Liverpool - 2017/18

Rafateria

Like Coutinho, Sterling, Suarez, Torres, Alonso and Mascherano among others, Mo Salah will be seeking greener pastures come the end of the season. He is clearly a step above Liverpool and the tactically inefficient Jurgen Klopp. Selling their best players is what your club do, there is no getting around that fact.

Salah will not go for more than Coutinho, I have no idea what led you to that conclusion.
That list just demonstrates to us all how little you know about Liverpool - since clearly 2-3 of them weren't in the same 'seeking greener pastures' bracket as Suarez/Coutinho. It must irk you something terrible that this 'tactically inefficient Jurgen Klopp' still has us within 6 points of this the brilliant Jose and his super efficient points winning machine despite him being clearly inept.

And I've literally no idea why you seem to think a goalscorer (amongst the Top 5 in Europe) would not sell for more than a midfielder - despite history clearly indicating that's quite the contrary.

Kraftwerker

Formerly RedAddict
I don’t even think we have the midfield personell to address the problem. Sticking in someone as a makeshift DM won’t do anything. We need someone naturally suited to the role. No whether there’s something he can do tactically, like a formation change, I don’t know.

The United game will be interesting. I can seen Jose sitting back the entire game and our attack being unable to open up the defence
You’re naive if you think we’ll play the same at Old Trafford as we did at Anfield.

We’re incredibly strong at home and will take the game to you, like you failed to do against us in the Anfield tie.

Ban

That list just demonstrates to us all how little you know about Liverpool - since clearly 2-3 of them weren't in the same 'seeking greener pastures' bracket as Suarez/Coutinho. It must irk you something terrible that this 'tactically inefficient Jurgen Klopp' still has us within 6 points of this the brilliant Jose and his super efficient points winning machine despite him being clearly inept.

And I've literally no idea why you seem to think a goalscorer (amongst the Top 5 in Europe) would not sell for more than a midfielder - despite history clearly indicating that's quite the contrary.
You poor soul. You can't talk about Liverpool without bringing in United and Jose somehow.

Are you honestly satisfied with how this season is going on?

Ban

I'll take that bet if you agree to likewise take a 3 month ban if he isn't ?
No. I didn't say you take a bet. I said you take a challenge.

Come on, are you brave or not?

You seem 100 percent sure that Salah won't leave this summer.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I don't think Salah will leave this summer, but like all Liverpool players that outgrow them and show true quality he'll sooner or later leave for a big club.

DreamIsh

Supports
Liverpool
You’re naive if you think we’ll play the same at Old Trafford as we did at Anfield.

We’re incredibly strong at home and will take the game to you, like you failed to do against us in the Anfield tie.
Apologies. Forgot it’s at Old Trafford.
In that case I feel a bit more confident.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's pretty much the template for al players. However what is our track record for wantaways (Suarez and Coutinho) ? Did they get what they wanted in just a couple of months ?
Suarez was wanted by Arsenal, a direct rival, and you did manage to convince him to stay in the end. Coutinho, you sold him in January. Only reason you didn't sell him in the summer is because of the timing, and offer not being good enough. If it was barcelona coming in for suarez in '13, he'd have gone right then and there. If they came with £140m for Coutinho in June instead of the joke offers they came up with at the end of August, you would have sold right then and there. You're not owned by sheiks, you're not going to keep a player against his will when it makes no sense to do it, just like every other club

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I don’t even think we have the midfield personell to address the problem. Sticking in someone as a makeshift DM won’t do anything. We need someone naturally suited to the role. No whether there’s something he can do tactically, like a formation change, I don’t know.

The United game will be interesting. I can seen Jose sitting back the entire game and our attack being unable to open up the defence
We will be far more attacking at OT, we're an entirely different proposition on home soil.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Now I've no idea how the game will turn out at OT, but Liverpool have done very little on the road to suggest they can be confident of anything at our place.

A ground where Liverpool have won twice in the last twelve or so seasons.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Suarez was wanted by Arsenal, a direct rival, and you did manage to convince him to stay in the end. Coutinho, you sold him in January. Only reason you didn't sell him in the summer is because of the timing, and offer not being good enough. If it was barcelona coming in for suarez in '13, he'd have gone right then and there. If they came with £140m for Coutinho in June instead of the joke offers they came up with at the end of August, you would have sold right then and there. You're not owned by sheiks, you're not going to keep a player against his will when it makes no sense to do it, just like every other club
Shhhhh don't talk sense. Liverpool would not want to sell Salah in the summer at any cost but if they don't finish 4th and Real come in with a 150m offer then can't see Klopp/owners being confident of motivating Salah enough to reject that kind of money. Easy to do that when there is only 40m+1dollar offer on table, not so much with 100m+. Of course I am assuming Salah himself would be super keen on such a move, if he is not then fair play.

I don't understand why Pool fans take it as a slight at their club when it is pointed out that they have been selling their best players for quite a while. It is not due to the historical standing of the club but almost entirely due to their lack of recent success. You will have odd cases out there but mostly top tier players will play at clubs competing for top honours - league title and CL. Same is true for United even, if we don't look like real title contenders in another season or two, then someone like Pogba would probably start looking for his next club.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin

I don't profess to know the finer details of every transfer Liverpool have been involved in, but I know they sell their best players on a regular basis. Everyone knows this. Stevie G is literally the only player of world class ability (arguably) that they managed to keep and that was down to the death threats he recieved. It is perfectly safe to assume that Salah will be leaving before long, Mane too.

It irks me that United are 6 points clear of Liverpool with them still to play at OT? Yeah, no, you would be incorrect in that assumption.

How could you possibly call Jose "inept" after his many achievements within the game across many different leagues? An utterly ludicrous statement that you cannot back up.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It is not due to the historical standing of the club but almost entirely due to their lack of recent success.
No, it is mostly down to money. You could say the two things are directly connected, mind

Bwuk

Can’t believe they haven’t sacked Flanagan yet and he’s starting for their u23s.

Bet Liverpool’s women’s sides players are chuffed he’s still around.

Thisistheone

Can’t believe they haven’t sacked Flanagan yet and he’s starting for their u23s.

Bet Liverpool’s women’s sides players are chuffed he’s still around.
Surprised more hasn't been made of this.

Stick

Supports
Liverpool
I think there's a big drop off in quality in any case. Ox and Lallana are far less effective in the front 3 than in midfield. I suppose Klopp may be looking at the likes of Solanke, Ings and Woodburn and thinking they can contribute, but not having a replacement lined up for Coutinho isn't great look for the club at all.

We definitely need a new goalkeeper but left back? Moreno and Robertson have both been in great form. Can't see us signing a right back any time soon either.
Robertson I like. Moreno is an accident waiting to happen. He's not naturally defensive and you can see it. He doesnt tuck in when needed and doesnt defend well. Robertson looks great when played but he's a bit green. I'd go for an experience left back if possible but I'd be happy with giving Robertson a good run in the side. With Clyne not hitting his form at Southampton I think he could really pick things up. Gomez needs to get the mistakes out of his game. Happy with VVD but he needs time to bed in and hopefully he and matip will form a good partnership. Goalie wise I would be happy if they signed Schmeichel from Leicester. I think he fits the Klopp style but not sure if he would get a good reception with his dad being a big utd man.

rm4eva

Supports
Real Madrid
The biggest problem with Liverpool is that there are no inspiring 'leaders' in the first 11.
When the going gets tough, you need to have someone out there yelling and motivating players.
Sadly, they don't have anyone with the stature of a Ramos, Chiellini, Muller, Kompany, etc. to look up to for direction on the field.
They should go back to the Rafa Benitez policy of trying to sign 'national team captains and vice captains'.
Maybe a smaller squad of 15-16 highly paid team captains and vice captains supported by 10-12 enthusiastic youth players.

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Don't rate Salah as high as some of you do. He's producing those numbers because hes spearheading an attack focussed team. You take him out of there and his performances will regress to the mean

kidbob

Don't rate Salah as high as some of you do. He's producing those numbers because hes spearheading an attack focussed team. You take him out of there and his performances will regress to the mean
The lad's top class and has hit a new level this season. Maybe, like ourselves with Jesse, there is a chance he will resort to a more 'normal' level but there's always a chance he'll keep this up. Be interesting to see how he does without Coutinho though. Problem for Pool is that if he carries on like this then someones going to come calling for him.

DreamIsh

Supports
Liverpool
Point is a fair result. I have no issues with the ref decisions. Couple points to note:

• Karius. MOTM for me. Best performance in a Liverpool shirt. Absolutely outstanding, really happy for the lad.
  • Van Dijk. Phenomenal, even commentary said it. Was really commanding. Only negative was the penalty
  • We didn’t deserve to win.

Onto Southampton.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Having watched Liverpool closely for a few games, IMO their biggest weakness is not their defence. It’s the midfield, who offer little going forward and can’t hold onto the ball.

Henderson, Milner, Wijnaldum, Can and Ox are all a bunch of runners. None of them can create anything. They are good against big teams where they have to press for 90 minutes, but against smaller teams where the onus is on Liverpool to play, they fail.

Lallana is the only creative player they have and he doesn’t even play (I don’t know why, injuries?).

Naby Keita is a step in the right direction, but they need more. Liverpool can probably get Ceballos if they really tried. He’s a rotting on the bench at Real anyway.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Everybody who's watched anything of them this season has come to the same conclusion regarding their midfield because it's self-evident. But they also can't defend in their own half, period. As a team, they make so many mistakes it's not even funny.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
There’s definitely problems with the midfield. It’s so easy to bypass regardless of who is playing. It’s so easy to get at our back four.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Everybody who's watched anything of them this season has come to the same conclusion regarding their midfield because it's self-evident. But they also can't defend in their own half, period. As a team, they make so many mistakes it's not even funny.
We defended fine today for the majority. You can't legislate for that Wanyama goal - 9/10 it balloons over. Apart from that, Spurs created very little.

I agree with Infordin that midfield is an issue.

Acole9

Outstanding
It's clear to see their main problem is the goalkeeper, Klopp doesn't trust either of them hence the interchanging. We did that with De Gea and Lindegaard when SAF was still here, it just doesn't work.

That Karius is shocking though, he's nowhere near good enough to be a Premier League goalkeeper.