Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Treble

Haven't you faced Chelsea twice, City, Arsenal and Napoli amongst those 9 fixtures? The only match where you haven't performed up to expectation is the loss yesterday against Red Star. Besides that drawing to City (home), Chelsea and Arsenal away aren't poor results.
That's not true at all. They didn't have a shot on target against Napoli and created feck all against City. Definitely expectations were different, the best front three in the world, etc. They have scored as many league goals as Bournemouth: definitely not what was expected.

Josh 76

Again the media and pundits saying nothing about klopp.
It's like they are all shocked Liverpool lost and played crap and trying to figure out why this happened. Maybe your ass licking manager is not all that and the players are not buying into his "heavy metal" football anymore.

Rossa

Other than De Gea none of the current crop are top tier in the PL. they all make mistakes here and there.

Alisson is worlds apart from Mignolet and Karius though.
You are far too sensible, mate. Are you sure you support Liverpool? There is good in you, join the light side of football!

What has become exceptional about DDG is how few mistakes he makes. I still think he needs to prove more in terms of commanding the box before I put him ahead of Schmeichel, but Schmeichel made more mistakes, as do all goalies. Neuer also has mistakes in him. On the other hand, one might argue that DDG plays it a little safe.

Allison's distribution is very good though, but not as good as Eder?

Trizy

They weren't take great last season either. They just upped their game against City and in the CL. Other than that they weren't anything special. Salah having a freak season saved them so many times.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
That's not true at all. They didn't have a shot on target against Napoli and created feck all against City. Definitely expectations were different, the best front three in the world, etc. They have scored as many league goals as Bournemouth: definitely not what was expected.
That's because Bournemouth exceeds expectations at the moment, not the other way around (and we scored more goals by the way, not as many). Amazing how you keep singling out that outlier to have a got at us :lol: If we're going down that route - we have conceded 3 goals less than Chelsea and THIRTHEEN goals less than United in the league - definitely not what was expected either.

Treble

That's because Bournemouth exceeds expectations at the moment, not the other way around (and we scored more goals by the way, not as many). Amazing how you keep singling out that outlier to have a got at us :lol: If we're going down that route - we have conceded 3 goals less than Chelsea and THIRTHEEN goals less than United in the league - definitely not what was expected either.
There's no denying you have problems in attack. It's the 4th best in the league now, not what you expected before the start of the season, surely?

deafepl

You are far too sensible, mate. Are you sure you support Liverpool? There is good in you, join the light side of football!

What has become exceptional about DDG is how few mistakes he makes. I still think he needs to prove more in terms of commanding the box before I put him ahead of Schmeichel, but Schmeichel made more mistakes, as do all goalies. Neuer also has mistakes in him. On the other hand, one might argue that DDG plays it a little safe.

Allison's distribution is very good though, but not as good as Eder?
De Gea's distribution is also good under SAF and LVG, his distribution at Spain is completely different from United now, one of the reasons why he was picked over Kepa apparently have impressive distribution.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
There's no denying you have problems in attack. It's the 4th best in the league now, not what you expected before the start of the season, surely?
Maybe not, I guess. Not that I give a toss about goals scored - the only important stat is the points tally and it's our best ever after 11 games in the Premier League.

Kapardin

Maybe not, I guess. Not that I give a toss about goals scored - the only important stat is the points tally and it's our best ever after 11 games in the Premier League.
You should care about your playing style too. We racked up a lot of 4-0s early on last season, but it didn't sustain due to the fact that we didn't play particularly well even in those games. If you are collecting points despite not playing well, there is every chance of a major collapse down the line -- think all United fans can vouch for that having seen us under LvG and Jose.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I care about goals scored. This is a klopp team. It's a problem if that dries up and not sustainable.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I could have sworn that this wasn't true in May when we had 81 points to your 75 but you'd scored 84 goals to our 68.

Edit: As for the "best ever" stat, technically true, but not the earth-shattering achievement you're making it out to be.

2016/17 you had precisely one point less at this stage, and were actually top rather than third. Still finished fourth though.

One point less at this stage in 2008/09 too, level with top, ended up closer to third than first.

Actually had the same number of points at this stage in 2002/03, were four points clear at the top of the table, and somehow conspired to finish fifth.

Last edited:

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I could have sworn that this wasn't true in May when we had 81 points to your 75 but you'd scored 84 goals to our 68.
It was still true in May. Maybe I just like to focus on the positive things ;)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Would love to see them knocked out at the group stage. Come on Mbappe and Neymar!

VJ1762

Would love to see them knocked out at the group stage. Come on Mbappe and Neymar!
But if they get knocked out, they will have only the league in their schedule ( assuming they don't take the europa seriously) and if the unthinkable happens and they win the fecking league, I don't think I can stand all the smug scousers in the media and the ones here.

Hope this is yet another year of a successful boom-bust cycle for 'pool.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Technically it doesn't matter what the result is in Paris. If we manage to beat Napoli by 2 goals at Anfield, we'll qualify for the last 16.
PSG and Napoli carving out a draw was the best result we could have hoped for last night and it still leaves qualification in our own hands.
That said, we need to improve drastically if we are to win that game. We're looking toothless up front and our midfield isn't clicking either. Ironically it's our defence that's proving to be our saviour this season. How many would have predicted that this time last year?

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Been mostly excellent this season. Stepped up his game a lot.

Continues to be toothless away from home though.
Luis Garcia was the same. He looked like an absolute world class player at Anfield. Away from home, he was nowhere near as effective. Weird how it affects some players

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Technically it doesn't matter what the result is in Paris. If we manage to beat Napoli by 2 goals at Anfield, we'll qualify for the last 16.
PSG and Napoli carving out a draw was the best result we could have hoped for last night and it still leaves qualification in our own hands.
That said, we need to improve drastically if we are to win that game. We're looking toothless up front and our midfield isn't clicking either. Ironically it's our defence that's proving to be our saviour this season. How many would have predicted that this time last year?
You've shipped five goals in four games in the CL, and kept just one clean sheet, which was the home game against Red Star. Also, every team you've beaten by two or more goals this season currently lies in the bottom half of the Premier League, or is Red Star.

It might be in your hands, but losing last night is a major blow and leaves you with a lot to do.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
It might be in your hands, but losing last night is a major blow and leaves you with a lot to do.
Win our next game: we're through
Draw our next game: win the next game and we're through
Lose our next game: win the next game by 2 goals and we're through

I'd say we still have a 60%-70% chance to progress.

Rossa

De Gea's distribution is also good under SAF and LVG, his distribution at Spain is completely different from United now, one of the reasons why he was picked over Kepa apparently have impressive distribution.
DDG doesn't have great distribution. It's one of his weaknesses. Compared to VDS, DDG was a clear step down - anything else is revisionism. Even De God has weaknesses.

Rossa

If only football was that easy. Playing Huddersfield at home and PSG away is not 50% either way, is it?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

Next round of fixtures I think you either have to avoid defeat at PSG or hope Napoli slip up against Red Star.

I think if you lose to PSG and Napoli beat Red Star, you're as good as out.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
If only football was that easy. Playing Huddersfield at home and PSG away is not 50% either way, is it?
Were did I say it is?

The theory remains the same, win our last game convincingly and we're always through. That's not that much to do.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
You've shipped five goals in four games in the CL, and kept just one clean sheet, which was the home game against Red Star. Also, every team you've beaten by two or more goals this season currently lies in the bottom half of the Premier League, or is Red Star.

Throw in the Roma defeat in the semi-final 2nd leg last season & the picture looks a lot worse. 3 consecutive - deserved - away losses in the CL. There was a time that even with an average side we could go away to most sides in Europe & get a result. Klopp's got some serious work to do to stop this from falling apart. Maybe it's an attitude thing with the players after such a good start in the PL, I don't know. But even if we do manage to scrape through to the knock-out stages, our performances need to step up quite a few levels. Don't usually look forward to the international breaks, but this one could be a welcome distraction for both, players, & manager.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Next round of fixtures I think you either have to avoid defeat at PSG or hope Napoli slip up against Red Star.

I think if you lose to PSG and Napoli beat Red Star, you're as good as out.
If Napoli beats Red Star, a draw at PSG wouldn't change anything apart from the fact that we can win with one goal difference at home instead of two.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
If Napoli beats Red Star, a draw at PSG wouldn't change anything apart from the fact that we can win with one goal difference at home instead of two.
That's a big difference though.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Don't see you beating Napoli by two goals.

Jacko21

I expect nothing other than Liverpool needing a win against Napoli on a 'famous Anfield night' where the 'kop suck the ball in'.

Rossa

Were did I say it is?

The theory remains the same, win our last game convincingly and we're always through. That's not that much to do.
That depends on who you face. If you only need 2 points in three matches to finish fourth, but that is away against Chelsea, City and United, it might be difficult still. My point is that you have some tough opposition, and you need to be firing on all cylinders. I still believe you can make it, but currently, I think PSG and Napoli look stronger.

Robbie Boy

World class at home, Championship player away from home.
Been mostly excellent this season. Stepped up his game a lot.

Continues to be toothless away from home though.
Bit weird for a player of his experience. Tbh, I've only caught maybe 3 or 4 full Liverpool games this season and they've all been away from home where he's looked absolutely terrible. I still think he's a player that can be easily upgraded; never rated him even at Newcastle where he done relatively ok.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
That's a big difference though. As I said, every team you've beaten by more than one goal this season currently sit 13th or below in the league, or are Red Star. There's also the mental difference of going into your final game off the back of a draw in Paris, knowing any win at home sends you through, and going into your final game off the back of a defeat in Paris, knowing that even if you're winning 2-0 in the 90th minute, a stoppage time goal for Napoli still sends you out.

We have to beat Napoli by more than one goal & we're through regardless of what happens in all the other games.
Firstly, on current form, you aren't beating Napoli by more than one goal. Secondly, there's a huge difference going into your final game after a decent away draw, needing any win, and going into your final game knowing that you have to win by a certain number of goals.

In your last eight CL games you've conceded 13 goals and kept just one clean sheet, and that was at home to Red Star. This "win by more than one goal and we're through" thing is not as remotely straightforward as you're making it sound, and I think drawing at PSG or Napoli slipping up against Red Star is the difference maker you'll need.

CognitiveNeuro

Anyone realized that, other than Allison, Klopp is basically playing the same first 11 as last season most times, even after spending £168,250,000?

Maybe it's early in the season and the new signings need time but found that interesting.

Bergman

Supports
Liverpool
Anyone realized that, other than Allison, Klopp is basically playing the same first 11 as last season most times, even after spending £168,250,000?

Maybe it's early in the season and the new signings need time but found that interesting.
Gomez is starting CB this season.
Keita's been injured for about a month now.
But I guess your point is mainly about the midfields he's been putting out, and given half our matches this season have been Spurs, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, PSG, Napoli, where Klopp always goes to his tried and tested players.

CognitiveNeuro

Gomez is starting CB this season.
Keita's been injured for about a month now.
But I guess your point is mainly about the midfields he's been putting out, and given half our matches this season have been Spurs, City, Arsenal, Chelsea, PSG, Napoli, where Klopp always goes to his tried and tested players.
Gomez wasn't a new signing from 170million spent.
Keita has been really underwhelming (other than west ham) from before he got injured and wasn't even a regular starter in the lineup.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Gomez wasn't a new signing from 170million spent.
Keita has been really underwhelming (other than West Ham) from before he got injured and wasn't even a regular starter in the lineup.
Klopp has always eased in his new players, just look at Van Dijk and Robertson. So I don't know what point you're trying to make, especially with respect to Keita who didn't even have a decent run of games before he got injured.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Wasn't Van Dijk first name on the teamsheet from day 1?

Keita has been very stop/start. Hopefully he can get a run of games soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.