Liverpool 2018/19

By how many points will Liverpool win the title this season?

Votes: 100 52.9%
  • Oof

Votes: 89 47.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

montpelier

I suppose, for the fixtures, City have been to them but they haven't been to City. But we could certainly do with them losing to Arsenal.

You have to say that Klopp, for all his un-likeability (by us), has done an excellent job on the Football Manager side of the thing.

I am definitely a little bit worried.

Josh 76

Much more difficult to quantify who is the best team in europe but they are up there. They dont want to jinx it I guess, wouldnt blame them tbh.
They should at least admit they are in with a shout. Everyone can see that.

Hamadovich86

Better than City? Not for me, Clive. We have an excellent side, and Klopp has done a good job building it over time, but City’s squad is out of this world. I think we need to upgrade on Lallana and Sturridge if we are going to claim we have the best side.
On current form i'd say so, City have depth in their bench but you lot are doing really good with what you have.

Treble

The scousers are the best team in England, the nightmare continues.
You are selling them short though. They are the first team to win the league after 10 games (with all rivals having a game in hand at that). One only needs to watch how they brush aside Huddersfield, Red Star and Cardiff to see that they are the very best out there.

Seriously, they don't look all that. Defence is doing great but at the expense of attack. They are struggling to score more league goals than Bournemouth right now.

Hamadovich86

You are selling them short though. They are the first team to win the league after 10 games (with all rivals having a game in hand at that). One only needs to watch how they brush aside Huddersfield, Red Star and Cardiff to see that they are the very best out there.

Seriously, they don't look all that. Defence is doing great but at the expense of attack. They are struggling to score more league goals than Bournemouth right now.
Didnt say they will win the title (god forbid) but imo they are the best team in England. They have improved significantly at the back and are still capable of ripping teams apart going forward.

Treble

Didnt say they will win the title (god forbid) but imo they are the best team in England. They have improved significantly at the back and are still capable of ripping teams apart going forward.
You are entitled of your opnion but it is based on little evidence. It's not like Liverpool didn't play City recently and were a biit lucky not to lose at home. And it's not like they are already many points ahead of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs.

fergieisold

I've watched them twice against Leicester and Huddersfield and they looked poor both times. On paper we should be challenging the likes of Liverpool!

Congus

Supports
Liverpool

You make it sound like Bournemouth is struggling to score goals. Bar City, Chelsea and Arsenal, they have more goals than everyone else. Our attack seems to be clicking better and we have a few more goals compared to the same amount of games last season. In a couple months, people will stop talking about the 'lack' of goals like they have with saying VVD is overrated.

Treble

You make it sound like Bournemouth is struggling to score goals. Bar City, Chelsea and Arsenal, they have more goals than everyone else. Our attack seems to be clicking better and we have a few more goals compared to the same amount of games last season. In a couple months, people will stop talking about the 'lack' of goals like they have with saying VVD is overrated.
Happy that you already know what's going to happen.

You are scoring 1,9 goals per game so far. Not very impressive given that you have the best attack in the world.

More importantly, it's not a given that when you start to score more goals, you'll continue to be solid in defence.

Congus

Supports
Liverpool
Happy that you already know what's going to happen.

You are scoring 1,9 goals per game so far. That is, you are on course to 74 goals. Not very impressive given that you have the best attack in the world.

More importantly, it's not a given that when you start to score more goals, you'll continue to be solid in defence. Watch this space.
It sounds like you already know what's going to happen. Nothing is for certain obviously, isn't that the beauty of the game?

PoTMS

Hate to say it but it's time we start supporting City now. Only team capable of stopping Liverpool for the league title.

Butch Cassidy

Supports
Liverpool
I've watched them twice against Leicester and Huddersfield and they looked poor both times. On paper we should be challenging the likes of Liverpool!
Yep, we haven't clicked, and perhaps we never will this season. City will win the league with the rest fighting for the minor places.

But, we are better than Utd, both on paper and on the pitch. DDG and Pogba are better than what we have and, for me, and that's it. I realise there is obviously a heavy element of bias in that statement, and I also recognise that Martial and Rashford are very good players. But your defence is average and so is your attack. I do think your attack is a lot better than how it's performing, mind.

I expect City to pull away sooner or later. I hope we will be comfortably second, though, and that will represent progress on last season. I'm hoping we win the FA Cup. Bombing out of the League Cup was disappointing.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
They’ve been rather lucky in many games this season (Benteke missed sitter 90th minute v Palace, Mahrez penalty miss at the death v City, Sturridge worldie equaliser at the death v Chelsea) so I’m not overly worried at their performance level. To me, they are only two consecutive average results from caving in as we all know they are probably the streakiest confidence team out of all the top 6. Scraping wins whilst not playing particularly well, many say, is the sign of a good team but I’m not buying it with them.

I think their scraped victories are just masking over their deficiencies and they’ll be exposed the longer the season goes on and the games start building up. Klopp will have to sacrifice yet another competition (the FA Cup) if they’re to compete for the title and in Europe, and I’d argue even sacrifice one of those further again come March/April and solely focus on one trophy. They haven’t got the energy levels required to play their bum-rush football on all fronts throughout the season.

Butch Cassidy

Supports
Liverpool
I think their scraped victories are just masking over their deficiencies and they’ll be exposed the longer the season goes on and the games start building up. Klopp will have to sacrifice yet another competition (the FA Cup) if they’re to compete for the title and in Europe, and I’d argue even sacrifice one of those further again come March/April and solely focus on one trophy. They haven’t got the energy levels required to play their bum-rush football on all fronts throughout the season.
What do you see as our deficiencies? Obviously we are far from a perfect side, but I personally don't see us as having any glaring deficiencies, so interested in an opposing view.

Treble

It sounds like you already know what's going to happen. Nothing is for certain obviously, isn't that the beauty of the game?
I expect that your goalscoring record will get better at the expense of your defensive record. My take is that you won't revert to pre-VVD times but you won't continue with the current defensive record either.

So, I question your confidence that you are going to make linear progress: first you fix the defence, then the attack clicks and everything is rosy.

It might happen, of course, but it is not very likely imo. Last season you had a bad start and the expectations were really low. It's easier to play when people don't expect much from you. Now when you are desperate to win the thing and really really hope that it is going to happen, things are getting more difficult psychologically wise. Your problem is your midfield: not enough creativity there. But you are still likely to reach 85+ pts imo.

Butch Cassidy

Supports
Liverpool
I expect that your goalscoring record will get better at the expense of your defensive record. My take is that you won't revert to pre-VVD times but you won't continue with the current defensive record either.

So, I question your confidence that you are going to make linear progress: first you fix the defence, then the attack clicks and everything is rosy.

It might happen, of course, but it is not very likely imo. Last season you had a bad start and the expectations were really low. It's easier to play when people don't expect much from you. Now when you are desperate to win the thing and really really hope that it is going to happen, things are getting more difficult psychologically wise. Your problem is your midfield: not enough creativity there. But you are still likely to reach 85+ pts imo.
It's a balance. The defence is winning us games right now and, while our attack isn't scoring at (the backend of) last season's rate, we are still scoring goals and winning games. And winning games is obviously the one and only aim.

Agree about our midfield, though. But hopefully Shaqiri and - eventually - Keita will address that. No guarantees, but that's the plan.

Treble

It's a balance. The defence is winning us games right now and, while our attack isn't scoring at (the backend of) last season's rate, we are still scoring goals and winning games. And winning games is obviously the one and only aim.

Agree about our midfield, though. But hopefully Shaqiri and - eventually - Keita will address that. No guarantees, but that's the plan.
I appreciate the quality of your team, this is why I've predicted that you can win 85+ pts. Which could equal or better your best PL season ever (08/09). Still, 85+ pts are not likely to win the title this season. Maybe 90+ pts will be needed. If you win 89 pts, that will be your best league campaign ever in terms of pts per game.

Hazza83

Supports
Liverpool

Ox too, when he is back. I really enjoyed his performances last season and he is being missed this season. Wonder if we’ll try play a formation similar to City where we have a 6 holding (Fabinho, Hendo, Gini) and any two of (Ox, Keita, Shaq, Lallana, Milner) playing as two 8’s. City do it so well with Fernandinho and 2 of De Bruyne, D Silva, B Silva.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Ox too, when he is back. I really enjoyed his performances last season and he is being missed this season. Wonder if we’ll try play a formation similar to City where we have a 6 holding (Fabinho, Hendo, Gini) and any two of (Ox, Keita, Shaq, Lallana, Milner) playing as two 8’s. City do it so well with Fernandinho and 2 of De Bruyne, D Silva, B Silva.
There's levels between a pairing of KDB & Silva and any of those names you mentioned.

Hazza83

Supports
Liverpool
There's levels between a pairing of KDB & Silva and any of those names you mentioned.
I don’t disagree the City midfield remains well ahead of ours at this moment in time but D Silva and Fernandinho are both getting on in years now, while our best 3 (I’m speculating it will end up being Fabinho, Keita, Ox) have only recently arrived at the club and can be expected to improve over time.

Keita and Ox are not as technically sound as Silva and De Bruyne but I think they bring a little more bite, drive and physicality to a midfield than City’s pairing.

Speedy30

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Woeful record?
Havent you guys smashed 7 goals against them in the last two league games at the Emirates and won and drew.
Since Arsenal moved to the Emirates in 2006, we have played 12 Premier League matches there.
Out of those, we have won 2, drawn 6 and lost 4. I'd say that's a pretty woeful record

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Since Arsenal moved to the Emirates in 2006, we have played 12 Premier League matches there.
Out of those, we have won 2, drawn 6 and lost 4. I'd say that's a pretty woeful record
You need to take into account the fact that for 8 of those 12 seasons Arsenal finished above us in the league, had a settled, successful manager at the helm, & didn't have to contend with an ownership battle. If you look at their record at Anfield during the same period, they only picked up 2 more points than we did at The Emirates. Our record there could be better, but the fact we've only lost 4 times in the last 12 visits can't be classed as 'woeful'.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
They should at least admit they are in with a shout. Everyone can see that.
Until, or should I say, unless, City start dropping silly points, you'll not find too many of us feeling that bullish at the moment. Lot of points still to be played for. Those at The Etihad have proven they have what it takes when it comes to consistency over the course of a full season. We haven't, & that's why City are still very strong favourites @ 1/2 whereas we're around 3/1. So yeah, we're in with a shout at the minute. But we're still very wary of that old 'boom/bust' cycle coming along again at some point during the season.

Treble

Maybe I was onto something there.

Alabaster Codify7

Wild result, that. Never saw that coming. It'll just be a setback though, a weird one, but still. They'll take enough points to go through.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Wild result, that. Never saw that coming. It'll just be a setback though, a weird one, but still. They'll take enough points to go through.
We'll need a win either Napoli or PSG, both of which are incredibly difficult prospects. We'd likely have to beat Napoli by two goals, too.

RSB totally deserved the win tonight. It meant so much to them & their fans that I'm kinda happy for them.

Whiskey Red

Supports
Liverpool
Poor performance tonight no two ways about it. Think it has been coming and hopefully acts as a bit of the rocket up the arse.

Our group is crazy tight, ideally a draw between PSG and Napoli would be good. Regardless I think we are going to need three points at home against Napoli to progress.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Poor performance tonight no two ways about it. Think it has been coming and hopefully acts as a bit of the rocket up the arse.

Our group is crazy tight, ideally a draw between PSG and Napoli would be good. Regardless I think we are going to need three points at home against Napoli to progress.
Nah, ideally, we want PSG to win I reckon.

Presuming both teams beat RSB, the group will look like (not including any points from this game)...

Napoli 8
PSG 7
Liverpool 6
RSB 4

So if PSG win, Napoli will be on 8 points, and a 1 goal win gets us through. If PSG & Napoli ends in a draw, then we'll have to beat Napoli by 2 or more goals to go through on head-to-head (as we'd both be on 9 points), or beat PSG away in Paris to leapfrog them.

Obviously this isn't taking into account the possibility of RSB taking points from either of these teams, which is a long shot, but you never know.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
We'll regret not signing Fekir or someone of that CAM ilk to fill that Countinho role later in the season. It's becoming evident now over the games where we're making less chances in, the loss of chamberlain too from last season linking with the front three to their own thing, theres no drive or cutting edge in the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.