Liverpool 2014/15 | WARNING: Contains strong amounts of Scouse nonsense

Shark

@NotShark
There's also the argument that teams don't play on paper and that Liverpool as a TEAM looked more fluid than all of those teams for longer periods last season. Fluidity and tempo that I rarely see with attacks coming from all angles and harrying in midfield with great effect. To simply use Suarez as the only reason for that style of play is daft. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts when it comes to Liverpool. Furthermore, last season some of Liverpool's players were better than United's world class players so (AGAIN) the simplicity of the argument ignores more subtle factors that are being wilfully ignored to concoct an image of Liverpool in demise.

Last season:
Sturridge > Rooney & RvP
Sterling & Coutinho > Mata
Under a clueless manager who nobody wanted to play under. We now have somebody worthy of stepping into SAF's shoes. It's a big fecking difference.

Shark

@NotShark
Quite apart from anything else Sturridge was more effective than Rooney & Mata last season. So is he not "world class too"?
One good season doesn't make a player world class and the same goes for managers. Mata and Rooney have had several seasons playing at a high level. If you can't see the difference well then I just don't know.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
One good season doesn't make a player world class and the same goes for managers. Mata and Rooney have had several seasons playing at a high level. If you can't see the difference well then I just don't know.
Rooney and Mata world class is nonsense.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Meaningless goading.

The reality is that a short term measure is rarely as good as a longer one. Remember, despite our diabolical season last year, by New Years Day the difference between Liverpool and United was only 5 points. The only difference after 5 months and 20 games was the head to head between the two. So even until Xmas last year Liverpool were hardly pulling up trees. When you lost to Arsenal away, there was no sense of it being a big result for them, just another normal Liverpool loss.
Orwellian double-speak maths of the highest order.

Liverpool's supremacy over United last season wasn't just down to Liverpool's form over 2/3 months it was evident from the start of the season and the gap in points between the two teams naturally widened as Liverpool improved and United worsened. There's plenty of examples of teams keeping in touch with better teams only for it go wrong after Christmas. Liverpool were away to virtually all the top teams before Christmas - the second half was always going to be more plentiful.

Also, I wasn't 'goading' regarding United fans' "it'll be back to normal next season" attitude. It's a genuine belief that if LvG adopts the count-the-medals approach to squad management it'll go wrong as quickly as it did for Moyes.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
How is it nonsense?
Because they are not world class! That suggests they are Messi level, which they aren't by a long way.

Liverpool don't have a single world class player I admit but it's a term used far too freely on "good to very good players"
Quite apart from anything else Mata hasn't performed at a high level for any length of time, he couldn't even get in Chelsea's team. Not that he isn't a very good player, world class is on another level.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
To be fair last season most people would say we had a weaker squad than those then too.
We seem to be operating on the basis that all events last season will have no impact on the new season. #flashinthepan

Shark

@NotShark
Because they are not world class! That suggests they are Messi level, which they aren't by a long way.

Liverpool don't have a single world class player I admit but it's a term used far too freely on "good to very good players"
So you need to be at Messi/Ronaldo levels to be considered world class in your book? :lol:

No player will ever be world class again if that was the case. Those players are on another planet.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Under a clueless manager who nobody wanted to play under. We now have somebody worthy of stepping into SAF's shoes. It's a big fecking difference.
OK, fine. But why are you ignoring Liverpool's own manager who has made a "big fecking difference"?

Again, it seems that all the variables we are playing with here only seem to garner positives for United while Liverpool are all set for failure.

Deleted member 78215

I don't think Liverpool have a player as good as Mata or RVP. I think most would concur with that.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
So you need to be at Messi/Ronaldo levels to be considered world class in your book? :lol:

No player will ever be world class again if that was the case. Those players are on another planet.
I think we can agree that Mata is not world class, no?

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think Liverpool have a player as good as Mata or RVP. I think most would concur with that.
As long as Mata is better on paper I will agree with it all day long. He was bang average from January.

Shark

@NotShark
OK, fine. But why are you ignoring Liverpool's own manager who has made a "big fecking difference"?

Again, it seems that all the variables we are playing with here only seem to garner positives for United while Liverpool are all set for failure.
I'm not ignoring anything. Rodgers still has a lot to prove and I mean a lot. He deserves credit, but this 'quality' manager thing is rubbish.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Depends on the circumstances, last season I would say we had players as good (if not better). Whether that will remain so over a length of time I can't deny is debatable.

Deleted member 78215

As long as Mata is better on paper I will agree with it all day long. He was bang average from January.
Surely you can recognise that Moyes had a big part to play in a lot of our players' poor performances? Mata is a brilliant player.

Deleted member 78215

Depends on the circumstances, last season I would say we had players as good (if not better). Whether that will remain so over a length of time I can't deny is debatable.
No doubt, form wise, your team was streaks ahead of United's. But, hypothetically, if we're talking both teams on top form, I'd go with United.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I'm not ignoring anything. Rodgers still has a lot to prove and I mean a lot. He deserves credit, but this 'quality' manager thing is rubbish.
If we just want to get bogged down in semantics of what quality means then it's a pointless discussion. However, if you want to reduce Rodgers' remarkable work with a shallow squad then I see that as foolhardy. Nobody has ever suggested he's the done deal but credit where it's due given what he's done to the surprise of everyone.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Mata was sat on the bench at Chelsea for months before joining us. Of course he wasn't going to come in at his world class level straight away.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
No doubt, form wise, your team was streaks ahead of United's. But, hypothetically, if we're talking both teams on top form, I'd go with United.
I don't have a problem with that, though after last season you would admit you have a lot to prove. I mean if United had so many "world class" players, surely irrespective of the merits of the manager that would shine through wouldn't it?

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Talking about teams on form, I'm happy with what Liverpool did last season while in form. Few could touch us.

Shark

@NotShark
I don't have a problem with that, though after last season you would admit you have a lot to prove. I mean if United had so many "world class" players, surely irrespective of the merits of the manager that would shine through wouldn't it?
Nobody has said that we have 'many' world class players, but we do have more than you currently. Also, you've never seen top players under-perform under a clueless and manager of very little respect at the highest level? then again very few clubs of our stature would take a risk like that. At least we've put things right now though.

Cereal Killer

I think we can agree that Mata is not world class, no?
Depends. Currently, he isn't. But would you argue he wasn't when he was played at Chelsea?

World class literally means ranking amongst the best in the world. Mata was easily amongst the best number 10's in the world during his time in London. He's still only 26, plenty of time to regain that tag.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Nobody has said that we have 'many' world class players, but we do have more than you currently. Also, you've never seen top players under-perform under a clueless and manager of very little respect at the highest level? then again very few clubs of our stature would take a risk like that. At least we've put things right now though.
We don't have in my mind any world class players, but you don't have hardly any either.
It depends on the definition, you say Mata is I would say Sturridge is - on last seasons form.
To my mind both are very good players, neither "world class".

You have on paper an extremely good manager now, can't deny that after last season. But it's too early to say everything is alright now, sure you will be stronger but it's a tough league to call just now.

Also our lack of world class talent nearly took us to the title last season - of course you have to do that consistently - but it's the team/squad that's more important. The latter let us down last season but the manager is now building on that and the depth of squad is getting stronger.
I suppose Suarez was our world class player, how we get on without him we will have to see.

Last edited:

bishblaize

Also our lack of world class talent nearly took us to the title last season - of course you have to do that consistently - but it's the team/squad that's more important. The latter let us down last season but the manager is now building on that and the depth of squad is getting stronger.
I think most observers would say it was your one world class talent that almost took you to the title.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I think most observers would say it was your one world class talent that almost took you to the title.
Meh. I think that's lazy.

We were a lot less reliant on Suarez in the second half of the season. The second half of the season was all about the team running rampant. Sturridge was excellent, Sterling became better and better, Coutinho bossed teams and Gerrard settled masterfully into the deeper role with Lucas out. Mostly, it was about a unit from midfield to attack that all had the quality and tactical understanding to execute our attacking gameplan to great effect. As a team, we just moved the ball too quickly and too well for teams to cope.

Suarez was a great cog in that machine but he wasn't the pivot it revolved around. Actually, by the end of the season, Sterling was becoming the go-to guy when other players weren't really sure what to do with the ball.

From the time he came back from suspension up until december, Suarez was an absolute one-man show though. We were treading water for a top 4 challenge before he came back and he was basically ending teams singlehandedly for a good 10-12 games straight or so.

So whilst I am happy to say we'd be nowhere near a title challenge without him, I don't think it's accurate to say that the team we saw in the second half of the season, which was by far the best football we played, was highly reliant on Suarez to function. You could throw in another very good player around Sterling/Suarez' level and it'd still work to a similar effect.

Shark

@NotShark
Meh. I think that's lazy.

We were a lot less reliant on Suarez in the second half of the season. The second half of the season was all about the team running rampant. Sturridge was excellent, Sterling became better and better, Coutinho bossed teams and Gerrard settled masterfully into the deeper role with Lucas out. Mostly, it was about a unit from midfield to attack that all had the quality and tactical understanding to execute our attacking gameplan to great effect. As a team, we just moved the ball too quickly and too well for teams to cope.

Suarez was a great cog in that machine but he wasn't the pivot it revolved around. Actually, by the end of the season, Sterling was becoming the go-to guy when other players weren't really sure what to do with the ball.

From the time he came back from suspension up until december, Suarez was an absolute one-man show though. We were treading water for a top 4 challenge before he came back and he was basically ending teams singlehandedly for a good 10-12 games straight or so.

So whilst I am happy to say we'd be nowhere near a title challenge without him, I don't think it's accurate to say that the team we saw in the second half of the season, which was by far the best football we played, was highly reliant on Suarez to function. You could throw in another very good player around Sterling/Suarez' level and it'd still work to a similar effect.
Some of that may be true, but I do think you guys are underestimating the impact that Suarez' presence alone has on the opposition. It scares them. It was the same when we had Ronaldo and when RVP was in the form of his life the season before last.

You don't have that player opposition will be talking 24/7 in the dressing room. That player that distracts defenders from paying attention to anyone else on the pitch.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I think that's his point, that you require a player of that quality, which with him gone, you don't currently quite have.
I believe we're still looking for signing more on the level of Shaqiri or similar. That will be more than good enough. Doesn't need to be a Suarez level player to maintain the dynamic.

Otherwise, we'll need to cross our fingers that Markovic hits the ground running and that Lallana was just waiting for a better team to shine in to make another step up.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Some of that may be true, but I do think you guys are underestimating the impact that Suarez' presence alone has on the opposition. It scares them. It was the same when we had Ronaldo and when RVP was in the form of his life the season before last.

You don't have that player opposition will be talking 24/7 in the dressing room. That player that distracts defenders from paying attention to anyone else on the pitch.
I have some hope Sterling will become that. He's already every fullbacks nightmare as it is.

Kinda sucks for him that we're halfway needing him to be that guy already though.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Thanks!

If you really think your pre-Xmas performance was good, then fine. I'd be happy to see you play like that next season.
Pre-Christmas form? Liverpool were top on Christmas Day. I'd take that as well.

ZDwyr

One of the Liverpool supporters, what will be the plan for Jordan Rossiter next season? I assume he's too young to go on loan or anything. Will he get a look-in for some friendlies? He's really rated on FM and usually becomes a star.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
One of the Liverpool supporters, what will be the plan for Jordan Rossiter next season? I assume he's too young to go on loan or anything. Will he get a look-in for some friendlies? He's really rated on FM and usually becomes a star.
He played yesterday against Brondby , the first 45 mins. Only recently signed a professional contract, still just a kid at 17. Can see him playing in the U21s this season.

ZDwyr

He played yesterday against Brondby , the first 45 mins. Only recently signed a professional contract, still just a kid at 17. Can see him playing in the U21s this season.
Oh right. I didn't realise he played yesterday. Didn't see his name mentioned so i'm assuming he didn't do a whole lot then.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Oh right. I didn't realise he played yesterday. Didn't see his name mentioned so i'm assuming he didn't do a whole lot then.
Hard to say, against a team well in advance of pre-season work as their league campaign starts next weekend. Just building up on fitness I suppose.
Others such as Ibe, Smith and Petersen stood out more, but we played a very young team and he is only 17.

Last edited:

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Think he'll get a bit of league cup action and that is it. Great talent, but he's a 17 year old midfielder....