Liverpool will win the league

erikcred

Nah, they won't.

City will win the league. That is - by far, by some distance - the likeliest outcome.
This thread doesn't quite have the "jinxy" feeling of the one from 18/19.

Guess many are quite confident that City will overhaul them comfortably.

always_hoping

Except we're much worse.
Much the same. Liverpool in the 90s as United in the last decade had few 3rd and 2nd place finishes. 8th in 1994 the lowest Liverpool fell compared to United 7th in 2014. Both had a few 6th place finishes also.

jadaba

Nah, they won't.

City will win the league. That is - by far, by some distance - the likeliest outcome.
I know they're not far behind but I can see a mental burnout from City affecting them after the heights of last season's accomplishment, while there's a menacing drive about this Liverpool team whose only loss this season has been a result of a VAR howler. Liverpool can also now boast they have the experience to guard their place at the top to avoid repeating the sort of silly throwaways done by Arsenal towards the end of last season. I don't see Liverpool losing it.

Guy Incognito

This thread doesn't quite have the "jinxy" feeling of the one from 18/19.

Guess many are quite confident that City will overhaul them comfortably.
Liverpool basically can't afford to go deep in the Europa. No team has won the PL doing so.

The fixture list will fall kindly to City, regardless if they get out of the CL at the quarter or semi final stage. And if City are top come March, you can't see how they get overhauled. People underestimate the psychological impact of playing a day or two after the leader and needing to respond rather than put out a statement.

If Klopp is moaning about Saturday 1230, you can bet he will make some comments.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
Got a bad feeling about it to be honest. Although Salah being away at AFCON could be huge. Fingers crossed for Egypt making the final.
Gonna be tough. I just hope Mbappe fits in nicely in January

Josh 76

I don't think they will miss Salah in January, but they may not get the same Salah when he's back. He usually takes time to settle back. When he went two years ago, he was shocking when he returned. (And he was two years younger then).

Hester_manc

They will win the league, unless they fall apart. It is the "perfect" situation for them. City is performing worse than in many seasons. Tottenham and Arsenal are going to fall apart - it happens every time they are close to something big. Chelsea is a midtable team. United are unstable. Villa won't be able to win the league - it will be as unlikely as when Leicester won it, and it will require all the bigger clubs to collapse in terms of results. And Villa will finish outside the top 4. Newcastle are not good enough yet.

The Hammers and Brighton are not good enough and they will probably also finish below United

City are the only contenders for the title as I see it. Although they have underperformed in the first half of the season.

City, Liverpool, Arsenal and Tottenham will finish in top 4

Gfooty

They will win the league, unless they fall apart. It is the "perfect" situation for them. City is performing worse than in many seasons.
They will fall apart. Salah will be out and come back gassed without anyone to pickup the slack. City has a much better bench and won't miss any players other than (already) injured.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
They will fall apart. Salah will be out and come back gassed without anyone to pickup the slack. City has a much better bench and won't miss any players other than (already) injured.
I don't see them falling apart . I make City favourites but there won't be much between them.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I'm slowly getting to the point of preferring Liverpool over city, or at least be indifferent to it.

Marcus

Liverpool will win the league. There is no doubt at all.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
City will win it for sure.
As of now, top 4 clubs has not much in between them.
Villa is this season's Newcastle, they will remain stable as they don't seem to have injury concern and european commitment.
The key difference will be Refereeing & VAR.
As much as people likes to moan, the fact of the matter is only 1 team actually gained direct point because these inept decisions.
City gained points meanwhile Liverpool, Arsenal, and Villa all lost points.
Sporadic controversial decisions might give illusion that it all even out but it's not true at all when you scrutinised the number.
In a tight title race, it will be the deciding factor.

erikcred

City will win it for sure.
As of now, top 4 clubs has not much in between them.
Villa is this season's Newcastle, they will remain stable as they don't seem to have injury concern and european commitment.
The key difference will be Refereeing & VAR.
As much as people likes to moan, the fact of the matter is only 1 team actually gained direct point because these inept decisions.
City gained points meanwhile Liverpool, Arsenal, and Villa all lost points.
Sporadic controversial decisions might give illusion that it all even out but it's not true at all when you scrutinised the number.
In a tight title race, it will be the deciding factor.
Sure, Liverpool were on the wrong end of these inept decisions against Arsenal and Spurs. But what about the remaining 36 matches?

Just look at the Newcastle game and the second penalty they got because the goalkeeper looked at Jota funny.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Sure, Liverpool were on the wrong end of these inept decisions against Arsenal and Spurs. But what about the remaining 36 matches?

Just look at the Newcastle game and the second penalty they got because the goalkeeper looked at Jota funny.
I made emphasis on direct point gained or loss.
Isolating that Jota incident the other day, it extended the score from 3-2 to 4-2.
Looking at all how the game went and all relevant stats, Newcastle was hapless.
So direct point gained/lost is not relevant in this case.

We are past halfway through the season already, so enough there are games to make up data pool already and to make informed predictions.
City has gained maybe 2-3 points due to these kind if decision.
Meanwhile the other 3 teams has lost 2-4 points already.
Going in the same trajectory, that is potentially 10-12 points swing in favor of City.
Again, in the title race this tight, it really matters.

erikcred

Isolating that Jota incident the other day, it extended the score from 3-2 to 4-2.

Considering hapless Newcastle were one shot away from getting back on level terms, there is a vast difference between 3-2 and 4-2 near the end of the game.

We are past halfway through the season already, so enough there are games to make up data pool already and to make informed predictions.
Going in the same trajectory, that is potentially 10-12 points swing in favor of City.
:houllier:

Pulling numbers out of thin air is not an informed prediction.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Considering hapless Newcastle were one shot away from getting back on level terms, there is a vast difference between 3-2 and 4-2 near the end of the game.

:houllier:

Pulling numbers out of thin air is not an informed prediction.
I have said my piece.
Too lazy to pull up all the stats and incidents.
No prize also to convincing you.
You're definitely free to continue believing what you perceived.

Last edited:

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I prefer City to win because they are a fake club whose wins will count for nothing.
Liverpool winning is hell as a United fan but city exemplify everything that's wrong with football today, every single one of their triumphs makes me lose faith in the game just a tad more.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Honestly I’m more worried about the Mbappe links than this years title race. With him, they could create a gap with us. Hopefully it’s just a tactic to rush Madrid.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Honestly I’m more worried about the Mbappe links than this years title race. With him, they could create a gap with us. Hopefully it’s just a tactic to rush Madrid.
His wages are more then half their squad combined

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I’d say there’s a bigger chance we bring in Messi.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
City have Kdb back, they've shown they don't even need Haaland.

They still have to play Liverpool away, so still in their hands, if they win all games.

Given the last 3 years, hard to bet against them.

always_hoping

City have Kdb back, they've shown they don't even need Haaland.

They still have to play Liverpool away, so still in their hands, if they win all games.

Given the last 3 years, hard to bet against them.
KDB has been injury prone a lot the last year or so and remains to be seen how long before he gets up to speed.

14 goals in 15 Premier league games for Haaland this season take that out where would they be currently in the table? if they are to mount a serious challenge to Liverpool they'll certainly need him.

That match in Anfield puts in more in Liverpool hands given they record at home and that includes against City.

Josh 76

KDB has been injury prone a lot the last year or so and remains to be seen how long before he gets up to speed.

14 goals in 15 Premier league games for Haaland this season take that out where would they be currently in the table? if they are to mount a serious challenge to Liverpool they'll certainly need him.

That match in Anfield puts in more in Liverpool hands given they record at home and that includes against City.
That game at Anfield is a few days after Citys CL game against Copenhagen (at home). I'm not sure if Liverpool have their EL game that week. If they don't, then that could be a huge advantage to Liverpool.

But having said that, City should comfortably beat Copenhagen with some of their squad players.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich

How many points for the wrong VAR call when Grealish was free on goal vs Spurs and wrongly called back

devlinadl

If city don’t win it, Liverpool will. But City will win it…

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Yes Man City were famously short of goals before they signed Haaland

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Exactly. This doesn't affect us in any way. Having the most titles isn't helping us win right now so if Liverpool tie us with 20, what harm is it going to do?
It's still 13 PL's to United and one Covid League to Liverpool.
It'll take a lot to catch us.

Nogho

The sole circumstance under which I could tolerate a Liverpool victory would be if Klopp were to depart for the German national team or the Saudi League feeling "done". Otherwise, I wish for a triumph by Manchester City. Another victory for them carries no weight whatsoever. They have employed the Konami cheat code for far too long, rendering their achievements inconsequential and worth nothing.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
The sole circumstance under which I could tolerate a Liverpool victory would be if Klopp were to depart for the German national team or the Saudi League feeling "done". Otherwise, I wish for a triumph by Manchester City. Another victory for them carries no weight whatsoever. They have employed the Konami cheat code for far too long, rendering their achievements inconsequential and worth nothing.
Klopp ain’t coaching that shower of shite until they have a better generation of players

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Just putting it out there, I think Mbappe would bring toxicity to a dressing room. Just the vibe I get from him, maybe because of the extent he’s had it his own way at PSG.

We never sign players at their peak like that anyway. Thiago is the only one and Bayern were happy to let him go which speaks volumes. Maybe Alisson.

Everyone else we’ve signed would be in the up and coming bracket.

Strangest Tribe

If they win it then they win it, sod all we can do about it so may as well just accept it, we are light years away from winning another title so their total is pretty meaningless to us.

Tyrion

It's still 13 PL's to United and one Covid League to Liverpool.
It'll take a lot to catch us.
Fair point. That league was interrupted due to Covid so really it wasn't a full season so really, it isn't a full trophy. It's 13 to 0.8.