Liverpool might pull out of Carabao cup

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by DLE, Oct 30, 2019.

1. Oct 31, 2019

MikeeMike New Member

What is weird for me.
    Klopp knew this might arise if they got through so why complain now.
    He played mostly 2nd team v Arsenal so why not v Villa
    Did he “think” they would lose against Arsenal.
  2. Nov 1, 2019

MikeeMike New Member

By the way. Never knew why we didn’t just play reserves in FA Cup (2000) . Weren’t we drawn against Rotherham or so lower league team?
  3. Nov 1, 2019

MrBest Full Member

Leicester City right?
  4. Nov 1, 2019

F-A-C-T-S New Member

The FA could just combine the League Cup match and Saturday Premier fixture...problem solved.
  5. Nov 1, 2019

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Why? I mean, why should it be up to liverpool to intentionally get eliminated? It's Football League's job to ensure there won't be any issues with scheduling, not liverpool's?

Also, Klopp's complaining about the fact their game is scheduled on a date in which they're going to be in Qatar. Again, it's not hard to see why that might be an issue

As for why now, i imagine bringing this up before they actually qualified for the QF would have been kind of in poor taste. I'm sure Liverpool did raise this issue with the FL long before this week though
    Because it'd be a joke. It is one thing for the first team's manager to pick U23 players for a game. That's his decision.

It's quite another for the club to be forced to send the actual U23 team to play a first team's game because the first team is in another continent at the time, manager and coaching stuff included. It makes a mockery of the competition. If the FL is fine with that then they'd basically be saying "oh yeah, the league cup is nothing more than a glorified audi cup, meaningless really. We only want to keep it going because we hate our clubs and want to make trouble for them"
  6. Nov 1, 2019

fergiesarmy1 Full Member

I think the fear was as we at that stage we didn’t know who we were going to get we may have got something like Liverpool away and Fergie didn’t want to put a young team through that in case it got messy and affected the young players confidence.
  7. Nov 1, 2019

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

Never understood this logic.

You've got 64 teams in the hat, and perhaps 3-4 teams who could give the younguns such a hiding that it ruins their careers.

Instead you think, oh we'll just totally blow the cup off, and remove even that chance that we'd get through.

It was a dreadful decision, with the FA a total disgrace, letting us take the heat.

We did appallingly in that nonsense cup as well.
  8. Nov 1, 2019

fergiesarmy1 Full Member

Haha I remember Neville having that nightmare game out there, should have just entered and pulled out if they didn’t fancy it. Wasn’t like the FA was helping us out anyway.
  9. Nov 1, 2019

jus2nang New Member

Supports:
    Arsenal
    This is what I wondered regarding Man Utd 20 years ago.

They could have drawn Rochdale at home or something like that and sent the kids. Why wasn't that option explored?

Could have left the assistant at home to take the team in the FA Cup.

Out of interest (I know it didn't end well), was there not much excitement at the prospect of competing in a 'World Cup' of sorts? I'm talking before the first game.

Bearing in mind the opposition ended up being more than a match for Utd surely you wouldn't say it was a tin pot/mickey mouse endeavor. Coming up against Romario and Edmundo is something I presume would have been taking seriously (I know Paul Scholes wasn't arsed, but the fans might have found it exciting?).
  10. Nov 1, 2019

Warlord New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Liverpool are considering the possibility of fielding two teams in two competitions on the same day, with their Carabao Cup quarter-final against Aston Villa and Club World Cup semi-final potentially clashing. (Mirror)
  11. Nov 1, 2019

Sandikan aka sex on the beach

Love it.
    They'll deffo go out if that happens.
  12. Nov 1, 2019

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    What is the point of a competition even the organizers consider to be a joke, exactly?

Just scratch the league cup altogether
  13. Nov 1, 2019

Speedy30 Liverpool Fan

Supports:
    Liverpool
    CWC Team
    Becker
    Alexander-Arnold
    Van Dijk
    Lovren
    Milner
    Fabinho
    Henderson
    Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Mane
    Origi
    Shaqiri

League Cup Team
    Adrian
    Williams
    Matip
    Van Den Berg
    Robertson
    Wijnaldum
    Keita
    Lallana
    Salah
    Firmino
    Elliott

Our benches would be exceptionally weak but those two teams would give us the best chance of winning both games before the squad join together for the CWC final/3rd place match the following weekend
  14. Nov 1, 2019

TheReligion Abusive

Very risky with regards to injuries
  15. Nov 1, 2019

MikeeMike New Member

bringing up before would be in “poor taste” then “im sure they did”. Look they fielded a different team (pretty much) v Arsenal so why not in next round. Dont really see the problem.
  16. Nov 1, 2019

Speedy30 Liverpool Fan

Supports:
    Liverpool
    I think he means bringing it into the public eye would have been in poor taste. Can you imagine the outcry if Liverpool came out before the match and started talking about rescheduling a game that we hadn't even qualified for yet? We'd have been called arrogant and disrespectful of our opponents. Much better to keep quiet in public and then talk about it once it was definitely going to be a problem
  17. Nov 2, 2019

alexthelion New Member

I believe we offered to play a "reserve" team in the 3rd (?) round but the FA said no.
  18. Nov 2, 2019

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    ...bcause they choose to send a weakened team before. Because it was still Liverpool's first team, just full of kids

It's different, and it matters. What you're talking about here is the FL forcing liverpool to send the actual U23 side, coaches and all, to play a first team game. The very people who organize the competition, essentially distorting it.

Btw, since you guys keep talking about just playing the kids: Lovren, Gomez, Milner, Lallana, Ox, Keita started their first game. Gomez, Milner, Lallana, Ox, Keita, Origi started the second. That's 6 out of 11. And those guys will be in Qatar on the 16th of December
  19. Nov 2, 2019

_00_deathscar New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    It's a bit weird really - I'm not saying that the League Cup should *only* be pandering to the big teams here, but let's face it, they're the ones that draw in the $$$. And I'm not even talking Manchester City etc - specifically Liverpool, Man Utd and the like.
    We just played one of the most incredible/insane League Cup ties, ever.
    The competition is in serious need of promotion, because it's becoming increasingly sidelined. They're still stuck in the 80s when it was a semi decent Cup to win.
    (Before anyone accuses Liverpool fans of calling it a tinpot cup, I'd still love to win it - but it's WAY, WAY low down on the priority list - and the gap has only increased).

So let's show complete inflexibility and have the team that is probably going to draw the biggest interest, basically kicked out.

From a business/marketing standpoint, it's a bit dumb.
  20. Nov 2, 2019

Foxbatt Full Member

I agree with Klopp on this. There is too much demand on the players just for the authorities to make money. These are human beings though they may be paid a lot of money. We have the WC every 4 years and the Euros every 4 years. The African Cup is being held every 2 years. Why can't they do it every 4 years too? The same with CONCAF. They should play every 4 years.
  21. Nov 4, 2019

Pantscat New Member

Hi,

Sorry, I’m pretty new here and only just realised you replied to me.

I wouldn’t know how to go about finding newspaper reports from the time but I distinctly remember this being discussed in the papers. I remember it as clearly as I remember anything. Of course, I’m not claiming it was true but it was certainly in the papers (or at least a paper - memory is a funny thing and it’s possible that I read it once and I’ve misremembered it as being more widespread). I can give you my absolute assurance that I read this at the time
  22. Nov 5, 2019

Klopper76 "Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Sorted.

We'll probably go out against Villa but no big deal.
  23. Nov 5, 2019

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

If they play a weakened side in either comp, I demand a massive points deduction in the league.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  24. Nov 5, 2019

Supports:
    Liverpool
    That's 15 games in the next 58 days.
  25. Nov 5, 2019

NYAS Full Member

:lol: That’s ridiculous
  26. Nov 5, 2019

Theonas Full Member Scout

Anyone knows why they can't just play the League Cup game on a PL day and postpone the corresponding PL games for both clubs to a later date?
  27. Nov 5, 2019

B20 HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Madness. Why aren't we playing Monday?
  28. Nov 5, 2019

VorZakone What would Kenny G do?

Why not get rid of the Carabao Cup and support the smaller teams in other ways financially? Literally no one genuinely cares about this cup.
  29. Nov 5, 2019

fergies coat Full Member

The league cup needs to be scrapped. It’s a waste of time. Two domestic cup competitions are not needed.
  30. Nov 5, 2019

charlenefan Far less insightful than the other Charley

Surely with enough Carabao the same set of players can handle both games? ;)
  31. Nov 5, 2019

Finn MacCool Full Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Game on the Saturday and Wednesday either side of that Monday. Scheduling in England is farcical but the root cause of the problem is too many games due to two domestic cup competitions.
  32. Nov 5, 2019

duffer Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's Scout

If only they were allowed to have a squad of 28 odd players to cope with this sort of thing.
  33. Nov 5, 2019

Supports:
    Liverpool
    Not sure how we'll line up against Villa.

34. Nov 5, 2019

Sky12 New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    Didn't you guys do the same thing way back when you were successful? The bias of football fans is cringeworthy at times
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2019
  35. Nov 5, 2019

Wayne's World Full Member

Bet you they will be 5-0 down at Villa Park and somehow manage to win 6-5 even with their under 12's out
  36. Nov 5, 2019

dwd Saturday Night Spies

:lol: exactly!
  37. Nov 5, 2019

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Club's decision

I guess you choose you'd rather just send the U23 and go out than reschedule
  38. Nov 5, 2019

Megadrive Man New Member

Supports:
    Liverpool
    It basically means that Liverpool will have to play the same sort of under 21 team that lost all 3 games in the EFT trophy including a 5-2 Thumping to Accrington Stanley!

Its an absolute shoe in of a victory for Villa!
  39. Nov 5, 2019

shamans Hoser

BTW, Zlatan gave an "I always win wherever I go" speech after winning this cup. Was one of the most cringe moments in football
  40. Nov 5, 2019

Cloud7 Full Member

Agreed. There’s absolutely no need for two domestic cup competitions. Added to that the FA cup is reasonably more prestigious than your run of the mill domestic cup competition, so you’re left wondering what is the point of the league cup?