Liverpool

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
If Suarez leaves I am expecting us to shop from a rather more upscale shelf for his replacement.
Price is irrelevant it is what you get from the player that is important if you pay 9million and he is 3/4 the player Suarez is/was then he is/was worth it imo. Spending big just for the sake of spending big makes little sense. Plus who would you really look to get. 10-20 million is your price range currently.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Price is irrelevant it is what you get from the player that is important if you pay 9million and he is 3/4 the player Suarez is/was then he is/was worth it imo. Spending big just for the sake of spending big makes little sense. Plus who would you really look to get. 10-20 million is your price range currently.
True.

However, I fully expected another attacking player to join anyway, doesn't necessarily mean Suarez is leaving. Guess time will tell.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
However, I fully expected another attacking player to join anyway, doesn't necessarily mean Suarez is leaving. Guess time will tell.

Liverpool don't have much football to play next season. Why would they need four forwards? The new guy, Suarez, Sturridge, and Borini. With the 4-3-3 system BR use, the front 3 will be Coutinho + 2 others. If another one is a winger (to keep width), than only one spot left for 4 forwards. Even if you use 2 forwards, there would be 2 more on the bench.

I think Liverpool will sell one of their 4 forwards.

Devil may care

I think it's Kyriakos Papadopoulos. He was also linked with us after some very good performances in the Euros last year. There is a possibility that they can price him away from Schalke, after Santana's switch from Dortmund.

I am not sure how he has done for Schalke this season. May be one of the German posters can enlighten us.
I can't recall him from the Euros but I've seen £16M quoted for him so I'd imagine that when you couple it with the £9M they have just spent on Aspas, that would be pretty much it for Liverpool this summer unless they sell Suarez.

As limited a player as he is he looked quite capable at the back end of Kenny's first season. Only to get shafted and sent out on loan when Allen came in. Which was quite bizarre really.
He was scrappy that's for sure, not sure he fits with Rodgers vision of turning Liverpool into Barcelona though. How did he do on loan at Bolton?

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
True.

That is enough imo you have Sterling and Ibe coming through also. I agree it doesn't but you will do well to hold on to him. A few big teams want strikers and there are not many better than him.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
We might not think much of them spending ONLY (Isn't it crazy how £8 million seems so little these days?) that much on a player/replacement for Suarez possibly, but it's a hell of a lot better to spend that amount on only a 'good' or 'decent' player than on overpriced, overrated players like Downing, Carroll and Henderson.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Liverpool don't have much football to play next season. Why would they need four forwards? The new guy, Suarez, Sturridge, and Borini. With the 4-3-3 system BR use, the front 3 will be Coutinho + 2 others. If another one is a winger (to keep width), than only one spot left for 4 forwards. Even if you use 2 forwards, there would be 2 more on the bench.

I think Liverpool will sell one of their 4 forwards.
Maybe, have to wait and see - I honestly don't know. Brendan has said a few weeks ago we need more goals so it's logical to add another attacking player.
If you are to challenge for top 4 you need options after all, maybe Borini will be sold. Who knows.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
We might not think much of them spending ONLY (Isn't it crazy how £8 million seems so little these days?) that much on a player/replacement for Suarez possibly, but it's a hell of a lot better to spend that amount on only a 'good' or 'decent' player than on overpriced, overrated players like Downing, Carroll and Henderson.
It'a also crazy to think that we signed Coutinho & Sturridge for the same price we paid for Downing.

We've wasted god knows how much over the past 20 odd years on expensive crap. After watching Kenny add to that list, I think our new owners have put a stop to that. It seems a lot more thought & research goes on now to potential signings. We're going after players who are hungry & have something to prove, rather than established stars who think they've made it after signing a big, fat contract with Liverpool.

ShadesOfTomato

Supports
Liverpool
Suarez fecking off and Sturridge limping off with 'ligament damage'. Think it's time for a stiff drink.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
according to Twitter they've signed a young Barca midfielder

also hearing that they are talking to Julio Ceasar

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
according to Twitter they've signed a young Barca midfielder

also hearing that they are talking to Julio Ceasar
Luis Alberto is the young midfielder rumoured to be signing, don't know anything about him to be honest.

If true the club are certainly getting business done early.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
According to Balague:

"Luis Alberto is the other Spanish player that is about to agree to join Liverpool.
A midfielder in the Xavi/Iniesta mould.
Luis Alberto can play midfield/forward, and is on loan from Sevilla.
So wasn't in the hands of FC Barca. Great buy from Liverpool"

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
His wiki page has been updated.

Luis Alberto Romero Alconchel (born 28 September 1992 in San José del Valle, Cádiz), known as Luis Alberto, is a Spanish sex pest who plays for FC Barcelona B on loan from Sevilla FC, as a goal scoring machine.

Football career

A product of Sevilla FC's youth ranks, Luis Alberto spent his first two seasons as a senior with the B team in the third division, scoring 15 goals in his second. On 16 April 2011 he made his first-team – and La Liga – debut for the Andalusians, replacing another club youth graduate, Rodri, in the second half of a 0–1 away loss against Getafe CF.

In August 2012 Luis Alberto was loaned to FC Barcelona B in a one-year deal, with the Catalans having the option to make the move permanent at the end of the season. He made his official debut on 2 September, playing two minutes in a 2–0 home win over CE Sabadell FC. Romero would then sign for Liverpool FC and score like 30 goals in his first season coz #yolo
What the feck is a 'sex pest'? :lol:

Bross

Noggie Pez Dispenser
Chillin with Giggsy at the Retardment Castle
Liverpool are in an interesting spot transfer wise. Even for their poor seasons lately they are still regarded in a tier higher than all other mid table clubs like Everton et al. For all young talents whose main interest at the moment is not money, Liverpool is a good choice, as they are guaranteed playing time there to a much greater extent than at the real top clubs (us, City, Arse, Chelsea). Theres only really Tottenham that fit in the same bracket, and their first 11 is a lot more solid and settled than Liverpool's. It would be easier for a player like Eriksen to break into Pool than other English top clubs (or Dortmund for that matter, where he wont get any time at all on the pitch).

Scandinavian's have traditionally a strong connection to English football. I think Eriksen to Liverpool isnt that farfetched. Hes also a bit overrated. Liverpool is his level if he wants to play regularily.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Hes also a bit overrated. Liverpool is his level if he wants to play regularily.
Agree with that. Still think he has talent to be a top draw player, but he is not there yet.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
A) a La Masia graduate, .
This about wraps it up. It's almost Lucas Leiva levels of overatedness.

Reina has just had his worst season in a Liverpool shirt. He has been dreadful with possession and made a mess of plenty. I presume B20 is wumming.
Seems to be serious. He was absolutely horrendous with the extra responsibility of playing with the ball at his feet.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It'a also crazy to think that we signed Coutinho & Sturridge for the same price we paid for Downing.

We've wasted god knows how much over the past 20 odd years on expensive crap. After watching Kenny add to that list, I think our new owners have put a stop to that. It seems a lot more thought & research goes on now to potential signings. We're going after players who are hungry & have something to prove, rather than established stars who think they've made it after signing a big, fat contract with Liverpool.
Aye, though tbf you could say Henderson and Allen are hungry and have something to prove but both have been rather underwhelming for you. I think Henderson has the potential to be a solid squad player at least for a top 4 club though. You overpaid for Allen and Borini it could be said although the latter did struggle with injury through the season. But hey, at least it's not £35 million.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
A forward hey? That's the second one right? Suarez must be leaving.

If they kept him, I'd say they would of had a big chance of trying to get into Europa next season. Losing Suarez would take them a few steps back - unless this Alberto guy and the other fella set the league a light.

Traub

Liverpool are making some good signings. If they can keep hold of Suarez and bring in a decent CB, they could mount a challenge for fourth.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Is this guy any good? Never see him play.

Have seen Aspas a couple of times and he seemed OK. Nothing special.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Barcelona B decided not to take up their option on him, not sure if that is telling of his ability or the price.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Barcelona B decided not to take up their option on him, not sure if that is telling of his ability or the price.

FCbarca said price, not ability... So it could turn out well for them.

It's bizarre that they are not signing any defenders. But hey, who am I to complain.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
You'd think that with them getting deals done nice and early they'd have wrapped that one up instantly. Personally I'll be delighted if they go into next season with Agger and Skrtel in defense in front of Reina.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
You'd think that with them getting deals done nice and early they'd have wrapped that one up instantly. Personally I'll be delighted if they go into next season with Agger and Skrtel in defense in front of Reina.
Actually they don't concern me in the slightest. But if they had a good side around that back 3 I actually would be worried.

Assuming Suarez leaves its the best part of their side,

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Actually they don't concern me in the slightest. But if they had a good side around that back 3 I actually would be worried.

Assuming Suarez leaves its the best part of their side,

Skrtel and Reina cannot play with the ball at their feet. Skrtel is beyond hopeless at playing out and Reina's much fabled 'distribution' last year was horrifying. Especially in a 'build up' and not fast break style counter attacking system (which imo is Reina's bread and butter in terms of distribution).

Agger is a half a season out injured waiting to happen. If Martin Kelly can get back into the picture for the first team then it will be a big plus for them as he showed some serious promise before he was injured last year.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
I too am slightly surprised most of the talk, rumour has been about attacking players. I don't know much about Alberto to be honest, Alpas I like having seen him play a few times, more of a Suarez type than any other linked with us. Mkhitaryan is much more expensive, and from what I have heard the deal more complex, again I haven't seen a great deal of him, but those who have say he is quality.
Also strongly linked with Porto winger Christian Atsu.
That all said I am certain a centre back is still on the cards, and with doubts about Skrtel/Coates we may even need 2.
Might be dependant on Kelly or Wisdom being a suitable back up.
Possible a Reina out Mignolet in also.

I also think we need a new left back for competition for Enrique.
At the moment I can't see Suarez staying, Assaidi not sure why he was bought as he has hardly had a chance.
We could have quite an interesting midfield, forward line if you add in the likes of Suso, Sterling, Coutinho and Sturridge.

Time will tell what is going on I guess.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
The philosophy of promoting from within and the need to see local Merseyside boys in the team has been swiftly shelved by Rodgers.

Is there another manager who plays the fans as much as this man.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
The philosophy of promoting from within and the need to see local Merseyside boys in the team has been swiftly shelved by Rodgers.

Is there another manager who plays the fans as much as this man.

He has given the likes of Wisdom, Suso, Ibe and Sterling a chance - more than any other recent manager he has used the youth, partly because of need maybe, however I think we need to see what happens before we judge him on that one going forwards.

CallyRed

Looks like they are close to signing Luis Alberto from Sevilla this morning.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
Ibe and Suso are local Merseyside talent now? Only in Merseyside.

He is giving youth a chance, that was my point. Sterling has been at the club a few years, so
has Wisdom, Kelly, Suso and more.
How many local Manchester lads are there in United's first team?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
He is giving youth a chance, that was my point. Sterling has been at the club a few years, so
has Wisdom, Kelly, Suso and more.
How many local Manchester lads are there in United's first team?

Only Kelly of that lot is from Greater Merseyside(he isnt from the city of Liverpool).

RedRover

Only Kelly of that lot is from Greater Merseyside(he isnt from the city of Liverpool).
The players he referred to are youth team products - I cant see how where they're from makes any difference at all. United have players in their youth team from all over the world. Still a positive if youg talent makes it into the first team.

To give Rodgers his due, he's tried to push a few youth players on. It makes sense for a club without big money to spend but to be fair the players need to be good enough or you're only going to go one way.