Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Anyway assuming the reports that we're moving out baily to Napoli is true that leaves us with Maguire, varane, Lindelof and Martinez which is still kinda risky but certainly doable (I'm not counting on the likes of Jones and tuanzabe).

However if we're planning on playing him in the middle we probably should be looking at another center back purchase this summer.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is dream signing, definitely prefer him rather than Timber or Torres.

NewYorkRed

Is removing Maguire from captaincy somehow inhuman? Is “rather popular” a good enough reason for a player to be a captain? If a player isn’t good enough you sell him and move on.

The fact that we spend boatloads and waste money on rubbish players and on top of that we can’t move them along cause we pay everyone such high wages is why we are where we are as a club. But yeah let’s coddle players and treat them like 13 year olds so as to not hurt their feelings.
Dude, its called man management. If he wants to drop Maguire and make someone else captain, he will. I’m not pro Maguire being captain. What I’m telling you is that if comes straight in and does it he will lose the confidence of lots of players. You have to do this stuff with tact, and that’s all i’m trying to explain here.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
why do I have impression that Ajax rather let Lisandro go than Timber? I am not saying he’s not good btw.
Timber wants to stay as he wants to make sure starting every game and get selected for WC end of this year.

Rolaholic

United fans are underrating this guy. His quality will be seen in the first match.
Certainly feels that way with the way people seem to harping on about the height thing. Think he'll provide a noticeable bump in quality at the back with his on ball skills and tenacity.

He's got the tools to be what I had hoped Bailly would be for us long-term and he's got the footballing brain along with the pedigree under ETH's system already to really hit the ground running.

Rolaholic

why do I have impression that Ajax rather let Lisandro go than Timber? I am not saying he’s not good btw.
They wouldn't have gotten this type of money for Timber and he's Dutch, younger + an academy product so that explains why they're looking to tie him down to a new contract quickly.

He's a highly rated prospect but Lisandro is more ready made to make an impact for us right now and he actually pushed hard for the move in comparison to Timber being scared off by his NT manager

r1z3mu

I feel better now. So we spent 14M + 46M = 60M. I think after this one we have one more signing to be made (in 50M range).

reelworld

For a "midget" he did awfully well against taller strikers like Darwin and Haland. Don't remember people calling Mascherano a midget and "shit in the air" when he was the Barca CB and they were winning titles. I think this will turn out to be a great transfer.
Good shout on Mascherano, another DM who was converted to CB and looks great there. He's taking a page out of Pep playbook, getting a ball playing CB who could step into midfield and overloads it, and encourage the actual midfielders to go forward and create/score goals

InfiniteBoredom

I feel better now. So we spent 14M + 46M = 60M. I think after this one we have one more signing to be made (in 50M range).
12M upfront for Malacia
55M upfront for FdJ (assuming it goes through)
46M upfront for Martinez.

Already sold Perreira for 10M, so thats about 100M spent. If reports were true that we budgeted about 200M for this summer, theres still money left for a right sided forward (Antony/Gnabry) and a striker, we can yet sell Bailly for 15M or so and some youth players like Chong, Mengi, Tuanzebe for a couple mil each. 6 or 7 quality additions with a net spend of 150-160M would be very good business.

Yagami

Good post resistant
People really think he’ll be a DM? Even though ten Hag has said that he isn’t one, and Martinez himself has been playing his best ever stuff at CB?

He will be our LCB with Maguire or Varane on the right.

Also, look how good he is on the ball:

It’s not even a case of he looks good on the ball for a defender. He dribbles and carries the ball nothing like a defender which is the biggest compliment I can give.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
12M upfront for Malacia
55M upfront for FdJ (assuming it goes through)
46M upfront for Martinez.

Already sold Perreira for 10M, so thats about 100M spent. If reports were true that we budgeted about 200M for this summer, theres still money left for a right sided forward (Antony/Gnabry) and a striker, we can yet sell Bailly for 15M or so and some youth players like Chong, Mengi, Tuanzebe for a couple mil each. 6 or 7 quality additions with a net spend of 150-160M would be very good business.
Looking at how slow we do our transfers I doubt we will get 7 in. Maybe 5 or 6 - Malacia, Eriksen, Martinez, De Jong and a CF/RW

InfiniteBoredom

Looking at how slow we do our transfers I doubt we will get 7 in. Maybe 5 or 6 - Malacia, Eriksen, Martinez, De Jong and a CF/RW
I think our RB is still dire, no noise on that front yet but wouldn’t be surprised if we get someone cheap-ish come the end of the window. Fullbacks are simply too crucial for Pep/EtH ball, going from Mazraoui to AWB/Dalot must be soul crushing.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
It'll be interesting to see how he does at Utd and at what position he plays. His speed more than his height is what's going to be tested in the PL.

Reactions: Fortitude

BaneIsPain

Timber wants to stay as he wants to make sure starting every game and get selected for WC end of this year.
They wouldn't have gotten this type of money for Timber and he's Dutch, younger + an academy product so that explains why they're looking to tie him down to a new contract quickly.

He's a highly rated prospect but Lisandro is more ready made to make an impact for us right now and he actually pushed hard for the move in comparison to Timber being scared off by his NT manager

Thanks for the answer. Now I get why Lisandro will be a better option for ajax to cash out.
I do hope we get lucky with him. Our chances with Argentinians are not great so far.

Ted Lasso

Good shout on Mascherano, another DM who was converted to CB and looks great there. He's taking a page out of Pep playbook, getting a ball playing CB who could step into midfield and overloads it, and encourage the actual midfielders to go forward and create/score goals
Don't forget Alaba. Just went ahead and won himself another CL sitting at 5'11".

AussieDevil

I think he will be okay physically as long as he can master the dark arts. Between Martinez and Malacia we’ve got two lads who seem to be ready to give their all for the club. It will give the whole club a lift.

city-puma

They are all Argentinian.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Does he have some injury issues? In 3 years he’s only ever managed around 24 league appearances a season.

Central defenders that hit the ground running is the most difficult position to fill in the PL in my view - be interested to see how he gets on. Only 24 so hopefully the fans give the lad a bit of time..

vva

Does he have some injury issues? In 3 years he’s only ever managed around 24 league appearances a season.

Central defenders that hit the ground running is the most difficult position to fill in the PL in my view - be interested to see how he gets on. Only 24 so hopefully the fans give the lad a bit of time..
According to injury history on transfermarket, he's out 20 days in 19/20, 6 days in 20/21, and 72 days in 21/22. The longest one was from March to May in 2022.

jeepers

:lol: :lol: You just contradicted yourself within 2 sentences. If we over-paid yet you think it might be money well spent? :wenger:
You can over-pay for a good and it can prove itself to be well worth the overpaying. Vice versa, you over-pay for a good and the good ends up being a massive fraud/failure (Bebe, Pogba, maguire, etc). They are not mutually exclusive.

cabbs1989

Happy with this signing, his versatility will be a real asset; no issues with height etc, keefy will be absolutely gutted with the positivity

Amadevs

Supports
United
I really like your enthusiasm here, but let's not forget some points:
- he's short and mascherano and alaba have played in Spain, which is total different league from Englad
- no significant experience. He's far too expensive for someone. that hasn't been even in France, not to mention top leagues
- no other teams have been interested in him, bar us... And Arsenal , and I am not very sure how serious was their interest

I personally see another Blind in him - good player with the right attitude. But no class to be a starter and nobody knew what was his right position I really don't want to see him as a starting CB. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.