Liverpool - 2017/18

Peanut Butter

Liverpool have a team full of weaknesses. So do we. That's my point.
Klopp has had enough time in the job now to address their terrible defence.

Mourinho has been in the job for a season and already won 2 trophies.

Would rather be in our shoes but obviously I'm going to say that being a Utd fan ;)

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Klopp's comments are extremely worrying. Does not look at all happy, the most sombre I've seen him and I've seen him after games we've lost to Watford away, Palace at home etc.

Utter travesty of a make or break summer for FSG they've failed on all fronts just as they have for their entire tenure here.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Klopp's comments are extremely worrying. Does not look at all happy, the most sombre I've seen him and I've seen him after games we've lost to Watford away, Palace at home etc.

Utter travesty of a make or break summer for FSG they've failed on all fronts just as they have for their entire tenure here.
What did he say?

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I suppose a draw in a away game in the season opener isn't a catastrophe, but we looked horrendous for parts of the game and it really highlighted what most fans have known all summer: That our attack is exellent, but our defense is abysmal. We never looked in control either. Why on earth FSG/Klopp didn't strengthen it is beyond me.
City spent 100m on three FBs ffs.

Reactions: Akshay

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover

Can you really blame FSG though? The bids you submitted for both VVD and Keita suggest that the money is there, it is rather Klopp's lack of alternative targets that are letting you down.

Just off the top of my head CB's that would improve you would be Jonathan Tah, Khalid Koulibaly, Kostas Manolas, De Vrij. For DM you could have gotten N'Zonzi (40m euros rls clause) or Oreol Romeu.

Seems like Klopp put all his eggs in one basket, getting one of these players I've mentioned this late in the season will either be impossible or amazingly costly.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I don't get the lack of focus on defence from Klopp. A strong defensive misfield and centre back or even a defensively strong strong left back would improving the side. I mean, fair play, their attack is fantastic. Even without playing all that well theyve got great goal threat and even moreso now with Salah. A few key defensive signings and they'd challenge.

Thank feck that hasn't happened yet.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Was his Achilles heel at Dortmund also.
Stops him from being a great manager imo.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Most of the sides who have won the premier league have had a solid keeper and defence.

Schmeichel, Seaman, Cech, Courteous, Van Der Sar, De Gea... Then you have Mignolet...

Rafateria

Completely fine having TAA & Lovren as backups, but when your back four the the opening day of the season has both of them AND Moreno, it's time to open the transfer kitty.
TAA was our best player so I don't know why you even mention him ?!

montpelier

I'd have taken the Coutinho money when it was first mooted & got on with signing the replacements during the quiet of summer.

VVD - who apparently wants to join LFC, well done on lashing that one up

a GK, ffs

and a DM & a LB (done?)

and I suppose 2 for the MF, a CM & a MF/AM

Coutinho, Migs, Moreno out, 5 in (6 including Salah who is the pacy forward I suppose) - Looks OK money-wise doesn't it (allegedly).

Problem after that is central striker. Potentially grim if Firmino gets injured though some like Origi & then there might be the Studge option...

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
100th game in charge yet the defence is no better from when he joined us. If there has been no change in a year and a half we need to have a look at the way things are being done. Klopp has two members of his backroom staff he calls the 'the brain' and the 'eyes', so surely at least one fecking person can address the issue, no? Without an improvement on that defence we will get roasted in Europe *if we qualify.

SwansonsTache

100th game in charge yet the defence is no better from when he joined us. If there has been no change in a year and a half we need to have a look at the way things are being done. Klopp has two members of his backroom staff he calls the 'the brain' and the 'eyes', so surely at least one fecking person can address the issue, no? Without an improvement on that defence we will get roasted in Europe *if we qualify.
Like i mentioned in my post above there was a whole bunch of available cb's that would have improved you, likewise dm's.

The bids you put in for VVD and Keita shows that the money is there, so it is wrong to only blame FSG but let Klopp escape scot free.

Also zonal marking ffs.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
Like i mentioned in my post above there was a whole bunch of available cb's that would have improved you, likewise dm's.

The bids you put in for VVD and Keita shows that the money is there, so it is wrong to only blame FSG but let Klopp escape scot free.

Also zonal marking ffs.
Maybe in a way that game can be a blessing and the club/Klopp try and fix this mess in the transfer market. Look I don't buy this nonsense that only one specific player can do the job. Klopp needs to realise the defence he has isn't going to cut it at the top level so if he can't get his first choice he has to settle for the next best thing. If we had a quality defender signed up and ready for today we wouldn't have already dropped two points. It's all good and well bidding big for players but considering the cost of the outlay for both targets surely there would have been a contingency plan? If the money is really there I'm just saying it should be spent. Can you imagine this defence playing R.Madrid and trying to defend those Kroos corners with the likes of Ramos in the box.

SwansonsTache

Maybe in a way that game can be a blessing and the club/Klopp try and fix this mess in the transfer market. Look I don't buy this nonsense that only one specific player can do the job. Klopp needs to realise the defence he has isn't going to cut it at the top level so if he can't get his first choice he has to settle for the next best thing. If we had a quality defender signed up and ready for today we wouldn't have already dropped two points. It's all good and well bidding big for players but considering the cost of the outlay for both targets surely there would have been a contingency plan? If the money is really there I'm just saying it should be spent. Can you imagine this defence playing R.Madrid and trying to defend those Kroos corners with the likes of Ramos in the box.
You have left it too late, none of the players I mentioned will be available this late unless you pay an extortionate amount of money.

The moment Leipzig snubbed you and you got caught tapping up VVD you should have moved on and secured other targets.

The fact that you bid a reported combined sum of something like £120m for VVD and Keita shows that the money is available, it is Klopp who has failed to identify alternative targets to his first choices. Fans will lambast FSG for not delivering, but if you summarize the facts then you'll see that they have made £120m + the money already paid for that left back and Salah available, that is quite a hefty sum combined. Fans won't touch Klopp though but will still misdirect their anger in the direction of FSG.

montpelier

Not many great defensive headers in the team though - semi related to the style of play. Add in a GK who is more renowned as a shot stopper. Watford send their lads in & are winning a lot of first balls.

And scoring from their rubbish deliveries as a bonus. (sorry)

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
TAA was our best player so I don't know why you even mention him ?!
Just too underwhelmed with our back four as a whole, it's hard to look for positives... I don't disagree, but I just want better.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Can you imagine this defence playing R.Madrid and trying to defend those Kroos corners with the likes of Ramos in the box.
Can you imagine this defence playing R.Madrid and trying to defend those Kroos corners with the likes of Ramos in the box.
And now I have a massive hard on :drool::drool::drool:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I just want the defence sorted. This is the sixth season in a row where we've gone into it a complete mess at the back. I don't think it's entirely about the quality of players either. Give Mourinho our players and I think he could set them up to be solid enough.

Both Rodgers and Klopp built their sides to be so focused on the attacking side but the inability to organise a defence has and will continue to cost us. It's great to watch Klopp's Liverpool most of the time but if he wants to be successful here then he needs to learn how to make us hard to break down. We'll continue to win absolutely nothing as long as we need three or four goals to win games.

automaticflare

He is not as good as suar
I just want the defence sorted. This is the sixth season in a row where we've gone into it a complete mess at the back. I don't think it's entirely about the quality of players either. Give Mourinho our players and I think he could set them up to be solid enough.

Both Rodgers and Klopp built their sides to be so focused on the attacking side but the inability to organise a defence has and will continue to cost us. It's great to watch Klopp's Liverpool most of the time but if he wants to be successful here then he needs to learn how to make us hard to break down. We'll continue to win absolutely nothing as long as we need three or four goals to win games.
It's not solely the defence.
Those 4 defenders would look 10 times better if they weren't playing such a stupid fecking system and got someone in like even joe fecking hart in nets. There is zero protection from midfield and not a single brain cell between Henderson can and wijnaldum.

I am telling you right now forget fecking Virgil and keita for a minute and forget owners. If they play the same way they will not make a difference.

Two players like joe hart and matic would make your side 10 times better.

This falls on Klopp he has no plan B and is a limited manager. This style of play just does not work. You can talk about attacking football and defensive football whatever the football that Klopp is playing is not winning football which is most important thing but Liverpool fans thinks he is a genius so far Will try and push the blame on owners, Moreno whatever.

The front 3 were still pressing in watford defensive third in last 2 minutes and not just one man the entire front 3. It's fecking nuts.

Liverpool won't win anything of significant with Klopp in charge

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I just want the defence sorted. This is the sixth season in a row where we've gone into it a complete mess at the back. I don't think it's entirely about the quality of players either. Give Mourinho our players and I think he could set them up to be solid enough
That's the other side of the coin. With Mourinho, you'd have one of the best defences in the league, and the worst attack of the top 6 by far. A big part of your defensive problems are due to your brilliant attack, because you don't have enough quality for your attack to be brilliant without sacrifing the defence.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
This is all part of a master plan. Liverpool will continue to be shite to lower their stock value. They will then be bought out by a Chinese billionaire and then take over the world.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
I wonder how set Goretzka is on Bayern. He recently said nothing is decided yet. He´s in the last year of his contract. I´m sure Schalke would accept a bid of €60-65M. More an issue of the players willingness.

Lemar and Goretzka would be a good trade-off for Coutinho. Add Keita next summer.

But above all Liverpool need a #1 CB, somebody with a strong vita that can organize the backline and challenge Klopp´s stubborn set-ups. I don´t think a VVD or Christensen will make a difference.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
This is all part of a master plan. Liverpool will continue to be shite to lower their stock value. They will then be bought out by a Chinese billionaire and then take over the world.
Except a Chinese billionaire wont give a shite about the stock price

TheReligion

Abusive
Sky saying that Coutinho has the sympathy and support of the dressing room.

This is going to be a nightmare for Liverpool. They need to get him sold pronto.

AlwaysRed66

One of the problems is the lack of support for the defence from the attacking players, & they are not great at set pieces. Compare Giroud at Arsenal, who gets a lot of flack for a weird reason at Arsenal, but when he came on not only got the winner, but was good support in the defence when needed. Compare that to Liverpool's front players.

Last edited:

Z_Wolf

Their fans are talking as if they are already in the CL and making comments on how they'll fare in it. Imagine if Hoffenheim do them?

Kurosawa

Supports
Liverpool
Sky saying that Coutinho has the sympathy and support of the dressing room.

This is going to be a nightmare for Liverpool. They need to get him sold pronto.
Logically speaking if he has the sympathy of the dressing room doesn't it mean that it will be easier to integrate him into the team having denied him his dream move?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Logically speaking if he has the sympathy of the dressing room doesn't it mean that it will be easier to integrate him into the team having denied him his dream move?
Other side of that coin is that other players may also be looking at the exit

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
On a more positive note how fecking instinctive is Salah? Apart from the goal he was in positions where he could have scored four more. He's like a pacier, more involved version of Mata. But it wasn't his pace that was causing the problems, it was his anticipation and simple movement.

DonnieDarko

Supports
Liverpool
I don't think he has sympathy, sly is being sly here. Read Firmino's comments on the situation.
The timing of his transfer request is bad, but other than that - no other confirmed damaging movements from his side. I think it's still possible to reintegrate him, unless we don't know something.

Kurosawa

Supports
Liverpool
On a more positive note how fecking instinctive is Salah? Apart from the goal he was in positions where he could have scored four more. He's like a pacier, more involved version of Mata. But it wasn't his pace that was causing the problems, it was his anticipation and simple movement.
Really? Thought he was wasteful and made a lot of bad decisions I.e not setting up Firmino 2/3 times he was in a better position.

His movement is good though.

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
I'm assuming the rumour has no legs but we've been linked with Insigne from Napoli. I like him, he scores goals and gets assists but simple fact is he's not as good as Coutinho. Napoli are hard negotiatiors as well iirc.