Lisandro Martinez | Signs for United

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Pub guy and Murtaugh seem to be flying all over the world to get signings done these days. We have technology sirs. Its called fax.

Pronewbie

Peep
Would change "Varane" to "Varane/Maguire".

I don't even slightly buy the idea that opting against removing the captaincy from Maguire means he will play every week (especially as many club captains aren't guaranteed starters for their side) but games will be coming thick and fast this season and there's a good chance Varane's fitness doesn't hold up either.

Also not at all convinced Malacia starts ahead of Shaw.
Vaguire

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
How’s he so good at dribbling for a cb? Can tell ten Hag is trying to make us attacking with his targets. wants players who can carry the ball further and dribble there way out of trouble… really want FDJ next.

sillwuka

People really think he’ll be a DM? Even though ten Hag has said that he isn’t one, and Martinez himself has been playing his best ever stuff at CB?

He will be our LCB with Maguire or Varane on the right.

Also, look how good he is on the ball:

It’s not even a case of he looks good on the ball for a defender. He dribbles and carries the ball nothing like a defender which is the biggest compliment I can give.
If you had only watched this compilation you'd be convinced he was a DM or a central midfielder. Impressive dribbling.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
By turning down Arsenal he's automatically a legend to my eyes, joining United or not.

Wing Attack Plan R

Thanks for the answer. Now I get why Lisandro will be a better option for ajax to cash out.
I do hope we get lucky with him. Our chances with Argentinians are not great so far.
Veron, Forlan [who is from Uruguay, as everyone knows, and is used here to uh, use up some space], Heinze, Tevez, Rojo. Pretty sure all of them were better than what we currently have. DiMaria is the only one that went tits up, far as I can remember.

Last edited:

pawanraj

So, with Varane, Martinez, Lindelof and Maguire - all four of our centre backs would be very comfortable with the ball at their feet, and be able to bring the ball out from the back. So that's exciting. From what I see, Martinez is much better at picking out a pass, or switching play than any of the options we have today.

In a perfect world, it might be possible for Martinez to play the role Rice plays for West Ham from the base of midfield, or for Martinez to come into that role from a back 3... Here's hoping.

jeronimo

Good signing. The reported fee of around €55m is too high of course, but United always get robbed on the transfer market. :wenger:
Might be played as a DM since we don't seem to be close to signing a different DM at the moment?

allesreiniger

Supports
ajax
Den Haag really likes his old players, huh. Hope Murtaugh knows what he's doing.

Also, isn't this Lizandro fella a bit short to be playing centre-back? 5"9 I heard? Does that work in the EPL? Unless he's playing in midfield.

Wonder if the history of Ajax training means we'll see Lizandro, Frankie and Der Beek in midfield together.

In any case, don't want to see Lizzie McGuire in defence - Rafa Varane is too good for the bench.
Are you for real??
I presume “den haag” was a deliberate one,
But then failing 3 times in a row on player names of your own (near future) squad?!

like Lizandro? Frankie?? Van der Beek? My god, go wash your mouth lad (or at least double check your posts before you hit a button)!

Mcking

Back 5 now looks like...

De Gea
Dalot Varane Martinez Malacia

Bit better than Maguire and Shaw anyway. Now we just need to sell and buy a RB and the defence is set.

2nd team can be

Dalot Lindelof Maguire Shaw

Progress.
I read this after every summer transfer window.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Damn.
That apply to any player at any club. For example if we sold on form Rashford we would have earned more money then if we had to sell him now. Also there is no guarantee that a signing would succeed or that a player will keep playing well.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
If it was that easy we wouldn't have clips of Lindelof being hopeless in the air while his partner marked no one. The opposition player can choose which CB to face up against.
You're right it's not that easy, but it worked quite well for Blind and Smalling. They were frequently swapping sides.

I read this after every summer transfer window.
Aye. It’s never progress until it’s visible on the pitch. Doesn’t matter how good the window looks.
Same with FDJ and Eriksen, more important will be the manager getting his message across, the players believing in him and a confident team. Without those things, all the new signings could flop, just like many before.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
As a 5 foot 8 guy this thread is not good for my self esteem.
Looking back I’m quite ashamed of my contributions in this thread as a short king.
Hey, Alexander conquered a huge chunk of the East and he was way shorter than that, Napoleon was 5'7 and Churchill 5'6. Shorties unite :D

On a serious note, Mascherano was the same height as Martinez and he was pretty good to say the least. The height thing does help centre backs but if he's got a good jump and he's combative it really shouldn't be a problem.
The 3 players legitimately contesting for greatest footballer of all time are 5'5", 5'6" and 5'7" tall. You're in the greatest company of all time, so just ignore all these naysayers!

In all seriousness, this signing, should he line up as a CB for us, is genuinely going to spark some height debates in the media. They have to get their thoughts and doubts across without appearing to be heightest, which will be an absolute hoot as the creativity with adjectives goes into overdrive. Just imagine if Martinez is actually beaten in the air and is directly responsible for a goal conceded - even if it was a perfectly normal loss of an aerial contest, additional guff will be embellished because of his height, that will be an amusing display of verbal gymnastics.

But someone, somewhere will slip up and open up a can of worms... or get themselves cancelled... off the back of this signing. The Soccer Saturday lot and a Merson might be the best bet, or Savage when he blurts out words before thinking, which is 95% of the time.

He'll be an interesting proposition for our archaic presenting teams.

Bondi77

Varane with a proper pre season behind him could prove to be beneficial to him having a real run of games. The quality isn't in doubt.

Shaw needs to be put out of his misery and I think Malacia will quickly establish himself as the number one LB.

Within a couple of months I could see Varane, Martinez and Malacia starting and I'd love it...
If Varane can stay injury free for two months I'd love it :eek:

Yagami

Good post resistant
How’s he so good at dribbling for a cb? Can tell ten Hag is trying to make us attacking with his targets. wants players who can carry the ball further and dribble there way out of trouble… really want FDJ next.
If you had only watched this compilation you'd be convinced he was a DM or a central midfielder. Impressive dribbling.
It’s the exact same for Timber. After the news broke about ten Hag joining us, I went and watched a fair bit of Ajax and my favourite thing was definitely watching Timber and Martinez at CB together. It was pretty unique seeing both CBs dribbling, keeping calm under pressure, stepping into midfield whilst Alvarez dropped deep to cover, etc.

Martinez and, hopefully, Frenkie are going to take our possession and build-up play to a whole other level. Hopefully we go back for Timber, too.

That’s one of the most exciting things for me. Everyone, regardless of their position, is going to have to be comfortable in possession, and possess the ability to play in tight spaces and under pressure.

phelans shorts

Varane with a proper pre season behind him could prove to be beneficial to him having a real run of games. The quality isn't in doubt.

Shaw needs to be put out of his misery and I think Malacia will quickly establish himself as the number one LB.

Within a couple of months I could see Varane, Martinez and Malacia starting and I'd love it...
I can see you being very, very wrong

Bondi77

So, with Varane, Martinez, Lindelof and Maguire - all four of our centre backs would be very comfortable with the ball at their feet, and be able to bring the ball out from the back. So that's exciting. From what I see, Martinez is much better at picking out a pass, or switching play than any of the options we have today.

In a perfect world, it might be possible for Martinez to play the role Rice plays for West Ham from the base of midfield, or for Martinez to come into that role from a back 3... Here's hoping.
Don't think he has the engine Rice has but I am looking forward to seeing him perform

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I’m interested to know what made you think it all looked “fairly simple”? Have you been at the negotiating tables?
what negotiating tables? not sure the suits have made it that far! As for simple: new boss going after players he knows and who seemed interested in coming ie Timber, plus a free agent Eriksen. Of course, I should have remembered that United don't do "simple" when it comes to transfers

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Should be done in a month then :boring:
Tell me you play football manager without telling me you play football manager.

Fun fact: Sterling only officially signed for Chelsea yesterday despite agreeing personal terms and the agreement weeks ago.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
what negotiating tables? not sure the suits have made it that far! As for simple: new boss going after players he knows and who seemed interested in coming ie Timber, plus a free agent Eriksen. Of course, I should have remembered that United don't do "simple" when it comes to transfers
Calm yourself.

Millions of pounds/euros exchanging hands is never simple

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Why wasn’t he played there more often? Isn’t it a more influential role in the side where he would have contributed more?
Though excellent on the ball, you prefer someone even better on the ball in midfield, someone more dynamic, better dribblers in midfield.

As for Ajax, Martinez is better on the ball than Alvarez, but Alvarez gives the midfield more of a physical presence and he is even more of a bulldozer. Wins the ball and gives it to the defenders/Gravenberch.

The buildup started from the back for Ajax, and Martinez, Blind, Mazraoui, Timber were ideal for that. Mind, I can't think of many teams who had a set of better ball playing defenders.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Does it not get tiring, constantly moaning? Of the two you've listed, one has agreed to come and the other, we've agreed a fee but the move has been delayed due to factors outside of our control.

Even Timber, it's widespread news that he was talked out of a move by his national team manager.

What would you have liked the club to have done different?
What City and Liverpool have done maybe... you know, actually sign the players before going on tour. Look at all the clubs around us (and even newly promoted ones): they've got players in. Do you think it's coincidence that summer after summer we go drawn into convoluted situations? I'd call it realism rather than moaning. I could ask if it doesn't get tiring to be constantly disappointed when we miss out on targets and get lesser targets at the last minute instead

Status
Not open for further replies.