Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I have a bit of a man crush on Alisson. Hard to pick anyone over him for me.

Been having a better than De Gea at any rate, his saves against tottenham notwithstanding.
De Gea then. Him being better the superior goalkeeper and all. Mancrushes don't count.

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

If Liverpool win the league over a 38 games season, pure luck will have noting to do with it.

Is it lucky that Salah didn’t score against City, but for a millimetre?

UTD were ‘lucky’ all of the time, until people started to wake up and realise it wasn’t luck, it was pressure, and eventually the pressure caused teams to crumble, tire and concede.

Liverpool are doing the same, except some see it differently, through their club biased glasses.

You don’t win over 20 games this stage of the season, and have the best defence in the league through just luck.

Every team, in every era has a bit of luck, just look at 1999.
Exactly, pressure breaks pipes. I always felt under Sir Alex that's what we were really good at.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'm not sure who will have had the bigger achievement from winning Premier League, Leicester or Liverpool? Both never did it before but Leicester did it in much shorter time and with half the budget Liverpool has. Liverpool has suffered and built for it while Leicester just went and did what they couldn't do. Makes you wonder if this will really be the year Liverpool wins it. It will probably put some shadow on Leicester but not by much I don't think

DBT85

I'm not sure who will have had the bigger achievement from winning Premier League, Leicester or Liverpool? Both never did it before but Leicester did it in much shorter time and with half the budget Liverpool has. Liverpool has suffered and built for it while Leicester just went and did what they couldn't do. Makes you wonder if this will really be the year Liverpool wins it. It will probably put some shadow on Leicester but not by much I don't think
Leicester went from nothing and won it becase they had a play style that nobody apparently could stop, despite it being blindingly obvious what they were going to do week in week out. The rest of the league was also frankly shocking that year.

Liverpool have never won the PL, but football wasn't invented in 1992.

Liverpool winning it will do nothing to shadow Leicester. It would take Southampton or something to do that.

The Will Gordon Show

Supports
Undisclosed
I'm not sure who will have had the bigger achievement from winning Premier League, Leicester or Liverpool? ...
Think City will still win it comfortably once Liverpool drop points at tough grounds like Old Trafford and Goodison Park - superior squad depth will prove to be telling, but if Liverpool do by some miracle win the league, then it could be compared to one of the great Premier League title wins, all due to the fact that they're up against a financially doped monster that are Manchester City.

Still, it wouldn't be considered a bigger achievement than Leicester's win because Leicester had just survived relegation, didn't invest heavily in a squad composed of misfits, journeymen and punts, added to the fact that they're not one of the established big clubs (Liverpool, Manchester City, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United).

Fridge chutney

Do your best.
You can beat around every bush you like. De Gea is the best keeper.
I mean, let alone the fact that DDG's distribution is fine. We only started passing it from the back over the past 7 games with Ole. Plus DDG's distribution led to an assist for one of Rashford's goals against Liverpool last year I seem to recall. The comparisons with Allison are genuinely amusing.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I'd rather have news of "Liverpool spend 100m to finally replace countinho (and origi and Sturridge)" than that we record 100m profits.

crossy1686

career ending
Looks like we're set to become the first club to record £100m net profit in a season.
The figures obviously take into account our sale of Coutinho but we spent a lot as well. Good to see that we're being so well run off the pitch and it gives me hope that this title challenge won't be limited to one season.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mi...iverpool-set-become-worlds-first-13889277.amp
Is that not just fecking stupid? The tax man is going to love it though.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Is that not just fecking stupid? The tax man is going to love it though.
Stupid in what sense? You're going to be taxed a certain % on your income whether you spend it or not.

crossy1686

career ending
Stupid in what sense? You're going to be taxed a certain % on your income whether you spend it or not.
No, that's not how running a business works. You're taxed on your net profit, not your revenue. If your revenue equals your expenditure you pay no tax, if you register £100m net profit you're looking at at least about 19% corporation tax on it, maybe more, not sure what it is for figures that big.

My point is, that £20m would be better spent on a player or wages, or even stadium refurbishment wouldn't it? Or you could just pay use it to pay dole in Liverpool, your choice really.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
No, that's not how running a business works. You're taxed on your net profit, not your revenue. If your revenue equals your expenditure you pay no tax, if you register £100m net profit you're looking at at least about 19% corporation tax on it, maybe more, not sure what it is for figures that big.

My point is, that £20m would be better spent on a player or wages, or even stadium refurbishment wouldn't it? Or you could just pay use it to pay dole in Liverpool, your choice really.
Hey now, that £20m isn't going to cover much if you use it for the latter.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
if you register £100m net profit you're looking at at least about 19% corporation tax on it, maybe more, not sure what it is for figures that big.
No, that's not how running a business works.

Mastadon

Supports
Arsenal
I doubt anyone will match Leicester’s feat of winning the league but it’s obviously a one off. Leicester have been closer to relegation than winning the league again since that season. 1 title 1 round in the CL and that’s the end of it.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Care to explain more or are you just here to disagree?
A business could record a $100m profit and not pay a single dollar to taxes depending on the country it's located in and the availability of deferred tax assets. Not saying it's something that applies to Liverpool and I won't pretend to know anything about our financial statements cos I don't, but for all we know they're sitting on $80m of tax losses carried forward and some other tax deductions and they would pay taxes on $20m instead of $100m.

DonnieDarko

Supports
Liverpool
Leicester's win was great and is definitely a bigger achievement than any of top 6 winning the league this year. I guess everybody cheered for Leicester that year.

We have too many injuries lately, hopefully we'll have our first choice defence available for the next game. Midfield is a concern as well if both Fabinho and Wijnaldum will not recover.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Uh it's not even remotely a debate. With half the budget? Change that to a fraction. This Liverpool side has spent record breaking fees on a CB and a goalkeeper, it's one of the most expensively assembled teams in the whole league, led by one of the most high profile managers. They should be challenging for the league with the money they have spent on transfers and wages.

Leicester assembled a squad on a shoestring and it was only their second season in the league itself, it's an extraordinary achievement which I doubt will be matched in my lifetime. You had plucky once non league footballer Jamie Vardy breaking records, Mahrez taking the piss every week having cost 400k and the likes of Wes Morgan being one of the most solid defenders in the whole league. Not to mention the crowning glory of Kante (costing a whopping 5 mill, might buy you VVD's left ear) bossing the midfield.

Liverpool winning the league wouldn't have the slightest impact on Leicester's win. They're the 2nd biggest club in the country and recently have been transfer mad.

montpelier

Yeah, we should play out through Jones & Smalling a lot more than we do.

A new GK who doesn't stop half as much ought to be a priority, really.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Uh it's not even remotely a debate. With half the budget? Change that to a fraction. This Liverpool side has spent record breaking fees on a CB and a goalkeeper, it's one of the most expensively assembled teams in the whole league, led by one of the most high profile managers. They should be challenging for the league with the money they have spent on transfers and wages.

Leicester assembled a squad on a shoestring and it was only their second season in the league itself, it's an extraordinary achievement which I doubt will be matched in my lifetime. You had plucky once non league footballer Jamie Vardy breaking records, Mahrez taking the piss every week having cost 400k and the likes of Wes Morgan being one of the most solid defenders in the whole league. Not to mention the crowning glory of Kante (costing a whopping 5 mill, might buy you VVD's left ear) bossing the midfield.

Liverpool winning the league wouldn't have the slightest impact on Leicester's win. They're the 2nd biggest club in the country and recently have been transfer mad.
I think you are probably right. In the grand scheme of things Liverpool winning doesn't matter compared to Leicester. The question to ask to solve this is who will be the first to win it the second time.
Or even if another bottom team can win it once more before they win it twice?

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Leicester went from nothing and won it becase they had a play style that nobody apparently could stop, despite it being blindingly obvious what they were going to do week in week out. The rest of the league was also frankly shocking that year.
That is just an excuse used to downplay Leicester, why do you say that? The league actually became harder that year because the bottom teams raised their level and became mid table teams. It is the same this year, a lot of top teams are dropping points against lower teams, and actually that might be why Liverpool is now leading by a clear margin. Because the league is "shocking".

Liverpool have never won the PL, but football wasn't invented in 1992.
Oh I thought it was invented by an ostrich scientist in the 50's. Premier League is the leading league in the world, created 26 years ago, if you haven't won your local league in nearly 30 years but Leicester has, who really had the bigger achievement? How are they not shadowing Liverpool winning then?

Liverpool winning it will do nothing to shadow Leicester. It would take Southampton or something to do that.
Southampton winning the league would only serve to shadow Liverpool as they have bought all their players. It would raise the question if spending money was the right way for Liverpool to aim at the top if anything.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
If we win it, there is no way that achievement would be comparable to Leicester. What Ranieri did with them was outrageous.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Leicester's league win won't be bettered for a long time. It'd take something like a team coming straight up from the Championship and winning the Premier League.

Leeds next year maybe. :p

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Ridiculous debate anyways, not a single title win will top what Leicester did. Not unless it’s repeated in a similar vein. Question after this season will be who’s coming to the forefront, if we do win how will we invest and react next season. You imagine city aren’t going anywhere and it’ll be intriguing to see what happens at United and Chelsea. If emery and Poch get any money to spend etc.

All questions for may mostly though.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Ridiculous debate anyways, not a single title win will top what Leicester did. Not unless it’s repeated in a similar vein. Question after this season will be who’s coming to the forefront, if we do win how will we invest and react next season. You imagine city aren’t going anywhere and it’ll be intriguing to see what happens at United and Chelsea. If emery and Poch get any money to spend etc.

All questions for may mostly though.
Let her focus on her brexit, ffs.

dino76m

Supports
liverpool
Taking everything into consideration, transfers, revenue, salary, Liverpool are still behind City, United and Chelsea.They have the fourth best squad in the PL and that is why most Liverpool fans are happy with what Klopp has done so far.

Everyone seems to downplay Klopp's rebuilding and talk about how much he has spend, but the fact is he first sold players and then got the players he wanted.I don't think we would have paid that much for Allison and Van Djik if Coutinho wasn't sold or we didn't already have Gomez, Trent and Andy ,all of whom cost just about less than 15 million in total(taking into account Klopp didn't buy Clyne ,Lovren or Moreno.

Last edited by a moderator:

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Taking everything into consideration, transfers, revenue, salary, Liverpool are still behind City, United and Chelsea.They have the fourth best squad in the PL and that is why most Liverpool fans are happy with what Klopp has done so far.

Everyone seems to downplay Klopp's rebuilding and talk about how much he has spend, but the fact is he first sold players and then got the players he wanted.I don't think we would have paid that much for Allison and Van Djik if Coutinho wasn't sold or we didn't already have Gomez, Trent and Andy ,all of whom cost just about less than 15 million in total(taking into account Klopp didn't buy Clyne ,Lovren or Moreno.
This graphic from page 112 of this UEFA report highlight's your point about transfers:

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Klopp has done a fantastic job. He's a world class manager, I don't think many really disagree with this do they? Maybe some hardcore United fans, but in the main it's pretty much accepted that in terms of building and motivating a squad there's nobody better in the world. Maybe some question marks over his abilities on the biggest occasions but overall he's clearly just very good. Built a fantastic team at Dortmund and has built a fantastic team at Liverpool. Regardless of money it's easy to waste it whereas he's mostly spent very wisely.

It's just that when you get portrayed as a big underdog, or compared to Leicester (:wenger:) then yeah, it's ludicrous. You may be the 4th biggest spenders but you're not all that far off the others, and much of your spending is fresh and recent which makes a big difference. This is still one of the most expensively assembled squads in all of European football (the seventh, I believe?) and should be expected to compete at the top of the Premier League. I don't think many would deny that United and Chelsea aren't doing as well as they should considering how much they've spent.

Klopp is great, he's just not a magician. He's doing a very good job but he's had backing that other managers in the league would kill for, as far as I can see he got pretty much all his major targets (bar fekir, who was close to joining) in the summer? Not many managers get that kind of support from the club. Even the richest sides like City were hesitant to spend the money it took to get VVD for example. Fair play to your board in that respect, they clearly have great faith in his ability.

ericking

Leicester won the league with 81 points.

Potentially four teams get more than this season.

Hazza83

Supports
Liverpool

To be fair, everyone has been, relative to Spurs

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool

Our squad isn't behind United or Chelsea (nor is it far ahead, either). A combined Liverpool/Chelsea XI would likely feature 3-4 Chelsea players at most (Kante & Hazard obviously stroll in), and a combined Liverpool/United XI would mostly be us in defence & attack, them in midfield & net.

Our first choice XI is comparable to City, but for me, a bit behind. Plus their squad depth is so many tiers ahead of the rest of the league that it's not even comparable. Given the unrest at United this season, the fact Chelsea/Arsenal both have new managers, and Spurs didn't spend, Liverpool finishing below 2nd/3rd would be a failure, and it's hard to say that 1st would be overachieving too much.

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
That's for financial year 2017, what's that supposed to highlight here?
Cost of our squad compared to others in Europe. I think it’s the latest one available from UEFA. We may have moved up a few places when the next one is released due to Alisson and VVD but will likely still be quite far off the biggest squad costs. It follows on from the point @dino76m was making earlier basically about bang for buck.

Our transfer business has improved massively over the last few seasons. The next step is holding onto high value players. Despite Utd not being hugely successful over the last few seasons, compared to Madrid, Barca etc you have still kept hold of De Gea. We need to get to that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.