Liverpool might pull out of Carabao cup

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Pretty sure that's a tongue in cheek comment about the 2000 FA cup.
The original comment was, yeah

Anyways, how the FA planned for this will be interesting to see

Chipper

Adulterer.
Why can't they play the tie in November?
It's full up:

Sat 2nd - Villa (PL)
Tue 5th - Genk (CL)
Sun 10th - City (PL)
*International break*
Sat 23rd - Palace (PL)
Wed 27th Napoli (CL)
Sat 30th - Brighton (PL)

Chipper

Adulterer.
Then they are well and truly f****d.
I think they'll just play it in January, but we'll see.

Thinking about it, I suppose part of the problem in fitting it in is the recent-ish change in internationals, staggering them all out over different nights so more can be televised.

They take up 2 midweeks now where games can't be played in November, might only have been 1 in the past. E.g. England play on Thursday the 14th and Sunday the 17th, Germany on Saturday the 16th and Tuesday the 19th. In the past all the internationals would have been on roughly the same days, either the 12th/13th and 16th, or alternatively the 16th + 19th/20th and there'd have been an extra free Tuesday or Wednesday in there for club sides to play if needed.

Last edited:

riis

Supports
Liverpool
Then they are well and truly f****d.
I think the likely outcome is we play it on the 7th/8th of January (the week the first semifinal-leg is supposed to be played) and whoever wins play the first semifinal-leg the following week (14th/15th).

Finn MacCool

Supports
Liverpool
Having two cup competitions makes scheduling very difficult. I can see the LC eventually being scrapped or PL teams not playing in it. That together with no FAC replays would free up extra midweek dates for PL games. This would then enable a proper 3 week winter break in January bookended by the 3rd and 4th rounds of the FAC.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
They are a set of moaning tarts, I remember the 92 season we came second to Leeds and had to play the 16th, 18th, 20th and 22nd April, got one point from 12 out of those 4 games and lost the league by 4 points and zero sympathy from anyone in the league.

Suck it up buttercups.
Exactly this!

Can you think of Fergie saying anything like Klopp did?
We won the League Cup and CWC when that happened.

Irrational.

In all honesty, do you blame them?

They were a whisker away from winning the league last season. No doubt Klopp is going to throw a competition or two to make sure he wins it this time.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
As it stands they are literally supposed to play a game in england while being on a different continent

It's not really hard to see where the problem might be here :D

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

They were a whisker away from winning the league last season. No doubt Klopp is going to throw a competition or two to make sure he wins it this time.
The hilarious thing is they tried to throw last night with that shocking lineup.

And still went through!

Love it if they go out next round, having made so many moans about things.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I mean realistically, they probably already have a contingency in place(that is, postponing the game) and we're going to hear about it soon

But until then, this is a fun situation :lol:

fergiesarmy1

Aren’t they actually seeded in this world club cup which means the semi final will probably be against some team they could beat with last nights team?

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
From November 23rd through January 5th we already play 13 games in 6 weeks without including the Villa league cup game. I'd hardly call that "most rest out of everyone". Man City in comparison play 11 games (+ probably a league cup game) in the same timeframe.
November is Christmas now?

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
This is our December fixture list as it stands with Villa added in for the League Cup QF

Wed 4 Everton H
Sat 7 Bournemouth A
Tue 10 Salzburg A
Sat 14 Watford H
Tue 17 Villa A
Wed 18 CWC N
Sat 21 CWC N
West Ham (Postponed due to CWC) A
Thu 26 Leicester A
Sun 29 Wolves H

I've no idea what they'll do but maybe Mon 23rd Dec could work for the Villa match as we both play on the 21st (providing we get to the CWC final) so it would be a fair match all round? Crazy scheduling and the West Ham game still needs to slot in somewhere down the line. The joys of being a successful team again!
piece of p!$$,ye'll win all of them.

Irrational.

As it stands they are literally supposed to play a game in england while being on a different continent

It's not really hard to see where the problem might be here :D
Klopp is obviously an absolute cnut for not being able to teleport his team and play two games simultaneously.

The hilarious thing is they tried to throw last night with that shocking lineup.

And still went through!

Love it if they go out next round, having made so many moans about things.
At times in that game I was convinced they were throwing it! Then they'd score a worldie :lol:

My ideal situation would be for them to scrap it to the finals and then lose, maximising the number of fixtures.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Klopp is obviously an absolute cnut for not being able to teleport his team and play two games simultaneously.

At times in that game I was convinced they were throwing it! Then they'd score a worldie :lol:

My ideal situation would be for them to scrap it to the finals and then lose, maximising the number of fixtures.
Having seen them blag through competitions and win when they shouldn't have before, I would always prefer them out of every cup early.

ManchesterYoda

Just use academy players on a Thursday evening after a Tuesday Champions League game.
10th December Salzburg
14th December Watford
Put it between those 2 games and stop moaning.
I wasn't even aware of the Club World Cup but it would be very funny it that causes them to lose the title.

Last edited:

riis

Supports
Liverpool
November is Christmas now?
LFC have played two games within 48 hours of each other in late December/early January twice in the previous three seasons, your point is simply wrong regardless of how you approach it.

Perseus

LFC have played two games within 48 hours of each other in late December/early January twice in the previous three seasons, your point is simply wrong regardless of how you approach it.
Brighton played mostly their third team against Villa in the EFL Cup, so I can't see Liverpool can't do the same? or

Come off player number 74, number 72 wants a run out.

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
This is our December fixture list as it stands with Villa added in for the League Cup QF

Wed 4 Everton H
Sat 7 Bournemouth A
Tue 10 Salzburg A
Sat 14 Watford H
Tue 17 Villa A
Wed 18 CWC N
Sat 21 CWC N
West Ham (Postponed due to CWC) A
Thu 26 Leicester A
Sun 29 Wolves H

I've no idea what they'll do but maybe Mon 23rd Dec could work for the Villa match as we both play on the 21st (providing we get to the CWC final) so it would be a fair match all round? Crazy scheduling and the West Ham game still needs to slot in somewhere down the line. The joys of being a successful team again!
That's horrendous and exactly the kind of thing Sir Alex would rage at.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Just being dramatic to try to get a time/dste that suits them. Nothing to see here. Move on.

SER19

They should learn from our mistake and just put out a weak team. Even just kids.

I think we were wrong and arguably pool are worse as we pulled out before it started. Pool are pulling out at QF stage and technically robbed other teams of the chance to progress by beating them

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
What kind of club would back out of a domestic cup to play in the Club World Cup?
I presume that the Club World Cup is a more prestigious trophy, no?

I mean Liverpool have never won the CWC, but have won the most Carabao Cups out of anyone. Which trophy would you rather have?

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
I'll approach it using the facts, thanks.

https://talksport.com/football/461718/premier-league-rest-days-festive-christmas-fixture-schedule/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45837741

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...aim-festive-fixtures-favour-rivals-liverpool/

marktan

I presume that the Club World Cup is a more prestigious trophy, no?

I mean Liverpool have never won the CWC, but have won the most Carabao Cups out of anyone. Which trophy would you rather have?
I think Wumminators post was more a joke towards us, United missed the FA Cup in 2000, after winning the CL in 99. Don't really know the reason as I was too young but the FA cups a bigger deal than the league cup anyhow.

The league cup is definitely weakest out of the trophies PL teams can win though, but then I've never really seen anyone take the Club world cup that seriously either.