Liverpool FC are up for sale

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The Glazers aren't (solely) responsible for your downfall, nor is FSG responsible for our recent successes. Both just need to get managerial appointments spot on - the latter already did that and perhaps you've also found your guy with Ten Hag now. A lack of investment in the squad isn't why Utd has stopped being succesful.
Exactly my point. The main reason we’ve been so shit for so long has been bad decisions around who to hire. Whether that be players, the manager, or anyone else involved in the footballing side of the club. FSG seem to have generally been very good at that side of things. So I don’t see how Liverpool taking a leap into the unknown is the obvious upside you’d think from most of the comments in this thread.

MUFC OK

Exactly my point. The main reason we’ve been so shit for so long has been bad decisions around who to hire. Whether that be players, the manager, or anyone else involved in the footballing side of the club. FSG seem to have generally been very good at that side of things. So I don’t see how Liverpool taking a leap into the unknown is the obvious upside you’d think from most of the comments in this thread.
It's the assumption they will be acquired by owners akin to City, PSG and Newcastle who will absolutely bank-roll them - which is very likely.

The Urban Goose

I'll put £100 in to buy them, anyone else interested? Liverpool FC owned by Man Utd supporters... excellent.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Someone should buy them just to run them ro the ground and do humanity a service.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
The failed Super League has contributed to this for sure.

While their weakness was funding being short, they did seem to make good decisions under them. They may not necessarily get better owners. They could get richer owners but who have the Woodward level of decision making.
Yeap three options:

1. Somebody rich and smart/responsible will buy them. There are very few of those left so extremely unlikely. Ratcliffe being a United fan will hopefully stop him, but he is businessman first so who knows

2. Somebody like Glazers will buy them and drive into the ground. Probably most likely considering who bought Chelsea

3. Some oil-rich or blood money rich asshole
will buy them and try turning them into City/Newcastle-like project. Very bad for EPL

Member 125288

They’re inviting shareholders to buy a stake and that doesn’t mean they are selling the club outright.

In a technical sense, they are selling the club but not to change of ownership level. They want a Clearlake Capital like Boehly has at Chelsea or whoever the Glazers want at United, to pump in the money. Otherwise it wouldn’t say they’re fully committed to Liverpool. They still want to run Liverpool but with someone pumping in money to assist.

Ornstein’s tweet is kinda misleading as they are up for sale but not the entire club. It is no different to where United are at now with the Glazers, who are looking for third party investment.

I‘m absolutely sure the Glazers and John Henry talk to each other (as seen with the European Super League) and the ESL getting shot down was a setback and this third party investor thing is their new scheme.
You need to read between the lines though, the timing of this will be significant (if not immediately obvious why) and you can bet that they absolutely will sell if someone comes along looking to be majority shareholder with a big bash of cash.

Xaviboy

Didn't Jim Ratcliffe try and buy Chelsea when up for sale. Will he try and buy Liverpool. I hope not

Sir Erik ten Hag

These fecks saw the writing on the wall and immediately bailed, yet the Glazers sit here and drain the club more and more. Why are we so fecking cursed?
I have seen the CAF bashed on every kind of candidate for the next ownership, though. From the MBS to Dubai to Elon Musk... The number of capable buyers is very small, yet none of them has satisfied the CAF yet.

Kill3r7

Surprising move considering that Washington Commanders will likely sell for over $6Billion. You would think they would wait for that sale to go through before attempting to sell Liverpool.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Can’t believe I’m jealous of Liverpool.
How are you seeing this as a good thing for Liverpool? I'm livid and sad. If it goes down the murderous regime route (ME, China, etc) then supporting my beloved club will have to stop. You should be happy.

MUFC OK

New ownership could go either way to be honest.
Majority of interested parties in Chelsea were american. The value of pound v dollar is very favourable currently too. To be honest though I think FSG will sell to best possible candidate for the club and expect supporters to have a big say. It's definitely good news for them.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
Majority of interested parties in Chelsea were american. The value of pound v dollar is very favourable currently too. To be honest though I think FSG will sell to best possible candidate for the club and expect supporters to have a big say. It's definitely good news for them.
No chance. The highest bidder will win.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think if they get new owners they'll get stronger because they have everything in place structurally on the football side of the club. And that structure started taking shape after Damien Comolli was brought to the club, who in-turn brought Edwards and the data science head (Graham) to the club after getting to know them from his time at Tottenham. FSG fired Comolli after a short time but he had put in place the people who would prove to be very important in Liverpool's success in the long-term. They also have the face of a potential new project in Jurgen Klopp, and he's among the best in the world in his role as the head coach.

I think as far as the United owners are concerned, I feel they will sell within the next two years but it will be a sale done in secrecy imo. I also think a potential Liverpool sale would put even more pressure on the Glazers.

Smores

How are you seeing this as a good thing for Liverpool? I'm livid and sad. If it goes down the murderous regime route (ME, China, etc) then supporting my beloved club will have to stop. You should be happy.
Most of your fans won't stop and fan numbers are largely a side issue for these nation state funded clubs anyway. Plenty of plastics about when you can buy success.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We don't know that yet though, do we? Chelsea's new owner is playing Football Manager. They could get ownership similar to the Glazer family for all we know.

TheLiverBird

Anything is for sale for the right price

why is this being reported as being up for sale when all I saw was they were open to new shareholders?

Sparky Rhiwabon

FSG have taken one look at City and Newcastle and thought “we can’t compete financially with those” - getting out before it becomes too obvious

Teja

Plenty of investor interest in football seemingly. The Chelsea consortium, the hedgefunds bankrolling Barca revenues etc.

Doesn't have to go the ME dictator route.

Teja

FSG have taken one look at City and Newcastle and thought “we can’t compete financially with those” - getting out before it becomes too obvious
Yup they're pretty smart. Their valuation peaked and it's the right time to exit.

GMoore23

Fenway have gotten a free ride as they're even worse owners than the Glazers imo. Liverpool's net spend under them is pathetic. They're extremely lucky to have gotten Klopp as manger and they struck gold with the Coutinho money signings. Now that a rebuild is needed with Klopp likely not on board, the owners are jumping ship as well.

MUFC OK

Fenway have gotten a free ride as they're even worse owners than the Glazers imo. Liverpool's net spend under them is pathetic. They're extremely lucky to have gotten Klopp as manger and they struck gold with the Coutinho money signings. Now that a rebuild is needed with Klopp likely not on board, the owners are jumping ship as well.
Any evidence of that whatsoever? Pretty sure he'll stick around to spend the £££. He has a contract too.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Why are they selling up? Hoping the ESL is a non starter hence one of the reasons behind a potential sale. Glazers are you watching?
Yup the ESL is truly dead and buried if they’re willing to sell. No way they pass up on that cash cow otherwise. These guys are so slimy, selling up when they know the team needs major investment,

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
They put a lot of money in on the capital side of things. The Anfield extension and the training ground.

Our capital spent under the Glazers in practically zero for the last 17 years.

They also don't take out money. Overall they are a lot better.

cyberman

Whoever comes in needs to spend a lot of money on the squad and I’m not surprised the owners are backing off it.
it’ll be another American consortium and hopefully more chaos because sugar daddy’s don’t exist anymore

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Surprising move considering that Washington Commanders will likely sell for over $6Billion. You would think they would wait for that sale to go through before attempting to sell Liverpool.
Why's that? They don't have any stake in the Commanders - and Dan Snyder doesn't really want to sell right now either, so that process could take a while. The NFL is a completely different kind of league than the PL as well so hard to take anything away from such a valuation.

Even if they want to, they have very recent examples in both the PL (Chelsea) and the NFL (Broncos) to compare any bids to.