List down all the bad decisions by the club since 2013

flappyjay

Moyes

Lvg looked like a good decision on the time
Not hiring a dof after the Moyes and Lvg mess

Hiring Jose
Extending Jose's contract
Sanchez, Lukaku and Matic buys were debated a lot on this forum which showed concerns that armchair fans like ourselves could see Matic and Rom were not good enough. Sanchez was considered a bad fit as no one knew where he would fit in, low and behold we were right.

Not getting a dof
Giving Ole a permanent contract
Getting rid of 2 important squad members without replacements

snowkarl

Wouldn't it be way, way easier to list the good ones?

Because there are extremely few

Bojan11

Not binning LVG when Klopp was available because he guided us to 4th.

Eric's Seagull

1. Not selling it to someone who cares about results on the field as much as they do about profit.
  2. Not sacking Ed Woodward.
  3. Giving Moyes a 6 year contract.
  4. Extending Jose's contract and then not fully backing Jose last season, they should have backed him or sacked him.
  5. Paying Sanchez such insane wages.
  6. Not replacing Herrera and Lukaku and not getting a right winger.
  7. Giving Rashford such high contract.
  8. Giving Jones, Rojo and Mata new contracts.

Abusian

1. Letting SAF and David Gill retire at the same time.
2. Getting rid of Rio, Vida and Pat within a year of each other.
3. Letting Moyes get rid of training staff with United DNA = no continuity
4. Failing to recruit a top class DoF.
5. Giving OGS permanent role when we could have waited until the end of the season
6. Letting two experienced strikers go with no replacements
7. Failure to sign quality central midfielder

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
1. David Gill & Sir Alex leaving at the same time without planning for their replacements.
2. Replacing David Gill with Ed Woodward & Sir Alex with Moyes.
3. Letting Moyes take his full vacation wihout preparing for the job in charge.
4. Letting Moyes get rid of the coaching team that was supposed to make a transition easier for a new manager.
5. Buying Fellaini after his release-clause had gone, just because they didn't want to sign someone from Everton as his first signing, ending up paying more for the player.
6. Almost every transfer in we've had post-Fergie (I'm excluding Herrera, Shaw, Pogba, Romero, Zlatan & Martial, but all of those bar Romero is arguable).
7. Getting rid of every experienced player we had in the squad that was any good without properly replacing them.
8. Extending contracts of players who are useless either because of injury, age or a lack of talent, giving them so high wages that getting them off our books is damn near impossible.
9. Hiring Moyes who plays counter-football with focus on the wings, then going for LvG who is so afraid of getting hit that he keeps the ball without doing anything with it, then going to Mourinho who had soured things up ever since his Real days and fecked up his reunion with Chelsea and had them struggling at the lower end of the table before finally hiring a manager in Ole with zero positive experience at any level above the Norwegian league.
10. Keeping Woodward on football matters alongside whoever makes decisions with him.

One could make arguments that failing to inform LvG about his end with the club before it reaching him through the media is laughable, but while he is licking his wounds over that he forgets that the club did the exact same things when hiring him after Moyes. I think both of them deserved shit treatment, but it's still bad from the club.
There is loads more, but I can't be arsed to write anymore.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I find it crazy that the two CBs we've let go in recent years were our best two.

Selling/loaning out Smalling and Blind whilst still having Rojo, Bailly, Jones and Lindelof is just so silly.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Allowing Moyes to get rid of all of SAFs backroom staff.

But the single biggest issue since SAF retired was allowing Gill to leave at same time and then allowing Woodward to have omnipotent powers over footballing matters. As others have said, everything stems from that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Still the biggest one was appointing that loser Moyes and allowing him to gut our backroom staff. People who knew what it took to win.

It all goes back to that.
That’s the only decision Woodward can’t be blamed for. Gill/SAF were still on board when that appointment was sanctioned so I doubt Woodward had the power to overturn even if he wanted.

Woodward has had the right intentions a lot of the time, but has never had the footballing knowledge or nous to make the best decisions.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Hiring Moyes.
Hiring LVG
Hiring Jose
Hiring Ole
Losing Herrera
Signing Sanchez
Signing poor players (too many to mention)
Persisting with Rooney
Selling Smalling
Selling Blding
Ed Woodward

Alabaster Codify7

Too many to list. It's a constant dribble of poor decisions since 2013 and it shows no signs of stopping. The only way it stops is if the club falls into the bottom half of the table and they cannot spin things anymore. We're heading in the right direction, in that case. We'll be lucky to finish top 8 this season. Next season, who knows.

Lentwood

There are hundreds of individual bad decisions but I think it boils down to the following “big decisions” which have affected and caused all of the little mistakes

- Net positive transfer spend between 2005 & 2010 caused squad decay

- Appointing Moyes

- Not having a DoF in place and not addressing a Scouting system so poor a manager joining us from a mid table team was shocked

- Appointing Woodward

- Sacking LvG and crowbarring in Jose, without really understanding what appointing Jose Mourinho means

- Still no DoF

lsd

The Oracle
Missing Klopp was a big error by us he was made for a club like us

f_to_z

And much more...the down fall has started when Woodward started pulling strings at United. Before that it was smooth sailing.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Are they expecting to finish top 4? I don't think they are.

Frank Grimes

Never understood the hate that Fellaini got. The epitome of a scapegoat if ever there was one. He actually did ok in a shite team but was blamed for making a team shite. So mental.

clarkydaz

1. David Gill & Sir Alex leaving at the same time without planning for their replacements.
2. Replacing David Gill with Ed Woodward & Sir Alex with Moyes.
3. Letting Moyes take his full vacation wihout preparing for the job in charge.
4. Letting Moyes get rid of the coaching team that was supposed to make a transition easier for a new manager.
5. Buying Fellaini after his release-clause had gone, just because they didn't want to sign someone from Everton as his first signing, ending up paying more for the player.
6. Almost every transfer in we've had post-Fergie (I'm excluding Herrera, Shaw, Pogba, Romero, Zlatan & Martial, but all of those bar Romero is arguable).
7. Getting rid of every experienced player we had in the squad that was any good without properly replacing them.
8. Extending contracts of players who are useless either because of injury, age or a lack of talent, giving them so high wages that getting them off our books is damn near impossible.
9. Hiring Moyes who plays counter-football with focus on the wings, then going for LvG who is so afraid of getting hit that he keeps the ball without doing anything with it, then going to Mourinho who had soured things up ever since his Real days and fecked up his reunion with Chelsea and had them struggling at the lower end of the table before finally hiring a manager in Ole with zero positive experience at any level above the Norwegian league.
10. Keeping Woodward on football matters alongside whoever makes decisions with him.

One could make arguments that failing to inform LvG about his end with the club before it reaching him through the media is laughable, but while he is licking his wounds over that he forgets that the club did the exact same things when hiring him after Moyes. I think both of them deserved shit treatment, but it's still bad from the club.
There is loads more, but I can't be arsed to write anymore.
Lvg was always respectful to the club and we were the most organised under him. Dull to watch but he didnt deserve to be shit on by the club

beingshe7don

I think one of our biggest mistakes was letting Fergie choose his successor. Also, everybody focused on Fergie and completely forgot how important David Gill was to our transfers. We should have gone with an experienced manager back then since Gill also left along with Fergie. Klopp should have been our No. 1 target back then based on what he did with Dortmund. He also had a swagger and the passion what made Fergie such a legendary manager.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Lvg was always respectful to the club and we were the most organised under him. Dull to watch but he didnt deserve to be shit on by the club
Was it respectful of him to talk about joining while Moyes was under contract and thought he had time?
It wasn't respectful towards the fans who sang attack attack attack to never attack.

Milo2035

Anyone notice a goal kick basically means giving the ball back to opposition team now ? It's utterly embarrassing.

buckooo1978

maybe fits in around 5 or so but Woodward fecking up the approach for Klopp

that was a sliding doors moment

imagine the football we'd have enjoyed the last 4 years

POF

It has been one terrible decision after another and Woodward has to take responsibility for that. The transition post Fergie has been handled about as poorly as it possibly could and the club still seems to have no idea how to structure the football department of the club. A slight issue for a football club.

But the stupidest decision the club has made post Fergie was entrusting a complete squad overhaul to LVG, a manager who had a poor record of recruitment and was always planning to retire after a maximum of 3 years. He spent an absolute fortune and his successor proceeded to attempt to sell every one of his signings. It was stupidity of the highest order and so predictable that Stevie Wonder could have seen it coming.

RedCoffee

Rants that backfired
Letting Fergie and Gill retire at the same time was our biggest mistake as it threw the running of the entire club into chaos.

clarkydaz

Was it respectful of him to talk about joining while Moyes was under contract and thought he had time?
It wasn't respectful towards the fans who sang attack attack attack to never attack.
I don't recall LVG being mentioned at all whilst Moyes was manager. Remind me when he started talking about us. my memory was when he was at the world cup as Holland manager

stubie

Neglecting the stadium has to be up there

Manchester United should not have weeds coming out the concrete along with leaky roofs

Stepney73

This thread should be from 2009 and not 2013 because when the likes of ronaldo and tevez left only to be replaced with average players was the start of the decline even though we had enough left in the tank(and the brilliance of SAF)for another title or two.

Bringing scholes out of retirement rather than getting a new player in set alarm bells ringing for me.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I don't recall LVG being mentioned at all whilst Moyes was manager. Remind me when he started talking about us. my memory was when he was at the world cup as Holland manager
My bad, I was writing half-asleep.

What I meant was that we (the club) had no issues with doing to Moyes with LvG what we did to LvG with Mourinho.
In other words for the club it's par for the course to talk with a potential new manager before the current one knows that he'll be fired.
I was way off the point for sure.

Let me try again, now that I'm more awake:
We were organized to not lose the ball. We didn't do anything with it, we were boring. That was disrespectful towards the fans of a team that expected attacking football and got less than 50 goals in a season. For comparison, Blackpool were relegated in 2011 after scoring 55 goals & Sunderland just avoided relegation with 48 goals, one less than us that season.
The pragmatism people hated from Mourinho was there with LvG as well, the difference between them was that one wanted to keep the ball and the other didn't want it at all.

By the look of things, Van Gaal decided to join us when he turned Tottenham down, which to me seems like he likely was talking to the club while Moyesies time was closing in on him. Now I'm not saying he was at fault if that is the case, it takes two to communicate but I think it's natural for the club to look at successors before firing a manager and the manager job is a fish-eat-fish kind of job since normally someone has to be fired for someone to be hired at the highest level.

Besides, it's not like Van Gaal has been flawless in how he has acted either:

I'm a "LvG hater", so getting anywhere with me that goes towards LvG being good for us in any way will be a hard task. :p

atticus finch

We have not had a proper creative midfielder since ........ can't remember its been so long.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Getting rid of Lukaku and not replacing him was one of the worst decisions in a long time. Yesterday was crying out for a striker like him.

Rashford/Greenwood/Martial are all too similar.