Liverpool are just a stepping stone to a bigger club

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Poor spending and a scattergun approach where they sign any body (usually average players) with the hope of fitting them in to the XI. I never understood why they signed Borini or Joe Allen when better players were available. Even with Lallana, 25mil could have been used to sign someone like Firmino.

Rednotdead

The title is wrong. It should read "Liverpool are just a stepping stone to a big club".

Liverpool are only a top third club the same a Spurs etc.

STE586

I wouldn't say they're a stepping stone to bigger clubs, in the premier league like it or not and even without major success they're still one of the biggest clubs in England. They're in a really bad place right now, 12 months has set them back massively but 12 months from now they could be back at the top. Yeah most of us here would like them to fail but, if they get the right manager and the right players they can be a force again. But then again, you could say that about any team.

DirtyOldTown

Crazy what happens in a year or two. United were league winners two years ago then dead and buried last year and now seen as a force again and Liverpool went from 6th two years ago to nearly winning the league last year and now dead and buried again. Football eh!

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
The title is wrong. It should read "Liverpool are just a stepping stone to a big club".

Liverpool are only a top third club the same a Spurs etc.
They're collective nouns, so either 'is' or 'are' are fine. In Britain it is typically plural.

Bojan11

I think this is wrong personally.

Yes, Suarez left. But it was the same with Ronaldo and quite possibly with De Gea. Are we a stepping stone too? If Liverpool start selling players to their rivals like Sterling then yes they could be classed like Arsenal and Spurs.

Rednotdead

They're collective nouns, so either 'is' or 'are' are fine. In Britain it is typically plural.
I think you missed the thrust of my post - I was replacing "bigger" with "big". "Bigger" could indicate that Liverpool are a big club, "Big" indicates they're not!

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
I think you missed the thrust of my post - I was replacing "bigger" with "big". "Bigger" could indicate that Liverpool are a big club, "Big" indicates they're not!
Right. I get it now. You are right of course.

Shark

@NotShark
I think this is wrong personally.

Yes, Suarez left. But it was the same with Ronaldo and quite possibly with De Gea. Are we a stepping stone too? If Liverpool start selling players to their rivals like Sterling then yes they could be classed like Arsenal and Spurs.
Ronaldo is one example. Liverpool have had many key players leave for pastures new. Torres, Alonso and that ugly Argentine to name a few.

AllezLesDiables

I thinking of the best ways to assess this is to look at their ability to attract big stars and do they overpay for established players and young talent.

There's a stark contrast between the transfer window acquisitions of Liverpool versus those of Chelsea, United, and to lesser extents City and Arsenal.

United spend loads of cash and paid for players who are considered extremely high profile in Di Maria and then loan for Falcao. The Shaw deal could have not been made by Liverpool. Rojo and Blind Liverpool could have accomplished.

Chelsea got Cesc and Costa. Arsenal was able to get Sanchez.

Liverpool's signings were mostly signings that would be either depth signings or starters but not of world class type quality.

Lovren, Balotelli, Can, Markovic all players who have small or no chances of being world class players.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
It's as bad as it's ever been. It's not only about not paying big money for big player . Agents now are in their ears about wages. And if you don' t have a sugar daddy owner,sooner or later a club is gonna slide.
I would almost want united to win rather than Chelsea,City.
Its that bad

prarek

This has been the trend for a while now and it will continue to unless they get back into CL regularly which i don't see happening with the emergence of City.