tinier Martinez as DM with Varane and Maguire as CBs? Else Tinier Martinez might be a reserve with Bailly leaving the club
The fans' obsession with getting players to play them out position never ceases to amaze. How about we get an actual midfielder and an actual right back instead of bringing these expensive signings to play them out of position? If you're not comfortable about getting them because of their height, which is understandable, just don't get them.

(I have no idea why I'm speaking to you as if you're making the transfer decisions!)

If we're getting these players it's to play them where they belong, which is the CB position. Personally I hope we don't get them as both of them are far too short for a CB pairing.

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
Again, we serve the purpose of jacking the price on him for you. We won't get him.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Can he play both left/right full back? Arsenal needs cover there. 40m is a lot of money for squad option.

Keefy18

So much for Arsenal not being an enticing prospect over us.

Keefy18

Status
Not open for further replies.