Liverpool - 2017/18

Rafateria

I'd have thought there was more chance of Salah being sold this summer than there was of Coutinho being sold in January. To say there's 'no chance' of Salah leaving is a preposterous stance to take.
What you would 'like' to see happen as a Manc supporter and the stance LFC would certainly take are clearly on different planes.

Rafateria

That's what you want to believe, but to out right say there's no chance is fiction, blind fiction. You don't know for certain.
And of course the earth could be hit by a meteor or LFC sold and a new owner want to cash in on a valuable player .... however anyone with any degree of sense would see that those are distinctly remote possibilities. As is the chance that Salah would be sold this Summer, nothing is impossible though but after selling Coutinho the odds must be remote to say the least.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
What you would 'like' to see happen as a Manc supporter and the stance LFC would certainly take are clearly on different planes.
Sadly for Scousers, the precedent has been set by Coutinho now. All Salah has to do is bitch, moan and effectively refuse to play and he'll get whatever move he desires. Simples.

tomaldinho1

Anyone think Klopp might leave in summer? Let's say another trophyless season comes around, he might look at City, United, Chelsea, Spurs (with new stadium) and just think it's too big a task to compete domestically - it's been nearly three years and the Gerrard slip season with Brendan was still easily the closest to PL success they have come.

I still think Klopp has a good reputation and he might fancy a move should another big club start looking.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
The "second best team" in the land getting outplayed by the worst two teams in the PL consecutively.

Godfather

He will be sold rather sooner than later I hope you realise that. No way he will say no to a club that can actually win things.

Thisistheone

How come they seem to be having a slump in form in January again? Is it burn out or a post Coutinho hangover?

And what's happened to Mane? Looks half the player from 6 months ago.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Did he say that?
I don't know :D

We've seen all this last Summer. Just the Spanish press ramping it up for their readers. The 'to be announced and introduced to Barca fans next Tuesday' was absolutely hilarious !

Absolutely no way he's leaving this January so just sit back and enjoy the January Barca media comedy show !
Sorry Rafa.

beep

Klopp's middle name is Norbert.

Jurgen Norbert Klopp.....or JuNK for short.

#appropriate

Obi-Red-Kenobi

Supports
Liverpool
With this Liverpool team, you never quite know what you’re going to get.

Before last weekend, we were unbeaten in 18 games, and before last night we had been unbeaten at home for almost a year. This is still a very good Liverpool team, who are on the same or similar amount of points than we were in 2013/2014, where we apparrantly threw the league away despite winning 12 and drawing 1 of the last 14 games, having spent less than 50% of the time Arsenal were top, and also less time than City st the top, but hey ho.

However, what can’t be ignored, despite us Liverpool fans hating this, is the leaking of goals at stupid times, or the unexpected capitulation at other times, with Sevilla, Bournemouth and Arsenal to name a few examples.

Is it the system? The players? The keepers? Who knows, but we remind me of Keegans Newcastle, amazing going forward, but you always suspect a goal could come at any time. If we get one, we have to get 2, otherwise opposing players always know a charitable gift will come at some point.

What is clear, is that this team, who have only lost 3 league games all season (1 was away to Spurs, and 1 was with 10 men at City), is a very good team, one that is accumulating more points, season on season since Klopp arrived.

My fear, is that Klopp always waits for the players he wants, which in a sensible, common-sense world, would be the right and proper thing to do, but there is never a compromise.

We write seasons off in January, waiting for that player in the summer, whilst City, UTD and others understand what they want and get it. Patience is great, it really is, and in 2-3 years of waiting and signing that perfect player, we will no doubt get stronger, but in that 2-3 years, City, UTD and Arsenal have most likely hoovered up all the domestic trophies, and all strengthened their squads, leaving us in a continued, never ending square one.

ZAGREB RED

Wasn't even going to bother watching last night, switched on just when WBA scored the VAR disallowed goal at 2-1, glad I watched it after all.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
This is much closer to the likelihood of what will happen in reality.
What we've done with Suarez and Coutinho indicates we squeezed one more season out of deeply unhappy players. At the moment Salah is OK. But if Real, or PSG even, come in with a 150m+ offer and we're languishing in mid table then his dad, Mido, the whole of Egypt, Tutankamun's spirit, the Bangles, etc, will be telling him to get out ASAP.

As for Can and Firmino we'll have that discussion another time as I know you're under the cosh in here right now and I like your posts in general.

Rafateria

Sadly for Scousers, the precedent has been set by Coutinho now. All Salah has to do is bitch, moan and effectively refuse to play and he'll get whatever move he desires. Simples.
That's pretty much the template for al players. However what is our track record for wantaways (Suarez and Coutinho) ? Did they get what they wanted in just a couple of months ?

Rafateria

Doesn't Salah have a release clause?
Not to our knowledge. This is the reason Can won't re-sign, we won't give him the release clause he's asking for as it would set a precedent (because otherwise in his case it would make sense).

Rafateria

Always amazed how people come out with definitive statements like that. Not just about Liverpool or football.

Does @Rafateria really believe that if real came there is no chance Salah would be sold?
You don't read enough RedCafe it seems - it's choc full of definitive statements ;)

I've no doubt that if RM come knocking he will be sold ... but not this Summer. As Kraftwerker said above .. I guess it'll happen in a couple of years if he continues as he is now. And he will cost them a lot more than Coutinho.

Rafateria

What we've done with Suarez and Coutinho indicates we squeezed one more season out of deeply unhappy players. At the moment Salah is OK. But if Real, or PSG even, come in with a 150m+ offer and we're languishing in mid table then his dad, Mido, the whole of Egypt, Tutankamun's spirit, the Bangles, etc, will be telling him to get out ASAP.

As for Can and Firmino we'll have that discussion another time as I know you're under the cosh in here right now and I like your posts in general.
Haha Ok mate. And yes I'm in agreement with you on what could happen theoretically .. however as I said above, we haven't ever given in and sold a player as soon as they make their intentions known and I strongly doubt we would with Salah, it would be another Suarez/Coutinho situation with a massive fee and a delayed departure. I've never said he wouldn't be sold .. just that there is virtually no chance (IMHO) of him being sold this Summer.

Devil81

How long before Klopp is for the chop?

Surely gotta get top four or he's gone. I can see Rafa wanking himself into a frenzy in the hope he could get linked to go back.

mav_9me

You don't read enough RedCafe it seems - it's choc full of definitive statements ;)

I've no doubt that if RM come knocking he will be sold ... but not this Summer. As Kraftwerker said above .. I guess it'll happen in a couple of years if he continues as he is now. And he will cost them a lot more than Coutinho.
Maybe it is full of definitive statements. Am talking more about the future but yeah even they surprise me. Most of the time I don't take them statements seriously such as people saying VVD will absolutely be a flop etc....

The world of transfers is extremely unpredictable. The most predictable thing is if real or barca want a player they'll get him. Even that doesn't happen 100% of the time.

DreamIsh

Supports
Liverpool
Oh. Last night wasn’t bad dream? That actually happened. Brilliant.

For any pool fans here’s my thoughts:
First. We concede 3 goals and people are talking about Coutinho? We do miss him, but not last night. We created plenty.

Im more thinking about how our midfield of Chamberlain, Wijnaldum, Can is absolute garbage compared to the rest of the top 6.

There’s no goals, assists, physicality or tough tacklers.... it’s all legs. Just runners. Engines who can cover a lot of ground.
Most sides have maybe one of these types of players in their midfield. Take Chelsea for example, they have Kanté to fill that hard working engine role. But the rest of them are different. We have 3 of the same type! (Also they are nothing compared to Kanté)

We’re calling out for a physical defensive midfielder. Our defensive frailties aren’t down to individual mistakes, how many defenders do we have to go through before people realise this?
Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren, Matip, VVD... you telling me they all make mistakes? That’s some mighty bad luck in the transfer market then isn’t it? What should we do now? Buy another CB? Ffs.

We know for a fact that VVD is a good defender, and had he of gone to Chelsea or Manchester City he would of looked amazing. But put him in our back line and he looks mediocre at best.

Why? Because there’s no covering defensive midfielder. Now I’m not saying all teams need a DM, but with Klopps open expansive style of play it’s VITAL.
Our defense is under way too much pressure, even in games we should be dominating.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

Like Coutinho, Sterling, Suarez, Torres, Alonso and Mascherano among others, Mo Salah will be seeking greener pastures come the end of the season. He is clearly a step above Liverpool and the tactically inefficient Jurgen Klopp. Selling their best players is what your club do, there is no getting around that fact.

Salah will not go for more than Coutinho, I have no idea what led you to that conclusion.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Since 13/14 Liverpool have had a better set of attackers than us, in particular Suarez and Coutinho and their ability to create something out of nothing. The gap has been closed now and it will be key for them who they bring in or who steps up to fill the void.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Oh. Last night wasn’t bad dream? That actually happened. Brilliant.

For any pool fans here’s my thoughts:
First. We concede 3 goals and people are talking about Coutinho? We do miss him, but not last night. We created plenty.

Im more thinking about how our midfield of Chamberlain, Wijnaldum, Can is absolute garbage compared to the rest of the top 6.

There’s no goals, assists, physicality or tough tacklers.... it’s all legs. Just runners. Engines who can cover a lot of ground.
Most sides have maybe one of these types of players in their midfield. Take Chelsea for example, they have Kanté to fill that hard working engine role. But the rest of them are different. We have 3 of the same type! (Also they are nothing compared to Kanté)

We’re calling out for a physical defensive midfielder. Our defensive frailties aren’t down to individual mistakes, how many defenders do we have to go through before people realise this?
Skrtel, Sakho, Lovren, Matip, VVD... you telling me they all make mistakes? That’s some mighty bad luck in the transfer market then isn’t it? What should we do now? Buy another CB? Ffs.

We know for a fact that VVD is a good defender, and had he of gone to Chelsea or Manchester City he would of looked amazing. But put him in our back line and he looks mediocre at best.

Why? Because there’s no covering defensive midfielder. Now I’m not saying all teams need a DM, but with Klopps open expansive style of play it’s VITAL.
Our defense is under way too much pressure, even in games we should be dominating
Klopp is well aware of the pressure his strategy puts on his defense, yet he lacks the tactical awareness to address the issue. He is of the belief, somewhat naively I might add, that adding top class defenders will solve the problem.

His system, although strong in a creative sence, is highly susceptible to an efficient counter-attacking team and one that is willing to sit deep and wait for their chance. Jose has proven this already this season, yet he wasn't daring enough to throw men forward when the opportunity presented itself. I think that was down to lack of confidence in his players ability more than anything. United have since closed the gap when it comes to personnel and the game at OT will see us far more daring in attack.

DreamIsh

Supports
Liverpool
Klopp is well aware of the pressure his strategy puts on his defense, yet he lacks the tactical awareness to address the issue. He is of the belief, somewhat naively I might add, that adding top class defenders will solve the problem.

His system, although strong in a creative sence, is highly susceptible to an efficient counter-attacking team and one that is willing to sit deep and wait for their chance. Jose has proven this already this season, yet he wasn't daring enough to throw men forward when the opportunity presented itself. I think that was down to lack of confidence in his personnel more than anything, the game at OT will see United a lot more daring.
I don’t even think we have the midfield personell to address the problem. Sticking in someone as a makeshift DM won’t do anything. We need someone naturally suited to the role. No whether there’s something he can do tactically, like a formation change, I don’t know.

The United game will be interesting. I can seen Jose sitting back the entire game and our attack being unable to open up the defence