Liverpool are a mess

IRN-BRUno

Probably not a reliable source but this would certainly increase a mess!

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

I imagine they’d get about £150m for him but they wouldn’t be able to replace him.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
An 8 year contract at any age is incredible, especially on big wages. Regardless of form, injuries etc, he’s guaranteed a massive wage for almost a decade man.
At 200k /week it’s worth 83 million quid.
Sort of. These are massive misconceptions that being bandied about to make people feel better.

The contract lengths are a tool, not a reward, and half the people have to be talked into it. Mount flat refused to talk about contracts longer than 5 years.

They also have language in them that affect the rate of pay SEVERELY if certain measurable, like CL football, number of appearances, etc aren’t met.

Contracts that long do not tend to be player friendly. “What if they get injured and can’t play again after the first year??” Well, they actually would probably have an insurance settlement on their contract and additional insurance funds on top… same as any other team.

In the US we often have oddly structured and even overly long contracts. But the only time I’ve seen it enforced was Scottie Pippen with the Bulls and that was a flaming disaster… the player was furious. By the 5th yr he was the second lowest paid player on the Bulls.

No, these long contracts will almost certainly be reworked at given points and revisited based on the players progress. We use them in the US to manipulate spending caps. Restructuring a few contracts at a given point allows you to move money around to meet your cap needs, and the players advantage is they generally get bonuses for being willing to do so.

It’s a tool, not a lure.

People are acting like it’s a lottery ticket, night and day different from the 5 plus one contracts that are more common… and that’s just not true.

Liverpool treated these players like pieces of luggage. If you are a fan be mad at them for THAT. They didn’t even bother talking to Caicedo first; like his acceptance was unimportant or a given.In the meantime they left Lavia somewhat in the cold on contact. In fact, he seems to feel they straight lied to him.

They were coming out with “we made a deal with the team!!!” And Chelsea was like “that’s very nice for you, but could you keep it down, we have the player over a d we’re hanging out, talking about his future. We will get to his team when we know he wants to be a part of what we are doing”

It has just been handled badly - that simple really.

MegadrivePerson

Right now, they've enjoyed a transfer window that Woodward would have been proud of.
I'm not sure about that, They have offloaded two past it high earners and signed two talented midfielders for a net spend of less than £50 million.

They desperately need another defender and a proper holding midfielder though.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool

I wouldn't say no to half a billion for him. The Arabs can amortize him over his 15 years playing career left as their other feeder clubs are doing. :rolleyes:

Not interested at that price? Shame.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I'm not sure about that, They have offloaded two past it high earners and signed two talented midfielders for a net spend of less than £50 million.

They desperately need another defender and a proper holding midfielder though.
Their Lavia and Caicedo chasing was straight out of the Woodward book.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I’ve been thinking that we should go for Højbjerg as the 6. He’s a good player, PL proven, Spurs want rid and he wouldn’t cost a fortune in either fee or wages.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
I’ve been thinking that we should go for Højbjerg as the 6. He’s a good player, PL proven, Spurs want rid and he wouldn’t cost a fortune in either fee or wages.
If he is still available he would make sense to sign alongside a more talented youngster for the position.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

They get a gift from the gods with Saudi taking Fabinho from them for £40m just as he's starting to look finished, so they're using the money to bring in a career relegation scrap level Bundesliga DM who's older than Fabinho is.

RVN1991

They get a gift from the gods with Saudi taking Fabinho from them for £40m just as he's starting to look finished, so they're using the money to bring in a career relegation scrap level Bundesliga DM who's older than Fabinho is.
They'll probably add another midfielder to be fair.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Apparently their recruitment guy really only has deep knowledge of the German league. Yet another Wenger end game Arsenal vibe from Liverpool.

prateik

Liverpool are in the kind of mess I'd love to be in right now.. far better than the shit we are in.

What's the transfer fee? Read that he has a 20m release clause. A cheap squad player or any more than that?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Scenes when he turns us down in favour of a move to Everton.

Infestissumam

Stuttgart has always kind of been my number 2 behind United and Endo's probably been my favourite player there over the last few years, so seeing him go there fecking sucks. Wonderful player for a club like Stuttgart, but I doubt he'll be good enough to have a real impact at Liverpool.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
I now understand what rival fans felt watching us in the transfer window in Wenger's last few years. This is great entertainment

arthurka

Apparently their recruitment guy really only has deep knowledge of the German league. Yet another Wenger end game Arsenal vibe from Liverpool.
Jörg Schmadke is the guy, he has saved many mediocre clubs from financial ruins but has a reputation of being all knowing of the players in Germany in all levels.
Endo was fantastic couple of seasons ago but has been the best player at Stuttgart but they have been really poor to be fair. He is a very decent player and a good stop gap but if this is the level they are going for they are in deep trouble.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Liverpool are in the kind of mess I'd love to be in right now.. far better than the shit we are in.

What's the transfer fee? Read that he has a 20m release clause. A cheap squad player or any more than that?
They really aren't. What mess are we in? The club on and off the field has put in some very good work since ETH was appointed. But obviously it is always doom and gloom on this forum with the grass always being greener at other clubs.

FortunaUtd

That is what happens when you give the DoF job to (Fortuna legend) Jörg Schmadtke, of Hannover, Wolfsburg and Köln fame :lol:
Buying 30 year old Japanese players from Stuttgart is his level, and he will have dragged Liverpool down to it in no time.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
They really aren't. What mess are we in? The club on and off the field has put in some very good work since ETH was appointed. But obviously it is always doom and gloom on this forum with the grass always being greener at other clubs.
Our midfield, the most important area in any team is still miles away.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Our midfield, the most important area in any team is still miles away.

Well regardless if whether us as fans agree with the signing or not, the club has just paid £60m for a midfielder. The club is also obviously wanting to sign Amrabat but are trying to sell players before spending more money. The club is trying to strengthen the midfield still after already strengthening the midfield. How is that the club being a mess?

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Suprisining.

the_cliff

I thought Liverpool needed some players to fill their homegrown quota which is why they wanted Colwill and Dewsberyy Hall.

What's happened to that ?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Their transfer strategy has been mad this summer. They go after 2 very young DM but miss out on both and now they’re signing a 30 year old Japanese player. That screams out desperation. They know no one will challenge them for him :lol:

B20

Supports
Liverpool
we need two defensive midfielders. I will take one can-do-a-job player with a bit of experience. It's neither here nor there. Still waiting on the first choice selection though.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Their transfer strategy has been mad this summer. They go after 2 very young DM but miss out on both and now they’re signing a 30 year old Japanese player. That screams out desperation. They know no one will challenge them for him :lol:
I reckon we would have signed this guy anyway if we had signed one of the two. We were always going to need an extra body in there.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I've had years of other fans give me shit over United's horrific transfer summers, especially Liverpool fans, who have been incredibly smug.

Now it's hilarious to see them defend and justify Liverpool's awful transfer strategy.

What I found very funny is they've usually had free runs at players recently and everyone lauded their "incredible ability in the market". No sooner do they have to compete with other big clubs for players, did their ability suddenly vanish. Perhaps they were good because they were barely challenged and now they get to see how difficult the market can be.

I wonder how this 30yo will settle in the PL and how long the contract will be.

erikcred

I've had years of other fans give me shit over United's horrific transfer summers, especially Liverpool fans, who have been incredibly smug.

Now it's hilarious to see them defend and justify Liverpool's awful transfer strategy.

What I found very funny is they've usually had free runs at players recently and everyone lauded their "incredible ability in the market". No sooner do they have to compete with other big clubs for players, did their ability suddenly vanish. Perhaps they were good because they were barely challenged and now they get to see how difficult the market can be.

I wonder how this 30yo will settle in the PL and how long the contract will be.
That actually was an incredible ability. To identify players with great potential that no one else seemed to want to compete for. Salah, Mane, Firmino, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Robertson. Except for Van Dijk and Alisson there was barely any noise about any of the original Klopp team while they were being signed. It's just that once their sporting director left, everything went to hell.

At this point they're reduced to our old strategy of reading the papers to scout targets. The Caicedo debacle was great to see, but them signing Bundesliga relegation level players is just sad. Takes all the fun out of mocking them.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
That actually was an incredible ability. To identify players with great potential that no one else seemed to want to compete for. Salah, Mane, Firmino, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Robertson. Except for Van Dijk and Alisson there was barely any noise about any of the original Klopp team while they were being signed. It's just that once their sporting director left, everything went to hell.

At this point they're reduced to our old strategy of reading the papers to scout targets. The Caicedo debacle was great to see, but them signing Bundesliga relegation level players is just sad. Takes all the fun out of mocking them.
No it doesn’t. At all.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I reckon we would have signed this guy anyway if we had signed one of the two. We were always going to need an extra body in there.
Is he gonna be your only guy though? If so then I’d put him down as your 3rd choice option.

erikcred

No it doesn’t. At all.
You realise that mocking is only meaningful when the subject doesn't also join in? When I bring up these transfers to my Liverpool supporting mates, they just agree with me and say "Yea we're shite. No idea what the club is thinking". What do I do then?

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
You realise that mocking is only meaningful when the subject doesn't also join in? When I bring up these transfers to my Liverpool supporting mates, they just agree with me and say "Yea we're shite. No idea what the club is thinking". What do I do then?
You keep drilling the point in and make sure that salt is deep in that wound and entering the blood supply.