Liverpool - 2017/18

Rafateria

7 goals/9 assists last season? Looks okay but not a replacement for Coutinho who got double that goal tally.
I don't think there's anyone that we could buy that would be a direct replacement. However it should be noted that Coutinho played most of his football last season as an LM/LW and that's not where Klopp is intending to play him this season (assuming he stays) as Salah is that replacement for last season's Coutinho (though having swapped wings with Mane obviously) and I can see him matching Coutinho's goal tally last season. I see Seri as more of a CM than AM and IF Coutinho were to depart then we may be more of a 4-3-3 than 4-2-1-3.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Seri would be a replacement for the failed pursuit of Keita I'm guessing.

We could have had him but instead we have Paulo Coutinho.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Based on last season (and last night) you won't be better than Madrid this season with or without Coutinho.
Paulo Coutinho was supposed to be a bad joke about how Paulo Dybala + Coutinho = Paulinho

Rafateria

Yesterday at the Hoffenheim presser :

The Liverpool manager reiterated that FSG will not sell Coutinho this summer even with the 25-year-old, who misses the play-off first leg with a back problem, agitating for a transfer. Klopp was reluctant to discuss the Brazil international but clarified his comments at Watford on Saturday, when he stated “his bosses” will decide the player’s future.

“It is not that I don’t want to speak, it is that I can’t change my answers,” he said. “If they [FSG] say they [Barcelona] can bid whatever but we don’t want it, then that is a clear message.

“We don’t want the money, we want to invest in the team and have the best team because we have our aims and dreams. That is the message.

“I have the player from 31 August latest, again, or when the back issue is sorted. There is nothing else I can say about it. I think I said, ‘I have bosses’, right? I have many bosses, including my wife.

“I can live with this, it’s no problem. They are 100% clear on it. There is nothing else to say.”

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Yesterday at the Hoffenheim presser :

The Liverpool manager reiterated that FSG will not sell Coutinho this summer even with the 25-year-old, who misses the play-off first leg with a back problem, agitating for a transfer. Klopp was reluctant to discuss the Brazil international but clarified his comments at Watford on Saturday, when he stated “his bosses” will decide the player’s future.

“It is not that I don’t want to speak, it is that I can’t change my answers,” he said. “If they [FSG] say they [Barcelona] can bid whatever but we don’t want it, then that is a clear message.

“We don’t want the money, we want to invest in the team and have the best team because we have our aims and dreams. That is the message.

“I have the player from 31 August latest, again, or when the back issue is sorted. There is nothing else I can say about it. I think I said, ‘I have bosses’, right? I have many bosses, including my wife.

“I can live with this, it’s no problem. They are 100% clear on it. There is nothing else to say.”
You have posted only half of what he said.

As doubts remain over Coutinho, Liverpool manager Klopp admitted his hands are tied.

"If, for example, there is an offer for a player and I say, 'No', and the owners say, 'Yes, let's ask for a number on how much they want to pay'. And I say, 'I don't want to hear it'. But they say, 'We want to hear it, £50million … £50 million is cool,'" Klopp said. "So then they sell the player — that is how a club works.

"That is how it was with Hans-Joachim Watzke [chief executive] at Dortmund. Do you think I said, 'Sell Nuri Sahin to Real Madrid as quick as possible?' It was not my decision. The player had a contract. They agreed. I am 100 per cent, really, 100 per cent [when I say] I don't ask for things I can't get and I respect the rules in the game.

"If they [FSG] say they [Barcelona] will bid whatever and we don't want it then it is a clear message. We don't want money, we want to invest in the team and have the best team because we have aims and dreams. That is the message.

"It's not important what I think. I have the player from August 31 latest, again, or when the back issue is sorted," Klopp added. "There is nothing else I can say about it. I think I said, 'I have bosses', right? I have many bosses, including my wife. I can live with this, it's no problem. They [the owners] are 100 per cent clear on it. There is nothing else to say."
It's not exactly clear what he is saying, looks like lot of it is based on "If owners say".

montpelier

That's fair enough, very diplomatic. No one going under any buses.

3 questions for us ITNK (in the not knowing)

1 - is he going? (we know he does want to go)

2 - how much does it affect the team? before / after 31st Aug

3 - will Fenway spin the process out so PC goes out but nobody comes in, so they can bank the money (I assume JK does wants a couple of arrival - whatever he says, for this one)

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I still have no idea from Klopp's comments whether it is him or FSG who are so adamant that he is not for sale. Sounds just as much like he is willing to let him go, but FSG have dug their heels in.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
@roonster09 i don't know what isn't clear. He says he's not the boss, it's not his decision whether coutinho stays or goes, and the bosses have said the player won't be sold

roonster09

Scout
@roonster09 i don't know what isn't clear. He says he's not the boss, it's not his decision whether coutinho stays or goes, and the bosses have said the player won't be sold
"If they [FSG] say they [Barcelona] will bid whatever and we don't want it then it is a clear message. We don't want money, we want to invest in the team and have the best team because we have aims and dreams. That is the message.
This is what I was talking about. He is saying "If the owners says this that" rather than "Owners also said he isn't for sale".

Also following next sentence, whether it's a continuity from previous sentence or he is saying that's the owner message is not clear.

Kurosawa

Supports
Liverpool
I think it's a question of money. If Barcelona are desperate enough to pay 120-50m. I think we'll accept.

I'm no longer sure if they are buying him as a Neymar replacement or Iniesta. If it's for Neymar wouldn't they be better served getting Dybala??
Seen as he would most likely cost Less and is better.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
My interpretation is that Kopp would rather let him go and use players that want to be at the club 100%.
I'm sure that once the window shuts and Coutinho is still at Anfield, he'll knuckle down and play well but all the speculation and chaos surrounding him at the moment is not helping anyone.

Rafateria

This is what I was talking about. He is saying "If the owners says this that" rather than "Owners also said he isn't for sale".

Also following next sentence, whether it's a continuity from previous sentence or he is saying that's the owner message is not clear.
A year ago he struggled with some aspects of his English, particular sentence structure, I wouldn't make too much out of the syntax of that single phrase but rather look at the overall message being delivered.

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
I think it's a question of money. If Barcelona are desperate enough to pay 120-50m. I think we'll accept.

I'm no longer sure if they are buying him as a Neymar replacement or Iniesta. If it's for Neymar wouldn't they be better served getting Dybala??
Seen as he would most likely cost Less and is better.
I'd bite their hand off at £120m +. He's good, but not that good and he's definitely not irreplaceable like a Suarez or Alonso. Points per game are barely any different with or without Coutinho in the team and he's never been consistent. Bang Firmino in Phils position and spend the money on a decent striker and defender and I think we'd be stronger in the long term.

The fact he's Brazilian is a worry too, history isn't kind to them as being quality for their career, almost every single big money Brazilian player in offensive positions in the past 20 years has a few stand out seasons then they just drop off the map either through bad injuries or they just seem to turn to trash randomly (Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Denilson, Pato, Kaka, Robinho, Hulk, Adriano etc)

Rafateria

I'd bite their hand off at £120m +. He's good, but not that good and he's definitely not irreplaceable like a Suarez or Alonso. Points per game are barely any different with or without Coutinho in the team and he's never been consistent. Bang Firmino in Phils position and spend the money on a decent striker and defender and I think we'd be stronger in the long term..........
I think you are right but the issue is it's happening after the season has started and we are involved in a critical CL qualifying tie with Hoffenheim. It couldn't have come at a worse time TBH. I don't think we should (and will be very suprised if we do) sell at this moment. Unless of course we get in 3 top targets before the end of the window which would actually give us a stronger side/squad (e.g. VVD, Seri and Keita) !

Hullyback

Supports
Liverpool FC
I think you are right but the issue is it's happening after the season has started and we are involved in a critical CL qualifying tie with Hoffenheim. It couldn't have come at a worse time TBH. I don't think we should (and will be very suprised if we do) sell at this moment. Unless of course we get in 3 top targets before the end of the window which would actually give us a stronger side/squad (e.g. VVD, Seri and Keita) !
Yeah his timing is diabolical and for that reason alone I've lost any respect I had for him. Could have kept it all hush hush and left after the qualifiers at the least, he won't be cup tied even if he plays.

I don't see a problem brushing Hoffenheim aside without him, they've lost their two best players this window and even with them I doubt they'd have enough over two legs. They may scrape a narrow win tonight but at Anfield I think they'll get destroyed in a fashion like we destroyed 2 German teams in pre-season (not the best example as pre-season matches are no great barometer but German teams generally don't cope well with pace nowadays)

I'm thinking we'll get a draw away and it's gonna be comfortable at home, 3-1 or higher.

roonster09

Scout
A year ago he struggled with some aspects of his English, particular sentence structure, I wouldn't make too much out of the syntax of that single phrase but rather look at the overall message being delivered.
I know, when you check overall message he used examples of Dortmund and how Sahin was sold. Also how even though coach don't want to hear numbers, Owners might be interested.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
If we can't beat Hoffenheim over two legs we really don't deserve to be in the Champions league. I think the squad will remember all the hard work they put in last season and not let it go to shit. I would rather qualify for it and come third in the group, worst case scenario.

BorisDeLeFora

A victory, 2 away goals, and a performance that once again painfully highlights the need for improvements in defence and midfield, highlighting those needs in a manner so dramatic that only those either not interested in improving the team or those essentially possessing a serious lack of judgement would miss.

Ideal for Liverpool really, provided they go out and bring a couple in.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
God, great away win for them, but feck me, they looked so fecking crap. Only the attack (well, just Manè, tbh) looked up for it. They looked a Championship team when they had to clear off the ball or defend a set piece.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Moreno is so fecking shit, the only excuses Klopp has for playing him is either

1) he wants to get fired
2) he wants to suck hard to get more money for transfers

It´s not even possible ot know how good or bad Lovren really is, cause he plays next to Moreno, which should be a case for Amnesty International.

Every great team is build on an axis Goalie - CD - CM - Striker. Not only do you need class, but also leadership in the CD and CM position. Firmino is top class. Mignolet you can get away with, cause he´s very good on the line, but Matip and Henderson as your leaders in CD and CM? Those are #2 type players. Liverpool need two A-listers. Keita would have been one. VVD would not have.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
God, great away win for them, but feck me, they looked so fecking crap. Only the attack (well, just Manè, tbh) looked up for it. They looked a Championship team when they had to clear off the ball or defend a set piece.
I'd say that Firmino in parts of the game looked good too. Apart from that, I agree that we didn't look comfortable at all and were probably a little lucky to get away with a win. It basically highlighted what everyone knows; that our midfield, and defence in particular, could do with an upgrade but our attack is solid.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I'd say that Firmino in parts of the game looked good too. Apart from that, I agree that we didn't look comfortable at all and were probably a little lucky to get away with a win. It basically highlighted what everyone knows; that our midfield, and defence in particular, could do with an upgrade but our attack is solid.
You could really do with a deep-lying playmaker. It would ease the pressure on your defence as well.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
A championship side that broke Hoffenheim's 15 month unbeaten run at home. I'll take that.

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
A championship side that broke Hoffenheim's 15 month unbeaten run at home. I'll take that.
Well they lost their players that made them get 4th and also brought on Nordveit who is quite frankly one of the shittiest top pros in the game.

TheReligion

Abusive
It really wasn't that bad.
Really? All bias aside is this what you expect from your European campaign?

The midfield was dominated and the defence a calamity against a pretty toothless Hoffenheim side playing their first ever European game.

I genuinely don't think it bodes well for you CL campaign. The squad needs alot of work in the next two weeks or you'll be in Europa in the new year.