Liverpool are a mess

DevilRed

Just a very confusing transfer policy from them.

One week they are looking to smash the british transfer record. Then the next week they are signing a budget stop gap player.

With the money they clearly have, surely they could have targeted a more prominent player for their midfield.

Ole90+3

One week they are looking to smash the british transfer record. Then the next week they are signing a budget stop gap player.

With the money they clearly have, surely they could have targeted a more prominent player for their midfield.
No point on blowing your transfer budget on targets who aren’t worth it. May as well wait for the right player to become available then go all in. I get it. They were just unlucky that Caicedo fancied Cheslea

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Is he gonna be your only guy though? If so then I’d put him down as your 3rd choice option.
If he's our only guy he becomes our 1st choice option as we have no one else in his position.

B20

Supports
Liverpool

I really really expect us to sign another. We aren't obligated to wait to sign the backups till after the first choice targets, so it makes sense to everyone in sequence.

bringbackbebe

I really really expect us to sign another. We aren't obligated to wait to sign the backups till after the first choice targets, so it makes sense to everyone in sequence.
If you were really in for him as a backup, why wait till end Aug to sign him? He was available in pre-season. Looks like you waited for Caicedo who showed you the finger & it's now too late to get someone else in, so enter Wataru.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
If you were really in for him as a backup, why wait till end Aug to sign him? He was available in pre-season. Looks like you waited for Caicedo who showed you the finger & it's now too late to get someone else in, so enter Wataru.
Do you know what “backup” means?

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Ok

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Well regardless if whether us as fans agree with the signing or not, the club has just paid £60m for a midfielder. The club is also obviously wanting to sign Amrabat but are trying to sell players before spending more money. The club is trying to strengthen the midfield still after already strengthening the midfield. How is that the club being a mess?
Why waste your time, bud? As you say, it has to be doom and gloom after one match. We’re a mess and our seasons already a write off!

Josep Dowling

No point on blowing your transfer budget on targets who aren’t worth it. May as well wait for the right player to become available then go all in. I get it. They were just unlucky that Caicedo fancied Cheslea
Or Liverpool put the bid in to tell a grumpy set of supporters that they can spend the money. Don’t get the player and can say ‘oh well we tried’, then go for a much cheaper alternative. Since buying Alisson and Van Dijk it’s been a consistent approach by FSG, eventually buying mid-level purchases the quality of the squad will suffer.

cyberman

Not sure going in big for a player that didn’t want to join that was on the brink of joining another club is considered bad luck

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I'm aware that this isn't a lot of money for Liverpool, but aside from that this looks so insane. For starters he's rated €6.5m on TM (as a rough indicator) and Stuttgart seem fairly reasonable when selling their players these days (e.g. €15m for Kobel), as they kind of need the money. So I assume they may even have sold Endo for half if they were appproached earlier.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Its funny how some desire to pretend the world's DM talents with Rice, Caicedo or Lavia and any failure tt sign them at over priced rates 'is a mess":lol::lol:
They didn’t fail to sign them because they refused to pay the over priced rates, they failed to sign them because the players made it clear they wanted moves to other clubs.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
They didn’t fail to sign them because they refused to pay the over priced rates, they failed to sign them because the players made it clear they wanted moves to other clubs.
I think Lavia probably had interest, in fairness.

Can see him feeling a bit miffed that Liverpool were haggling over a few million for him, only to offer over twice the amount for Caicedo.

crossy1686

career ending

What's even more confusing is that they didn't have the money for Bellingham or Levia, then they had the money for Caciedo, then they had the money for Levia all of a sudden and now they're buying 30 year old Jap's from the Bundesliga.

Would love to have been a fly on the wall in some of these meetings about transfers.

buckooo1978

Klopp's mate is operating as a part time DoF at the minute isnt he. Soon to leave. Really disjointed approach from Liverpool who are all over the place.

Liverpool for a few months have been what United have been for 10 years

A disaster in the market or squad building

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I'm aware that this isn't a lot of money for Liverpool, but aside from that this looks so insane. For starters he's rated €6.5m on TM (as a rough indicator) and Stuttgart seem fairly reasonable when selling their players these days (e.g. €15m for Kobel), as they kind of need the money. So I assume they may even have sold Endo for half if they were appproached earlier.
To be fair, if Caicedo costs €133m and Rice €115m then €25m for Endo seems almost reasonable.

Both insane, IMO.

Chief123

A Bundesliga player coming to the premier league at the age of 30. What could possibly go wrong? :drool:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
That actually was an incredible ability. To identify players with great potential that no one else seemed to want to compete for. Salah, Mane, Firmino, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Robertson. Except for Van Dijk and Alisson there was barely any noise about any of the original Klopp team while they were being signed. It's just that once their sporting director left, everything went to hell.

At this point they're reduced to our old strategy of reading the papers to scout targets. The Caicedo debacle was great to see, but them signing Bundesliga relegation level players is just sad. Takes all the fun out of mocking them.
Loads of people wanted Fabinho and Firmino, I remember the transfer thread on here as we were in for him.

It wasn't an amazing ability, they were a smaller, unsuccessful club, it's easier to grab certain players because they were operating within a budget and lack of pull.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
A Bundesliga player coming to the premier league at the age of 30. What could possibly go wrong? :drool:
Always sad when a good player in a decent league goes to semitirement in some glorified Saudi league just for the quick buck :(

Everybody follows the money these days.

the_cliff

I know that everyone's having a laugh at Liverpool rn but I think that the signing of Endo is more of a replacement for Milner than a true DM. Still think they get a DM.

Chief123

Always sad when a good player in a decent league goes to semitirement in some glorified Saudi league just for the quick buck :(

What’s even more sad is when a player comes with so much promise because they looked good in a mediocre league and fail to impress like the rest.

Chief123

I know that everyone's having a laugh at Liverpool rn but I think that the signing of Endo is more of a replacement for Milner than a true DM. Still think they get a DM.
To be fair the lollipop man outside anfield would have been an adequate replacement for Milner.

El Zoido

What's even more confusing is that they didn't have the money for Bellingham or Levia, then they had the money for Caciedo, then they had the money for Levia all of a sudden and now they're buying 30 year old Jap's from the Bundesliga.

Would love to have been a fly on the wall in some of these meetings about transfers.
They had the money for Bellingham, he turned them down and they said they couldn’t afford him in an attempt to save face.

Chief123

They had the money for Bellingham, he turned them down and they said they couldn’t afford him in an attempt to save face.
They didn’t have the money to spend all on one player when they needed multiple reinforcements.

The only reason they bid that much for Caicedo is because they got an unexpected £50m for Fab and Hendo and they were also desperate.

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Any league where Wout Weghorst scores 1 goal in every 2 games cannot be classified as a decent league.

Steve Bruce

So is Endo world class and better than Casemiro or will the scousers wait until he has a decent game before they declare yet another player as being the best in the world?

erikcred

Loads of people wanted Fabinho and Firmino, I remember the transfer thread on here as we were in for him.
Oh please! It means feck all that random people on this forum would've liked to have signed either of these two players.

The club and manager(s) wanted Depay and Matic. So that's what we got. If the club wanted Fabinho and Firmino, we could've blown Liverpool out of the water with our transfer budget.

It wasn't an amazing ability, they were a smaller, unsuccessful club, it's easier to grab certain players because they were operating within a budget and lack of pull.
Erm, what? :houllier: Maybe you should read bit that aloud to yourself.

You must be terrified of the players championship clubs sign then.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Oh please! It means feck all that random people on this forum would've liked to have signed either of these two players.

The club and manager(s) wanted Depay and Matic. So that's what we got. If the club wanted Fabinho and Firmino, we could've blown Liverpool out of the water with our transfer budget.

Erm, what? :houllier: Maybe you should read bit that aloud to yourself.

You must be terrified of the players championship clubs sign then.
Absolute bobbins post.

It's weird that the biggest complaint most big teams fanbases have with some transfers is "OMG, Villa/Brighton/Southampton signed him for so little, why didn't we grab him instead of giving them X millions for him...." So yeah, the point that smaller teams can sometimes have an easy time in the transfer market is fair.

So it's kinda obvious that smaller teams can pick up more bargains than top teams, for a variety of reasons but there is no point speaking with someone so disingenuous

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Show your workings on this one. This seems like a desperate straw clutch.
Why do we, on here always moan that we should buy the scouting departments from smaller clubs, who keep signing players for smaller fees that we end up trying to buy for 10x the price? how do they keep signing these top prospects when we....don't?

Pronewbie

Peep
They didn’t have the money to spend all on one player when they needed multiple reinforcements.

The only reason they bid that much for Caicedo is because they got an unexpected £50m for Fab and Hendo and they were also desperate.
Nah Bellingham is worth the money he went for even without the silly inflation. He's a one-off talent you'd bring forward your transfer budget for. Just imagine if we got him instead of Mount :drool:

izec

Endo is a good squad player. Watched him at the WC and at Stuttgart a couple of times, and i thought he stood out, especially for Japan. Smart and intelligent player. They need more though.

The fees have gone up this year.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Which DOES happen and never equates to the end of the world. I remember we one famously failed to bag Ronaldinho and ended up with a cr7 instead irrc.....

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Which DOES happen and never equates to the end of the world. I remember we one famously failed to bag Ronaldinho and ended up with a cr7 instead irrc.....
Wow you’ve stumped me with that one edge case scenario from two decades ago

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Endo is a good squad player. Watched him at the WC and at Stuttgart a couple of times, and i thought he stood out, especially for Japan. Smart and intelligent player. They need more though.

The fees have gone up this year.
I doubt it. They needed a stater. With their Spanish kid as his designated back up. Plus a another reliable cb to cover VDV and Konate and then the rebuild would be pretty much done

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
Will he start? I can't say I know much about Endo, but Stuttgart fans online seem gutted.