Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyScout78

A true and natural leader. Even opponent players are respecting him.
If United and Ten Hag getting him. I will not suprise if Martinez end up as United captain in the future.

Beside Ronaldo. This boy has really high fighting and winning mentality.

Martinez is really aggresive. But still he is really composure with the ball. He knows when he has to push the aggresive button on. And when he needs a calm, balance and composure head. Its when he has the ball.

Its not only his football skill i m rating he high. Its his mentality i rate it really high too.

United need those mentaliy and character player. They are consistent in their mood and the manager trust and knows what they will get from them. Martinez is this kind of player. Not only suit Ten Hag, but every managers.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
If United and Ten Hag getting him. I will not suprise if Martinez end up as United captain in the future.

Martinez is really aggresive. But still he is really composure with the ball. He knows when he has to push the aggresive button on. And when he needs a calm, balance and composure head. Its when he has the ball.

Its not only his football skill i m rating he high. Its his mentality i rate it really high too.

United need those mentaliy and character player. They are consistent in their mood and the manager trust and knows what they will get from them. Martinez is this kind of player. Not only suit Ten Hag, but every managers.
The Butcher & McTerminator at CB? :drool:

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Martinez also understands positional play, which can only help ten Hag get his ideas across more quickly/efficiently imo. And it's extremely important to have players in the first two lines who are not only comfortable on the ball, but who also have a understanding of the task which will need to be carried out in the build up phase, which is of absolute paramount importance if we're to effective progress play via a vertical axis.

I think the strategy to sign as many players as possible who understand vertical positional play is a good one for now. And hopefully by next season, we'll have someone in place to replace the now departed head of recruitment/chief scout who will head the recruitment department and will recruit towards a set guiding principle. And that is not in place right now with both Lawlor and Bout vacating their roles.

DevilRed

Still not convinced he can play effectively in the prem at that size. Alot of teams are going to target him in the air. Just like they do to lindelof.

Scholsey2004

Very overloaded with centre backs if he does come in and no sign of any of them moving on. How many will go on tour?

No one think he be used for CDM if we do bring him in?
If we were looking to sign a CDM from Ajax why would we be signing their CB and not their CDM? Its certainly not impossible but i doubt it.

Witchking

I think we should have an option to update player discussions with answers for "Have you seen him play" so that we can ignore the people who discuss height without seeing him play.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I think what this transfer window shows the most that if you took Eric Bailly, gave him a name change and let him play for Ajax, most fans would love the signing purely because it's a new thing and you get a dopamine hit from it.

The manager knows him, can play a long ball, can play as a DM, fits style of play.. all secondary arguments to actually seeing his profile as a short, slow on the turn, not physically dominant CB. Yeah it might work if you're playing in the ereedivisise against Rotterdam port workers, but 38 games in the PL with no DM protection and balls being pinged across the box from better wide players and fullbacks he won't be any better than our current defenders. In fact I'd wager he'd be worse than most of our CBs.

Reminds me of Sancho when if you'd actually watched you'd see he'd struggle in the PL due to his slowness and the bundesligas abundance of space, and yet 99% of this forum were dying to sign. All just dopamine hits. The fact our manager is literally only trying to sign former players rather than us having any idea about the ideal profile of a player to sign or how to build a good first team XI should ring alarm bells. We have four international starting CBs and that's still not enough, we need to spend £40m on another one that's not even better than most of the ones we have? Club is a joke. Nothing else for it other than waiting and seeing until the new season before anyone thinks of replying haha Maguire haha Varane
Haha Marktan. Haha

Blood Mage

We'll need him in midfield at this rate. Would feel much safer with him there than either McTominay or Fred.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
1 year later after tried him in midfield:

ETH Quote in January 2021:

ESPN. "In bepaalde wedstrijden zou het wel kunnen, maar Daley heeft niet het loopvermogen om op het middenveld te spelen. En Martínez ook niet. Ze zijn gewoon het beste van achteruit, als linker centrumverdediger."

Translation:
"Daley is not a midfield player," the trainer at ESPN said . "It could be in certain games, but Daley doesn't have the running ability to play in midfield. And neither does Martínez. They're just the best from the back, as a left centre-back."

https://www.fcupdate.nl/voetbalnieu...en-martinez-geen-opties-zijn-voor-middenveld/

:lol:

merc1976

Supports
liverpool
Especially given two of our CBs in Bailly and Jones have been linked with moves away and are effectively non-options most of the time. We can't be left with just the injury and form troubled trio of Varane, Maguire and Lindelof.

And then on top of all that you have the fact that ETH's style of play demands a lot from his CBs in areas Martinez would upgrade us. It would hardly be surprising if even with form and fitness put aside ETH looked at that trio and thought he needed improvement there anyway. But all those other factors make it a priority.
Football is a game of time and space. The higher you defend or press to compress the space in front of you, the faster you need to react to defend counters. That is universally true.
From all signs looks like ETH will defend high. If so, he will need defenders with certain characteristics. They need to defend well in 1-1 situations, be fast in recovery and defend the aerial threat. Opposition teams in this league are extremely competitive and will be exploit weakness. You can negate aerial threat with a DM good in air. You cannot compensate for speed though in this league. Varane is good at most of these attributes but every other defender lacks in one area at least including Lisandro. A 3 at the back may negate some of the above challenges but then you concede both space and time in the attacking phase to compensate for defence and pressing from front consequently is more difficult. If ETH is a good manager, i would expect him to first put in place a style of play irrespective of formation per se. This season it will not work but patterns should emerge.
It will be interesting to see how the tactics develop over the season and hope he gets time to implement and make mistakes. As a Liverpool supporter you can consider this post as negative but remember having traditional strong rivalry is better than going up against city or chelsea.

Status
Not open for further replies.